• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

nataku

Wonder if the initial attack will be instanced or we have to be online at a certain time to see it.

Has to be instanced. If it's a one time thing that you have to be online at a certain time to see people will flip the fuck out. The complaints from the first time they did it with those stupid karka attacks will pale in comparison.

There's no way ANet is stupid enough to put something as big and important as this behind a one time event.

Proven

I never did the Sea of Sorrows tie in stuff but since I had to swap out my .dat file in order to make space for Titanfall (I really need to replace my harddrive) I'll have to jump on it tomorrow before the update. Maybe.

Then I'll play GW2 for the day and run back to Titanfall. Also, Titanfall.

Remfin

I wish that were true, but I personally know people who did Queensdale/Frostgorge non-stop for weeks, then quit saying the game is a boring zergfest.And you see threads on Reddit started all the time, by these kinds of people. It's not a huge part of the population, but it's enough to blip on the radar.
Well, I won't doubt some of those people exist, and that you know of them. But the Reddit posters? Do you know how few people that play these games muster any energy at all to post about it? If they're clued in enough to post on the official forums or go find a Reddit for it, they aren't that "dumb"; they're trolls who know it will rile people up.

On the other hand, I can believe some of the people whining about ANet trying to make them learn things. That's just dumb-headed pride. Although the over-the-top ones are obviously trolls.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Has to be instanced. If it's a one time thing that you have to be online at a certain time to see people will flip the fuck out. The complaints from the first time they did it with those stupid karka attacks will pale in comparison.

There's no way ANet is stupid enough to put something as big and important as this behind a one time event.
Agreed, though it would be cool to be there for "the first time."

Having LA be in a perma-dangerous state for however long is going to be insane...

Wish I didn't have jury duty tomorrow :p

Arken2121

T4fRi7Y.jpg

"Oh lawd, praise the gods so that LA will be saved."

TrueNorth

Neo Member
If you guys got a spot in the guild I'd like to join. Just a heads up I'm new so I don't know much about the game. :p
Zephon.4081

I'm just a little bit ahead of you in not knowing much about the game, but the FAQs at the head of the thread help, so dive in. If you've ever played an MMO it helps a lil bit, but it's still different enough to need a little bit of FAQ help. Good luck and happy hunting!

:)

TrueNorth AKA Elftower

By Thursday i should have my Full set of ascended armor, damn armor is fucking ugly..
Tell me about it. The individual details of each piece are outstanding, but the whole heavy set is less than the sum of their parts. After I made mine, I ran around Divinity's Reach, killed Ulgoth, took a few screenshots in the character select screen for posterity, then transmutated the set back to my previous armor. No regrets.

hythloday

I don't think a dragon will happen in LA yet. Not tomorrow anyway.

Also, I don't know if I'm alone in this, but I'm a bit worried about the hype for tomorrow's update. We've seen a lot of tweets from ArenaNet people about it along with some interviews, and I do think it's going to be good, but I think people are rolling with the "Lion's Arch is going to be destroyed" thing a fuckton. It makes me concerned that the execution won't match the expectation. If we get anything short of a nuclear bomb going off, people are just going to say "Pfft, this is nothing, we'll clean this up and the Lion statue will come back like it always does."

Personally, I think it would have had greater impact if we knew significantly less about the coming update than we do. Like, going from the last update... the portal opened, the probe turned green, and people figure out LA was probably the next target. That's all fine. But if they'd withheld the "Goodbye LA, you'll never be the same again" talk and dialed down the previews, it had the potential to be shocking, not exactly like another Searing, but definitely a jarring surprise and a nice story twist.

To me it's just not as fun when we know what's coming. We don't know exactly what's coming, to be sure, but we know a rough outline of how it will start.

Ashodin

Also, I don't know if I'm alone in this, but I'm a bit worried about the hype for tomorrow's update. We've seen a lot of tweets from ArenaNet people about it along with some interviews, and I do think it's going to be good, but I think people are rolling with the "Lion's Arch is going to be destroyed" thing a fuckton. It makes me concerned that the execution won't match the expectation. If we get anything short of a nuclear bomb going off, people are just going to say "Pfft, this is nothing, we'll clean this up and the Lion statue will come back like it always does."

Personally, I think it would have had greater impact if we knew significantly less about the coming update than we do. Like, going from the last update... the portal opened, the probe turned green, and people figure out LA was probably the next target. That's all fine. But if they'd withheld the "Goodbye LA, you'll never be the same again" talk and dialed down the previews, it had the potential to be shocking, not exactly like another Searing, but definitely a jarring surprise and a nice story twist.

To me it's just not as fun when we know what's coming. We don't know exactly what's coming, to be sure, but we know a rough outline of how it will start.
seeing the trailer though... there's a lot of LA that's smashed up to bits.

hythloday

That's exactly my point. Part of what I was saying is that LA being smashed to bits would have greater impact if we didn't already see pieces of it in the trailer and read tweets about it. Just have "there's going to be an attack on LA" and then we're all surprised at how fucked up it gets.

Retro

Right, but what she means is, anything less than a dragon bursting from the ground and turning every square inch of Lion's Arch to ash is going to be considered a failure because the hype levels are too high for utter destruction.

Shiokazu

nobody said that LA would be shut down for good.

its the beginning of a siege. and i would have liked it more if no dragons were involved...

Jira

Here's how I think tomorrow will go down:

Spawn into LA, instance starts, invasion happens in the instance, do stuff in there and then you're booted to real LA where everything is in chaos. We surely won't see the drill used tomorrow as Scarlet has to actually assault LA and get into place to use it.

Next update:

Spawn into LA?, instance starts, drill turns on, some crazy shit happens, aftermath of said crazy shit all over Tyira, end of season, see you in X amount of weeks for S2. Have fun with the new events all over the world.

Note this is all my own assumptions.

jersoc

nobody said that LA would be shut down for good.

its the beginning of a siege. and i would have liked it more if no dragons were involved...
I saw peck in gchat the other day saying that. Seems like LA will be back.

I think this event is getting too hyped. Though I do hope its fun if anything.

Jira

I saw peck in gchat the other day saying that. Seems like LA will be back.

I think this event is getting too hyped. Though I do hope its fun if anything.

I do think that it will be back as well, just rebuilt and we'll have a part in the rebuilding process in some fashion.

Aquila

Hopefully LA is just rebuilt to a standard suiting its supposed grandeur. For all its talk about being a melting pot and economic power, it still looks like a ramshackle refugee camp in large parts of the city. You even have the local big box superstores BLTC and Consortium pushing out the the piddly street corner vendors and a gigantic, broken porcelain toilet serving as a tourist attraction. I'm sure the living story will be fine but I really want to see LA reborn as a portside Divinity's Reach with wood and pirate ships all around it Black Citadel style.

I now have the strange urge to make a new character, buy a commander tag, and be known as "Commander Have You Heard About Titanfall?"

Hopefully LA is just rebuilt to a standard suiting its supposed grandeur. For all its talk about being a melting pot and economic power, it still looks like a ramshackle refugee camp in large parts of the city. You even have the local big box superstores BLTC and Consortium pushing out the the piddly street corner vendors and a gigantic, broken porcelain toilet serving as a tourist attraction. I'm sure the living story will be fine but I really want to see LA reborn as a portside Divinity's Reach with wood and pirate ships all around it Black Citadel style.

I now have the strange urge to make a new character, buy a commander tag, and be known as "Commander Have You Heard About Titanfall?"

I get your meaning, but there's a historical relevance to the current look. I wouldn't mind a slightly updated redesign if we're to rebuild the city but I needs to retain much of it's current theme because of what happened there, how it happened, and what it means to Tyria as a whole.

Aquila

As long as the city actually looks like its infrastructure is finally improving I'll be happy. As it is, I do think pretty much the entire captain's council is embezzling funds (but they're pirates).

Hyunashi

I swear people have been calling for an attack on LA for a while now, not just the last couple of weeks. Its not the first time a GW2 update is over-hyped and it wont be the last.

Anyways, for this update I hope some notable NPCs meet their demise. Obviously it will be instanced but hopefully by the start of season 2, LA will be in ruins and we will have a new hub to enjoy
Dominion of Winds pls.

Jira

I swear people have been calling for an attack on LA for a while now, not just the last couple of weeks. Its not the first time a GW2 update is over-hyped and it wont be the last.

Anyways, for this update I hope some notable NPCs meet their demise. Obviously it will be instanced but hopefully by the start of season 2, LA will be in ruins and we will have a new hub to enjoy
Dominion of Winds pls.

They're going to instance the start of it where Scarlet attacks, then you'll get kicked out into the burning real LA (think like what happened when the Kessex update started) and everyone will go from there together.

I re-started playing GW2 a few days ago, I'm still level 23. I was wondering, where can I find the story of GW2 so that I can understand what will happen in the tomorrow's update?

They never post patch notes before 12 EST. And usually, they only appear a few hours after anyway.

Remember when the only time to get excited about a content patch in an MMO, was every 6 months, or every few years when an xpac is on the way? And here we are, every two weeks, getting all hype and shit.

The future is awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom