• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was playing a hard instance the other day that was a bit beyond my level and I was getting my ass kicked. I asked a higher level fella to help which he did. Then he gave me 10 gold. That was nice of him.
Is that a lot? Any ideas what a level 8 character should do with that?
Grand scheme, that isn't much. But for a new player it is quite a bit. I recommend saving it until you get to level 20 or so, then spend a few silver on masterwork gear.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I was playing a hard instance the other day that was a bit beyond my level and I was getting my ass kicked. I asked a higher level fella to help which he did. Then he gave me 10 gold. That was nice of him.
Is that a lot? Any ideas what a level 8 character should do with that?
best thing by far about that 10g that you'll be able to spend it on your master and Grandmaster trait books. :)

Retro

Somebody is going to wander into this thread some day and is going to wonder why the hell everyone seems to hate it so much.

Retro

I completely fucking forgot Mission Makeups today, though in my defense my mother-in-law is in the hospital and we're about to leave to visit her. I hope nobody needed anything too urgently.

Especially with Kos saying it's dead and the guild is dead every day.

To be fair "I'm cancelling my subscription" is still funny.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I completely fucking forgot Mission Makeups today, though in my defense my mother-in-law is in the hospital and we're about to leave to visit her. I hope nobody needed anything too urgently.

To be fair "I'm cancelling my subscription" is still funny.

Next up on the official forums: a thread demanding Anet add a subscription tier so people can unsubscribe.

siN4o86.jpg

Retro

Next up on the official forums: a thread demanding Anet add a subscription tier so people can unsubscribe.

I actually wouldn't mind if they had a way to set up a recurring gem purchase. Seems like there's usually *something* I wouldn't mind buying so just having them toss me $10 worth of gems every month would just be convenient. I know Turbine had a similar feature when it switched LotRO to F2P.

Shit. Looks like he offended Eskimos.

To be fair, as a walrus he's probably had nothing but bad experiences with the Inuit. I swear he gets banned on a regular basis, though, more than anyone else I see on GAF except maybe a few of the people in the Pictures thread.

Edit: Lots of bans in that thread, I think he was trying to make a joke but it wasn't the right thread for lightheartedness.

I actually wouldn't mind if they had a way to set up a recurring gem purchase. Seems like there's usually *something* I wouldn't mind buying so just having them toss me $10 worth of gems every month would just be convenient.
I vote no. Would feel too much like a subscription, despite me knowing better. If I'm paying for gems, I want to actually take a minute and think about it.

Do I really want this? Don't I have enough gold to just convert to gems? Why am I saving up gold, anyways?

"Buy once, subscribe never" should also apply to recurring payments. It's supposed to be one of their strengths. One scenario I can think of is, what if you took a 5 month hiatus from the game and came back to see thousands of gems to your account but $50 poorer and nothing interesting in the gem store at the moment? I'll make an independent transaction each time I want to thank Anet for their content.

Retro

I vote no. Would feel too much like a subscription, despite me knowing better. If I'm paying for gems, I want to actually take a minute and think about it.

Do I really want this? Don't I have enough gold to just convert to gems? Why am I saving up gold, anyways?

"Buy once, subscribe never" should also apply to recurring payments. It's supposed to be one of their strengths. One scenario I can think of is, what if you took a 5 month hiatus from the game and came back to see thousands of gems to your account but $50 poorer and nothing interesting in the gem store at the moment? I'll make an independent transaction each time I want to thank Anet for their content.

That's a perfectly fair and reasonable opinion on the matter. I won't try to make a strong case for an automated gem transaction because I don't feel that strongly about it. I tend to spend what would amount to $5-10 worth of gems a month, on average, so it more or less amounts to sheer laziness, not wanting to watch the market or pick up a gem card or whathaveyou.

And you're absolutely right about the gem store being optional, and that being one of their strengths. Every time an MMO thread pops up on GAF, somebody immediately thinks they're being clever by pretending Guild Wars 2 has the same old Pay-2-Win scam as the rest of the F2P market, and they're almost immediately corrected (and no, not by me).

This will probably double or triple ArenaNet's revenue and at least double the game's population (not that we'll ever interact with that market, but it's nice to know there's tons of people playing). Gonna be fucking crazy to see how well GW2 does in that market.

I also expect us to get some Nice Things too when this happens, as there's supposed to be a new tutorial and such shipping with the China launch.

Aquila

I actually wouldn't mind if they had a way to set up a recurring gem purchase. Seems like there's usually *something* I wouldn't mind buying so just having them toss me $10 worth of gems every month would just be convenient. I know Turbine had a similar feature when it switched LotRO to F2P.

I think that's how SWTOR subscriptions work now with their cartel coins. It'd probably be somewhat tempting for the masses if anet offered like a 5% discount for it.

Shiokazu

is there any kind of item that messes with your status in the gem store?

so far i only know of cosmetic and boosts that dont mess with your character stats like power, toughness, precision, etc etc etc...

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So far so good on a fresh windows installation. Just need to rebuild...

I agree. Don't like the idea of it being an option even if that's paranoid

is there any kind of item that messes with your status in the gem store?

so far i only know of cosmetic and boosts that dont mess with your character stats like power, toughness, precision, etc etc etc...

Everything in the gem store is either cosmetic, just outfits and such, or 'Quality of Life' stuff, like boosters, infinite harvesting tools (they only go on sale every now and then), and so on. There's nothing that messes with your character's stats.

Shiokazu

Everything in the gem store is either cosmetic, just outfits and such, or 'Quality of Life' stuff, like boosters, infinite harvesting tools (they only go on sale every now and then), and so on. There's nothing that messes with your character's stats.

and because of that i wonder why people go talking about the game without knowing what it really is.

its as bad as the queensdale passengers, who quit the game saying its booring

z3phon

If you guys got a spot in the guild I'd like to join. Just a heads up I'm new so I don't know much about the game. :p
Zephon.4081

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Grats...could have been a a corrupt MBR maybe?
Not likely cause I could still get into Windows before the reboot, and I didn't repartition or format during the install, just put it right on top of my existing file structure. It was almost like it was hitting a certain program in the startup sequence and then hard rebooting every time, but I have no clue what it could be.

If you guys got a spot in the guild I'd like to join. Just a heads up I'm new so I don't know much about the game. :p
Zephon.4081

Added you.

Looks like you are in Sanctum of Rall server. We play on SBI. Since you are in NA you can guest over to SBI to do stuff with us or if you want to be on SBI you can delete your character and restart a new one and choosing SBI as server instead.

xeris

Added you.

Looks like you are in Sanctum of Rall server. We play on SBI. Since you are in NA you can guest over to SBI to do stuff with us or if you want to be on SBI you can delete your character and restart a new one and choosing SBI as server instead.

You can guest over to do anything not involving wvw. For dungeons you don't even need to guest with the way they do their instances.

You all know these people don't actually exist, right?

I wish that were true, but I personally know people who did Queensdale/Frostgorge non-stop for weeks, then quit saying the game is a boring zergfest.And you see threads on Reddit started all the time, by these kinds of people. It's not a huge part of the population, but it's enough to blip on the radar.

Complistic

I wish that were true, but I personally know people who did Queensdale/Frostgorge non-stop for weeks, then quit saying the game is a boring zergfest.And you see threads on Reddit started all the time, by these kinds of people. It's not a huge part of the population, but it's enough to blip on the radar.

To be fair, it's probably best if these sorts of people weed themselves out early.

To be fair, it's probably best if these sorts of people weed themselves out early.

Agreed. Just wish they then wouldn't spend years sitting on the game's forums and subreddit, saying how "glad they are they quit when they did". Never did understand that mentality. Saw it all the time in WoW too. "I quit WoW five years ago, and it sounds like I made the right choice! This recent update sounds horrible!".

That's just insanity.

Jira

I gotta say, the amount of stuff regarding LA and people taking the time to really explore it since it's going to be destroyed is very interesting. I've even saw things I never knew were there like the group of NPCs who does a pub crawl at night. I think thus far, this is the biggest omgggggg what's gonna happen? moments yet. Though I get the impression that the finale will be even more so.

Jira

Agreed. Just wish they then wouldn't spend years sitting on the game's forums and subreddit, saying how "glad they are they quit when they did". Never did understand that mentality. Saw it all the time in WoW too. "I quit WoW five years ago, and it sounds like I made the right choice! This recent update sounds horrible!".

That's just insanity.

Yeah, I don't understand why people do that crap either. If you don't care enough to keep playing, why do you waste your time lurking sites dedicated to that game just to bitch? I don't have time to do that crap anymore even if I wanted to. Due to how my schedule is setup this week, I'll be waking up, going to work, coming home, eating, playing GW2 for a few hours and going to sleep, then repeat. Ain't nobody got time for internets arguing.

Yeah, I don't understand why people do that crap either. If you don't care enough to keep playing, why do you waste your time lurking sites dedicated to that game just to bitch? I don't have time to do that crap anymore even if I wanted to. Due to how my schedule is setup this week, I'll be waking up, going to work, coming home, eating, playing GW2 for a few hours and going to sleep, then repeat. Ain't nobody got time for internets arguing.

They need validation that they made the "correct" move by quitting. That's really all it is for the majority. It's the same with most Internet "wars" where people have to make a choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom