• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, definitely. I think Elder Scrolls Online may be trying to get around problems like this by having one massive server with a number of instances? WoW now has connected realms as well though that doesn't necessarily solve this particular problem it is a good way to get low pop servers back up to a good pop. It would be nice if it collated more people from all over the game into a single instance or something clever.

I think he means individual zones, not the servers. Many low level and mid level areas are ghost towns, because the playerbase is ether too high level, or off doing something else.

All MMO's I've ever played suffered from this is some capacity. I'm not sure how you keep players interested in all of the zones, people seem to take the fastest route to the goals they have in mind.

GW2 does a lot, as other said, to combat this, but it's still very much an issue.

Proven

IGNORE THIS POST IF YOU DIDN'T READ OR DIDN'T WANT TO READ THE POSSIBLY FAKE LEAKED PATCH NOTES.

Yeah, I just read the leaked notes then realized they were probably already on reddit and neogaf. They look true, or at least look like what they're aiming to get all together for the patch. Whether they have the time to get all of the changes is in is another question too.

The disappointment is that there are no big sweeping changes, so there will be a number of people not happy with much of this if it goes true. I can already picture what the PvP boards are going to look like after seeing Spirit Weapons get buffed trait support. Especially when the built in weakness to one of the traits is condition damage.

Although if they do nerf/fix Stronger Bowstrings I will be pouring out one for it before finally making a new build. I've used this Warrior build since near launch...

If they actually remove Kindled Zeal but buff Empowering Might, I'll be able to deal. Thanks to Nemesis I've actually returned to my Guardian Radiant Scepter build and tuned it more for damage. Without Kindled Zeal, Assassin's stat armor becomes even more useful and Empowering Might could put it over the top, with the Might stacks still providing decent condition damage. The only issue is that I'll have to take all points out of Virtues, which makes me feel sad because it'd be the first level 80 build I'd ever make without any points in the profession unique trait stat. At the same time, I've been putzing around with this build for a year so I'd be happy to have something that I'm 95% happy with and feel is less gimmicky. Then there's also the fact that the Ranger build I'm currently working on may also avoid the profession stat. Oh well...

I hope the Thief Improvisation changes are true, but I also wish they had happened a year ago. There also appears to be no changes in Thief condition removal, not even in any traits...

Ugh at Temporal Curtain. Are they forcing Mesmers to equip a Focus and a Staff now? :-/

The change is to make it in line with the recent Guardian Swiftness changes. The question you should be asking is, can you stack swiftness from the same Temporal Curtain?

Levito

Banned
Unfortunately, this is an "MMO problem" and not a "Guild Wars 2 problem," nobody has managed to keep players from congealing in a handful of zones while leaving the others empty. Though on the plus side, down-leveling and the Living Story have at least done more on this front than most games.

World completion was a good attempt to try and alleviate this problem, but it still doesn't quite work as well as it should in bringing people out into the world more.

Complistic

They should let you redo hearts once you hit level 80 and give you 5s for every one that you re complete. Then I'd sometimes just wander around in zones I haven't been in for a while and actually play the game. Maybe make hearts reset daily so you can't just farm the same one over and over.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
World completion was a good attempt to try and alleviate this problem, but it still doesn't quite work as well as it should in bringing people out into the world more.
The daily rare world bosses did more for this from my perspective. If you follow them around you'll be hopping throughout the world, and newbies leveling in those zones can run into huge crowds at these events (the first time I ever saw Tequatl, he just happened to be up while I was running through Sparkfly).

Zeroth

They should let you redo hearts once you hit level 80 and give you 5s for every one that you re complete. Then I'd sometimes just wander around in zones I haven't been in for a while and actually play the game. Maybe make hearts reset daily so you can't just farm the same one over and over.

The thing is that this would give room to people simply exploit quests that can be easily done. I think making it so that you can only complete a quest once a day (and make said quests give good rewards), and give a bonus reward to players who complete X quests in any map could incentive people to do that more often.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
This depends. Anything account bound you can leave in your bank and you'll have it there when you create a new character. Anything soulbound you would lose.

Okay ill check later.

May just delete my characters and start anew.

Ashodin

Oh Kos.
laughing-smiley-016.gif

Be more careful in threads my man.

I don't feel like those leaked notes are real. If they are, wowee Spirit Weapons gettin' buuuuuffed. Would fit in with those new elite skills too.

Aquila

Okay ill check later.

May just delete my characters and start anew.

Double check your mail and see if you were given a birthday booster for either of your characters. Depending on when you started, you might have one or two and that'll help your re-leveling.

Moondrop

Banned
I don't feel like those leaked notes are real.

Haven't all the previous pastebin leaks turned out to be substantially accurate? EDIT: I now realize the increased necro mark radius, which was implemented months ago, is a bad sign for the veracity of this leak.

I'm a bit disappointed in the patch notes. Nerfs to my warrior and mesmer builds; worthless changes to ranger. At least eles will get a buff- my power build will have permanent 25 might stacks. The only parts that seems unrealistic are the massive engineer buffs.

Retro

Haha. What did Kos get banned for?

The offending post was deleted, but in the Olympics Hockey thread, people were posting "America / Canada, Fuck yeah!"-type images and he linked to one that had a topless woman in it. Even with the NSFW tag he put on it, it was apparently enough to merit a ban.

He'll be back in one week. I was told to tell everyone he was "banned for being overly Canadian", which sounds like a hate crime to me
JUWnj.gif

Ashodin

The idea would be to teleport to an enemy, throw down some damage, then teleport back to a friend. If no friends are nearby, use Sword to teleport away to another enemy. Be very hard to catch, basically.

Also, Quarians

Taffer

Underwater Flesh Golem equivalent with its own cooldown looks nice (if true), I hate losing him whenever I run through a puddle.

I think I want to make a guardian build about teleporting. Sounds like a lot of fun.

I love flashing about on my Guard but it's also a good way to get stuck inside a wall.

Haven't all the previous pastebin leaks turned out to be substantially accurate? EDIT: I now realize the increased necro mark radius, which was implemented months ago, is a bad sign for the veracity of this leak.

I'm a bit disappointed in the patch notes. Nerfs to my warrior and mesmer builds; worthless changes to ranger. At least eles will get a buff- my power build will have permanent 25 might stacks. The only parts that seems unrealistic are the massive engineer buffs.

I'm still waiting for the improved clicking accuracy for ultra-high resolutions eight or so "leaked patch notes" ago.

Moondrop

Banned
I'm still waiting for the improved clicking accuracy for ultra-high resolutions eight or so "leaked patch notes" ago.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I don't recall any such promises in former pastebin leaks. The last few have all been "out of date," such that changes occurred between the leaker obtaining the notes and final release, but were essentially accurate. I suspect that is the case here, but perhaps it's even more out of date given the duration between balance patches.

kiriin

The idea would be to teleport to an enemy, throw down some damage, then teleport back to a friend. If no friends are nearby, use Sword to teleport away to another enemy. Be very hard to catch, basically.

Also, Quarians

Meditations util isn't really built for that kind of playstyle at all. 600 range on the sword blink isnt a large leap and merciful intervention is unreliable and janky. What you basically describe was a s/p/d thief build.

Ashodin

Meditations util isn't really built for that kind of playstyle at all. 600 range on the sword blink isnt a large leap and merciful intervention is unreliable and janky. What you basically describe was a s/p/d thief build.

Says you. I don't care what it was "built" for, I'm building it to "be" that.

oktarb

I love Gargantuan my Warrior but sometimes you want to dust off that alt to just try a different feel but man there are some hurdles I have to emotionally surmount each time:

All my cool items are on my main. Flaming swords, great dyes, transformation potions, Permanent banker ect. Some are shareable but you have to dump them in the bank - back and forth each time.

Waypoint aren't shared so sometimes I want to meet up with the guild or an event but i don't have anything close. That causes a frown.

All my alts are level 80 but my spare skill point pool is not account wide, so its harder to save up for my legendary..200 skill points.

I'd love a Black Lion Cheat to unlock all WP for an account providing the character is level 80. Id like all Endless, permanent and Infinite items to be account wide.

Moondrop

Banned
You could give some stuff exclusively to your alts; that would make them feel more special.

I'm a big believer in alts, both to keep the game fresh and to learn how other professions play (to better destroy them). I basically have the opposite problem, which is finding a reason to play my main.

Remfin

Is it weird I'm thinking of a second account almost purely for storage? For the price of 4 characters on a "real account", you can get 5 characters AND the shared bank slot AND 4 potential private guild banks...

I stopped play WoW a while back and am feeling that MMO itch.

Is GW2 still noob friendly?

I loved WoW, but the world seemed so dead and abandoned as everyone rushes to endgame.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Is it weird I'm thinking of a second account almost purely for storage? For the price of 4 characters on a "real account", you can get 5 characters AND the shared bank slot AND 4 potential private guild banks...
do it yay more money for ncsoft :D
I stopped play WoW a while back and am feeling that MMO itch.

Is GW2 still noob friendly?

I loved WoW, but the world seemed so dead and abandoned as everyone rushes to endgame.
It's tough to imagine a more noob-friendly game. Just make sure you think you'd enjoy the gameplay itself. It's really not even the tiniest bit like WoW in any way I can think of.

If you do hop in and roll in NA (Stormbluff Isle is our server, but you can guest at will), GAFGuild would be happy to have you.

I'm all for making World Completion repeatable, but reward repeat exploration with achievement points, kind of like Hobby Dungeon Explorer. The catch is that you can only repeat Hearts, POIs, SP, Vistas only after completing a full round of world exploration, to prevent farming. Or you can limit the re-exploration to just Hearts (and change the fill color to a different color). Cheevos can be tied to tiers of Hearts filled to keep things simpler. That would certainly get people spread all over the world map since achievement points are tied to nice rewards. It would also give incentive to guilds to organize a "zone clear" as a guild event. I remember when GAFGuild did the Metrica Province jumping puzzle and we all zerged through multiple events on our way to the JP, much to the "Holy shit!" of some other players LOL.

How ultra-high are we talking about? I'm thinking of getting at 1440p monitor in the future and 1080p accuracy on a 1440p screen sounds discouraging.

do it yay more money for ncsoft :D

It's tough to imagine a more noob-friendly game. Just make sure you think you'd enjoy the gameplay itself. It's really not even the tiniest bit like WoW in any way I can think of.

If you do hop in and roll in NA (Stormbluff Isle is our server, but you can guest at will), GAFGuild would be happy to have you.

Hrm. I wouldn't have a ton of time to play until summer, but I am considering it.

Is there a trial version I an play somewhere? I don't see it on the site....

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hrm. I wouldn't have a ton of time to play until summer, but I am considering it.

Is there a trial version I an play somewhere? I don't see it on the site....
Nope!

:p

They have trial weekends every now and again. I'll mark down to PM you if one comes up.

Jira

Thanks!

Definitely not investing $50 in a game I can't try first....

You can find it for $30 pretty often. Keep an eye on greenmangaming or Amazon.

Really though, this game is an absolute steal at any price. The entertainment and sheer variation in types of content that I've experienced in GW2 surpasses every other video game I've ever played.

You can find it for $30 pretty often. Keep an eye on greenmangaming or Amazon.

Really though, this game is an absolute steal at any price. The entertainment and sheer variation in types of content that I've experienced in GW2 surpasses every other video game I've ever played.

I will keep an eye out.

I am just worried that I won't like the gameplay itself. I actually had no problem with WoW's gameplay............ just the decaying and empty world. I would level a new character to 90 and get all the way to endgame without leaving a city once. I would just queue up instances.

So stale.

Jira

I will keep an eye out.

I am just worried that I won't like the gameplay itself. I actually had no problem with WoW's gameplay............ just the decaying and empty world. I would level a new character to 90 and get all the way to endgame without leaving a city once. I would just queue up instances.

So stale.

GW2 is nothing like WoW other than it's an RPG, has buttons that you press to kill stuff, etc. I cannot stress just how different the two games are. ANet builds everything to facilitate open world gameplay as much as possible. It's very rare that you can't take part in a new update regardless of your level. Usually they just scale you up to 80 even right out of the tutorial at level 2. So the update that just came out on Tuesday can be experienced by you right out of the tutorial. You can jump into the same exact content as those of us who've been playing since day 1 for thousands of hours.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I actually had no problem with WoW's gameplay...
You might like GW2 independently as a game, but it has quite close to nothing in common gameplay-wise with WoW. It's just dangerous to approach the game comparing anything about them! I think GW2's core gameplay is a blast, incredibly compelling and even pretty deep (and I play with a gamepad). On the other hand, I have significant problems with WoW's gameplay, so YMMV

Mxrz

Crafted my first bits of ascended armor tonight, and gotta say crafting in this game is probably the most convoluted system I've dealt with. So many different things needed to make one thing which is then needed to make some other thing which *might* be one of the four or five things needed to make the item you originally wanted. Hooof.

I'm all for currency sinks like Ascended stuff, but good grief is it a mess to keep track of. If GW2 last as long as GW1 has, I do hope they overhaul the whole thing in some fashion.

Crafted my first bits of ascended armor tonight, and gotta say crafting in this game is probably the most convoluted system I've dealt with. So many different things needed to make one thing which is then needed to make some other thing which *might* be one of the four or five things needed to make the item you originally wanted. Hooof.

I'm all for currency sinks like Ascended stuff, but good grief is it a mess to keep track of. If GW2 last as long as GW1 has, I do hope they overhaul the whole thing in some fashion.

100% with you on that. As much as I like the game, dat crafting interface needs to be scrapped, and redone from scratch. It needs to work much like the advanced crafting UI modifications in WoW worked, automatically crafting dependencies, and having an easy to understand graph of what begets what, etc. Crafting is, I feel, something they need to start looking at very, very soon.

GW2 is more like an explorable beatem up with RPG elements really.

I don't disagree with this, actually. I treat GW2 like a co-op client I launch to join a server where there's stuff to kill and things to see. I can't quite treat it as "another world", like say Ultima Online, since it's not trying to be an "alternate persistent universe". Hell, with the Living Story, GW2 is more like an episodic game you tune into to catch the story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom