• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anno

Full-meditation guardian feels somewhat like a different class, mostly because you would never use any of the skills without being traited for them most likely. If every specialization was as effective there would be a lot more builds out there, so I'm all for radical overhauls.

*shrug* Your mileage may vary based on time and date; I have done at least one dungeon with an all-gaf group every night for the last 6 nights 'cept one.

I haven't really played in weeks, but I remember it being hard for groups to form or would have taken hours (which at this point I can't afford to do anymore).

Jira

I haven't really played in weeks, but I remember it being hard for groups to form or would have taken hours (which at this point I can't afford to do anymore).

What time were you playing at? I mean if you're logging in during the twilight hours of the night and 4 people are on, then you can't expect to do a guild run of anything.

I am really bored and I think I am going to take the dive.

Also. Screw GreenManGaming sales. Incompetent site could be out of stock until the sale ends for all I know.

Jira

I am really bored and I think I am going to take the dive.

Also. Screw GreenManGaming sales. Incompetent site could be out of stock until the sale ends for all I know.

Yay another new person. Be sure to roll on Stormbluff Isle so that you can do WvW/EOTM with us. Oh and post your account name when you make it so we can throw you a guild invite.

It'll be something like wafflecakes.1234

Yay another new person. Be sure to roll on Stormbluff Isle so that you can do WvW/EOTM with us. Oh and post your account name when you make it so we can throw you a guild invite.

It'll be something like wafflecakes.1234

Will do.

Is the deluxe version worth it? I am not into vanity items, but I am not familiar enough with the game to know if the items are any good.

Mxrz

The elite skill in the deluxe/heroic edition is pretty good for most classes while leveling up. You also get an 18 slot bag (easy to get later, but 2g or so.), a mini pet and one of 3 armor skins.

Not terrible if you don't mind paying extra, but its really all about the elite skill. I hated having it grayed out on all my characters. Its also nice since you get it without having to spend any skill points like with other elites.

Retro

Ended up buying the digital heroic edition (which I assume is just the standard edition).

Yeah, they decided a while ago to just stop doing the 'normal' edition and sell the Heroic for the same price. The only difference is the Suit of Legacy Armor, Mithril Box and
10 Experience Boosters.

So on reddit, someone asked a valid question. And much to my surprise, the recent feel-good list made here on GAF, appeared as an answer. No worries there, I actually appreciated that my list was, well, appreciated.

And of course, as expected, the backlash was huge. Lots of general 'lol shite list it's wrong it's bad person is fanboy' etc. I ignored it, because I don't care, but one person's comment did rub me the wrong way.

So I replied to them, with what may well be my final post to GW2 reddit.

I have to make a decision regarding my interactions online with parts of the GW2 community. Simply: it's just not good for me. While I enjoy reading the GW2 subreddit for news and information, since GW2 still lacks the kind of major central news site that WoW enjoyed with WoW Insider, and generally the community is very nice... it's the more toxic apples that just ruin the whole barrel for me. It's not GW2 specifically - it's the whole modern gaming culture, GW2 is just being the "final straw" as it were.

Ghandi said, be the change you want to see in the world. Welp, the change I want to see is that people stop engaging with the perpetual cynics, the haters, and the eternally dissatisfied. I'm okay with people having beef with a game, but there is such a night/day difference between people who have beef but express it as "well, it'd be nice if this was fixed", and those that rampage, rage, and scream their little tantrums as if the issues make the game simply unacceptable.

I disagree with the current climate that just because one likes a thing, one has lost all objectivity regarding said thing. I'm tired of all the Manichaeism in gaming culture. Just plain tired of fearing expressing any kind of like for a thing, then waiting for the other shoe to drop as the tide of "you're wrong defend yourself stop liking a thing I don't like" comes crashing in.

Originally I started participating in the GW2 subreddit because I thought, hey, people would only come here because they're playing GW2 and enjoying it, right? Stupid of me, I know. That's not to say the entire subreddit is nothing but hate, there's so much amazing stuff shared there, stories, art, creativity, humour. But I need to accept my limits, and realize that I just can't ignore certain types of people, and I can't fight them (you can't fight these big waves). So, remove myself from the equation.

Getting too old for this shit. :p

At least there's this thread on GAF. This is still a nice place.

Retro

At least there's this thread on GAF. This is still a nice place.

GW2 Official Forums = Patch notes, skim the CDIs.
GW2 Reddit = Skim for news

Anything beyond that is asking for headaches. And since LiveSpartan cross-posts everything significant here (which is awesome, by the way, I dunno if we've ever thanked you), there's really no reason to hit Reddit unless you want like, leaks and such (which usually get disseminated here too).

Trey

Hey, I'm much less cordial than you when talking about games I like, Miktar. I'll discuss the game in good faith of course, but for the trolls and haters, I let my overwhelming positive opinions swell in dick-fashion, and just lay the entire thing on their foreheads.

Good post, man. You're a great part of this community.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Anyone have a link to the controller setup for the game?

My other half is playing for the first time and wants to use a controller since her mouse needs replacing next week.

In other news, I've found that blast-finishing in chaos fields is like, my favorite thing ever. It's like popping bubble wrap, except instead of popping the bubbles, you make bubbles. I think my friends are getting tired of me shouting "bhubbles!" every time I blast-finish a chaos field.

BWge8fY.jpg

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Running LA in the morning, suddenly bluescreens started again and now are just happening on windows load. Sigh. Not sure if I will make it for 3:00PM after all, I hope that Kos and Roxie (whom I think will be on) can run if I am not there at least. I already have an SSD on the way, maybe I'll just be plunking down and starting with a new box. Really frustrating because I still don't know if it's hardware or software, though I guess HDD failure would fit. sigh again

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Running LA in the morning, suddenly bluescreens started again and now are just happening on windows load. Sigh. Not sure if I will make it for 3:00PM after all, I hope that Kos and Roxie (whom I think will be on) can run if I am not there at least. I already have an SSD on the way, maybe I'll just be plunking down and starting with a new box. Really frustrating because I still don't know if it's hardware or software, though I guess HDD failure would fit. sigh again

I spent 12 hours last night fixing my computer - it was freezing and rebooting every 10 mins. I missed the Guild stuff. and I may even miss the make-ups because I haven't had any sleep yet. So tired.

I did manage to get one run of LA and my computer hasn't froze or rebooted in the past few hours. Hope I'm safe now.

Retro

Is there an experience bar somewhere? .... or do you only get experience from quests?

Bottom of the screen... and you get XP for everything.

Thinking of buying the Phalanx Heavy Armor set to mix and match

What do you guys think?

A tad too dark for my tastes, since black / abyss cause all of the detail to wash out, but otherwise a nice pairing. Not crazy about the shoulders, but I'm not a huge fan of the Orr Heavy set beyond the leggings.

Arkanius

Bottom of the screen... and you get XP for everything.

A tad too dark for my tastes, since black / abyss cause all of the detail to wash out, but otherwise a nice pairing. Not crazy about the shoulders, but I'm not a huge fan of the Orr Heavy set beyond the leggings.

I love the shoulders and gauntlets.
Well... The left side part at least, the one without algae :p
It looks more dark out there since there is no good lightning in the preview window.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
GW2 Official Forums = Patch notes, skim the CDIs.
GW2 Reddit = Skim for news

Anything beyond that is asking for headaches. And since LiveSpartan cross-posts everything significant here (which is awesome, by the way, I dunno if we've ever thanked you), there's really no reason to hit Reddit unless you want like, leaks and such (which usually get disseminated here too).

Hey, I'm much less cordial than you when talking about games I like, Miktar. I'll discuss the game in good faith of course, but for the trolls and haters, I let my overwhelming positive opinions swell in dick-fashion, and just lay the entire thing on their foreheads.

Good post, man. You're a great part of this community.

In relation to what Miktar is getting at, all I can add is: this is a general problem with gaming on the internet, yes, but I think it is largely due what seems a popular trend among internet technology geeks to equate negativity with truth. Being negative is "cutting through bullshit", and being positive is an excuse or cover up. If someone is mired in that kind of thinking you basically can't do anything to change it. It's a nearly perfect self-reinforcing loop, similar to the thinking of a conspiracy theorist.

And a perfect fit for the geek hobby of sitting on the internet looking for things to complain about rather than do something productive.

In the end I think you just have to come to the determination to take firm control of who you interact with and how. There's no other way on Planet Bored and Antagonistic.

Retro

How do I activate an Undiscovered Vista?

Hit "F" when standing in the beam of light / under the spinning map icon.

Vistas are like... mini-jumping puzzles, so if you're under the icon but unable to activate it, look up.

Edit: Waffle, what's your username? It'll appear as name.####. We can get you an invite to the guild where you can get immediate answers.

In other news, I've found that blast-finishing in chaos fields is like, my favorite thing ever. It's like popping bubble wrap, except instead of popping the bubbles, you make bubbles. I think my friends are getting tired of me shouting "bhubbles!" every time I blast-finish a chaos field.

Dear lord the game is pretty.
Was gonna buy, gmg still out :(

Reese-015

BWge8fY.jpg

That's... An incredible looking screenshot.

Shiokazu

yesterday i dreamt of a isometric action game with rpg elements for 3DS(yeah...) were you are a badass asuran engenier thats figthing the inquest for some reasons.

you could drive golems, you could setup cute versions of turrets that looked like little toy robots, and there were tons of dif weapons and YOU ACTUALLY CAN MELEE USING A MOTHERFUCKING WRENCH!

the game looked awesome, beating shit of the inquest and their mutated subjects and experiments for the glory of... of lulz.

markot

Banned
yesterday i dreamt of a isometric action game with rpg elements for 3DS(yeah...) were you are a badass asuran engenier thats figthing the inquest for some reasons.

you could drive golems, you could setup cute versions of turrets that looked like little toy robots, and there were tons of dif weapons and YOU ACTUALLY CAN MELEE USING A MOTHERFUCKING WRENCH!

the game looked awesome, beating shit of the inquest and their mutated subjects and experiments for the glory of... of lulz.
I want it...

A ton of players in the background are still in generic armor, including 3 staff guardians, what are your character detail settings?

Visibility: High (I like to at least see everyone), Model Quality: Medium.

Because seriously, in LA anything else right now would be 5fps.

In that shot, what you don't see is that there were almost 200 people right behind me. I have a decent system, and running SLI cards: but I don't have *that* good a system.

That's... An incredible looking screenshot.

Thanks. I have a few more up here: http://min.us/mbj28c2pvXPvWe

Proven

This reminds me of an actual DS game I played years ago...

My one negative for Escape from LA, if you are not in Gendarran Fields you can almost give up on getting into the main server at peak hours, it takes GF maybe a 1 min to finish the portal opening event, while BTC is about 2 mins, and LP is around 3mins, it should have been once all 3 events are finish the portal to LA is open...

Mxrz

Blargh.

Made the wrong (lesser) vision crystal when making my chest armor. GRrgh. Why, ANet. Why do you need two of these. Frrgh. - Also tried to help a friend understand crafting. Yeeeeah. Boo. All the boos, ANet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom