• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mxrz

Personally wish they'd stuck closer to the first game. In places, GW2 feel a little too dark, gitty, and heavy. Like it caught a little of the UE3-itis.

bxFsE3b.jpg

Finished the personal storyline finally. Hurrah!

I run SLI x GTX 560 SEs, 8GB RAM (which I really need to raise), and an i5 clocked from 3.8 to 4.2.
The upgrade from 8GB RAM would be for non-GW2 purposes, right? GW2 never uses more than 4GB at any time. Depending on your CPU cooler, I would try to increase your overclock to at least 4.4-4.6 GHz. I've even seen benefits in GW2 going from 4.6 to 4.8 but my system wasn't stable long enough. As long as CPU temps are fine, 1.35 voltage isn't that significant of a concern, IMO.

I'm going to have to disagree with this. I think Anet nailed the look they were going for from start to finish. I'm probably one of the pickiest, snobbiest people when it comes to in-game art, and I think GW2 is one of the best looking games I've ever seen. (barring some bad textures, of course) I would honestly say that compared to most MMO's I've seen, GW2's art has the most vision behind it. I think that technically speaking, it's beginning to show its age, but visually it's going to last a long time. That's due to the strength of its art direction.
Those bad textures really stand out in such a beautiful game. I wonder in the history of MMOs, what are realistic hopes for a developer to introduce technical advancements to an aging engine. No one has done it better than Planetside 2, IMO. So far we've seen latency improvements which help tremendously with frametimes and player culling improvements. Hopefully more is in stock after the second anniversary.

Remfin

The upgrade from 8GB RAM would be for non-GW2 purposes, right? GW2 never uses more than 4GB at any time. Depending on your CPU cooler, I would try to increase your overclock to at least 4.4-4.6 GHz. I've even seen benefits in GW2 going from 4.6 to 4.8 but my system wasn't stable long enough. As long as CPU temps are fine, 1.35 voltage isn't that significant of a concern, IMO.
You get a lot of benefits from increased RAM regardless. Don't discount OS file-caching; I've had games on hard drives that would never even spin up because it was all in memory already.

The upgrade from 8GB RAM would be for non-GW2 purposes, right? GW2 never uses more than 4GB at any time. Depending on your CPU cooler, I would try to increase your overclock to at least 4.4-4.6 GHz. I've even seen benefits in GW2 going from 4.6 to 4.8 but my system wasn't stable long enough. As long as CPU temps are fine, 1.35 voltage isn't that significant of a concern, IMO..

I'm not that good with puter stuff, the only reason my i5 is clocked to 4.2 is because I changed something in the bios from 3.8 to 4.2 (which was recommended by the GAF pc thread), and I'm running a better cooler than stock (again, one recommended by the GAF pc thread). But messing with voltages or other stuff, I dunno. I have a bad enough relationship with tech as is, last thing I need is to break my only working PC.

And the RAM upgrade would be because shit just uses too much damn RAM lately. Windows 7 just eats it, and there's like, Steam sitting there in the background too, eating more, etc..

But I'm not upgrading RAM anytime soon anyway :p

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I don't recall any such promises in former pastebin leaks. The last few have all been "out of date," such that changes occurred between the leaker obtaining the notes and final release, but were essentially accurate. I suspect that is the case here, but perhaps it's even more out of date given the duration between balance patches.

It was back in September's paste bin. It was quoted, "Made adjustments to click targeting to make it more precise." I don't know what else it could mean.

How ultra-high are we talking about? I'm thinking of getting at 1440p monitor in the future and 1080p accuracy on a 1440p screen sounds discouraging.

5760 x 1080.

Here's an example.

When I click on the part where the red circle is located (on the right), it ended up targeting Kaitoki.

It could also be the "fish eye" effect too.

You get a lot of benefits from increased RAM regardless. Don't discount OS file-caching; I've had games on hard drives that would never even spin up because it was all in memory already.
I have never read anything that supports increasing RAM over 8GB for GW2. Even the PC thread in the gaming side is pretty consistent with their message that anything over 8GB is right now wasteful for gaming purposes. 16+ GB for encoding/multimedia purposes, 8GB if gaming only. RAMDisk is another issue, but that's extremely niche even for enthusiast PC builders and I don't think you were talking about that.

An SSD would be a much better upgrade for this game than additional RAM above 8GB.

Complistic

Would be nice but people already use macros to prevent a logout that is not going to happen.
On one trip in I ran by a guy running into a sewer wall on several occasions with a long enough time span to know it wasn't someone DCing. That same instance had some guy spamming /sit every minute by the north WP. I won't lie. When I saw the guy, I clicked on him and reported him for botting.

Sure it won't get rid of all of them, but I'd wager a large majority don't, and wouldn't be interested in going through the hassle of setting up macros.

Remfin

I have never read anything that supports increasing RAM over 8GB for GW2. Even the PC thread in the gaming side is pretty consistent with their message that anything over 8GB is right now wasteful for gaming purposes. 16+ GB for encoding/multimedia purposes, 8GB if gaming only. RAMDisk is another issue, but that's extremely niche even for enthusiast PC builders and I don't think you were talking about that.

An SSD would be a much better upgrade for this game than additional RAM above 8GB.
Well, I would certainly agree you should have an SSD; I'm just saying RAM can be pretty awesome too, not that it really ends up being better in-game performance, but you'll notice.

You do kind of get a RAMDisk by default with modern OSes, especially when you have a ton lying around. When Windows says it has 13.5 GB "cached" (like it does for me right now), it's talking about GW2 and some other programs, already sitting there waiting for me.

Beepos

How do people ever get Legendary weapons in this game!? Those requirements are insane... Yet somehow, I have seen several people using them over the course of playing . I don't think I'd get even close to even one of the many many requirements needed to craft one and I have hundreds of hours played...

Retro

Reminder: Something might be happening at 9am EST, about an hour.

Also, new items in the Gem store:
Magnus' Eye patch (400 gems):
hYYptWt.jpg

Unbreakable Thresher 5000 Sickle (1000 gems)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QowgAPXtYOE

I miiiiiiiiight have to get that eye patch for Dhalion. My Ranger could also benefit since he's blind in one eye, but that's not something I need to cover up.

How do people ever get Legendary weapons in this game!? Those requirements are insane... Yet somehow, I have seen several people using them over the course of playing . I don't think I'd get even close to even one of the many many requirements needed to craft one and I have hundreds of hours played...

I'm over 2000 hours (2511 to be exact) and I'm not exactly close either. Then again, none of the current crop of Legendaries do much for me to begin with (I do like the precursor for the Rifle, more the Legendary itself), and with so many people using them I'm more likely to avoid them.

I'd rather not venture a guess as to how so many people have gotten them. It'll end up either a critique on other MMOs and the mentality they instill in players, or a colorful rant on gold farmers and the morons who buy from them. Neither would do much good.

Why is there a random Toxic Bulwark in the refugee camp near the Priory?

It's not part of the "Break the Toxic Alliance's morale to gain entry to Lion's Arch" event?
Edit: Nope, I see her now. She's green, which is why I didn't notice she wasn't a regular NPC at first. Weird.

Hyunashi

I have 4 myself currently: Sunrise, Twilight, Bolt and Frostfang (which I made this morning) and you want to know how I got them? Mindless Farming. I would totally advise you from going down the same path I did as I have burnt myself out twice since release because of it. The first time I farmed CoF p1 for 18hrs a day for about a month (with regular breaks of course) to get my first 2. I proceeded to take a long break from the game. I have only spent money on the store during launch to get bag/char slots too.

My third was luck as I mystic forged a Zap the same day I returned, which led again to more farming for the rest of the stuff (this was around the time champ bags were introduced and Orr trains were huge). I was burnt out again after that completion. The latest one came from casual play aka running easy dungeons everyday for like 15-20g and then saving it all up. I am also now taking a break in the hopes season 2 of the living world saves this game.

If you want my advice, let it come naturally, stop spending your gold and just do daily dungeon runs, but follow the crowd if you want money. Just see what everyone else is doing. You might be a really lucky guy like a guildy of mine who hoarded quite a few precursors at about launch time and has success playing the market. But more than likely it will just take hard work.

Retro

I am also now taking a break in the hopes season 2 of the living world saves this game.

I'm sure I'll regret asking, but considering the last few updates have been pretty damn good and the next one + feature patch look to continue that trend, what exactly makes you think the game needs "saving"?

Because everything from the press coverage to the player response (has there really been any hate for this last update?) to NCSoft's Q4 report makes it seem like the game is doing just fine, if not better than expected.

I'd like a legendary, but I just don't have the time. I'm more concerned currently with getting all exotic gear for my various alts. I need to start running dungeons more, i've maybe run 20 in the last year and a half. I'd like to get some dungeon gear for a few of the alts, as well as earn some money, as i'm perpetually broke it seems.

Hyunashi

I'm sure I'll regret asking before you even answer, but considering the last few updates have been pretty damn good and the next one + feature patch look to continue that trend, what exactly makes you think the game needs "saving"?

Because everything from the press coverage to the player response (has there really been any hate for this last update?) to NCSoft's Q4 report makes it seem like the game is doing just fine.

I should be more clear sorry, but I should have save the game for me.

I fully understand and can appreciate that the game is in a good position for certain individuals in the player base, but as a player that pretty much has done it all with the exception of getting more legendaries, I have big expectations for season 2 since we arnt getting any expansions anytime soon. But if their big words dont translate to big things, I can just move on until they do, which is the best thing about a game with no sub. As for the last few updates being good? Yes there has definitely been an improvement from what we experienced post Queens Jubilee (GW2's high point imo, after we got the Bazaar and Dragon bash) and it will be interesting to see IF they can carry the momentum into season 2.

I've really been enjoying my time with the game since I came back. However, I've never really gotten into the group content and now I find myself wanting to. Is there a list somewhere that will tell me what dungeons to run and in what order? Thanks in advance for any responses, there's just so much to take in that I can't think of where to start.

Hyunashi

I've really been enjoying my time with the game since I came back. However, I've never really gotten into the group content and now I find myself wanting to. Is there a list somewhere that will tell me what dungeons to run and in what order? Thanks in advance for any responses, there's just so much to take in that I can't think of where to start.

CoF p1 + 2, AC p1 + 3, SE p1 + 3, TA Up, CoE p1 + 3 and HoTW 1 are the easy mode dungeons. If you dunno how to do them, run with guildies or say that you are new to the dungeon when you join a group.

Retro

Gotcha. I just see that particular phrase a lot in the usual Official Forums / Reddit and assume the worst kind of hyperbole. Sometimes I forget GAF is sort of the internet's mild mannered alter-ego.

I fully understand and can appreciate that the game is in a good position for certain individuals in the player base, but as a player that pretty much has done it all with the exception of getting more legendaries, I have big expectations for season 2 since we arnt getting any expansions anytime soon. But if their big words dont translate to big things, I can just move on until they do, which is the best thing about a game with no sub. As for the last few updates being good? Yes there has definitely been an improvement from what we experienced post Queens Jubilee (GW2's high point imo, after we got the Bazaar and Dragon bash) and it will be interesting to see IF they can carry the momentum into season 2.

I think they will. Dragon Bash was definitely the low point (other than a catchy tune and the Jade Dragon skins, it was mostly a lot of achievements and a pointless gold sink), but since the Bazaar I'd say every update (except Halloween and Wintersday, which we knew were going to be mostly retreads anyways) has been better than the last. They'd said repeatedly that they're still sort of figuring out what works and what doesn't since no one has really tried an update cadence like this in a game this size before, but that a lot of the lessons learned from the first year and their big Living World CDI will start to show up in the first part of this year. I'd say the Marionette and LA siege are pretty solid examples of this, and Season 2 will (hopefully) carry through. I believe they've said (I can't find the source article atm) that the updates from here on out will focus on smaller, tighter narratives rather than try to do the big multi-story arc that was just too drawn out.

I dunno. I know I'm the resident PR Shill and my enthusiasm is probably considered by more than a few people to be the result of a regular paycheck, but I don't think I've been as excited to play Guild Wars 2 since before the game first launched. There's that level of anticipation for each new update, and so far (like the pre-launch hype, if such a thing could exist after the BWEs pretty much confirmed expectations) it's delivered in spades.

And if not, like you said, we can always wait two weeks and something new will roll in.

Citadel of Flame 1 and 2, Sorrow's Embrace 1 and Crucible of Eternity 1 are all pretty fast and so they're all run regularly, but if you're interested in having fun and experiencing them, there's really no reason not to do all of the dungeons. There is a narrative thread for the Story dungeons that goes in their level order (AC, CM, TA, SE, CoF, HotW, CoE, Arah), but the explorable paths are all more or less self-contained.

I'd start with Ascalon Catacombs; it being the earliest dungeon means it's built as a sort of teaching tool. It's also the first dungeon to be revamped, so the boss fights are better than the other launch-era ones that aren't quite as polished.

Do we have a set dungeon night each week?

We do not, although this is something we've discussed doing on one of our off-nights (Wednesday was floated around). I believe the reason we never made it an official thing is that most of the time, you can ask in guild chat and usually 4 other people will volunteer for everything but Arah and CM. It's definitely something we could do though if there's enough interest.

The latest one came from casual play aka running easy dungeons everyday for like 15-20g and then saving it all up.
~10 dungeons a day is kinda stretching it for casual play. That's either 3 hours a day just dungeoning with casuals or speedrunning CoF multiple times a day in berzerker's gear with a like-minded group.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I have 4 myself currently: Sunrise, Twilight, Bolt and Frostfang (which I made this morning) and you want to know how I got them? Mindless Farming
dude...

I fully understand and can appreciate that the game is in a good position for certain individuals in the player base, but as a player that pretty much has done it all with the exception of getting more legendaries, I have big expectations for season 2 since we arnt getting any expansions anytime soon. But if their big words dont translate to big things, I can just move on until they do, which is the best thing about a game with no sub
well okay, at least you have the right perspective on this. If you never play another 20 seconds, I think I would be hard pressed to say the game hasn't given you your money's worth by this point...
CoF p1 + 2, AC p1 + 3, SE p1 + 3, TA Up, CoE p1 + 3 and HoTW 1 are the easy mode dungeons. If you dunno how to do them, run with guildies or say that you are new to the dungeon when you join a group.
Hi MakeshiftChef- you're in the guild, right? I'm gonna take a different approach to what people are answering here and address your question more specifically. What people have given here are "dungeons to run near-daily for fun and profit," but not a particularly great prescription for how to get started.

So, every dungeon in the game (except Fractals of the Mists, more on that later) has a Story Mode and an Explorable mode with 3 separate paths. Beating Story Mode unlocks that dungeon's explorable mode.

First thing you want to do is get a group together to run Ascalonian Catacombs Story (or "AC Story"). This used to be a challenging instance, but now is a very simple and easy intro to dungeon content in general. It's very nearly facerollable, but will give you a nice little sample of what's to come. For this the recommended min. level is 30. After that, you'll have unlocked Exp Mode (min. level 35), but it is substantially more challenging, and all three paths of AC Exp are reguarly run by level 80s as they are quite rewarding.

Once you've run one or two AC Exp paths, which will prepare you for much of the skill demand in dungeons throughout the game, I'd then recommend trying the easiest dungeon paths like COF1 and SE1. You have to "know" these paths, and there are segments requiring cooperation to advance, but they are very simple and quick, and can be run once a day (<10 mins each at high levels of play) for 1g+ apiece.

Once you feel more confident with dungeons in generals, the list above is a great list of quick/easy paths to run- however, remember that to start any of them yourself, you must first have done story mode for that dungeon. If you ask in guild chat, people will typically help out with a Story Mode run for the novelty.

Running these dungeons gets you, in addition to the above mentioned gold, tokens that you can save up for Rare or Exotic gear (either to be used or broken down for more profit).

In addition to all of the 8 "standard" dungeons, there's Fractals. Fractals are a set of mini-dungeons with their own internal progression. So you start out on "Fractal Level 1" and do a run- consisting of 3 fractals and a boss- and advance to fractal level 2. The loot in here is great, but it's not a good source of gold. However, the unique tokens from fractals (Relics) can be used for very very useful stuff, such as cheap 20-slot inventory bags.

A very important consideration for dungeons is gear. No, there are no "gear checks" that require you to have best-in-slot, or a certain tier. But you need to have weapons and armor at or near your level, no matter where you are. So even in a level 40 dungeon, if you're level 60, you need level ~60 gear.

Lunar15

I don't think the game needs saving, but it could go with a new mechanic or two. I've enjoyed the content they've created but even after making several alts I'm reaching my limit with the combat. It's to be expected: I've been playing it for nearly two years.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I don't think the game needs saving, but it could go with a new mechanic or two. I've enjoyed the content they've created but even after making several alts I'm reaching my limit with the combat. It's to be expected: I've been playing it for nearly two years.
I think new weapon skills will do more for this than people even realize, it's definitely what I want most outside of QoL stuff.

meep!

Neo Member
I think new weapon skills will do more for this than people even realize, it's definitely what I want most outside of QoL stuff.

Totally agree. It would also make people asking for more build / customization option happy. Just like how you can switch different utility skills to make a build I want to see more weapon skills you can switch to.

Indeed, could open up classes to whole new types of play. Only question would be how to balance it skill wise, and how to distribute the loot into the world, ie craft-able, drops, dungeon stuff, legendary, ascended, etc.

But i'd love every class to get 1-2 new weapons, ether wholly new (battleaxe, crossbows, Polearm, etc) or just new skills for an existing, but currently unusable weapon for that class.

Ashodin

839fa13a-99a0-11e3-b6bd-f1c44eb5a0e4_1_half.jpg

Whoaa Some Star Wars shit right there.

Also looks like a version of the Arena in Divinity's Reach. damn!

Whoa shit the trailer has NOTHING new in it at all. Uh oh

Chasecs

Neo Member
So, Jade Quarry is now full too. I guess this confirms the game is dead

Wouldn't read into that too much as it's just displaced people from the mass exodus of SoR. Wouldn't surprise me if TC blinks full a couple times in the near future as well.

Anet rolling in $$$ due to server transfers alone.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
839fa13a-99a0-11e3-b6bd-f1c44eb5a0e4_1_half.jpg

Whoaa Some Star Wars shit right there.

Also looks like a version of the Arena in Divinity's Reach. damn!

Whoa shit the trailer has NOTHING new in it at all. Uh oh
trailer's a big old tease, but I expect little to nothing to be given away for this one. That concept art is pretty cray

While the Atlas looks cool.. I really don't see the point of it. Especially having to manually scan the map to find the points to look at art, video, or sound clips.

Trey

Atlas isn't taking anything away from the usual release program, right?

Then it's only an addition that they can build upon. I ain't mad at it.

Many gamers think game development is zero-sum: that a developer spending even one second of time on something not what they (the gamers) personally want them to be working on, is taking time away from what they should, by all rights, be working on.

People are self-centered like that.

So yes, I'm sure there are people going "why is Anet wasting time, money, effort, brainpower on this useless thing nobody wants when they should be adding dragons to every hole on the map".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom