• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jira

Many gamers think game development is zero-sum: that a developer spending even one second of time on something not what they (the gamers) personally want them to be working on, is taking time away from what they should, by all rights, be working on.

People are self-centered like that.

So yes, I'm sure there are people going "why is Anet wasting time, money, effort, brainpower on this useless thing nobody wants when they should be adding dragons to every hole on the map".

Considering this was the web development team that doesn't have anything to do outside of the update pages and oauth stuff, this didn't take away from actual game development at all. I know YOU know that so don't think this was aimed at you, just merely agreeing.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
My SSD is out for delivery. I could use some serious finger-crossing starting now that a fresh n' clean Windows install on a brand new drive does the trick for my issues.

Got some more upgrades (or parts for a new computer if it comes to that) coming by the end of the week... gonna be goooood stuff.

Considering this was the web development team that doesn't have anything to do outside of the update pages and oauth stuff, this didn't take away from actual game development at all. I know YOU know that so don't think this was aimed at you, just merely agreeing.

Yes, but... they could have had the web team help tighten up the graphics on level 3!

so decided to pop in this game again, started a new toon, used the instant lvl 20 thing from 1 year anniversary lol. Kinda wish the events are balanced for 1 dude, rarely see any folks in the starting areas. Are there any good 'leveling guides'? I recall this game isn't built like modern linear wow clones, but its kinda boring running around empty places lol.

Also where can i buy some noob swords and what not? Theres like a billion merc stores in starting town (snow one).

Any general tips for warriors? I never rolled one in the past because i was scared off with how much weapon options they had.

Trey

so decided to pop in this game again, started a new toon, used the instant lvl 20 thing from 1 year anniversary lol. Kinda wish the events are balanced for 1 dude, rarely see any folks in the starting areas. Are there any good 'leveling guides'? I recall this game isn't built like modern linear wow clones, but its kinda boring running around empty places lol.

Also where can i buy some noob swords and what not? Theres like a billion merc stores in starting town (snow one).

Any general tips for warriors? I never rolled one in the past because i was scared off with how much weapon options they had.

Events can be bare, true, but they see activity during peak time and if the daily is conducive to it. Some zones are very sparsely populated, can't lie. Wayfarer Foothills, which is the zone you're talking about, gets swamped during Maw right after reset (7pm EST). Also, I help new players as much as I can. I'm on about 10pm EST. Rest of the guild is cordial too, so more than likely someone will help if you ask.

Buy swords at your level from the Trading Post. Hit the 'O' button to bring up the interface, then go to a TP agent to pick up your stuff.

The best way to level is to do what you want. Go after vistas, do events, play WvW, do personal story, craft shit. Everything gives experience. Explore the world and its features.

Tips for warriors is the tips for every leveling player: buy level appropriate gear, and go for +power. Don't spread your traits around too thin, invest in line to get to major traits. Make sure you buy the books to increase your trait cap (Adept, Master, Grandmaster)!

Greatsword is a good weapon to go with generally. Gives you mobility options and a lot of damage on the 2 button (AIs love eating hundred blades). But you really can't go wrong with any of the weapons, try them all and find what you like.

Lunar15

If I see anything less than a dragon coming out of that hole, I'l leave slightly disappointed.

Get prepared for slight disappointment.

I strongly doubt a dragon is coming out of that hole, but I have a hunch we'll HEAR about the next dragon instead.

Scarlet is clearly just trying to get power in order to defeat the next dragon, but doing so in a way that saps the world of its power. Next arc will probably be devoted to us finding a way to beat more dragons without having to suck up the world's energy to do so.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

Heya! Couple of things:

Are you in NA? Are you/do you want to be in the guild? Typically, it just improves everything, and if you ask in guild chat if someone will run around with you you'll usually get a bite or two. I personally have 3 alts I'd be happy to grab and lead you around with.

You don't really want a "leveling guide" unless there's some reason you feel you need to rush to 80- and if you do feel that way you might wind up sort of disappointed with the game. There's a lot to see and almost everything you can possibly do gives you XP. Events are the meat of it- far more than hearts, though sometimes they will fill in hearts at the same time- but crafting, WvW, dungeons (which you'll be ready for the first couple of soon), the personal story missions, and even just plain exploration (vistas/pois/skill points/new areas) all give you significant amounts of XP as well, and it remains relevant to your current level no matter where you are in the game. I recommend a mix of all throughout your experience, and just take it as it comes. Nothing changes dramatically at level 80; there's nothing you can do at 80 that you couldn't do at 79, or, practically speaking, level 75 or even 70 with enough skill.

Most events in the game except those that say [Group Event] can be tackled comfortably by 1 player and overcome with skilled play. However it's definitely more fun to run around with people. Depending on what server you're on, I do still actually see people out in about in the newbie zones- though some more than others, so Your Race May Vary.

Once you get into the 30s or so, you'll be able to hop aboard for a substantial amount of daily world bosses, where you'll see hundreds of players throughout many zones, and the first dungeon that you can begin to tackle at level 30 is still regularly run by 80s every day.

It's also totally worth noting that the current living story event in LA (and all Living World content for the most part) uplevels you to 80 automatically while participating, and this one in particular is crazy XP. Don't skip out on it just because you think it's "only for 80s."

Proven

So I got 8/9 files of the next update myself, and had to find the last one thanks to reddit as there were no clues pointing to it.

And afterward... yeah. http://www.guildwars2hub.com/features/editorials/does-atlas-matter

For me, it's not a misappropriation of resources or anything. It's just that the atlas solves zero problems. It feels more like a wallpaper delivery mechanism than anything useful for tracking the Living Story. At the very least there should be a slider for time passed that let's you see dots pop up one by one. There's also too little information attached to each node when they could even link to wiki articles or gw2.com release pages.

A year from now there could be double the dots and there may not even be anything denoting the differences between season one and two. Hopefully they at least color code the nodes for different plot threads in the future, and then you can choose which colored nodes you want to see on the map and which you want to fade out. Or a selection pane so you can click to see only the nodes connected to a single release, or all of the nodes involved in a range of two releases.

Oh, and the Massively article contains no spoilers. The trailer gives you more information on the update than the article. The trailer also makes the inside of the drill look like an open world dungeon just like the Tower of Nightmares.

Heya! Couple of things:

Are you in NA? Are you/do you want to be in the guild? Typically, it just improves everything, and if you ask in guild chat if someone will run around with you you'll usually get a bite or two. I personally have 3 alts I'd be happy to grab and lead you around with.

You don't really want a "leveling guide" unless there's some reason you feel you need to rush to 80- and if you do feel that way you might wind up sort of disappointed with the game. There's a lot to see and almost everything you can possibly do gives you XP. Events are the meat of it- far more than hearts, though sometimes they will fill in hearts at the same time- but crafting, WvW, dungeons (which you'll be ready for the first couple of soon), the personal story missions, and even just plain exploration (vistas/pois/skill points/new areas) all give you significant amounts of XP as well, and it remains relevant to your current level no matter where you are in the game. I recommend a mix of all throughout your experience, and just take it as it comes. Nothing changes dramatically at level 80; there's nothing you can do at 80 that you couldn't do at 79, or, practically speaking, level 75 or even 70 with enough skill.

Most events in the game except those that say [Group Event] can be tackled comfortably by 1 player and overcome with skilled play. However it's definitely more fun to run around with people. Depending on what server you're on, I do still actually see people out in about in the newbie zones- though some more than others, so Your Race May Vary.

Once you get into the 30s or so, you'll be able to hop aboard for a substantial amount of daily world bosses, where you'll see hundreds of players throughout many zones, and the first dungeon that you can begin to tackle at level 30 is still regularly run by 80s every day.

It's also totally worth noting that the current living story event in LA (and all Living World content for the most part) uplevels you to 80 automatically while participating, and this one in particular is crazy XP. Don't skip out on it just because you think it's "only for 80s."

i forget are guilds in this game account based or toon based? I might already be in the gaf guild... or got kicked out before lol. Was playing day 1 for a few weeks before being sidetracked for something else :X

will check when i get home.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Account based, but you have to represent per character. You've almost definitely been culled though. Just post an Account name or Character name to get back in.

LiveSpartan235

Neo Member
March 18th Glory change FAQ
https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/pvp/pvp/March-18th-Glory-change-FAQ/first#post3688477

Hey everyone,

Since the announcement of Glory removal, there have been a lot of questions popping up about what this means. As such, we have put together an FAQ to help answer some of these questions. If your question isn’t listed here, it is likely that we are not ready to discuss it at this time.

IMPORTANT: Please note that the March 18th maintenance build is not the next phase of PvP rewards. For reference, check out John’s blog post here. This build will only remove glory and increase rank points earned.

Q: Why aren’t people with glory boosters being compensated with different boosters or something along those lines?
A: We will not be converting glory boosters because we announced that we would be phasing out glory in John’s blog post and it wouldn’t be fair to the players that used up all of their boosters since then in preparation for it. However, players that spent gems to purchase glory boosters directly will be eligible for a refund. For those that did purchase them, they can file a ticket here.

Q: Do we need to put our PvP armor in our locker on 3/17 so it can be “converted” or can we leave it on our characters?
A: No, this is not the next phase of PvP rewards. This is a maintenance step that we need to do as we make the bigger transition.

Q: Will we be able to craft PvP related gear after 3/18?
A: Yes, you will still be able to craft PvP related gear. This build is a maintenance step that will only remove Glory and increase rank points earned.

Q: Will rank points remain the same?
A: Starting on 3/18, we will be awarding increased rank points in all areas of PvP.

Q: What is happening to the rank reward chests and their respective vendors?
A: The chests will be removed from the game as a reward. You will still keep the ones in your inventory until they are used, but we will no longer be giving them out or selling them in any avenue.

Q: Will we be able to sell PvP materials to npc vendors similar to tournament tickets?
A: These materials are not being removed as part of the maintenance build. In this update we are only removing glory and making an adjustment to the amount of rank points earned.

Q: Will we eventually be able to use PvP rank/cultural/dungeon armor skins in PvE/WvW?
A: Yes, players will eventually be able to take their looks across game modes; however, this will not be happening as a part of the maintenance build on March 18th.

Moondrop

Banned
Depending on implementation, increasing rank points could be the most "unfair" move yet. PvP rank is the toughest grind in the game- even more than obtaining a legendary weapon. If they increase the rank points so dramatically that it invalidates the previous ranks, then there will be a final mass exodus of the current sPvP community. Though surely they know this...

Depending on implementation, increasing rank points could be the most "unfair" move yet. PvP rank is the toughest grind in the game- even more than obtaining a legendary weapon. If they increase the rank points so dramatically that it invalidates the previous ranks, then there will be a final mass exodus of the current sPvP community. Though surely they know this...

How is that exactly? Is there a Max PvP rank that I don't know about? Otherwise the only people "adversely" affected would be those who've already stopped PvPing as the ones who continue to PvP would enjoy the increased rank points as well.

Moondrop

Banned
How is that exactly? Is there a Max PvP rank that I don't know about? Otherwise the only people "adversely" affected would be those who've already stopped PvPing as the ones who continue to PvP would enjoy the increased rank points as well.

There is an effective max rank (80, Dragon). But again, this depends on the implementation. Let me present a hypothetical:

I have won over 400 matches in sPvP. So let's assume I've played approximately 800 matches (more or less depending on your assumptions of my talent :p). If after the patch you can achieve my present rank in 400 matches, then my achievement has been devalued by half.

Rank, and the associated titles and finishers, are the entire rewards of sPvP (aside from a few dyes). The gear are not proper rewards; that's why they're overhauling it.

There is an effective max rank (80, Dragon). But again, this depends on the implementation. Let me present a hypothetical:

I have won over 400 matches in sPvP. So let's assume I've played approximately 800 matches (more or less depending on your assumptions of my talent :p). If after the patch you can achieve my present rank in 400 matches, then my achievement has been devalued by half.

Rank, and the associated titles and finishers, are the entire rewards of sPvP (aside from a few dyes). The gear are not proper rewards; that's why they're overhauling it.

Ah, so then you're talking from the standpoint of a points change without additional ranks being added then. I get you.

Proven

Don't forget that they wanted to remove rank along with glory and replace both with a different PvP reward. They're only keeping rank because of player intervention.

When glory goes, then rank vendors lose their purpose. The only real reward from ranking up will be the rank finishers going into the future.

The primary reason why I see them increasing rewarded rank is because the amount of points needed to rank from 70 to 80 is about the same amount of points necessary to rank from 1-70. That's not a typo; it takes about as many points as it took to get to rank 70 in the first place just to go from rank 70 to the max rank. Basically, like people clamoring for WvW achievement tracks to become something more achievable in an average person's lifetime, they want to do the same for PvP rank levels. Especially if the only reward from rank levels becomes the finishers.

You might then ask, why don't they just lower the amounts needed for each rank? I think it's because the achievement tracks for rank points are actually separate achievements for every 10 rank levels, rather than the one continually long track used for the WvW achievements. It's probably easier to increase rank point gain by a given percentage rather than decrease the rank point requirements by a given percentage if it means avoiding the possibility of screwing with people's achievement points.

Moondrop

Banned
The primary reason why I see them increasing rewarded rank is because the amount of points needed to rank from 70 to 80 is about the same amount of points necessary to rank from 1-70. That's not a typo; it takes about as many points as it took to get to rank 70 in the first place just to go from rank 70 to the max rank.

Actually it takes more than double what it took to get to 70 to get to 80. But that's a feature of the entire PvP rank progression. 70 is twice the total rank of 60, 60 twice that of 50, etc. Therefore your explanation cannot be the entire reason.

Put it this way: if they announced that in the next patch all WvW points would be increased for all activities, how would the community respond?

Mxrz

So WvW rank still isn't account based. Wasn't this suppose to hit in Dec? I was really looking forward to that.

Put it this way: if they announced that in the next patch all WvW points would be increased for all activities, how would the community respond?
Can't speak for others, but I'd be thrilled. I'm not sure I've met anyone who cares about the rank itself.

Personally, I've always thought arbitrary rank stuff was bs. It contributed more to the slow death of gw1's pvp than anything. I applauded them from making it a bit more meaningless in GW2.

Moondrop

Banned
Whatever; I'll wait for the patch notes. Nevertheless my incentive to PvP for the next month has been reduced to zero, and the long term outlook is now in question.

Trey

gw00812kg3.jpg

Kindal has seen some things.

Levyne

Banned
Not going to tell people how to play, but advice is to not make it a job to get legendaries, do it to treat yourself, not to keep up with the joneses or fill in that select screen box. Don't do it.

Surprised account wvw isn't in yet.

So next LS we are retaking back LA? While I'm all for it I really want LA to stay destroyed or atleast have a complete revamp to make the LS appear more serious and permanent, rather than just, "OH HEY, ERRYTHING BACK TO NORMAL!"

Complistic

There would need to be a sPvP community to exodus in the first place.

Proven

Actually it takes more than double what it took to get to 70 to get to 80. But that's a feature of the entire PvP rank progression. 70 is twice the total rank of 60, 60 twice that of 50, etc. Therefore your explanation cannot be the entire reason.

Ah, so instead of the same amount it's double? I somehow forgot.

But, that doesn't change my point. It's a ridiculous amount. It's a feature, but not a very good feature.

As for the change, it's all about perspective. Whether you multiple by 33% or divide by 3. Either way, it leads to them changing it from X games to max rank to Y games, where Y < X for everybody. From one of your previous posts, you seem more upset about the number of games it takes i.e. the time investment.

But what achievement is there really to rank, especially considering that until a few months ago, rank gain was fastest for most people through hotjoins?

oh, was wondering why i was getting my ass kicked in noob zones. my lvl 20 dude was using starter weapons. as soon as i bought some lvl 20s off the store, im cleaning the zone with ease.

surprised you get so much exp even with the scaling system.

Does guild wars 2 have any sort of sprint/mounts? Quick travel is nice but i kinda wish default movement was a bit faster D:

Proven

oh, was wondering why i was getting my ass kicked in noob zones. my lvl 20 dude was using starter weapons. as soon as i bought some lvl 20s off the store, im cleaning the zone with ease.

Does guild wars 2 have any sort of sprint/mounts? Quick travel is nice but i kinda wish default movement was a bit faster D:

Which class are you?

Edit: I decided to scroll up. Other than using a Warhorn, your only other option is trait III in the Discipline line, Warrior's Sprint.

Shiokazu

well, i can give you reasons to believe its a dragon thats coming out of that hole.

all you need to know is follow my line and remember the key word: Magic. ( plus understand how dragons work and why they rise. so heres some important articles in the wiki that you should know, even to understand the lore around dragons a bit more: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Magic and http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Elder_Dragon )

Scarlet's first mayhem's were just so she could assemble, develop, test, improve, and prepare her forces. not to attack lions arch, but to hold ground to her real deal, a source of magic big enough to mean something. think of someone who just found a huge profit spot and wants to hold and protect that spot because that spot is making him rich.

Scarlet them, starts to look for the said magical source. Magic in tyria flows through everything, everything shares the magic that flow through the world. from stones to elements to plants to living beings, everything in tyria has acess to magic, and because of that magic flows. the bigger the thing or the need for magic ( through manipulation or not ) the more magic will converge to said point, upon getting near and near to those points, the magic start to converge, forming what is a line. these lines are called leylines, now it is where the theory becomes weak, but following my line of thinking, the higher the concentration of magic in one specific area, the greater is the risk of underneath the place there is an elder dragon sleeping.

guess what?

didnt scarlet found one leyline convergence point in the ruins of old lions arch? wasnt her researching dragon energy when the thaumanova reactor blew? and wasnt that exact thumper that went DING? probably meaning that in that place a GIANTIC source of magic was being held, probably, giantic enough to be just like zhaitan's. similar to what happened when the gods come to tyria and settled Arah's heart upon the artesian waters.

also, the drill is turning and grinding right upon where the thumper spot was.

so if you believe in my thinking line, its a matter of " it happened before, its history repeating itself. "

Retro

Yeah, definitely don't let your gear get more than 10 levels old or you'll start running into problems.

The scaling in this game is fantastic, so that even newbie zones still feel relatively interesting at max level. It also helps that the leveling process itself plateaus early (around level 30) and by all accounts seems to speed up for the last 10. We were talking about this earlier in guild chat; for a game where your level really only determines how much content you can access at any given time, leveling is ridiculously easy.

As for sprint / mounts; nope. There is swiftness (every class has access to it somewhere) which is a temporary 30% run speed increase, and some (overpriced) runes that let you run faster, but that's about it. There's a big long rant I have on mounts, but the short version is that they allow you to rush past content rather than through it. The waypoint system is usually enough to get you close to wherever it is you're going, without letting you just fly over the scenery and ignore every obstacle in your path.

Which class are you?

Edit: I decided to scroll up. Other than using a Warhorn, your only other option is trait III in the Discipline line, Warrior's Sprint.

I personally use Warrior's Sprint. I don't break out the Warhorn unless I'm escorting someone for missions or out in WvW (where I trait it to remove conditions to boot). I do make it a point to carry every weapon though.

Which class are you?

There is also an elite skill that gives 30 seconds of sprint, every 60 seconds, as well as other buffs. I tend to use that one a lot, at least in situations where i'm not planning on doing mass rezzing, in which case it gets swapped out for war banner.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Very glad to say my OS hard drive was the issue and its drive motor is likely failing. New SSD is outrageously good. Still not quite out of the woods as I need to get data off of the old drive, but coming out of this it looks like I'll have a more stable system and more than one upgrade in the end too.

Thanks to Mornkor/Katoki for the old wives' trick; tossed the thing in the fridge overnight. Lo and behold I plug it back in and there are my partitions with all my files, completely responsive. Not going to be lulled into thinking it works though as I imagine this just means it is definitely dying, so I've ordered a replacement drive. Wondering if I just pull the current one out, should it be fine/the same til Friday when I could transfer the stuff to the new one directly?

Levito

Banned
Man, I've been so busy this past week that I still haven't had a chance to do any of the content in Escape from LA.

Gotta find a better PVE build for my Mesmer, she's too squishy.

nataku

A question

Is it still possible to transmute starter gear (the character select stuff) to a white item to unsoulbind it? I want to get the other Mesmer masks on my Mesmer, but a quick test to a white item from the TP didn't work.

EDIT: NM, I see it is. The transmute screen says otherwise, but it makes it account bound instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom