• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
A question

Is it still possible to transmute starter gear (the character select stuff) to a white item to unsoulbind it? I want to get the other Mesmer masks on my Mesmer, but a quick test to a white item from the TP didn't work.
Hell yes it is

Oh wait, you said you tried it? Oh, when you say it "didn't work," did you actually try transmuting to the new stats item and equipping it on the other character, or just seeing it say soulbound?

nataku

I didn't actually push the button, just saw the message saying it would be soulbound and assumed. I didn't want to waste a transmutation crystal only to have it still be soulbound, but was looking around the internet and read it should still work so I just tried it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I didn't actually push the button, just saw the message saying it would be soulbound and assumed. I didn't want to waste a transmutation crystal only to have it still be soulbound, but was looking around the internet and read it should still work so I just tried it.
This is what I followed, found elsewhere on the internet. As long as it hasn't been altered since I did mine, this was my exact experience.
1.) Make a new thief with hood.
2.) Buy a mask on current character
5.) Now you can transmute the mask into hood.
6.) Put the new transmuted hood into bank
7.) Go into your current thief and then take out the transmuted hood.
8.) Now you can transmute the hood with any mask

Note: It will say it's soulbound but you can still move it to another bank no problem. I have my engineer running a hood! Enjoy!

Thanks to Mornkor/Katoki for the old wives' trick; tossed the thing in the fridge overnight. Lo and behold I plug it back in and there are my partitions with all my files, completely responsive. Not going to be lulled into thinking it works though as I imagine this just means it is definitely dying, so I've ordered a replacement drive. Wondering if I just pull the current one out, should it be fine/the same til Friday when I could transfer the stuff to the new one directly?
Its not a long term trick in any way, get what you can asap.

Fuck no. Doesn't let you put medium armor on heavy :p

Runes of Magic doesn't give a fuck, they allow your to transmute whatever you want..My Knight was rocking light armor...wish GW2 transmute system was like that, was very disappointed when i found out how it works..

Taffer

A question

Is it still possible to transmute starter gear (the character select stuff) to a white item to unsoulbind it? I want to get the other Mesmer masks on my Mesmer, but a quick test to a white item from the TP didn't work.

EDIT: NM, I see it is. The transmute screen says otherwise, but it makes it account bound instead.

This is extremely timely, I came in to ask someone to post this method as I needs more skull masques.

Proven

Runes of Magic doesn't give a fuck, they allow your to transmute whatever you want..My Knight was rocking light armor...wish GW2 transmute system was like that, was very disappointed when i found out how it works..

Please, I want at least minimal identification of classes before engagement without having to click on them. It's bad enough that with weapons stowed you have on average a 1 in 2 chance of guessing the right class if people don't make their armor profession matching enough.

TF2 spoiled me on threat identification.

Please, I want at least minimal identification of classes before engagement without having to click on them. It's bad enough that with weapons stowed you have on average a 1 in 2 chance of guessing the right class if people don't make their armor profession matching enough.

TF2 spoiled me on threat identification.

I don't really look at the armor in wvwvw to see what class they are, especially since they have a generic look in that mode. Usually I tell by the color when they are doing stuff, like purple stuff is mesmer, blue means its a guardian, engineers you can make out their backpack and stuff usually. Eles, well who doesn't notice an ele, they are always spewing fire and lightning.

Arenanet actually did a good job in that regard, since if the only difference in wvwvw was the generic garb the opponents used, that would be a real pain. Especially if somehow you end up in the middle of a zerg battle. Though roaming you can easily lock on and see stragglers way before you both get in engagement range most of the time.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Maybe. Keep it unplugged until you are ready to transfer your data and make sure to chill it for a few hours beforehand.
I'll unplug it when I get home, but I've been watching it on Teamviewer all day long and doing transfers of stuff I can fit on my existing drives, and it's been completely stable. What in the actual fuck. Last night it wasn't even being recognized as a DRIVE!

I can sometimes tell by looking at the signets under the healthbar. Eles will have their attunement, guards with their virtues, rangers like signet of the hunt, warriors with their 6 signets, etc.

Who wants to do a dungeon marathon later today? I haven't run many of the dungeons in months.

I can sometimes tell by looking at the signets under the healthbar. Eles will have their attunement, guards with their virtues, rangers like signet of the hunt, warriors with their 6 signets, etc.

Who wants to do a dungeon marathon later today? I haven't run many of the dungeons in months.

Im up for some dungeons!

I'll unplug it when I get home, but I've been watching it on Teamviewer all day long and doing transfers of stuff I can fit on my existing drives, and it's been completely stable. What in the actual fuck. Last night it wasn't even being recognized as a DRIVE!
Sometimes you can get a few days of runtime out of the trick, sometimes it can be minutes or hours. It's all a matter of how messed up the drive platters and head are. Either way, there's really no way to tell without cracking open the casing which is why I urge all haste in getting your stuff off before it really goes kaput.

BrettWeir

I can't log into D3. Forgotten credentials sucks with Blizzard.

But that's ok, because I got to group with God Vyrance in LA, which makes everything so much better. /cloud 9

half way to 75! Not bad for a character who started this event as a lv 50 something. Should hit 80 by Friday, which will mean alt number six, going to hold off on any other alts for a while after that.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Dunno if it's happened or happening or what but I may well be getting on looking for dungeons shortly. Any paths in the game except Arah, SE2, or TA Aether would be cool

Proven

I don't really look at the armor in wvwvw to see what class they are, especially since they have a generic look in that mode. Usually I tell by the color when they are doing stuff, like purple stuff is mesmer, blue means its a guardian, engineers you can make out their backpack and stuff usually. Eles, well who doesn't notice an ele, they are always spewing fire and lightning.

Arenanet actually did a good job in that regard, since if the only difference in wvwvw was the generic garb the opponents used, that would be a real pain. Especially if somehow you end up in the middle of a zerg battle. Though roaming you can easily lock on and see stragglers way before you both get in engagement range most of the time.

No, I have no problem after combat starts. My problem is that you can't tell what class someone is just by looking at them. You have to click on them (you don't even have to look for signets anymore, since they even updated WvW to show class icons in the UI), or you have to wait on them to use a skill which is usually their first attack on you. If they have their weapons out for whatever reason (just used a movement skill you didn't see or killed something recently) then between weapons and armor type I can make a decent guess, but for certain armor type and weapon combinations (of course, the popular ones) that guess is only slightly better than before they pulled out a weapon.

In Team Fortress 2, a guy just standing there with his primary weapon out gives you so much more information about what a guy can do to you and how he'll try to kill you before any clicks happen. Sure it's because the average TTK is lower than in GW2, so you need more information to keep the opening engagement from being a coin flip or worse, but it's just something I've come to enjoy so much in multiplayer games that design that way. Off topic, but in terms of card games it's probably one of the other reasons why I liked VS. System way more than Magic...

Does GW2 have any large gameplay changes after you 'learned' all the core attacking skills of weapons? Traits and what not seem to be mostly just cd buffs or DoT or something, nothing really core attacks.

Moondrop

Banned
Does GW2 have any large gameplay changes after you 'learned' all the core attacking skills of weapons? Traits and what not seem to be mostly just cd buffs or DoT or something, nothing really core attacks.

Many traits do make your build feel fundamentally different, even if it's just a shift in internal numbers.

From personal experience I will cite:
Warrior- weapon cooldown reduction, healing shouts;
Ranger- pet, trap, and spirit traits;
Ele- elemental attunement cooldown reduction and swap buffs;
Mesmer- phantasm buffs;
as example of traits that make a build go from non-existent to viable.

I know this to be true as well for the classes I don't play. Once you have basic familiarity with the game you can read up on the meta builds and see the game-changing traits.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Once you've unlocked all your utility and elite skills as well, that's it for options on your bar. Traits are a mixed bag depending on your class; some, especially Grandmaster traits, can have a notable gameplay impact. For me the biggest thing affecting my builds in the late gate were Sigils and Rune sets though. These can change things up more than you might suspect, and rune sets are a great basis to theme a build around.

^In terms of traits with more active effects, for Mesmer, I'd have mentioned Deceptive Evasion, and Evasive Arcana for Ele. They definitely changed my play.

Really depends on the class, your spec, and what your gameplay focus is. Certain abilities are more useful then others in certain circumstances and load outs.

Retro

Not really, beyond unlocking new utility/elite skills. It's always been my opinion that the limited number of weapon skills and the fact that they can't be manually arranged on the hotbar allows you to play on instinct rather than memorizing icons and watching cooldown timers. Since the game usually does a good job of giving you interesting new situations in which to use those skills, it has never bothered me too much except when playing classes that fell like they need another weapon or two (and on that note, the skill setup also makes playing alts easier).

As for traits, no argument there. They are entirely too passive and stat-driven for a game with combat like this. I've been advocating for an overhaul since before launch.

Levito

Banned
Can't recall the name of who I was talking to in mumble yesterday, but they told me they had 15 80's. XD

Do you guys still do guild WvW runs on fridays?

Can't recall the name of who I was talking to in mumble yesterday, but they told me they had 15 80's. XD

Do you guys still do guild WvW runs on fridays?

I remember that. At some point, you have people making alts with different specs just so they can have that spec geared and ready for anything. I'd get burned out trying that.

Heck, i'm still trying to gear up what I have. You'd need ether to grind for thousands of hours or spend a ton of gold to get 15 alts geared up for endgame.

Ceres

Banned
I remember that. At some point, you have people making alts with different specs just so they can have that spec geared and ready for anything. I'd get burned out trying that.

Heck, i'm still trying to gear up what I have. You'd need ether to grind for thousands of hours or spend a ton of gold to get 15 alts geared up for endgame.

I would never make alts for different builds but build templates is the one major thing I would love to be added. Let me pay something like 5s to change both my skill and traits to a template I setup. I never bother changing builds once I'm happy with one because I'm too lazy.

I would never make alts for different builds but build templates is the one major thing I would love to be added. Let me pay something like 5s to change both my skill and traits to a template I setup. I never bother changing builds once I'm happy with one because I'm too lazy.

I'd like to have Rift style multi-specs myself. Being able to have say, one for PVE, one for WvWvW, and one for group instances.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'd like to have Rift style multi-specs myself. Being able to have say, one for PVE, one for WvWvW, and one for group instances.
Templates > that though cause it allows you to do that one the one hand but adds more functionality- I have multiple builds I switch between constantly for PvE alone

xeris

Missed this earlier. Honestly I'd get burned out playing the same character every night. Every one I play slightly different or do different things (LS,different areas, etc.)

I have just over 2400 hours played and about half of those are in full exotic. Most of the rest are in a mix, which really is fine for most endgame purposes. I never directly spend gold on gear. Dungeon tokens, drops, and crafting is how I gear em.

Templates > that though cause it allows you to do that one the one hand but adds more functionality- I have multiple builds I switch between constantly for PvE alone

the rift thing allows for that, doesn't it? I remember playing the beta and having different templates or such where I could spend the talents differently.

Missed this earlier. Honestly I'd get burned out playing the same character every night. Every one I play slightly different or do different things (LS,different areas, etc.)

I have just over 2400 hours played and about half of those are in full exotic. Most of the rest are in a mix, which really is fine for most endgame purposes. I never directly spend gold on gear. Dungeon tokens, drops, and crafting is how I gear em.

I couldn't ether, hence having seven characters, six at the endgame. Most are wearing a mix, though the warrior is in full exotics for all but jewelery. Most of my current exotics are all crafted, as I have terrible luck getting them to drop. Really need to start doing more dungeon runs though, I'd love to put the guardian and thief in dungeon gear, ditto for the engineer.

And this is why it's worth developing characters outside the norm.

Come to think of it, i'm actually surprised how female dominated the lead characters for GW 2 are.

DE had three women, two men, though it was the other way around in the book. The LS folks are four women and one man.

We also see that out of the big three romance subplots, two are between women.

I was happy to see the disabled hero though, you just don't see that very often in gaming. Hearing it actually inspired someone is all the better.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I thought this short article was endearing (massively)

Guild Wars 2 NPC inspires player with multiple sclerosis

And the player's original official forum post

"I don't know where you're going with Taimi. But honestly I don't care. Because now, in Tyria, I can imagine having a giant golem cart me around when I can't feel my legs or when they hurt too badly to walk. Now when I get derisive or pitying looks, I can take a minute to imagine I'm sitting on a golem's shoulder like a complete kitten. So thank you for thinking of people like me. Thank you for thinking about how someone with a disability might get along in your world. And thank you for making her awesome."
So sweet

Lunar15

Come to think of it, i'm actually surprised how female dominated the lead characters for GW 2 are.

DE had three women, two men, though it was the other way around in the book. The LS folks are four women and one man.

We also see that out of the big three romance subplots, two are between women.

I was happy to see the disabled hero though, you just don't see that very often in gaming. Hearing it actually inspired someone is all the better.

I think the best part is that none of it slapping you in the face with "LOOK HOW PROGRESSIVE WE ARE!" It's just part of the story, the characters are who they are and it doesn't dominate their characteristics.

I've got problems with Anet's writing in spots, but this is the stuff I like.

Mxrz

I see the opposite.

Kasmeer and Majory are being pushed pretty hard over Rox and Brahm. I don't even remember why they're involved. Just that their slobbering over each other. Kasmeer was little more than a decoration until the whole lesbian/Majory bit came along. Its a little tedious watching any NPCs talk over the player, and in a few living story bits (tower) its all these two did.

Hot, sexy lesbians is also about as safe a bet as you can make. That's a wee bit more acceptable to the main audience than say two dudes smanging each other. Yet the homophobia dismissals are already creeping in.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
big old meh to all that. I don't see Rox and Braham being "pushed" at all, just speculation on the part of fans. So far as the text and subtext we are given they are no more than friends with common interests bonded through adventure.

Marjory Delaqua is a private investigator and was tasked by Logan with figuring out who was responsible and where they were hiding out in the wake of Theo Ashford's assassination. Kasmeer is her partner and a powerful mesmer; she disenchanted the veil around the Tower of Nightmares. They fact that you don't remember these reasons doesn't mean they weren't there. They also happen to be into each other, but there was plenty of speculation that this was also just imagined on the part of fans before they started being more obvious about it which coincided with their relationship actually getting more serious over the course of presented events. It doesn't define them. It also wasn't the first gay relationship in the game (and its antecedent was not presented as the uniformly sexy and positive male fantasy you seem to be implying of this one). I grant you that a lesbian relationship is a more palatable play to the target audience than a gay male relationship devoid of context, but I think you're taking things a bit cynically here. I don't see why "homophobia dismissals" need come into play at all.

Mxrz

I'm sure I'm cynical. But I don't think it means this stuff isn't there.

I'm a firm fan of the game and the company, but I've been less than thrilled by some of the stuff coming out of the Art & Writing departments. It *is* an idealized male fantasy world. You cannot make a less than perfect female norn/human. Female armor is sexed up the wazoo. The watchwork had ass/boob plates. The Zodiac armor has female nipples. The other gay relationship is another pair of 'hot lesbians' even if in a elven planty-flavor. I do believe Kasmeer and Majory overshadow the more interesting Rox and Brahm.

None of this stops me from enjoying the game (well the armor thing is frustrating) but its there. I also wonder if I'll someday I'll log in and realize I'm playing Tera.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm sure I'm cynical. But I don't think it means this stuff isn't there.

I'm a firm fan of the game and the company, but I've been less than thrilled by some of the stuff coming out of the Art & Writing departments. It *is* an idealized male fantasy world. You cannot make a less than perfect female norn/human. Female armor is sexed up the wazoo. The watchwork had ass/boob plates. The Zodiac armor has female nipples. The other gay relationship is another pair of 'hot lesbians' even if in a elven planty-flavor. I do believe Kasmeer and Majory overshadow the more interesting Rox and Brahm.

None of this stops me from enjoying the game (well the armor thing is frustrating) but its there. I also wonder if I'll someday I'll log in and realize I'm playing Tera.

I suppose my point was that everything on your list there (well, except Caithe and Faolain's relationship which stuck me as pretty damn non-idealized and possibly even a metaphor for codependency) is way more damning than Marjory and Kasmeer.

admittedly if I log on one day and see this on the gem store my patience will have been exhausted
eSO6kfh.png
She's not merely disabled, her disease is degenerative :( It may spread to her entire body eventually (though not necessarily fatal, there is no known cure). It's actually very analogous to MS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom