• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arkanius

I suppose my point was that everything on your list there (well, except Caithe and Faolain's relationship which stuck me as pretty damn non-idealized and possibly even a metaphor for codependency) is way more damning than Marjory and Kasmeer.

admittedly if I log on one day and see this on the gem store my patience will have been exhausted

She's not merely disabled, her disease is degenerative :( It may spread to her entire body eventually (though not necessarily fatal, there is no known cure). It's actually very analogous to MS.

It's amazing and kudos for them. It clearly resonated with that player that suffers from MS

G2Bs3HS.jpg

PRdLJJy.jpg

I'm finally satisfied with my Warrior armor. Sorry for the typical Abyss dye, but it contrasts so well with Royal Purple

Lunar15

It's amazing and kudos for them. It clearly resonated with that player that suffers from MS

I'm finally satisfied with my Warrior armor. Sorry for the typical Abyss dye, but it contrasts so well with Royal Purple

Were you trying to make an Artorius armor? Because if so, that's awesome.

Katoki

If I did this same outfit, my character would be showing a whole lot of skin from the waist down.

Though, my current plans are to use the Seraph armor as the base and then throw in flavor by adjusting gloves, boots and shoulders. Maybe when the next transmutation crystal sale comes around.

Arkanius

Were you trying to make an Artorius armor? Because if so, that's awesome.

I was inspired by the colourset of a totally different character:

tactics_ogre_lans_tartare_art.jpg

(Which has more colour than the original SNES artwork)

And then I went with something that looked like a classic solid armor. Went with Orrian while avoiding most of the algae (chestplate) and the horrible Helmet.

Retro

So, this was recently tweeted;

‏
@GuildWars2
It's that time again: You should log into #GuildWars2 and check the promotions tab in the BLTC. ;) ~RB2 #GW2

I haven't logged in yet, but I bet it's more free stuff... Awful lot of freebies, lately.
Edit: Free Trading Post express.

Kasmeer and Majory are being pushed pretty hard over Rox and Brahm. I don't even remember why they're involved. Just that their slobbering over each other. Kasmeer was little more than a decoration until the whole lesbian/Majory bit came along. Its a little tedious watching any NPCs talk over the player, and in a few living story bits (tower) its all these two did.

I agree that Kasmeer and Marjory are more involved than Rox and Braham, but I think there's two good reasons for that. First, Rox and Braham's involvement has more or less been incidental; they were in the wrong places at the wrong times (Rox as a probationary member of Rytlock's warband, Braham because his village was attacked). Marjory and Kasmeer, on the other hand, were hired by Logan to investigate the death of Theo Ashford, and have stayed involved because of their skill with toxins and illusions, respectively. They're sort of at the front and center because that's what they were brought in to do.

Structurally, it feels like we see more of Kasmeer and Marjory because Rox and Braham came first almost a year ago (Flame and Frost started January 28th, though we didn't meet Rox and Braham until March 26th). They kind of had their introductory phase and then sat on the backburner a bit until there was reason to bring them back (the Queen's Jubilee in August). So it seems like those two characters are being pushed hard because they pretty much didn't have that cooling off phase where we didn't see them.

And personally, I love having the NPCs 'talk over' me. I think the "I'M the hero!" approach to MMO storytelling cannot exist, simply because every player has the same experiences and so becomes one of several million special heroic snowflakes (which of course means that nobody is actually special). I'd rather have ArenaNet give us strong, interesting characters than waste time and money trying to maintain the impossible illusion that every player is the One True Hero and Savior of Tyria.

You cannot make a less than perfect female norn/human. Female armor is sexed up the wazoo.

Yeah you can. When I was trying to decide what I wanted my Norn Ranger to look like, I purposely made a really ugly female on purpose. There's a couple faces that are definitely not youthful and a few that are scarred, and you can make them bald. You do really have to dig in though, unfortunately, so you're not entirely wrong. And you're definitely not wrong on the armor situation, since I'm a big fan of the 'petite frame in full plate' look (Joan of Arc, Elizabeth at Tilbury, etc.) and getting it has been rather difficult for my Guardian (to the point where I gave up and wear Braham's armor). Seeing the female variant of the Phalanx armor was a particularly sad moment, and I'm still irritated I can't get the awesome Named medium set on my thief without it turning into bondage gear;
named_armor_medium_huo1ulm.jpg
named_armor_medium_humcult.jpg

The other gay relationship is another pair of 'hot lesbians' even if in a elven planty-flavor.

I get homosexual vibes, but I think that's only because that's the closest parallel we have to that sort of relationship. I think it goes much deeper than "Leafy Lesbians"; Sylvari don't reproduce, spawn fully grown from the same 'mother', and they share a sort of communal memory in the Dream. I think for Sylvari there's a connection that runs deeper than any relationship humans could ever have, and the dialogue kind of plays on that. Without creeping into creepy terms, it's almost like they're twin sisters, lovers (the wiki confirms this) and best friends, all before they were even 'born' and all at the same time.

It's like how humans have three types of photo-receptors that allow us to see colors in the spectrum of blue, green and red, but some animals have photo-receptors for many more additional colors that we can't even name, because our brains cannot even process what they might possibly be (the Mantis shrimp, for example, has sixteen types of photo-receptors). I get the feeling that the Sylvari are meant to have a bond that goes deeper than what humans can really think of.

admittedly if I log on one day and see this on the gem store my patience will have been exhausted.

I forgot how insultingly bad TERA's armor is. That takes "Chainmail Bikini" to a whole new level; "Chainmail Shoestring and two postage stamps."

ne3dtj84k3md65_1_2l9uuy.jpg

That said, Shredder is pretty damn cool looking and your armor set up looks really good. I hope we get capes soon.

You know there's eyepatches in the gem store now, right?

Arkanius

So, this was recently tweeted;

‏

I haven't logged in yet, but I bet it's more free stuff... Awful lot of freebies, lately.
Edit: Free Trading Post express.

I agree that Kasmeer and Marjory are more involved than Rox and Braham, but I think there's two good reasons for that. First, Rox and Braham's involvement has more or less been incidental; they were in the wrong places at the wrong times (Rox as a probationary member of Rytlock's warband, Braham because his village was attacked). Marjory and Kasmeer, on the other hand, were hired by Logan to investigate the death of Theo Ashford, and have stayed involved because of their skill with toxins and illusions, respectively. They're sort of at the front and center because that's what they were brought in to do.

Structurally, it feels like we see more of Kasmeer and Marjory because Rox and Braham came first almost a year ago (Flame and Frost started January 28th, though we didn't meet Rox and Braham until March 26th). They kind of had their introductory phase and then sat on the backburner a bit until there was reason to bring them back (the Queen's Jubilee in August). So it seems like those two characters are being pushed hard because they pretty much didn't have that cooling off phase where we didn't see them.

And personally, I love having the NPCs 'talk over' me. I think the "I'M the hero!" approach to MMO storytelling cannot exist, simply because every player has the same experiences and so becomes one of several million special heroic snowflakes (which of course means that nobody is actually special). I'd rather have ArenaNet give us strong, interesting characters than waste time and money trying to maintain the impossible illusion that every player is the One True Hero and Savior of Tyria.

Yeah you can. When I was trying to decide what I wanted my Norn Ranger to look like, I purposely made a really ugly female on purpose. There's a couple faces that are definitely not youthful and a few that are scarred, and you can make them bald. You do really have to dig in though, unfortunately, so you're not entirely wrong. And you're definitely not wrong on the armor situation, since I'm a big fan of the 'petite frame in full plate' look (Joan of Arc, Elizabeth at Tilbury, etc.)

I get homosexual vibes, but I think that's only because that's the closest parallel we have to that sort of relationship. I think it goes much deeper than "Leafy Lesbians"; Sylvari don't reproduce, spawn fully grown from the same 'mother', and they share a sort of communal memory in the Dream. I think for Sylvari there's a connection that runs deeper than any relationship humans could ever have, and the dialogue kind of plays on that. Without creeping into creepy terms, it's almost like they're twin sisters, lovers (the wiki confirms this) and best friends, all before they were even 'born' and all at the same time.

It's like how humans have three types of photo-receptors that allow us to see colors in the spectrum of blue, green and red, but some animals have photo-receptors for many more additional colors that we can't even name, because our brains cannot even process what they might possibly be (the Mantis shrimp, for example, has sixteen types of photo-receptors). I get the feeling that the Sylvari are meant to have a bond that goes deeper than what humans can really think of.

I forgot how insultingly bad TERA's armor is. That takes "Chainmail Bikini" to a whole new level; "Chainmail Shoestring and two postage stamps."

ne3dtj84k3md65_1_2l9uuy.jpg

That said, Shredder is pretty damn cool looking and your armor set up looks really good. I hope we get capes soon.

You know there's eyepatches in the gem store now, right?

I didn't like the appearance of that particular eyepatch. Thought about getting it though.
But yeah, I knew someone would say it looked like Shredder :p

I miss Guild Capes so much. Orrian leggings is the closest we can get to it :(

Retro

I didn't like the appearance of that particular eyepatch. Thought about getting it though.
But yeah, I knew someone would say it looked like Shredder :p

I miss Guild Capes so much. Orrian leggings is the closest we can get to it :(

I think the eyepatch is alright if you dye it dark enough to wash some of the detail out so it looks like just a strap and patch (it's a little too 'fancy' otherwise), but I don't think it's going away soon and I don't really have a character I would use it on anyways.

The similarities to Shredder are mostly because of the helmet, but like I said it's not a bad look at all. You could do worse for 80s cartoon villains. A loooooooot worse.

And yeah, we need capes. Yesterday. I hope they're coming.

Katoki

And you're definitely not wrong on the armor situation, since I'm a big fan of the 'petite frame in full plate' look (Joan of Arc, Elizabeth at Tilbury, etc.) and getting it has been rather difficult for my Guardian (to the point where I gave up and wear Braham's armor).

For covered up, I use the AC chest armor with the pit fighter leggings. Since norn are still a humanoid class, it should look the same as the set I have on my guardian. Gloves, boots, and shoulders are based on your own preference. I'm not quite sure what your aim at full plate is but for this, there no skin showing besides for if you hide the helmet.

Korten

Banned
I really like how they're making such a diverse cast, that being said I hope they don't go overboard. Like that every character is a special snowflake, i.e. they start seeming less like they were developed like that and start seeming like they're diverse for the sake of being diverse.

Or to put it more aptly, no characters right now are purely defined by what makes them unique. I just fear that if they add something like... The first male gay couple or character, and the only reason you know that character is because of that one note.

So to stress it, I'm not against diverse characters, I just hope they don't make it seem like they're being diverse for the sake of being diverse.

Retro

For covered up, I use the AC chest armor with the pit fighter leggings. Since norn are still a humanoid class, it should look the same as the set I have on my guardian. Gloves, boots, and shoulders are based on your own preference. I'm not quite sure what your aim at full plate is but for this, there no skin showing besides for if you hide the helmet.

Yep, AC and CM are both good examples of the 'look' I'm going for. The "Dark" Armor skin is also pretty good, though a tad too 'skirt like' for my preferences. Basically, I'd be okay if there was an armor set that just straight up ignored gender and looked heavy and intimidating for both. I'm in the minority on this, I think.

I might add that SE and draconic armor is a total coverage for heavy females of any race. Looks decent with a number of other armors.

I like the light named armor as well, looks good on humans and also provides a good amount of cover.

Retro

I dinked around a little bit with the various armor sites and such, and ended up with a look that's surprisingly not bad;

armorp5ros.jpg

I will keep hunting for different boots, however, since the rest of the armor is fairly shiny while those are rather dull. All they need to add now are big, flowing capes and I'd be fairly happy with that look.

Getting all those pieces dyed is going to be tough though, since different armor sets tend to have slightly different variations of the same dye. Oh well, I'm not in any rush since lately I've been focusing on my Engineer and Ranger (who, thanks to the low level rare version of Named armor I got on the cheap, a leftover backpack strap and a total makeover kit, looks pretty much exactly how I'd hoped):
ranger9aujr.jpg

Mxrz

I'd give anything if I could make my Charr look as nice as my Sylvari or Norn. Ascended armor looks like a damn diaper on her.

Complistic

Character page? Character page.

Rockin that zerk armor lately. My normal set is rabid. Honestly I like both about equally. Two very different play styles but I seem about as effective in both. 5k every life blast (the auto attack in deathshroud) even without any vulnerability means I 3 shot every squishy mob in the game.

I don't think Anet sexualized the human female T3 heavy armor; the chest doesn't have breast plating and the amount of exposed skin is the same as the male's. I have two other issues though: 1) the arm* (not gloves), legging, and calf portions are painted right onto the skin and do not have the added "metal armor bulk" like the gloves, shoulders, etc, have and 2) the idling animations do not fit heavy armor types and look more in place with the light-armors.

*The Draconic upper arms also have the same problem of the "painted on" look. Looks way too skinny, even when taking into account Anet proportions. The human female T2, Whispers, CoF, and Ascended are heavy armor examples that do not have this issue.

LiveSpartan235

Neo Member
GW2 will be Buy to Play in China and will have a Free Closed Beta on March 11th
http://online.wsj.com/article/PR-CO-20140227-916325.html

BEIJING, Feb. 27, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- KongZhong Corporation (NASDAQ:KONG), a leading provider of digital entertainment services for consumers in the PRC, today has officially announced its commercialization strategy of Guild Wars 2, the groundbreaking fantasy MMO developed by ArenaNet in the west, when the hit online game publishes in China with partner KongZhong. Guild Wars 2 China will keep the same premium game play experience and innovative business model: players just pay for the game key one time, then are able to play the game for free with no subscription fee. In addition, on March 11, Guild Wars 2 China will host an exclusive two-week closed beta test where Chinese players will be invited to try out the revolutionary MMO for free.

Regarding the final retail price of the game, to ensure a strong market fit, Guild Wars 2 China will conduct a new round of market research with players and then announce the result.

Guild Wars 2 Global Strategy - KongZhong applies global vision to a proven business model

As the most anticipated online role playing game in 2014, the Guild Wars 2 China business model has been the focus of great interest by Chinese press and players. After conducting exhaustive research on multiple aspects of the market and working closely with ArenaNet, KongZhong has decided to respect the users opinions and choose the same business model that has made the game the fastest-selling MMO in western history. The business model is as simple as it is fair: when a player buys Guild Wars 2 China, they can play the entire game without any subscription.

In order to deliver Chinese players fresh new content at the same time as western players, Guild Wars 2 China will be synchronized with the western version in terms of game updates, operation scale, tech support, and customer service. Game content will largely remain the same in both versions, with the exception of some adjustments to the new-player tutorial that are designed for and requested by Chinese players.

So here's what I've put together for my norn guardian. I'm having trouble with finding any good leggings and boots, but I'm otherwise pretty happy with her.
brunarmor_zps28072bc6.jpg

Then I have Lanius with mostly Named armor skin. Very similar setup to my female human mesmer. Light Named armor looks really good on both sexes without using the usual skimpy miniskirt and frilly top for female characters.

I thought this short article was endearing (massively)

Guild Wars 2 NPC inspires player with multiple sclerosis

And the player's original official forum post

Awwww, that's sweet.

Regarding the whole Marjory and Kashmeer, I actually thought it was quite subtly done; I didn't even realize they were an item until the living story mission about putting together all the Scarlet evidence, and even then it was in optional chatter (of course, I've not been playing the game as frequently lately so I might have missed other, more obvious stuff). What I really loved about that is how naturally they did it; ArenaNet didn't do a "LOOK AT THE HOT LESBIANS". Rather, these are two characters that happen to love each other; their orientation isn't their defining trait , just as heterosexuality isn't the defining trait of straight characters. I for one also love Marjory; female hardboiled noir detectives that are well done and convincing aren't exactly common (her voice actor definitely helps a lot selling the character, kudos to her).

Also, regarding the "you can't make a female character that's not perfect", I think he most referred to body types; still, GW2 might be the first MMO where the default female body type at least approaches realism, and you can make realistically curvy or flat characters as well (in fact the default Sylvari female body type is quite flat). More importantly, you can't make a "less than perfect" male either, so there's parity in that regard. My guess is that making all kinds of body types is not justifiable for them as an investment, when a relatively small percentage of the population will use them. Unfortunate, perhaps, but understandable.

Ceres

Banned
Awwww, that's sweet.

Regarding the whole Marjory and Kashmeer, I actually thought it was quite subtly done; I didn't even realize they were an item until the living story mission about putting together all the Scarlet evidence, and even then it was in optional chatter (of course, I've not been playing the game as frequently lately so I might have missed other, more obvious stuff). What I really loved about that is how naturally they did it; ArenaNet didn't do a "LOOK AT THE HOT LESBIANS". Rather, these are two characters that happen to love each other; their orientation isn't their defining trait , just as heterosexuality isn't the defining trait of straight characters. I for one also love Marjory; female hardboiled noir detectives that are well done and convincing aren't exactly common (her voice actor definitely helps a lot selling the character, kudos to her).

I don't think it was hit you over the head obvious to begin with but I certainly made comments in guild chat on their relationship in the patch just before tower of nightmares which was November I think. It wasn't until Mario or the patch just before that I think where the first intro instance had dialog where you figure out it was really the direction they were going and not just fanservice/head canon for random people.

I don't think it was hit you over the head obvious to begin with but I certainly made comments in guild chat on their relationship in the patch just before tower of nightmares which was November I think. It wasn't until Mario or the patch just before that I think where the first intro instance had dialog where you figure out it was really the direction they were going and not just fanservice/head canon for random people.

Even when it was obvious, it's probably one of the more tastefully done lesbian romances I can remember in a game. They aren't all 'lol, i'll sleep with anything!' or 'lol, lets have smex! Yay girlsex!"

Instead, they just seem to be two women who care for each other. The scene by the fire in the most recent patch is rather touching. Kudos for even having Kassmer shiver in the code, just like the dialog says she is.

Though, I wonder if that's also a side swipe at how the showy female armor doesn't seem to well suited the the cold, unless your a norn or such.

Lunar15

I'm just glad Anet introduced a likeable bunch of characters after the Destiny's Edge debacle.

Probably better for them in the long run too, since they're probably not as high profile voice actors.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
ballsy move to go for a pure buy to play model in China. There's a font of subscription/timecard money in the Asian market and I'm stunned NCSoft didn't just put the hammer down toward restructuring the game to accomodate. If they pull this off well they will be untouchable worldwide for years to come.

Lunar15

ballsy move to go for a pure buy to play model in China. There's a font of subscription/timecard money in the Asian market and I'm stunned NCSoft didn't just put the hammer down toward restructuring the game to accomodate. If they pull this off well they will be untouchable worldwide for years to come.

Will it even work though? Is china even accustomed to buying games in a traditional sense? I thought a lot of games over there were F2P and Sub based in order to avoid piracy.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Will it even work though?
do not know
Is china even accustomed to buying games in a traditional sense?
Not really (on PC)
I thought a lot of games over there were F2P and Sub based in order to avoid piracy.
There are other reasons too. An internet cafe culturally lets people from a lot of different backgrounds sort of mingle socially with the same access to games as a "thing to do" out of the house, rather than just a free-time leisure activity like reading or watching tv.

It's a gamble. But remember ultimately this is 100% NCSoft's call, and they are a Korean company. They aren't going to take a chance on blind faith, they must have some reasoning to believe that they'll be effective in this market.

I like that you went for black pants, because it helps break it up a bit.

Gold and red is never a bad combo, unless it's garnet and gold.

These are the Dyes I used.
- Main: Blood
- Outline: Redemption
- Metal parts: Lemonade

Yeah I might change up the colours on my boots as well.

Ceres

Banned
Even when it was obvious, it's probably one of the more tastefully done lesbian romances I can remember in a game. They aren't all 'lol, i'll sleep with anything!' or 'lol, lets have smex! Yay girlsex!"

Instead, they just seem to be two women who care for each other. The scene by the fire in the most recent patch is rather touching. Kudos for even having Kassmer shiver in the code, just like the dialog says she is.

Though, I wonder if that's also a side swipe at how the showy female armor doesn't seem to well suited the the cold, unless your a norn or such.

Yeah, it's definitely done well. We're getting to watch their relationship grow as well because they're not even "together" together yet. Which helps make people invested. I mean, the major hetro relationship we've seen in both Personal and LS everyone just makes fun of and yet here we are actually talking about Kasjory's development. Overall it seems like the female NPCs are just put together better than their male counterparts. Braham is like the one exception where I don't role my eyes when he shows up.

Lunar15

Now that we're talking about DYE SETS. It's time for a shameless self insert:

iRKNMV06a3QZg.jpg

This is my slapdash "Lion's Arch Memorial" dye set. I've actually tweaked it a bit since this screenshot, but I don't have any pics of it. What I do is I look at whatever source I'm using (this time it was pictures of Lion's Arch before it was destroyed) and then I go into photoshop and make little circles of colors extracted from the picture and see how they overlap and blend with each other by messing around with hue sliders.

The dark blue (I think it's tea jeans) is from both the rocks in LA, as well as the paint on most of the ship-houses. The lighter blue and white fur is from the wave-like canopies in the shopping district. The shoulder and the top fur is wood colored, to match the ships that are hanging all around. The gloves already had a lion on them, so I made them gold and white to match the statue in the plaza.

I want to perfect this a bit, add a bit more green (for the rocks) and some more wood colors and orange to reflect the painting on the sides of most of the buildings in LA.

You know, part of me is feeling pretty silly that I never considered dying my armor in colors > 3.

Going to have to go home and play with some of them a bit I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom