• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even when it was obvious, it's probably one of the more tastefully done lesbian romances I can remember in a game. They aren't all 'lol, i'll sleep with anything!' or 'lol, lets have smex! Yay girlsex!"

Instead, they just seem to be two women who care for each other.

Yeah, that's the thing I liked most. They focused more on the romantinc/sentimental side of it rather than the sexy/fanservicey side. Having an unusually high quota of female developers, designers and writers is working all kinds of good for this game, their touch is seen everywhere and makes it that much more balanced, believable and attractive of a setting.

Haven't seen the scene you mention, is it from inside Lion's Arch proper during the evacuation?

ballsy move to go for a pure buy to play model in China. There's a font of subscription/timecard money in the Asian market and I'm stunned NCSoft didn't just put the hammer down toward restructuring the game to accomodate. If they pull this off well they will be untouchable worldwide for years to come.

Yep, they're aiming for a niche that is entirely empty right now and making a bet that there ARE people in China willing to pay for a game that feels fuller than the rest. ArenaNet going for the ballsy, revolutionary strategy rather than following the leader is pretty much their thing. :) Worst case scenario, I don't think the localization, publishing and marketing costs will make a huge dent on their apparently pretty healthy profits.

Yeah, that's the thing I liked most. They focused more on the romantinc/sentimental side of it rather than the sexy/fanservicey side. Having an unusually high quota of female developers, designers and writers is working all kinds of good for this game, their touch is seen everywhere and makes it that much more balanced, believable and attractive of a setting.

Haven't seen the scene you mention, is it from inside Lion's Arch proper during the evacuation?

Yep, they're aiming for a niche that is entirely empty right now and making a bet that there ARE people in China willing to pay for a game that feels fuller than the rest. ArenaNet going for the ballsy, revolutionary strategy rather than following the leader is pretty much their thing. :) Worst case scenario, I don't think the localization, publishing and marketing costs will make a huge dent on their apparently pretty healthy profits.

You hear them talking about the cold, their pasts, Majory's family etc. Really quite nice. It occurs at the refugee camp in Lonars Pass, just south of the Priory, in the 15 minutes between rounds.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The scene in the Dead End recently even sort of hinted that Kas wants things to move a bit faster than Jory does. It really doesn't feel forced.

Also, omg Frostbite is getting so biiiiig

Lunar15

The scene in the Dead End recently even sort of hinted that Kas wants things to move a bit faster than Jory does. It really doesn't feel forced.

Also, omg Frostbite is getting so biiiiig

I hadn't noticed that frostbite is actually growing. Makes sense!

Ashodin

12841676423_3b87e86f48_h.jpg

swnny

It may sound a bit strange, but anyone knows how to apply for the chinese beta? I registered an account, but all I can find is an "activate" option and it asks for a beta key. Can't find anything about application..

Vyrance

Won't be on tonight guys, was out with some friends. However, I should hopefully be on for some of the missions tomorrow! Have fun!

Retro

March: Daily Sales in the Gem Store!
Each day in March we’re running special promotions in the Gem Store! You’ll get 31 chances to save big on different Gem Store items or pick up a popular item from the past! Each sale begins at 12:01 a.m. and ends at 11:59 p.m. Pacific Standard Time.

We’re starting things off at 12:01 a.m. on Saturday, March 1, with a 10% price reduction on Collection Expanders! Check the Promotions tab in the Gem Store every day in March to see your daily savings!

Worth noting that they show a picture of a Black Lion key, a collection expander and Kasmeer's staff.

Lunar15

One thing I will say: If they continue with this new Destiny's Edge, they do need to mix it up a bit. If they want to make them a "team", Braham and Rox seem very separated from Majory and Kasmeer, and they'll need to remedy that.

They are all great characters, but they don't really seem like a team quite yet.

Retro

One thing I will say: If they continue with this new Destiny's Edge, they do need to mix it up a bit. If they want to make them a "team", Braham and Rox seem very separated from Majory and Kasmeer, and they'll need to remedy that.

They are all great characters, but they don't really seem like a team quite yet.

If only there was some huge, dramatic event in which they were all involved, that might really create a strong bond between them.
JUWnj.gif

Not being a dick, just saying; that's probably what's going to happen after this update.

Lunar15

If only there was some huge, dramatic event in which they were all involved, that might really create a strong bond between them.
JUWnj.gif

Not being a dick, just saying; that's probably what's going to happen after this update.

That's what I hope!

Although, they might be split up. They've tended to be scattered and in their respective "pairs", with Taimi being the odd one out.

danthefan

Just started playing this recently, up to lv 12 now, I'm a Charr Guardian. The starting area for the Charr seems absolutely devoid of other people, haven't been able to do a single group event thingy yet, would often play for half an hour before seeing anyone else. Is this normal, I assume there'll be more people at higher levels?

Just started playing this recently, up to lv 12 now, I'm a Charr Guardian. The starting area for the Charr seems absolutely devoid of other people, haven't been able to do a single group event thingy yet, would often play for half an hour before seeing anyone else. Is this normal, I assume there'll be more people at higher levels?

Thank anet for that, most gamers leveling an alt is in Queensdale(human starter area) 6 months ago they made some changes that ruin the leveling process of the game, so most areas are DEAD because everyone killing the same 5-6 bosses over and over and over..they need to nerf that stupid queensdale train..

danthefan

Thank anet for that, most gamers leveling an alt is in Queensdale(human starter area) 6 months ago they made some changes that ruin the leveling process of the game, so most areas are DEAD because everyone killing the same 5-6 bosses over and over and over..they need to nerf that stupid queensdale train..

Ok thanks, should I go there or just keep on doing what I'm doing?

Shiokazu

dont go there, it'll ruin the game for you.

i recomend you explore the area. fully, make 100% map completion of the starter zone, then move towards the next zone. if you have a leveling gap between the zones, make a your story instance ( the green star thingy ).

but avoid at all costs the queensdale champion train. it wont teach you anything about the game, it wont give you any insight on your abilities, and im being serious now, it will ruin the game for you. so hard you will want to quit.

guild wars is NOT about go repeating a route and killing mobs, its about discovery, exploration, experimentation and freedom. stay away from formulae, stay away from optimal stuff. discover the stuff yourself! if you ever need help, the guild will be there for you. ok?

and dont be shy to ask for help in guild chat. if you feel you wont be able to accomplish a certain task, look for friends, in the guild chat, or in the map chat. sometimes you're not really alone in the area, type /map and ask for help, if someone answers, give your coordinates and achieve your goal.

Retro

To more or less echo what Shio said, the Queensdale train is the antithesis of what makes Guild Wars 2 worth playing. In place of exploration, challenge and an informal "Hey, we're both here, let's do this thing together" sense of camaraderie, you just run circles around the same low level map in a swarm, killing the same five Champions over and over again with a group that is often openly hostile to players who 'steal their kills' or 'go out of order'. It is essentially a small group of people creating a mindless, repetitive grind in a game that has tried very hard to make mindless, repetitive grinds a thing of the past, literally seeking out the path of least resistance for optimized loot but at the expense of anything resembling enjoyment. Which says a lot about the mentality of the people who engage in that activity, I think.

Trey

To more or less echo what Shio said, the Queensdale train is the antithesis of what makes Guild Wars 2 worth playing. In place of exploration, challenge and an informal "Hey, we're both here, let's do this thing together" sense of camaraderie, you just run circles around the same low level map in a swarm, killing the same five Champions over and over again with a group that is often openly hostile to players who 'steal their kills' or 'go out of order'. It is essentially a small group of people creating a mindless, repetitive grind in a game that has tried very hard to make mindless, repetitive grinds a thing of the past, literally seeking out the path of least resistance for optimized loot but at the expense of anything resembling enjoyment. Which says a lot about the mentality of the people who engage in that activity, I think.

Can't really hate them too much. That's how they get enjoyment out of the game. Anet should make champions more roamy and difficult to optimize.

Retro

Can't really hate them too much. That's how they get enjoyment out of the game. Anet should make champions more roamy and difficult to optimize.

It would be easier to tolerate them if they were A.) on a higher level map where new players aren't given the wrong impression of the game by their behavior and B.) less obnoxious in map chat, especially towards players who aren't doing anything wrong.

I would kill the Queensdale train by adding 20mins respawn time to all the champs..

Drop them down to Elites, champions are maybe a little too tough for a starter zone anyways. But for other zones, adding longer respawn times or pre-events that have to be done before they spawn would help. Trey's suggestion would also help, so that people who stumble upon a roaming champion get the reward while people who try to farm it are constantly stymied by having to search for them.

Basically, make it inefficient to the point that they just go somewhere else. I kinda miss the days when those folks would just stay in CoF1 all day and never bother anybody.

Shiokazu

best solution IMO would be putting summoning mechanics, like metas.

i mean, spider only coming out during the night, and wandering in stealth. others having a questline to start.

dropping them from elite is a gorgerous idea, and, putting long timers would be nice too.

but the best solution, to me is still putting summoning mechanics.

Hedge

So here's what I've put together for my norn guardian. I'm having trouble with finding any good leggings and boots, but I'm otherwise pretty happy with her.
brunarmor_zps28072bc6.jpg

Then I have Lanius with mostly Named armor skin. Very similar setup to my female human mesmer. Light Named armor looks really good on both sexes without using the usual skimpy miniskirt and frilly top for female characters.

What is the name of the blue/green colour you're using on your draconic leggings? It looks wonderful.

Mxrz

Had an Ascended armor box drop today from rank rewards. But its Settlers. D'oh. Can't think of any builds that'd really make use of it. Maybe a necro? Mesmer?

Had an Ascended armor box drop today from rank rewards. But its Settlers. D'oh. Can't think of any builds that'd really make use of it. Maybe a necro? Mesmer?
Decent for a sword warrior with shouts and healing signet. They mostly need CD, heal power, and toughness.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Pah. Against all odds I got another bluescreen on waking up this morning. My system is still much better off than last week (haven't had one since, and am typing this on it) but it was definitely the same error code as before I thought I'd fixed things, so I'm not out of the woods. Cannot believe my luck with this.

Looks like I could probably make it to missions, I'm not constantly crashing or anything, but I've honestly spent the entire day just glued to my computer desk troubleshooting from various angles. Kind of feel like getting out to eat and just get out of the house and I didn't notice until coming online to make this post how close it was to time. I might still make it but my apologies to all if I don't.

Proven

Pah. Against all odds I got another bluescreen on waking up this morning. My system is still much better off than last week (haven't had one since, and am typing this on it) but it was definitely the same error code as before I thought I'd fixed things, so I'm not out of the woods. Cannot believe my luck with this.

Looks like I could probably make it to missions, I'm not constantly crashing or anything, but I've honestly spent the entire day just glued to my computer desk troubleshooting from various angles. Kind of feel like getting out to eat and just get out of the house and I didn't notice until coming online to make this post how close it was to time. I might still make it but my apologies to all if I don't.

Oh yeah, did we ever get enough gold in the bank for that guy to transfer off EU last week?

Shiokazu

damn college papers.

i dont really know if i'll be able to attend next weekend either.

also, hope you get your pc back to health hawk.

Retro

Congrats to Miktar on winning the jackpot and newcomer Jacob Caj (aka "Arken's Friend") on the 10g door prize AND a special gift from Anno: a Lovestruck or Jade Dragon weapon skin of his choice.

Missions went very well despite DH more or less cocking the Guild Puzzle up by rushing in and being somewhat contentious, but lesson learned. Makeups will be tomorrow at 3PM EST.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Oh yeah, did we ever get enough gold in the bank for that guy to transfer off EU last week?
We have enough, and I sent Lashley and in game mail, but I haven't heard back need. I need to do the exchange at sometime he's online at the same time as me (or another officer).

Real quick, I need to express that I'm disappointed in a lot of what I saw and heard about our puzzle with DH tonight. I understand that it was confusing to participate and many people feel that we run the puzzle more efficiently in total than they do. That's fine, but I didn't see a whole lot of Remembering the Human going on.

Different guilds do things different ways, and though it was a rushed start (the puzzle had opened by the time I actually made it to the waypoint), it was their start, and they get to run the show. I am confident that we should be, and would be, afforded the same ability were it "our run" (and also simply confirmed this with representatives of their guild by the end of it). But whatever occurs, the most important thing you can bring to the table during any event that involves ~100 players or more is patience.

I had numerous people PMing me throughout this event to express their feelings, from unhappiness with how DH was going about it, to concerns from them about our people running too far forward, to offers of help from them in case anyone on our end had been left behind, to admonishment about not being able to control my own guild, to concern from our own members about the attitudes being expressed on mumble. I am not exaggerating or using the number as a stand-in for "a bunch" when I say that I had 10 /whisper conversations going on during the chaos of trying to get everyone through, and while I appreciate talking things over rather than letting them fester, I completely stopped paying attention to the puzzle (and missed out on the first completion of the final room), and several of these conversations carried on into our rush.

In hindsight, when I saw the door had been opened before I even reached the puzzle I should have pulled all of GAF off entirely, let them run it and moved us on to rush first. I take responsibility for not doing that. But most disturbing to me is the confluence of attitudes regarding people doing things differently than we do, and thus being inferior and wasting our time when we could have done things our way.

Once we're already in it, I don't care who has the best way, I just want everyone to be patient and cooperate, because that's the approach that leads to the least amount of stress. I don't play this game to get stressed out.

Retro

I understand that it was confusing to participate and many people feel that we run the puzzle more efficiently in total than they do. That's fine, but I didn't see a whole lot of Remembering the Human going on.

To be fair, there wasn't a lot of that coming from DH either; several off-color comments (reported) and statements in /say which basically amounted to "Go away" or "You're doing it wrong", but then never bothering to explain what they were doing.

Since you weren't there at the beginning, you may have missed that several GAFers were trying to talk to DH before we started, asking if they were ready to go, if they needed time to get their members gathered (DH, as you'll recall, is notorious for sitting at Mission starts and needing like 15 minutes to review everything) and if there was a problem if GAF tagged along. This was met with no response; they literally slammed the start button as quickly as possible with nary a moment of concern (which is a shame because in the past we've done puzzles with other guilds very successfully when they are willing to communicate.) I think we can afford GAF a little room to vent their frustration at basically being outright ignored, regardless of who started it first. Most of us were there and ready to go, so it could have just as easily been us starting it except, you know, we were considerate. We've never started a mission without asking people nearby if they're waiting to get started, even when it's literally two people from the same guild. I suppose it's too much to expect others to behave the same way.

concerns from them about our people running too far forward

Funny, because you and I were at the back end making sure people made it through, and it was our Mesmers standing at the ready to port people up after their clusterfuck of an icicle room attempt, reviving people who fell in the large frozen ship area and our people standing patiently at the torch room waiting for them to catch up. Some DH was there, but the point is that GAF was waiting because A.) this is hardly our first rodeo and B.) we don't need a Youtube review ever week to know where the bear shits in the woods.

concern from our own members about the attitudes being expressed on mumble.

That's a surprise; nothing was said in mumble that wasn't basically said in guild chat, and in neither place was anything said that I think was out of line considering the comments coming from DH. Maybe I missed an off-color slur or something? It was mostly just astonishment at their attitude and 'strategy', which they accused us of not knowing without ever saying. Guess I'll log out, hit up Youtube and L2P the DH way.

I wasn't on mumble, so I can't speak for that, but I didn't see or hear anything problematic at all in our guild chat or even really in /say. All I personally heard in /say was someone from DH telling GAF something along the lines of "you're doing it wrong", but I didn't sense any malice behind it. I did laugh a bit in guild chat at their struggle in the icicle room, because it was so disorganized - as if they weren't talking to each other on their own mumble or guild chat. I don't know if they were or not. But I never saw anyone from GAF giving them any beef, or obstructing in any way.

I stayed near the front of the group, and never once did I see GAF go ahead of DH, or start anything ahead of them. DH had a group well ahead of us that was doing things by the time I got there with most of the people up front. So I'm not sure where a lot of this is coming from.

Sorry for missing guild events, dinner ran much later then the wife and I expected. Tomorrow is the Austin Kite Festival, so i'm not sure what time I will be back from that, may miss the makeups tomorrow.

I just want to say, that I got whispered but it is from a DH guy that is on my friends list and we always joke around so I was just messing with him and he was doing the same thing. He whispered and said "Your guild is making this difficult." then I mentioned it in Mumble. It didn't go past that.

Retro

I stayed near the front of the group, and never once did I see GAF go ahead of DH, or start anything ahead of them. DH had a group well ahead of us that was doing things by the time I got there with most of the people up front. So I'm not sure where a lot of this is coming from.

I think DH is a very slow, methodical guild that basically panic shit themselves at the prospect of someone not doing it the way their videos show it's meant to be done. At one point I joked that we should just finish the puzzle and let them sort it out, but I ended up bringing up the rear until the ship jumping section when I moved ahead while everyone caught up.

It looked like a handful of DH was already going through the ice wall section, with a bunch of GAFers either waiting by the barrels or trying to follow along and getting pinched in behind them, at which point I manned the cannon to try and get them out. I think everyone waiting around at that point figured they were getting left behind, not entirely aware there was more DH behind them. DH's lack of communication and their attitude made it feel like they didn't care whether GAF made it or not, so I can't blame people for feeling like they were being left stranded at that crucial point and wanting to keep up.

Lesson Learned: Don't do Co-op Missions with DH. Everyone else on the server seems to at least acknowledge the benefit of working together and communicating. At one point Kos whispered me something along the lines of "They must think we're telepathic" because map chat was dead and /say was just "YOU R DOIN IT RONG"-type commentary.

/shrug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom