• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.
After playing here for a couple weeks here are my thoughts:

Pros:
  • I really enjoy the dynamic questing system and world events. While I have no problems with WoW's system either, I just find GW2's to be more engaging.
  • I am pleased that content remains more or less relevant at all levels. One of my biggest complaints about WoW is that even though they are constantly releasing new content the world is getting smaller and smaller as vast swaths of the game become irrelevant and deserted.
  • The crafting system in general is far more dynamic and engaging outside of a couple flaws that I will go into later.
  • I like that you have a limited number of skills at any one time. The sheer number of abilities in WoW are a bit absurd.
  • Love the personal story questing. Very nice addition.
  • Like that mob tagging doesn't exist in this game.
  • I also like that gathering is individualized so I don't have to compete with others.
Cons:
  • WvW is terrible, awful, and bad. The worst part is that it could be amazing, but they choose not to make it that way.
  • Gearing seems pointless. Having to replace gear over time makes sense in a game where leveling and zones are linear and do not scale. However, when I scale to the level of where I am playing I just find the constant need to replace gear kind of stupid.
  • Cooking (That is all)
  • No one shows up for group events outside of starting zones which takes away one of the big advantages of the questing system. Maybe this changes at high levels though.
  • Zones that I have experiences thus far are all kid of boring and samey.
  • Trains are stupid and the spawn times on events should be randomized to make them impossible. Tell me "then don't do them" all you want, but I am a lover of efficiency.... and it is by far the most efficient way to level. Incentivizing not actually playing the game is poor design.

Things I am unsure of one way or the other:
  • Different abilities based on the weapon I hold. It seems kind of arbitrary and stupid.... I don't get why it exists or why it makes the game better. That said it isn't really bad, just perplexing.
  • Crafting, while engaging, is pointless. There should be some advantage to making your own stuff rather that buying it on trading post. A slight stat buff or something (WoW is worse though)
  • What I have tried of PvP thus far was awful. WvW is awful. The UI for trying to get into other pvp matches was designed by a 5 year old. Leaving pvp in this category though because it has some great ideas and maybe I will adjust.
  • I am a healer at heart, and I miss it.

Ashodin

Reposting for next page:

dACvNoJ.png

Trey

After playing here for a couple weeks here are my thoughts
Healing: Red bar pushing is pretty removed from Gw2, the closest thing being a dedicated ele healer or guardian.

WvW: I have no idea what you've done in wvw, but it often requires a level 80 character to be more than rally bait. Come back to it later and don't forget to log into he server vent channel and follow commanders or for a raiding party.

Crafting: It has a use in making runes, sigils, boxes, and ascended equipment (since you can't buy it on the tp).

Weapon abilities:Different abilities on different weapons means more options that are strait forward to decide on. Great sword plays a lot differently than an axe.

Boring zones: Get out of kryta. You're welcome.

Trains: Reset trains for world events are around for upper levels, and sometimes you get trains through the top end area, but it's less regular.

Group events outside starting areas: mid level areas are deserted, which means you aren't likely to see anyone rushing to group events in those zones. It's a symptom of a problem already getting worked on.

Bug Fixes:
  • Fixed a bug that prevented players from receiving loot from the Assault Knights. A reward chest will now be awarded after all three Assault Knight events have finished, and will be given to the corresponding participants even if only one Assault Knight was defeated.
  • To encourage players to split up, the boon from the associated Attunement Pool will now be required in order to damage each Assault Knight, and only 50 players can have the attunement for each color simultaneously.
  • Fixed a server crash during the Prime Hologram encounter.
  • Fixed an issue in which the Synergetic Assault Knight could be pulled into the water.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/info/updates/Game-Update-Notes-March-4-2014

Well now. Anet really pushing for once to anti-zerg. I'm impressed.

There are two things I've been musing over, that I think need fixing: a) how to better communicate to players when pure damage is better, or when condition damage is better. Or in the case of the Knights, when you don't want to be doing condi at all, and when you do. Because right now, players don't get it. I was watching the last fight, hanging around the outer rim, and reviving people who kill themselves using reflected condi damage. They get up, and then go right back to doing it again. Ressed one person five times.

The second thing, is I think GW2 should adopt the 'AoE marker fills in to indicate timing' thing from WildStar. Yes, it's kind of lame and hand-holdy in a game that already holds people's hands quite a bit, but over a year later and people STILL can't get out of the fire, or know when to dodge? Stuff needs to happen.

Healing: Red bar pushing is pretty removed from Gw2, the closest thing being a dedicated ele healer or guardian.

WvW: I have no idea what you've done in wvw, but it often requires a level 80 character to be more than rally bait. Come back to it later and don't forget to log into he server vent channel and follow commanders or for a raiding party.

Crafting: It has a use in making runes, sigils, boxes, and ascended equipment (since you can't buy it on the tp).

Weapon abilities:Different abilities on different weapons means more options that are strait forward to decide on. Great sword plays a lot differently than an axe.

Boring zones: Get out of kryta. You're welcome.

Trains: Reset trains for world events are around for upper levels, and sometimes you get trains through the top end area, but it's less regular.

Group events outside starting areas: mid level areas are deserted, which means you aren't likely to see anyone rushing to group events in those zones. It's a symptom of a problem already getting worked on.
I like winning. 95% of the time the winner in WvW is determined the moment realms are matched. This is simply poor design. I will take your advice and come back at 80.

Is there an advantage to making runes/sigils rather than just buying em?

I don't see why the abilities should be tied to weapons. Why not just let us choose?

Will try to get out of Kryta.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Any tips on Nowhere to Hide. Since I'm a Guardian I can simply press 3 to bypass the smaller circles, but I'm stumped during the big orange circle. Apparently you have to wait a bit before dodging?

Trey

I like winning. 95% of the time the winner in WvW is determined the moment realms are matched. This is simply poor design. I will take your advice and come back at 80.

Is there an advantage to making runes/sigils rather than just buying em?

I don't see why the abilities should be tied to weapons. Why not just let us choose?

Will try to get out of Kryta.

Easier said then done.

You save a marginal bit of money. No big advantage to making it on your own.

Easier to balance. Like someone said earlier (either Retro or Hawk), it makes you play with skill, not play the skills. Anet specifically wanted to avoid what they ran across with the original Guild Wars where there were a whole bunch of skills but most of them were redundant.

I personally like Kryra. Gendarran Fields, Hirathi Hinterlands. good stuff.

What a time for a fix when many on east coast is heading to bed sheeesh and that fix just fucked us over in WvW, we were taking IOJ keep in EB and we had it almost done, sheeesh you couldn't wait until 3am to add this fix?

Ashodin

Here I go reading a post of a new player and then you go and ruin the feeling of responding with your need to show off your character. Almost as bad as Kos.

Oh man, I was just trying to post something cool.

People were posting pictures of their characters and I wanted to post something that I'd been working hard on for over a year.

Anyway, loving the update changes towards anti-zerg. ANet really doesn't doesn't want zerging to be the best tactic.

Proven

@Wafflecakes There is no real advantage to crafting anything in this game. Most things that come from crafting are either in the "can buy/sell on the trading post" category or the "have to craft myself because it becomes account bound" category. While there are ways for crafters to make money, it's less about crafters and more about gatherers who get materials and then make money by not having to buy them off the trading post either. There are a lot of people that hate this. I'm not one of them though.

Oh man, I was just trying to post something cool.

People were posting pictures of their characters and I wanted to post something that I'd been working hard on for over a year.

Anyway, loving the update changes towards anti-zerg. ANet really doesn't doesn't want zerging to be the best tactic.

I'm not mad or anything. It's just jarring.

Retro

After playing here for a couple weeks here are my thoughts:
  • WvW is terrible, awful, and bad. The worst part is that it could be amazing, but they choose not to make it that way.

You came in at an odd point; SBI is on the decline for the second time since launch. Originally SBI was one of the best servers in the game, but frequent harassment (especially racial harassment directed at Korean players who represented the majority of our overnight coverage) and the underhanded politics / spying / glitching just proved too annoying for the community at large and a lot of people just stopped playing. SBI started to slip, but once they announced free server transfers were ending, everyone was suddenly pressured to pick a server "for real" and there was more or less an exodus from the server which lead to SBI falling to the middle tiers.

At some point, a few SBI players tried to recruit players to the server, and for a time they were relatively successful in getting 'good fight' WvWers (i.e. people who don't care about the points, but just want to run around killing people). This made headway for the people who did care about points, so SBI rebounded slightly in time for the first WvW season. We did fairly well (placing third in silver league after some Yak's Bend shenanigans bumped us completely out of second place), but interest waned (Personally, I attribute a large part of this to the attitude of specific commanders who were more than happy to rant and rave publicly about how terrible everyone around them was).

The final nail in the coffin, more or less, was the release of Edge of the Mists; it's a nice place for the 'good fights' crew, it has a lower population and a map layout that disincentivizes zergs, and doesn't have the server vs. server politics / bullshit. It has all the benefits of WvW with almost none of the negatives, so it's no surprise that most people have gone there and abandoned WvW with the exception of the top tier servers who, for them, WvW is all they care about.

Whew. That said, WvW is always in a state of flux (it's much different from where it started, even the maps have changed in some pretty big ways), and EotM is designed to test new WvW concepts quickly so they can be put into WvW proper.

So... the short version is, you started playing at the worst possible time to see what WvW is really like, at least on SBI.

As to the rest of your points;

Gearing seems pointless. Having to replace gear over time makes sense in a game where leveling and zones are linear and do not scale. However, when I scale to the level of where I am playing I just find the constant need to replace gear kind of stupid.
That's kind of the point of GW2; once you're geared at max level, you're done. Players (and gear) scale down, but only scale up in WvW and Living Story areas. This will stop being an issue once you reach 80. A good rule of thumb is to just replace your gear if you're more than 8 levels higher than your gear.

Cooking (That is all)
Cooking was intended as a more complex crafting system, because it actually sticks pretty closely to real-world cooking principles. It can be really confusing at first, but it does work as advertised. If you just want to power level it, I'd go here; http://gw2crafts.net/

No one shows up for group events outside of starting zones which takes away one of the big advantages of the questing system. Maybe this changes at high levels though.
This is more of an "MMO Problem" than a "GW2 Problem": players all rush to where the content is new and optimally rewarding, so the lower level zones are more or less left for new players and alts, at least when they aren't involved in the Living Story. It's definitely something you will see less and less at max level.

Zones that I have experiences thus far are all kid of boring and samey.
Try a different zone at or around your level. I found some zones (Brisban, most of the Norn areas) to be kind of boring, while the lower Shiverpeaks (Lornar's Pass, Timberline Falls, etc.) and Ascalon are my absolute favorite. Unless you're going for a Legendary, there's no reason to go for 100% world completion, so play where you like.

Trains are stupid and the spawn times on events should be randomized to make them impossible. Tell me "then don't do them" all you want, but I am a lover of efficiency.... and it is by far the most efficient way to level. Incentivizing not actually playing the game is poor design.

They're not the most efficient way to level (that would be power-leveling via crafting, which can kick you to 80 in a matter of hours). I'm not even sure they're the most efficient way to get loot (at least, the Queensdale one isn't, the Frostgorge train seems both faster and more rewarding). The trains are easy.

And their days are numbered.

Different abilities based on the weapon I hold. It seems kind of arbitrary and stupid.... I don't get why it exists or why it makes the game better. That said it isn't really bad, just perplexing.
You mentioned that you "like that you have a limited number of skills at any one time.", but this is a part of that system; by tying skills to specific weapons, weapons become a sort of 'sub-class' where all the skills you need for a task are built in. For example, a Warrior can toss on a shield and become much more defensive, not because he has higher stats from the shield, but because he can stun enemies and block attacks.

Your weapon-based abilities are there to provide you with a specific set of tools; when the situation demands a different approach, use a different weapon. Since there's no weapon proficiency levels to raise and maintaining a full set of gear isn't terribly expensive, there's no reason not to carry one of every weapon you can equip. Don't think of weapons as a variety of hammers for hitting things, think of them as a collection of tools to use as the situation demands.

Crafting, while engaging, is pointless. There should be some advantage to making your own stuff rather that buying it on trading post. A slight stat buff or something (WoW is worse though)
This is sort of the reason Ascended gear was added; it gave crafting value and a way to generate money that it was severely lacking before. That said, you'll get no argument from me that crafting needs an overhaul.

I am a healer at heart, and I miss it.
Shout Warrior, Water Ele, Symbol Guardian, Bomb/Elixir Gun Engineer are all strong 'support' builds, but if you're looking to be the guy standing at the back of the group spamming abilities to keep people topped off, that's never going to happen in this game (it's pretty much one of the first big distinctions they made when the game was first being revealed; no trinity).​

Retro

Yeah, treating GW2 as a standard MMORPG is a wrong viewpoint.

Normally, I'd disagree with the "you're playing it wrong" statement, but that's pretty true, honestly. Trying to play GW2 like any other MMO is missing the point, and trying to shoehorn that into the game is an uphill battle (especially since the devs are so keen on shutting that kind of crap down).

Normally, I'd disagree with the "you're playing it wrong" statement, but that's pretty true, honestly. Trying to play GW2 like any other MMO is missing the point, and trying to shoehorn that into the game is an uphill battle (especially since the devs are so keen on shutting that kind of crap down).

Not to be too negative, but this always seems like an excuse people trot out to cover up bad parts of the game.

If you don't want your crafting system to be compared to those in other MMO's you shouldn't have put in an MMO style crafting system. Same goes for pvp, skills, etc.

Really most of the game is relatively generic MMO except the way progression is handled.This is not a bad thing, but some things are just poorly designed and need fixed and it has nothing to do with them being "shoehorned".

Trey

Not to be too negative, but this always seems like an excuse people trot out to cover up bad parts of the game.

In so few words, Retro is just trying to suggest that you look at GW2 from another angle. Don't fully embrace it with a conventional mindset.

I can agree on a lot of your bad objectively but when it comes to something like the weapon and skill system, there's a method to its implementation that defies what most MMOs do.

Put five blind people in a room with an elephant, let them explode the room and the animal, and you'll have five different animals described to you.

It's often easy to look at something and say "generic MMO", because that's the shape you're superimposing over it. But you're not really seeing what's there, because preconceptions colour our experiences. That's why having a "Beginner's Mind" is important, and admittedly, difficult to maintain, especially when we exist in a culture that takes pride, and places much emphasis on, having "learned a thing and now we're done". Play a lot of games, and one can be lulled into the false complacency that one has a fundamental understanding of things, that one can easily spot the "truth" of a matter. When in reality... that's rarely the case.

Lunar15

It's like if someone went into "There Will Be Blood", thinking there would be tons of violence, and then when there wasn't they were totally disappointed in what was an otherwise awesome movie. (this is a true story that happened to my friend)

I actually agree with most of your points, a lot of them actually ARE remedied by not looking at this like a traditional MMO. As someone who hates MMO's with a passion, this was pretty easy for me.

I'll still never like leveling in an MMO, and I'm glad EQN is removing it. It doesn't make sense. Anet's "solutions", such as scaling levels for all zones, while a step in the right direction, doesn't actually feel satisfying. To me, the game opened up at 80. Once I hit 80, I enjoyed the game so much that I played it for nearly a year and a half straight. Only recently did I get slightly bored (more my fault, I only played two classes), but some of the wonkiness did catch up to me and I found a way out.

It's like if someone went into "There Will Be Blood", thinking there would be tons of violence, and then when there wasn't they were totally disappointed in what was an otherwise awesome movie. (this is a true story that happened to my friend)

I actually agree with most of your points, a lot of them actually ARE remedied by not looking at this like a traditional MMO. As someone who hates MMO's with a passion, this was pretty easy for me.

I'll still never like leveling in an MMO, and I'm glad EQN is removing it. It doesn't make sense. Anet's "solutions", such as scaling levels for all zones, while a step in the right direction, doesn't actually feel satisfying. To me, the game opened up at 80. Once I hit 80, I enjoyed the game so much that I played it for nearly a year and a half straight. Only recently did I get slightly bored (more my fault, I only played two classes), but some of the wonkiness did catch up to me and I found a way out.
I am thinking I will just to race to 80 and try things out again at that point.

Lunar15

I will say, despite my problems with the game, nearly 90% of my enjoyment came out of GAF Guild. That's not some sappy hug-fest comment: It's true, this game is fantastic when played with a big group, because it opens up so much of the content to you. Guild Missions are probably some of the best things I've ever done in an online game ever.

Plus it was always nice to have a solid group of people there to run dungeons and fractals with. I feel like this game shines when it comes to dungeons, and fractals are one of the best ideas they ever had. Be sure to check out all the dungeons, including fractals, when you get a chance. So much fun to be had there, and you'll get why the game is about having different gear builds available to you.

Plus, while the game's areas are dead, Anet's done a great job at using them for all of their new living story events. A lot of them have been pretty sweet, despite writing that's worse than most recent M. Night Shaymalan films.

Lunar15

Also, sorry to double post but:

Ursa in Beta (or early release, can't really tell)

iMTfLKTLaGyhj.png

Ursa Now:

ibsLLqy78AuzH1.png

It's amazing what a new wardrobe, hair-do, and sweetFX can do for you.

Proven

I've been ignoring this thread but now that I think about some of the other CDI thread summaries I've seen and been horrified with, I feel like I should speak up. But the thing about Ranger is that I don't know what to say.

First, Ranger is the class I've put the third least amount of time into. So there isn't a lot I can say about high level play. Next, from what I've been able to glean about the Ranger, it really asks for a different type of playstyle than all the other classes. It's way more of a reactive class than anything else in the game. They're always using skills to either buff themselves up to become a Goliath to your David, or constantly counter what you're trying to do while staying just out of reach. Some complain about passive play but when I've played a Ranger it always felt like I was waiting for just the right moment to use an evasion skill or time an interrupt until I could go in for the kill. With Ranger it's like I can already start the fight with the advantage; I just have to not screw up. Third, having a pet ties into that feeling of starting off better than the rest, and managing pets can be quite rewarding once you get the hang of some of the quirks.

I guess if anything I'd like to see the shouts changed as a lot of them feel like functionality I should just plain have to start out with. But Rangers aren't the only class that has problems with utility skills. There's also a lot of trait problems, but Rangers aren't the only ones that need a major trait retooling. It's frustrating that I don't know enough about the class to offer suggestions for every single skill and trait line and it feels like any suggestion I could give would be a band aid suggestion when there's the option of changing everything. At the same time, I'm mostly happy with the state of the Ranger and just wish things went a bit further in design...

The number one thing I want to change (second would be doing something about pet controls vs. shouts) would be how the Opening Strike traits worked. Resetting on a kill or some other method should be a base option, or at least an earlier trait one. Remorseless is a cool idea but there's only one stealth skill that the Ranger has for themselves (and one stealth trait). It's frustrating to see a Grandmaster trait that only works with a single skill on a single weapon. Unless they want to add another stealth skill (scary) there needs to be some other combo that can be made. Otherwise Remorseless could boost your damage further when attacking with Opening Strike.

Also, this has been bugging my sense of symmetry, but I always wished Rangers had base vitality equal to Warriors and Necromancers. They always felt like they should be a bit more tankier too.

Retro

If you don't want your crafting system to be compared to those in other MMO's you shouldn't have put in an MMO style crafting system. Same goes for pvp, skills, etc.

Really most of the game is relatively generic MMO except the way progression is handled.This is not a bad thing, but some things are just poorly designed and need fixed and it has nothing to do with them being "shoehorned".

That's why I said "normally, I'd disagree...", because that usually is a cop out; "Oh, it's not that the game is bad, you just don't get it." As others have said, I'm suggesting that you don't look at GW2 as a traditional MMO, because trying to do so is just coming at it with the wrong mentality. The only thing worst than that is trying to force to GW2 to play like it's a traditional MMO; 'shoehorning' that kind of experience in where it just doesn't belong is only going to be met with frustration (especially since the devs just love to shut down crap like farmers and zergs, which is why I said the champ train's days are numbered).

There are a lot of things (Levels, Renown hearts) that are only there because early testing revealed (surprise!) MMO players couldn't shake the MMO Mentality and just play for fun, for the sake of playing the game. There were NPCs shouting "Come help me, there are monsters attacking my village" and they'd ignore them. When asked why, they said it was because the NPC didn't have a giant glowing exclamation point over their head so they treated them like decoration. So stuff was added to make traditional MMO players feel at homw, and now the opposite happens; players come in and see the trappings of an MMO but it is, as you're starting to notice, a very very different beast altogether.

And that's exactly why a lot of us love it; there's half a dozen Diku clones out there to play already, the world didn't need another one (and it's getting more of them anyways, like ESO and Wildstar). Most of us have played those games and hated it, and wanted something Massive, Multiplayer and Online, but without all the garbage that the genre is known for. So, you have to sort of 'unlearn' other MMOs first, not because they're bad games or GW2 is a better game, but because it's a different game.

See, here's a perfect example. This is the worst thing you can do, and probably the single biggest reason people stop playing the game; they assumed it was like every other MMO, and the leveling process was just padding before you hit max level and the "Endgame" starts.

Getting to 80 doesn't change Guild Wars 2. At all. Not even a tiny bit. It merely means there isn't anywhere in the game that is too high level for you and thus, all content is now open. You can wear the top end gear and never replace it (unless you want to change your build), do dungeons without worrying about your level, head to any zone and see what's there, etc.

The "Endgame" of GW2 is whatever you find fun, most of which you can do right now anyways. If you're treating it like the usual MMO, a list of things to check off until you can get to the 'real game' and get more things to check off, you're setting yourself up for disappointment. The best thing is to stop treating it like a job and just have fun. If you're not having fun, try a different mode, zone or profession. If you're still not having fun, you can stop playing and wait two weeks until something new is added that is.

Ashodin

Retro is right. The game needs to be approached as a game with MMO trappings, but an exploration and discovery feel to it.

Now to invite a mega post.

Retro, what was your thoughts on the Bazaar and arena net design as a whole and how it ties into the theme of taking the game at your own pace?

Jira

Retro is right. The game needs to be approached as a game with MMO trappings, but an exploration and discovery feel to it.

Now to invite a mega post.

Retro, what was your thoughts on the Bazaar and arena net design as a whole and how it ties into the theme of taking the game at your own pace?

I'm not Retro, but I thought the Bazaar was absolutely fantastic. The use of all of the movement skills for a scavenger hunt was just amazingly good fun all the way up to the last crystal. It's honestly one of my favorite updates the game has had and it completely shits on what people expect from an MMO when it's updated. There's too many pre-concieved notions as to what an MMO has to be, what their update schedule has to be, what those updates consist of, or what/if expansions have to be. Always expect the unexpected when it comes to ANet. As I've said before, GW2 is the only MMO that I have no clue as to what we'll get when an update rolls out and I absolutely love it.

Atrophis

I will personally be amazed if they ever release a new class via a LS update. I don't see it ever happening myself or if it did they would surely charge gems to access it?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
oh god yes I finally did it

Now I have 13/15. I'll just do daily related achievements since I doubt I can finish hologram, find a zerg that can kill knights within 6 mins, and find a glitchless cannoneer.

i'm at 14/15 myself. todays daily should do it for me. Also, turns out i'm only like 45 points from my 4500 achievement chest. Coolness.

Question about the new limits on the assault knights, if only 50 can have the damage buff at once, and there are three bosses, doesn't that mean only 150 can do the event at once? Whats the zone cap for the event itself?

We don't know exact cap numbers but based on that 50 we can probably assume it's at least 150. I would think it's more like 200 just so they can account for people afking or just running in LA doing other things.

Ceres

Banned
Don't necessarily race your first character to level 80. Do personal story, go through maps (but don't force yourself to 100% each zone since that gets boring), run dungeons you can access when someone brings it up on guild chat. Do the two crafting areas that actually benefits your current character and not just to get the 20 levels. You should naturally get to level 80 with no issues playing through the game. And if you need help, always feel free to ask since there's usually a few people who can join you. Worry about the quickest way to level your alts after that.

I will mention that people on SBI run a map group Monday nights. So you can do a zone with a small group of people doing events and completing the entire map if you don't want to feel like you're soloing everywhere. They're doing Fields of Ruin next. You can get more info at http://www.stormbluffisle.com/‎

You came in at an odd point; SBI is on the decline for the second time since launch. Originally SBI was one of the best servers in the game, but frequent harassment (especially racial harassment directed at Korean players who represented the majority of our overnight coverage) and the underhanded politics / spying / glitching just proved too annoying for the community at large and a lot of people just stopped playing. SBI started to slip, but once they announced free server transfers were ending, everyone was suddenly pressured to pick a server "for real" and there was more or less an exodus from the server which lead to SBI falling to the middle tiers.

At some point, a few SBI players tried to recruit players to the server, and for a time they were relatively successful in getting 'good fight' WvWers (i.e. people who don't care about the points, but just want to run around killing people). This made headway for the people who did care about points, so SBI rebounded slightly in time for the first WvW season. We did fairly well (placing third in silver league after some Yak's Bend shenanigans bumped us completely out of second place), but interest waned (Personally, I attribute a large part of this to the attitude of specific commanders who were more than happy to rant and rave publicly about how terrible everyone around them was).

The final nail in the coffin, more or less, was the release of Edge of the Mists; it's a nice place for the 'good fights' crew, it has a lower population and a map layout that disincentivizes zergs, and doesn't have the server vs. server politics / bullshit. It has all the benefits of WvW with almost none of the negatives, so it's no surprise that most people have gone there and abandoned WvW with the exception of the top tier servers who, for them, WvW is all they care about.

Whew. That said, WvW is always in a state of flux (it's much different from where it started, even the maps have changed in some pretty big ways), and EotM is designed to test new WvW concepts quickly so they can be put into WvW proper.

So... the short version is, you started playing at the worst possible time to see what WvW is really like, at least on SBI.

For WvW, I would recommend trying it reset night when its the most populous. Otherwise, look for Bannok on either EB or SBI BL during primetime and follow him. The DB zergs they've been facing are pretty bad so you can get some interesting fights where we are outnumbered but get wins. DB is basically out karma training from the hole they were hiding in now that Mag isn't in t3 anymore.
Or possibly try EotM (which I still have not done since it got released).

We're about where we were when I first started playing but at a higher tier because of the huge amount of stacking going on in the top 2 tiers. If you removed DB from the equation, both t3 and t4 are likely pretty even in numbers but the main issue is when each server logs in as it sounds like in t4 that IoJ, BP, and YB all have different times when their population dominates so the scores even out but their matchup isn't that great I heard if you want anything more than karma trains.

But yes, WvW on an upleveled is a bit of a pain. But if you gear for survivability, it can work. I recommend waiting until at least lvl 30 where you have everything unlocked for your skill bar. I've done plenty of leveling in WvW in the past. Necros are still pretty powerful at low levels with staff/wells/plague and I normally didn't have issues surviving unless we were facing really huge numbers.

Somewhat off topic but I have a second account I put on Piken Square a few months ago because I was getting annoyed with SBI/NA WvW in general and people have said the EU servers are quite different. Finally ended up going into WvW with my low level engineer.... The latency was so bad. I don't know how anyone plays effectively that way. PvE is fine but in WvW I just watched green dots and the commander in front of me jump around 10ft forward and backward the entire time. Eventually we encountered another big zerg and my connection just completely crapped out. Switched back to my regular account and no issues.

Atrophis

Playing on SBI from the UK is mostly fine. It’s totally manageable for running hammer trains in WvW and I very rarely get rubber banding issues.

When I watch people playing on servers in their own territories though I can definitely see it is more responsive for them.

Read up on the Prime Hologram fight. Made me glad I didn't take my Mesmer due to the way the buffs work, I'd kill myself with a Phantasm if it fell off at the wrong time.

I'm also annoyed with the UI. The first time I did it I kept getting knocked over and couldn't figure out why - the stack you get from attacking while not buffed needs to stick out more.

It also sucks that the best way to get one of the achievements on that fight is to AFK for the bulk of it. :-/

At least on my Thief, dual pistols seems to work best. Yeah, they seem to suck normally in nearly all cases - except, oddly, single target fights like this one.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Playing on SBI from the UK is mostly fine. It’s totally manageable for running hammer trains in WvW and I very rarely get rubber banding issues.

When I watch people playing on servers in their own territories though I can definitely see it is more responsive for them.

In Eternal battlegrounds. The fuck? Do you just play against low population servers because even in Europe, the skill lag during peak times is something else.

Don't necessarily race your first character to level 80. Do personal story, go through maps (but don't force yourself to 100% each zone since that gets boring), run dungeons you can access when someone brings it up on guild chat. Do the two crafting areas that actually benefits your current character and not just to get the 20 levels. You should naturally get to level 80 with no issues playing through the game. And if you need help, always feel free to ask since there's usually a few people who can join you. Worry about the quickest way to level your alts after that.

I will mention that people on SBI run a map group Monday nights. So you can do a zone with a small group of people doing events and completing the entire map if you don't want to feel like you're soloing everywhere. They're doing Fields of Ruin next. You can get more info at http://www.stormbluffisle.com/‎

For WvW, I would recommend trying it reset night when its the most populous. Otherwise, look for Bannok on either EB or SBI BL during primetime and follow him. The DB zergs they've been facing are pretty bad so you can get some interesting fights where we are outnumbered but get wins. DB is basically out karma training from the hole they were hiding in now that Mag isn't in t3 anymore.
Or possibly try EotM (which I still have not done since it got released).

We're about where we were when I first started playing but at a higher tier because of the huge amount of stacking going on in the top 2 tiers. If you removed DB from the equation, both t3 and t4 are likely pretty even in numbers but the main issue is when each server logs in as it sounds like in t4 that IoJ, BP, and YB all have different times when their population dominates so the scores even out but their matchup isn't that great I heard if you want anything more than karma trains.

But yes, WvW on an upleveled is a bit of a pain. But if you gear for survivability, it can work. I recommend waiting until at least lvl 30 where you have everything unlocked for your skill bar. I've done plenty of leveling in WvW in the past. Necros are still pretty powerful at low levels with staff/wells/plague and I normally didn't have issues surviving unless we were facing really huge numbers.

Somewhat off topic but I have a second account I put on Piken Square a few months ago because I was getting annoyed with SBI/NA WvW in general and people have said the EU servers are quite different. Finally ended up going into WvW with my low level engineer.... The latency was so bad. I don't know how anyone plays effectively that way. PvE is fine but in WvW I just watched green dots and the commander in front of me jump around 10ft forward and backward the entire time. Eventually we encountered another big zerg and my connection just completely crapped out. Switched back to my regular account and no issues.

WvW on upleveled character.... lol, there's a term for that from avid WvW'ers they're called rally bots. If you plan to use an uplevled in WvW do not fight in zergs, far more than being useless your actually a detriment to your world and are often the reason why they lose they're losing the fight since killing an extremely squishy you, allows the enemy to rally.

Scouting an escorting dolly's is fine but fighting in a zerg nope...

Atrophis

In the largest zerg fights, most of the time its just graphics lag. Skill lag is maybe 0.1 or 0.2 seconds on average but never usually more than 0.5 seconds at its worse. It helps to have 150 mbps connection I guess :p

Also my distance to the American servers could be less than your distance to the Euro servers depending on where they are all based.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
In the largest zerg fights, most of the time its just graphics lag. Skill lag is maybe 0.1 or 0.2 seconds on average but never usually more than 0.5 seconds at its worse. It helps to have 150 mbps connection I guess :p

Also my distance to the American servers could be less than your distance to the Euro servers depending on where they are all based.

Even then I highly doubt that, only on some seriously deserted servers would you not get a second of skil lag in the centre of SM. during a massive battle I may not have the best connection but it's it's still pretty good, and on the most popular servers fighting each other I've experienced 4 seconds of skill lag.

I simply highly doubt you'd get 0.1 under such circumstances. The lag effects your servers cap timing and it's on the server side, it's a well known issue and any experienced commander incorporates it in their tactics.

Atrophis

If I had 4 seconds of skill lag by default you think I would ever enter WvW? I'm not lying dude, its really not that bad. Shit, I'll record a video tonight after reset if you want proof (if I can stay awake).

The only time it was really bad was at the start of Season 1 when the populations got way higher than normal. I just didn't play then as it was too annoying to deal with.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
If I had 4 seconds of skill lag by default you think I would ever enter WvW? I'm not lying dude, its really not that bad. Shit, I'll record a video tonight after reset if you want proof (if I can stay awake).

The only time it was really bad was at the start of Season 1 when the populations got way higher than normal. I just didn't play then as it was too annoying to deal with.

No I'm not saying by default but I'm saying your 0.1 second skill seems suspect as hell unless your playing comparatively derserted servers. Borderlands are nothing even on the most popular servers during prime time you won't experience skill lag there, it's just I find such a little amount of skill lag in SM a bit unbelievable. It affects the freaking WvW tick timings, by several seconds,

Atrophis

Well I dont always run on EB. When I played a lot last year I would usually run with the zergs on SBI borderlands.

Yeah its really fucking bad at SM which is why I dont usually bother with SM fights. And when I said 0.1 - 0.2 in zerg fights I wasn't really talking about at SM, sorry for the confusion. Just general zerg balls hitting each other on borderlands or outside of SM on EB its totally playable.

EDIT: only just noticed you're not the guy I was originally responding to with my first comment lol

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Well I dont always run on EB. When I played a lot last year I would usually run with the zergs on SBI borderlands.

Yeah its really fucking bad at SM which is why I dont usually bother with SM fights. And when I said 0.1 - 0.2 in zerg fights I wasn't really talking about at SM, sorry for the confusion. Just general zerg balls hitting each other on borderlands or outside of SM on EB its totally playable.

Fair enough that I can understand. I was just shocked, SM lag is ridiculous, I just can't imagine anyone regardless how beef they're internet and pc is, fighting in that and experiencing minimal skill lag, when you can literally feel the servers being stretched way beyond there limits.

Atrophis

Yeah they should totally redesign SM. Make it have multiple points that all need to be held so the zergs get split up or something.

Read up on the Prime Hologram fight. Made me glad I didn't take my Mesmer due to the way the buffs work, I'd kill myself with a Phantasm if it fell off at the wrong time.

I'm also annoyed with the UI. The first time I did it I kept getting knocked over and couldn't figure out why - the stack you get from attacking while not buffed needs to stick out more.

It also sucks that the best way to get one of the achievements on that fight is to AFK for the bulk of it. :-/

At least on my Thief, dual pistols seems to work best. Yeah, they seem to suck normally in nearly all cases - except, oddly, single target fights like this one.

I've done it several times as a mesmer. I just remember to shatter the clones before my attunement buff years off. Not that most of them even last that long.

Ceres

Banned

World Transfer Changes

We are also making some significant changes to the way that world transfers work as part of the tournament. We’ll be setting prices for world transfers based on world rating rather than population. Our goal with this pricing structure is to incentivize transfers to worlds that are near the bottom of their respective tournament leagues and to disincentivize transfers to worlds at the top of their leagues. As part of that change, we will be implementing the following pricing for world transfers prior to and during the tournament:

lol. So basically expect BG to throw the first round?
blah. just realized I misread that. But still. Throw enough matches and hit rank 4 at start of tourney to get a cheaper price to buy some guilds. Also totally looking forward to seeing FA tank to rank 7 again.

WvW on upleveled character.... lol, there's a term for that from avid WvW'ers they're called rally bots. If you plan to use an uplevled in WvW do not fight in zergs, far more than being useless your actually a detriment to your world and are often the reason why they lose they're losing the fight since killing an extremely squishy you, allows the enemy to rally.

Scouting an escorting dolly's is fine but fighting in a zerg nope...

If I'm in a matchup that has a server winning by over 100k by karma training, a level 80 isn't going to be a huge difference. Tough matchups with actual competitive fights I'm only bringing my lvl 80 guardian that is built for zerg fights. But when we're running around defensively backcapping our third and occasionally running into DB's karma training pug zerg hoping to catch us off guard by golem rushing overlook? It rarely is an issue. Besides, at that point I'm looking for the closest cannon to shoot inside since people always forget they can aim in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom