• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retro

Maybe not class-less, but something where picking your class (or whatever you pick at the beginning) is a lot more like choosing a character in a fighting game than anything else, and you basically have every ability you'd need to beat the hardest content in the game from minute one, the only bottleneck being your own skill.

Nah, class-less in the sense that you build your own class from a large pool of skills and abilities that modify or expand the basic actions your character can perform.

Atrophis

*shrug* exactly the same side of the same coin to me. Yes it's one of the easiest encounters, yes the nerf made it easier.

They reduced the time it takes to kill the knights, I'm not sure how that makes the fight easier. Can you explain what mechanics they removed that I missed in the patch notes?

I guess you were pissed when they reduced the tier 5 reward from 1500 to 1200 citizens too?

I wonder if they'll ever add in a "simple" interface toggle, that reduces everything to A through F rankings on gear stats. So when I look at say, a helm, it says Precision: A Power: B - kinda like how Hot Shots Golf does club/character rankings. And then when I swap gear out, I can see at a glance what skills are changed immediately, like Precision going from B to A (but it wouldn't always, if the gear I swapped in had low "hidden" precision values, or not enough to bump it to the next letter "tier").

They reduced the time it takes to kill the knights, I'm not sure how that makes the fight easier. Can you explain what mechanics they removed that I missed in the patch notes?

I guess you were pissed when they reduced the tier 5 reward from 1500 to 1200 citizens too?

Who's pissed? Anyway, the fight was never hard - true, but it was "hard" due to it requiring more people to know what they're doing, than not. By reducing the health, the "difficulty" was eased off somewhat - the mechanics are unchanged, but players knocked out or downed by them wouldn't be as big of a detriment to those still up and doing damage. It's really splitting hairs when trying to separate mechanical fight difficulty from the time limit that encapsulates them.

I don't think anyone minded that the 1500 was lowered to 1200, because that's a totally different kettle of fish - with so many events pulling people in all directions, it required most people to actively rescue citizens to reach that 1500, which was forcing them to skip events they might want to do "for the good of the whole". That's always risky.

You need less DPS in the limited time frame to win. This means less people required and more chances to recover if bads get killed en-masse and need to be raised. That doesn't stop people from mass reflecting conditions on to the rest of the group, though.

Retro is gonna jizz his pants.
that_shamanFlame Legion Cartographer [score hidden] 17 minutes ago
Ah well, cat is out of the bag if they start posting these pictures themselves: last week's major update had quite a bunch of new Zephyr Sanctum models. Expect a return "soonish".

Shiokazu

you keep saying that the fight is hard, never saying why was it hard.

it was not hard. watch the knight's animation, dodge when common sense, if you want melee stand behind it, dodge when common sense, or just stay ranged and backpedal when floor goes orange bellow your feet.

really, thats the fight. what part of it is hard?

Atrophis

you keep saying that the fight is hard, never saying why was it hard.

it was not hard. watch the knight's animation, dodge when common sense, if you want melee stand behind it, dodge when common sense, or just stay ranged and backpedal when floor goes orange bellow your feet.

really, thats the fight. what part of it is hard?

I think you need to read my earlier post again and point out where I said the fight was hard. I specifically said its one of the easiest bosses in the game. Don't let that get in the way of you jumping to hilarious conclusions though.

Retro

I think you're equating indifference with anger. The fight was doable before, it is simply more doable now. This really doesn't mean anything to those of us who were fine with it before, nor does the fight lose anything significant as it was pretty easy already.

I wonder if they'll ever add in a "simple" interface toggle, that reduces everything to A through F rankings on gear stats. So when I look at say, a helm, it says Precision: A Power: B - kinda like how Hot Shots Golf does club/character rankings. And then when I swap gear out, I can see at a glance what skills are changed immediately, like Precision going from B to A (but it wouldn't always, if the gear I swapped in had low "hidden" precision values, or not enough to bump it to the next letter "tier").

Get out of my head, Charles.

Retro is gonna jizz his pants.

They know how much people loved the Bazaar, there was no way it wasn't gonna come back. Nice to see it semi-confirmed though. It does make sense that the Blade Shards are related to the Bazaar though; remember that last year they straight up traded Supply Boxes for Zhaitaffy, Candy Corn, and crafting materials.

Proven

In other news, I guess nobody else knows what Condition Crash and Condition Counter does, huh?

From my own experience, it feels like the descriptions for those icons are a bit of an embellishment. Simply put, putting more conditions on the Assault Knight means it does less damage (based on experience that could be chalked up to bad scaling in my favor), making it much easier to get into melee range. To compensate, the Knight will also often do a stun lock auto-attack chain. The stun even goes through Shield Stance...

The damage difference with high stacks is enough that I can actually revive people while taking a few hits as long as I don't get stunned. Any other time I have to hope that he's charging his pull attack, randomly walking away, or that the player was downed at the edge of melee range.

*shrug* exactly the same side of the same coin to me. Yes it's one of the easiest encounters, yes the nerf made it easier.

Yeah that's the game I've always wanted, basically. Maybe not class-less, but something where picking your class (or whatever you pick at the beginning) is a lot more like choosing a character in a fighting game than anything else, and you basically have every ability you'd need to beat the hardest content in the game from minute one, the only bottleneck being your own skill. The progression would exist only in the sense of customization (changing your character horizontally to suit your playstyle) and "get better" (just improve your skill level over time, as in a fighting or action game). Hard-to-find gear could have cool amplification or skill-tweaking effects like Miktar suggested rather than increasing your power, and would never be necessary.

I think epic quests, open-world bosses, dungeons, puzzles, and even "raids" or whatever the equivalent would be under this setup could be incredibly fun to partake in with this sort of open system. But Retro is correct that a game of the scope I'm imagining is essentially impossible to develop as a profit center. There are people out there who like carrots even if they don't need them to enjoy a game, and there are people out there who do need carrots, and both of those groups have dollars.

The funny thing is, in reading over this I sort of got the urge to play some version of Monster Hunter again, but the more I thought about it I realized how much I was romanticizing it. There are some seriously tedious quests in those games outside of the good stuff (you know... Monster Hunting), and the RNG when farming a creature for pieces for a new armor set (which you need to upgrade) makes everything in GW2 look tame.

I don't even know of any game that has come close- which of course brings me back here. A lot of things I mentioned definitely make GW2 the closest game to what I want that's ever been attempted on this scale. A lot of things in my first paragraph are almost true of this game.

A sidenote: sometimes I think my opinion is colored pretty dramatically by having played with a gamepad for so long. The game honestly has great, sensible core controls, and I think that shines through easily in how well it works with a controller.

In the past, I just jumped between Team Fortress 2 and Monster Hunter. Monster Hunter also becomes a lot more manageable when you don't tie yourself to a specific rare drop or farm just one monster over and over again. I got through Tri by playing online and helping people get their drops while eventually collection a variety of rare drops for when I felt like upgrading.

At the same time, the RNG is part of the reason why I washed out of Tri Ultimate very shortly after reaching G rank, and why I'm looking forward to whatever system I heard may be in MH4U to mitigate it.

I'd enjoy this if they just put the PvP system everywhere. Many MMO people wouldn't enjoy this, because they'd prefer more numbers for number crunching and min maxing.

Taffer

I'll take a flat 25% HP cut in lieu of a proper scaling tweak when there's fewer people around; I've been playing afternoon/early evening UK time when there's barely 25 people turning up at any Knight fight and getting it down to about 20% is the average. No piles of dead players refusing to WP, no clouds of conditions bouncing onto players, only a few people getting downed after a pull and it's just frustrating failing in these attempts just because there's no swarm in LA at the time.

Shiokazu

I think you need to read my earlier post again and point out where I said the fight was hard. I specifically said its one of the easiest bosses in the game. Don't let that get in the way of you jumping to hilarious conclusions though.

i did, im sorry. it was not you. HERP D:

Ashodin

Not sure about the bazaar coming back so quickly, but it's been a while! Well, it'll be after march, so maybe longer than i thought. I am getting nostalgic feelings for it recently.

Retro

Bazaar needs to be permanent such a beautiful design, i would hang out there when i am bored just to enjoy the design..

As much as I want to say "Yes", I also know that one of the big reasons the Bazaar is so fondly remembered is that it was gone just as it started to get boring. It's fun as hell jumping around the place, but after you've completed the scavenger hunt, explored around a little and done all the miscellaneous events, it's pretty much just 'weee, look how high I can jump!" Which is a fucking blast, don't get me wrong, but if it had become permanent I dunno how many people would hang out there. It's isolated and hard to get around if you're just trying to sell / buy / etc. The only strong point it had was a ton of ingredient vendors, which made cooking to 400 a cakewalk. "Absence makes the heart grow fonder", and all of that.

It's annual appearance also means that they can use it as a limited-time opportunity to tweak the economy by introducing material sinks. Really common, low-valued materials suddenly spiked because you could trade them in for Supply Boxes. I wouldn't be surprised if the bottomed out materials on the TP (i.e. Leather) gets traded heavily when the Bazaar returns. As a bonus, from a narrative perspective it's cool that there's a community of traders who roam the continents and disrupt the economy a bit.

Not sure about the bazaar coming back so quickly, but it's been a while! Well, it'll be after march, so maybe longer than i thought. I am getting nostalgic feelings for it recently.

It originally came out in July, I imagine it will return in July.

Atrophis

I'll take a flat 25% HP cut in lieu of a proper scaling tweak when there's fewer people around; I've been playing afternoon/early evening UK time when there's barely 25 people turning up at any Knight fight and getting it down to about 20% is the average. No piles of dead players refusing to WP, no clouds of conditions bouncing onto players, only a few people getting downed after a pull and it's just frustrating failing in these attempts just because there's no swarm in LA at the time.

Exactly my experience of the fight. I'm also playing UK time.

i did, im sorry. it was not you. HERP D:

No worries mate. You won't see me crying about hard bosses. Teq's my favourite boss fight right now for example and I'm still pissed I missed marionette.

That's what I am saying too. The fight mechanics aren't hard. It's not like I'm fighting Shao Kahn a second time and it takes me 3 hours of sitting there getting the timing down to win. The "difficulty" in it is that a skilled player is inconsequential without 20 others at three locations. All they really had to do was improve the scaling.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
They reduced the time it takes to kill the knights, I'm not sure how that makes the fight easier.
They reduced the time it takes to kill the knights, and the fight is timed. This makes the encounter easier. It in fact was the simplest way to make it easier. Or, I guess, equally easy to extending the timer, and certainly nobody wants that.

If the fight was not timed, reducing the HP of the knights and thus the duration of the fight would have no impact on difficulty; smaller groups or ones containing fewer people that didn't know what to do would simply take longer and still result in success, and thus we wouldn't even be discussing it right now.
Can you explain what mechanics they removed that I missed in the patch notes?

Are you having a bad day? :-/ I don't know what I did to inspire your snark, and far from being pissed, I think it was a good idea for them to make the fight easier for exactly these reasons:
Taffer said:
Atrophis said:
Exactly my experience of the fight. I'm also playing UK time.
In this case there's no reason that not having quite enough people around should be a major bottleneck to your enjoyment, and it's right to alter the difficulty to accomodate. This is a "lowest common denominator" event. It's a big deal, critical to the story, major promotional content- it should be able to be experienced by as many people as possible, with as few arbitrary limitations as possible. I mentioned earlier on this page that I thought it was a good idea.

I approved of change to the LA evacuation too for precisely the same reasons, though I slightly kinda sorta regret not getting the chance to beat the "pre-nerf" version. I beat Scarlet twice before any changes to anything so I'm even less ambivalent about this one, which is to say not at all.

In this case there's no reason that not having quite enough people around should be a major bottleneck to your enjoyment, and it's right to alter the difficulty to accomodate. This is a "lowest common denominator" event. It's a big deal, critical to the story, major promotional content- it should be able to be experienced by as many people as possible, with as few arbitrary limitations as possible. I mentioned earlier on this page that I thought it was a good idea.

What they should have done, IMO, is had correct scaling on it. In an ideal situation, it would have been just as difficult to beat it with 5 as it was with 50 instead of impossible with 10 and AFK auto-attack with 50. Easier said than done, I know.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Of course. One imagines it was reasonable to expect that there would be more than 5 people available, but it sounds like the scaling falls apart for this one somewhere heading under 30. It would be interesting to see what the technically fewest possible to do it with would be if everyone knew exactly what to do but it's sadly untestable. :(

Nerfing the entire fight for everyone is a total band-aid in the absence of being able to quickly scale it for smaller numbers, but a necessary step based on data I'm sure they had showing far fewer completions at off-peak times.

edit: hehe, yeah, your edit is what I mean behind saying it's a "good idea." Not ideal, but the simplest and thus best solution to put in place quickly.

Scaling issue most likely has to do with the Condition mechanic as the "power level" lowers based on the amount of stacks. The scaling system they use in it's current state probably isn't set up to adjust that kind of mechanic, rather it tweaks hp pools and damage amounts.

Atrophis

Are you having a bad day? :-/ I don't know what I did to inspire your snark, and far from being pissed, I think it was a good idea for them to make the fight easier for exactly these reasons

Honestly? Kinda yeah, and its not fair to take it out on fellow gaffers. I apologise mate.

This is a "lowest common denominator" event. It's a big deal, critical to the story, major promotional content- it should be able to be experienced by as many people as possible, with as few arbitrary limitations as possible.

I agree with this. I think the way the Assault Knights gate access to the holo fight and the final instance is a bit strange. Everyone should get to see the final of the season without having to jump through hoops (teleporter to an out of context version of the ending doesn't really cut it). For other content in the game? I have no problem with gating access via a fight/achievements or whatever.

Shiokazu

Today: 3/11/2014 around 5:50 PM

TL;DR: IF U NO ZERG TRAIN THEN U ARE WRONG.

while me and other two players struggled to say " spread, this is not the right way to make this event. "

gw035.jpg

tora%20facepalm.jpg

hythloday

Today: 3/11/2014 around 5:50 PM

TL;DR: IF U NO ZERG TRAIN THEN U ARE WRONG.

while me and other two players struggled to say " spread, this is not the right way to make this event. "

gw035.jpg

This makes me so incredibly sad. I cannot do justice in describing the level of unhappiness I have for the subsection of players that do that at events. The best way to express it would be a loop of that "Uggggh" noise Sideshow Bob made in an old Simpsons episode where he kept stepping on rakes and hitting himself in the face over and over. Because that's what my soul feels like seeing people flock to the path of least resistance every night and completely ignore intended mechanics just so "we can all get loot guyz!" - and THEN tell people who are trying to encourage others to do the fight as ANet designed it that they are doing it "wrong."

Shit guys. Kos is trapped in a time vortex!

OH MY GOD THATS WHAT SCARLET WAS PLANNING ALL ALONG!

Shiokazu

I think (hope) they were just trolling you.

no, it was no troll, later people at red were also asking for SOS, i stood about 3 minutes in green alone, then when health bar started to get bad, i ran to red to see if it was ok, there were about 5 people on red. and when i checked blue, there was a sea of people.

I've believe it's already been said - never underestimate the stupidity of the average player.

someone just said in the topic, " the playerbase want to hit 1 and wait for a shower of percursors. "

I am greatly amused that you have named that tab "Crapchat."

every time i turn to that tab i want to suicide. =__=

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Honestly? Kinda yeah, and its not fair to take it out on fellow gaffers. I apologise mate.
No worries at all... can't be helped sometimes. Reading stuff like this goes a long way with me by the way, and I really appreciate you taking the time to type it out.
I agree with this. I think the way the Assault Knights gate access to the holo fight and the final instance is a bit strange. Everyone should get to see the final of the season without having to jump through hoops (teleporter to an out of context version of the ending doesn't really cut it). For other content in the game? I have no problem with gating access via a fight/achievements or whatever.
I totally get that. It's strange for sure. I can see what they were going for.... basically, a bottleneck to ensure that the boss fight platforms have a suitable amount of people on them before starting (being able to kill the assault knights "proves" you have enough total to kill Scarlet, at least in theory), but then the scaling wasn't robust enough to handle the lower end, where the coordinated groups would be able to kill Scarlet but just ran out of time on the knights due to lack of people.

It's tricky, because personally I completely support the decision to not have the fight itself locked away in an instance. They wanted the gate to be reasonably easy to overcome, but also serve as an indicator of capability for the final fight, and I think it actually feels pretty amazing when you get in a coordinated, relatively-skilled group working together to win the day. A feeling unlike that found in many other games, actually, because it's a wholly different proposition than putting together a 30-man raid in advance with your guild or whatever.

All in all the notion that the gate itself in this case was too high, especially with scaling not working as well as it should be for small groups, is totally reasonable. They'll just have to keep learning, though. As far as we are off, it's crazy for me to think about what the Season 2 finale could be like.

In all honesty the only things I liked about Bazaar of the Four Winds is that it was a new area (at the time I thought this means, more new areas every LS) and the song about Glint which got me excited about possibly heading to Crystal Desert but non of that happened. The rest of the update was mini-games which are stupid and ANET should never make them again. (keep sanctum sprint though)

I hope when it comes back it expands more on the Glint lore and it isn't just the same song again, with the same crystals to collect. It will get boring really fast.

Shiokazu

All in all the notion that the gate itself in this case was too high, especially with scaling not working as well as it should be for small groups, is totally reasonable. They'll just have to keep learning, though. As far as we are off, it's crazy for me to think about what the Season 2 finale could be like.

i have my fears. while i think that nothing could move the players to go beyond their comfort zone, i still have hopes that Anet can make them walk the " extra mile " .

period on that, just to reinforce what i said earlier: i feel that i am the one playing this game the wrong way.

Mxrz

There really isn't a wrong way. Just find an element you like, and have at it.

I don't believe GW2 will ever be that game where there is uber elite content that only 5% of the player base can do. People expecting that, and trying to force that hardcore mmo mindset are just pissing in the wind. Play, have fun, collect lewts. Anymore than that and meh.

Arkanius

Wait a second. I have been away since day 1 of the update, where SBI killed the Watchknights on the first try, we killed the Hologram on the first try, and everything was right in the world.

I come back today and people are crying foul of Watchknights being too hard, no one managing to beat them, etc etc
What the heck happened? Did they got buffed mid-week?

EDIT:

Wait seriously? People are trying to beat them in a ZERG TRAIN and not dividing to beat them at the same time?

hythloday

What the heck happened? Did they got buffed mid-week?

EDIT:

Wait seriously? People are trying to beat them in a ZERG TRAIN and not dividing to beat them at the same time?

Combination of people trying to zerg them and fewer people doing the events (which is why people are trying to zerg, I guess they figure they can at least try to kill one). If you're on SBI during prime time you're probably good, but if you're in overflow it can be kinda rough. My playtime's been spotty and I haven't been on a successful run since the day of the patch, but I've done a few failures.

Yup. Like all of these newer major events, you pretty much have to do them in Primetime and try to get in the main instance to really have a chance. This event isn't particularly hard either, which is what makes that pretty lame.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Yup. Like all of these newer major events, you pretty much have to do them in Primetime and try to get in the main instance to really have a chance. This event isn't particularly hard either, which is what makes that pretty lame.

I've got most of mine in Overflows in off-peaks hours.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Wow that's definitely something. None of my overflow attempts have been close. I hadn't heard of many that had succeeded until your post.

Really? Ive done it a few times now. Jumped into the map with it already done (and also not done) a few times too, roaming for other cheevos.

Weird. The only times I see the event fail is when there is ZERO people on the map, bar one or two folks and that happens around noon my local time (UK) almost every day.

*Im on the GAF friendly SBI, NA

Really? Ive done it a few times now. Jumped into the map with it already done (and also not done) a few times too, roaming for other cheevos.

Weird. The only times I see the event fail is when there is ZERO people on the map, bar one or two folks and that happens around noon my local time (UK) almost every day.

*Im on the GAF friendly SBI, NA

Pre-health nerf, post, or both? My attempts were all pre-health nerf.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Pre-health nerf, post, or both? My attempts were all pre-health nerf.

Both for sure. I made sure to check out the fights after the nerf with the limits to see how it changed things up.

Generally Ive seen folks split up, call out when a certain Knight has reached the max limit of fighters and call out damage percentages so the other groups know where the other Knights are at health wise.

Doesn't happen every time mind, but Ive seen this occur multiple times now when making impromptu visits to LA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom