• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Proven

Hold up. The Sylvari (the ones walking around, I'm guessing) only appeared on Tyria 25 years (now 26) years ago? And nobody in Tyria finds that... worrying? A civilization of creatures barely 30, nevermind they "share" knowledge when they "return to the dream", which I'm assuming is when they die? Or do they have a resync systems?

Yes, I just rolled my first Sylvari, and I can't help but find the race... really evil-sounding

I know that while in the Dream, they learn from a ghost of Ventari, or a representation of his teachings anyway, but that's hardly much comfort.

Well, yeah. That's why for the first many years that Sylvari existed, they were victimized and experimented on. They unfortunately had the Asura for their neighbors.

I always assumed the Shadow of the Dragon fought in the opening instance was a reflection of Zhaitan, but now, it kind of lampshades the whole Mordremoth thing quite blatantly, doesn't it.

Hb6mBVJ.jpg

Nevermind it looks nothing like Zhaitan, and some might say it's just meant to reflect the idea of the dragon threat to Tyria. But yeah.

Man, the Sylvari opening on Caledon is arguably the strongest in the game. Stunning area, great vista when you get out of the starting instance, and the opening instance fight is really cool, second only to perhaps the Asura one.

Retro

Hold up. The Sylvari (the ones walking around, I'm guessing) only appeared on Tyria 25 years (now 26) years ago? And nobody in Tyria finds that... worrying? A civilization of creatures barely 30, nevermind they "share" knowledge when they "return to the dream", which I'm assuming is when they die? Or do they have a resync systems?

Yes, I just rolled my first Sylvari, and I can't help but find the race... really evil-sounding

I know that while in the Dream, they learn from a ghost of Ventari, or a representation of his teachings anyway, but that's hardly much comfort.

I believe the way the dream works is sort of like a collective consciousness, but I believe that the Pale Tree subtly influences who receives what parts of the whole. The experiences of all Sylvari are incorporated into the dream, but what you actually see appears to be a kind of mixed bag, and a good deal of time is spent trying to figure out what the dream means for each Sylvari. Caithe and all player Sylvari, for example, see the dragon, which is obviously meant to be their destiny (the sylvari call very deep-seated visions a "Wyld Hunt"). I'm not sure the Sylvari themselves understand everything, which is kind of scary since nobody really knows what the Pale Tree's goals are.

More here, obviously: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Dream_of_Dreams

There's all sorts of cool little pieces of The Dream that they don't spend much time on, like how the Nightmare Court seeks to just flood the dream with pain and misery so that more Sylvari are born with their dark ideals entrenched. Or the Soundless, Sylvari who are so overwhelmed by the Dream that they become hermits or form small communities to purposely shut themselves out. In the wiki article, they reference Ghosts of Ascalon where the Sylvari character knew what things would taste like before she tasted them, because other Sylvari had done so before.

I still think the Hologram fight is one of the best fights the game ever gave us.
And the music

/opens soundcloud

There's a download link for all of the tracks they post. I'm a huge nerd, so of course I have a playlist with all of them sorted by date.

I wonder what kind of stuff
Scarlet will do in the Dream (assuming she can still go there).

I don't think it's anything the Sylvari can control. It's not like Star Wars where a person can remain a conscious entity through the Force. They just die and their memories and experiences filter back into the dream. I'm sure there will be echos of that character for quite some time, but I don't think they'll be anything resembling a conscious will.

Retro

Saw a thread on Reddit where people are reporting tremors all over Tyria (not just LA). Anyone able to confirm? I haven't gotten on yet, been busy.

Oh yeah I got some ticket for a captain's ship. What special stuff does the captain's ship have?

Nothing special, it's just all crafting vendors / tables, banks, TP, mystic forge and various vendors in one small space. Ports to all of the major cities as well. The only thing it has that the Queen's Terrace doesn't is the daily activity NPC.

Basically it's a nice place to port to (for free!) at the end of a day to clear out your bags and such.

Zeroth

I don't think it's anything the Sylvari can control. It's not like Star Wars where a person can remain a conscious entity through the Force. They just die and their memories and experiences filter back into the dream. I'm sure there will be echos of that character for quite some time, but I don't think they'll be anything resembling a conscious will.

Oh no, I mean more along the lines of what her knowledge will bring to the dream, and how it will affect future sylvarians. That is, assuming she will still go there after the whole experiment thing messing up with her mind.

Retro

Oh no, I mean more along the lines of what her knowledge will bring to the dream, and how it will affect future sylvarians. That is, assuming she will still go there after the whole experiment thing messing up with her mind.

Ah. gotcha. Who knows, maybe that will play a role in the story as some Sylvari are borne into the world with whatever knowledge drove her to madness.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Nothing special, it's just all crafting vendors / tables, banks, TP, mystic forge and various vendors in one small space. Ports to all of the major cities as well. The only thing it has that the Queen's Terrace doesn't is the daily activity NPC.

Basically it's a nice place to port to (for free!) at the end of a day to clear out your bags and such.

Aww I wish that drop is more common

Ceres

Banned
Aww I wish that drop is more common

You can get a few of them from the alliance bags. I have a stack of like 25 but I've probably opened upwards of 1500 bags. I bought the permanent one that my guardian has been using. nice to just click on and insta port to the ship instead of going through WvW or PvP since there's no crafting stations in the gendarran fields relocation.

Mxrz

It is depressing how much damage a warrior can do in pve with so little effort. All you need is zerk armor, an axe, a greatsword, and healing signet.

Complistic

It is depressing how much damage a warrior can do in pve with so little effort. All you need is zerk armor, an axe, a greatsword, and healing signet.

Maybe if he catches me by surprise, otherwise he likely died before he got halfway to me. Those guys are tissue paper.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
You can get a few of them from the alliance bags. I have a stack of like 25 but I've probably opened upwards of 1500 bags. I bought the permanent one that my guardian has been using. nice to just click on and insta port to the ship instead of going through WvW or PvP since there's no crafting stations in the gendarran fields relocation.

Wonder why Almora Soulkeeper never provided crafting stations.

Regarding the future feature patch:

Thread on Official Forums named "Will the feature patch be good?":
Yes fifteen times.

-Even Lesh (Gameplay Programmer)

You know its a good update when after playing internally, you go home to play the ‘older’ game on live and wish you were back at the office.
Will it have every feature you guys want? No patch ever will. It’s still an awesome patch for the entire game.

-Even Lesh (Gameplay Programmer)

This build is so fun, it should certainly shake things up a bit.
Crazy changes are crazy:p
#elepocalype
Let the elements guide you

-Tyler Chapman (PvP & Balance QA Embed)

It’s not really going to be like that. Everythings getting new crazy stuff, I am just personally overly hyped about the Ele changes. Honestly I see every class being in a pretty good spot. It’s hard to tell what is going to come out of the build. Hence why we’ve kept the balance changes to a minimum amount.

-Tyler Chapman (PvP & Balance QA Embed)
via somewhere in the official forums

Taffer

I assumed Scarlet cut herself off from the Dream, soundless-style. Can't have anyone knowing what you're up to when doing the whole evil genius thing.
I was expecting Sylvari to be plant-elves when I started playing but I was happy to see they went a different way. They're just big children really. Adult-sized, combat-capable, sexually active naive kids. With Gaelic names ♥.

Mystic Forge Stones are on sale today. Buy 5 for 212 gems or 10 for 382 gems.

Stupid gemstore refuses to load any page beyond the main one since this March sale began, I'm hoping it's sorted by the time transmutation crystals go on sale.

CoffeeMan

I assumed Scarlet cut herself off from the Dream, soundless-style. Can't have anyone knowing what you're up to when doing the whole evil genius thing.
I was expecting Sylvari to be plant-elves when I started playing but I was happy to see they went a different way. They're just big children really. Adult-sized, combat-capable, sexually active naive kids. With Gaelic names ♥.

Since they're born from a tree, I don't think they're sexually active.

As they are all born from the Pale Tree they could be considered all of the same family; however, their family bond is not as strong as most families, with many sylvari considering others more like distant relatives with few exceptions, such as twins born from the same pod or those who shared dreams, though the latter may also result in lovers. Romance is practiced among the sylvari, disregarding gender between those involved. To a sylvari, love is spiritual and eternal, and it has nothing at all to do with the physical form or physical contact.

CoffeeMan

Dammit, I remember reading a dev post on the forums ages ago that explicitly said their genitals aren't just for show but I can't find anything now.

GG: Given that the emphasis is on courtly love with the sylvari, is this borrowed from another culture in Tyria? From where did these ideals stem?

Ree: The sylvari have their own ideas, and their own culture. It is influenced both by human culture, and by the ideals of the peaceful centaur, Ventari, but over the years that the sylvari have been awake and aware, they have taken those ideals and made them into a culture. Courtly love --love that has no reliance on the idea of sexuality between the lovers--is one of these natural extrapolations. As the sylvari don't physically reproduce, they simply put less emphasis on gender.

GG: The sylvari being new, and their reproduction being handled without sex, how much confusion is there among the other species as regards them? It seems there are already hints that no one is quite certain on their origins, so is there further confusion/ignorance about their culture as it stands now?

Ree: Other races are absolutely uncertain about the sylvari - but not because of their sexuality or reproduction. This uncertainty comes from the entirety of sylvari existence: they are a new race, with little history; they are 'born' fully grown with a strange understanding of simple concepts of the world; and their physiology is not mammalian, but is instead plant-based (even though it bears similarities to human form). The other races are still trying to figure them out, both physically and in regards to their culture.

http://gaygamer.net/2011/10/interview_guild_war_2s_ree_soe.html

CoffeeMan

Although I did find this, looking a bit deeper

Can sylvari have sex?
“Physically, sylvari are male or female, and the relevant external biology is accurate on both […]” - Ree Soesbee, Dream and Nightmare

Yes. They have the appropriate bits to do so.

Can sylvari reproduce?
“[Sylvari] cannot sexually reproduce as the other races do; they have no internal organs capable of creating children.” - Ree Soesbee, Dream and Nightmare

No.

http://guildwars2roleplay.wikispaces.com/A+Comprehensive+Guide+to+All+Things+Sylvari#VII. BIOLOGY-Can sylvari have sex?

Although I did find this, looking a bit deeper

Can sylvari have sex?
“Physically, sylvari are male or female, and the relevant external biology is accurate on both […]” - Ree Soesbee, Dream and Nightmare

Yes. They have the appropriate bits to do so.

Can sylvari reproduce?
“[Sylvari] cannot sexually reproduce as the other races do; they have no internal organs capable of creating children.” - Ree Soesbee, Dream and Nightmare

No.

http://guildwars2roleplay.wikispaces.com/A+Comprehensive+Guide+to+All+Things+Sylvari#VII. BIOLOGY-Can sylvari have sex?

So basically, they can have all the fun parts of sex, but don't have to worry about the whole pregnancy thing?

I can think of a few folks in Goldshire who would have a holiday with this one.

LiveSpartan235

Neo Member
Disregard any rumors that the Feature Build is months away

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/pvp/pvp/Opening-Chests-after-March-18th/page/2#post3757628
I’d love to answer that first question but I’d rather leave it up to either John C or Colin if they wish to dare:p

As for the second! Can’t say too much about this, sorry ;( but remember this patch is just rewards phase 2 and the final phase is just around the corner! (It’s not too long after this patch) Disregard any rumors about the feature build being months away. We’ve worked so kitten this build, we are here struggling to be patient just as you all are :/

p.s. further more consistent leveling in pvp will come feature build;p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom