• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retro

I wonder what Lion's Arch is going to be like tomorrow.

The Atlas had an image accidentally go up early, so here's a preview;
583f456e-a953-11e3-8clhjx1.jpg

CoffeeMan

Talking about the consortium, I hope they have a bigger part in the next living story season. They're interesting, and they've been hinting at them some more since the tower of nightmares updates.

You had the consortium making his way to the Tower, he was at Black Haven, harassing the Quaggan.
And there wast the consortium selling you the Magic Find buff for some Toxic spores.

Dat feel when I finally have enough gold to buy a precursor...

...just to realize that the price of mats have gone up so much since I had last calculated everything months ago that it'd cost me another 600gold just to get them all.

I guess I will remain legendary-less. :/
Precursors have always been the most difficult material to get, so I would grab it and worry about T6 mats later, if I were you. Plus you can get 3 T6 mats per laurel if you've been stockpiling laurels (only other use these days are for ascended trinkets for your alts IMO).

Ah yes, the oil thingie. Nice.
Zoom in on the oil thingie and you'll see minature Asura gates.

Dat feel when I finally have enough gold to buy a precursor...

...just to realize that the price of mats have gone up so much since I had last calculated everything months ago that it'd cost me another 600gold just to get them all.

I guess I will remain legendary-less. :/

I recommed using http://gw2legends.net/ - when you enter data in the fields, it becomes a unique URL you bookmark. It pulls prices for things from gw2spidy, so they stay reasonably relevant.

It's thanks to the site that I could keep my eye on the ball and work towards a legendary, even if GAF helped me in the home stretch.

Proven

I'm actually a little sad that it looks like people will be coming back to live in LA (or else such a memorial wouldn't be able to go up with the candles and all that, theoretically). Story wise, though, there would be problems dealing with all of those displaced people otherwise.

True - but I wonder if it'll still be a hub city. I kind of feel the game needs to not have one, so the main cities can each get some love, and have a reason to go there (as I mentioned earlier in the thread - each city needs its own unique and sought-after feature, like Arenas in Black Citadel, etc).

Korten

Banned
I pray the first update of Season 2 of Living Story doesn't fix Lions Arch and just leave the memorial. I'm going to be extremely disappointed in ArenaNet if the only sign that something big had happened in Lions Arch is the memorial. Cause honestly it would just prove that essentially that Anet doesn't have the balls to drastically change the world like that pernament.

Please Anet, keep Lions Arch gone for months, if not till the start of the hypothetical Season 3 LS.

I pray the first update of Season 2 of Living Story doesn't fix Lions Arch and just leave the memorial. I'm going to be extremely disappointed in ArenaNet if the only sign that something big had happened in Lions Arch is the memorial. Cause honestly it would just prove that essentially that Anet doesn't have the balls to drastically change the world like that pernament.

Please Anet, keep Lions Arch gone for months, if not till the start of the hypothetical Season 3 LS.

To be fair, Kessex was changed pretty drastically, and has remained that way.

CoffeeMan

Although, I would like to start seeing some clean up efforts.

Like nothing big, maybe NPCs going from point A to point B with debris in their hands. And every couple of patch, change Kessex to reflect that progress is happening throughout the rest of the year.

Proven

To be fair to the other side, Kessex Hills is an explorable zone, and a zone that's just one zone from the easiest champ train, and the most popular racial starting zone. It manages to be in a place to draw in the most crowds while still being out of the way from inconveniencing everyone. Lion's Arch currently is an inconvenience.

Funny that - If there's one thing I've not seen yet, is complaints about LA being gone being an inconvenience. With everything moved to Vigil, and being slightly closer together in some respects, this is actually an upgrade of sorts. Bringing LA back in its former state, would be creating an inconvenience, as I see it.

Ceres

Banned
Funny that - If there's one thing I've not seen yet, is complaints about LA being gone being an inconvenience. With everything moved to Vigil, and being slightly closer together in some respects, this is actually an upgrade of sorts. Bringing LA back in its former state, would be creating an inconvenience, as I see it.

They should rebuild it with an actual different layout over time. Personally, I've been using the airship pretty much the entire time.

Retro

The consortium docks are gone!

Yeah, I have a feeling this update is going to basically change the world to mirror what happened in the final cutscene. I'm hoping there's huge, glowing cracks in all the various zones and what was left of Lion's Arch was blasted into other zones from that massive explosion.

I think at this point we're not going to get that "uninhabitable LA reclaimed by nature" I was hoping for, but I hope the rebuilding process is slow.

Talking about the consortium, I hope they have a bigger part in the next living story season. They're interesting, and they've been hinting at them some more since the tower of nightmares updates.

I have a feeling Evon Gnashblade is pretty much screwed; whatever he had in Lion's Arch was probably destroyed, and what was left has been appropriated by the Lion Guard. It will be interesting if a side-story occurring alongside Season 2 has him scheming to get back on top as a self-made man charr.

Seeing him sabotage the Consortium, or join it in an effort to take it over from the inside, or who knows what could be very cool, as something happening alongside the bigger events of the world (in the same way we all want to see what happens to Job-o-/Hobo-/Ho-Ho-/Heal-o-Tron)

I would be shocked if they bring it back exactly the same. The city basically burned to the ground, so it's not like they even have the ships to rebuild it that way (remember, the aesthetic of Lion's Arch was mostly because it was built from ships wrecked during the Rising of Orr).

That's kind of why I was hoping the Miasma wouldn't clear, and the zone would basically be uninhabitable for a long time. I'm okay if there's refugees moving back in, but as a hub world it should cease to be. Maybe part of Season 2 can be an effort to build a new Lion's Arch. A real, proper, grandiose city of stone and steel.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Heya, could somebody explain the simplest way for me to burn all my belongings, heirlooms and glory into gold today?

Ceres

Banned
Heya, could somebody explain the simplest way for me to burn all my belongings, heirlooms and glory into gold today?

For belongings, if you need obsidian shards for a future legendary or ascended crafting, probably the best conversion. Alternatively, whatever sells the highest on the BLTP for Zhaitaffy, Candy Corn or Watchwork Sprocket is you really want to flip for gold.

Belongings can be traded in for alliance bag which is what I was doing.

Don't know about glory. I have about 25 boosters in my bank but never PvP.

I traded all my stuff for Knowledge Tomes. Ended up with 40 of them by the end, which was great for getting my Warrior to 80 from 30 (just had to leg the last few levels).

Also: is it okay by now to start talking about/posting things related to the ending of Battle for Lion's Arch, like, the final cutscene?

Ceres

Banned
I traded all my stuff for Knowledge Tomes. Ended up with 40 of them by the end, which was great for getting my Warrior to 80 from 30 (just had to leg the last few levels).

Oh yeah, I used 90% of my belongings for tomes because I only have 3 lvl 80s. But not all that useful if you don't have alts under 80.

Wonder if tomorrow's update will include something for blade shards if we didn't create the backpiece. I have so many in my bank right now based on the post in the anet forums.

Proven

For glory if you really want gold right now you can try crafting unidentified dyes (that are account bound, so you have to identify them and hope you get a rare dye to sell). Otherwise you can buy chests and coffers then use salvage kits while praying for crafting materials.

Honestly, glory is best used right now for level up tomes, certain weapon and armor pieces for your PvP locker, and large slot bags.

Jira

Also: is it okay by now to start talking about/posting things related to the ending of Battle for Lion's Arch, like, the final cutscene?

Starting tomorrow after the update would be best.

Retro

Belongings: Obsidian Shards of Tomes of Knowledge
Heirlooms: Alliance Supply bags (the potions taste distinctly of regret)
Glory: 20 slot bags, Tome of Knowledge, PVP Mystery Coffer. All from the Glory Rewards Vendor to the right in the HotM

I think this is probably okay now, or at the very least it will be okay after tomorrow, as the events of the cutscene will be in the past.

You can salvage extra PvP gear?(

Yeah, the rank-based Glory vendor sells PVP salvage kits for glory. Sorry man =(

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Belongings: Obsidian Shards of Tomes of Knowledge
Heirlooms: Alliance Supply bags (the potions taste distinctly of regret)
Glory: 20 slot bags, Tome of Knowledge, PVP Mystery Coffer. All from the Glory Rewards Vendor to the right in the HotM
appreciated (and others). I guess obby shards are a solid investment

I'm actually a little sad that it looks like people will be coming back to live in LA (or else such a memorial wouldn't be able to go up with the candles and all that, theoretically). Story wise, though, there would be problems dealing with all of those displaced people otherwise.
Bah, they could just move the refugees to southsun!
What could go wrong?

Jira

I feel like I constantly have to repeat myself...but I'll do it anyways. I feel like people seem to think that if ANet were to do an expansion, that it would follow the exact model that every other company uses when developing an expansion. The very success that GW2 has had is because it DIDN'T do the same old stuff so what makes people think that ANet would just be like okay guys here's 10 more levels, a couple new zones, some more dungeons, and a new PvP map? I think that people will end up being very surprised if ANet does announce an expansion cause I don't think it'll contain what they think it will.

Also, that guy will change his tune once
Maguuma opens up in its entirety
over the course of the next LS season...for free.

I used them to buy a dozen or so Orichalcum harvesting tools for my alts. Some days my alts have nothing better to do than mine some ore or chop some trees in the great white north.

This made me laugh:
tumblr_n0nfdlv0oc1sjz1x2o1_400.gif
Battle Roar, followed by Rocket Boots blasting in a water field?

I used them to buy a dozen or so Orichalcum harvesting tools for my alts. Some days my alts have nothing better to do than mine some ore or chop some trees in the great white north.

Battle Roar, followed by Rocket Boots blasting in a water field?

Used turret toolbelt skill then rocket boots.

I feel like I constantly have to repeat myself...

It's that saying again: people don't want something new. They want the same old stuff, and be tricked into thinking it's new. The people who go on and on about wanting an expansion, are then usually the first to complain that the xpac was finished in a week and now there's nothing to do but gear treadmill for the next raid patch.

I'm slowly making peace with the fact that (some) people who get into MMOS are just... not that bright. After watching some self-professed "experts" and minor streaming celebritits and other such e-wankery go on about the amazingness of certain features/functions in upcoming MMOs - features that already exist in GW2 but for some reason "don't count" because reasons - I'm coming to the conclusion that such individuals just don't *see* what's right in front of them.

A personal related anecdote: I had a best friend who never played a single MMO except some GW1. I tried to get them into GW2, even went so far as to buy them the client when it was still $60. They tried it for 10 minutes, said "it's just another MMO, too much like WoW" and never tried it again, and refused to listen to any kind of reason. They, to this day, see the game mentally as a WoW reskin, *regardless* of how just plain wrong that thinking is. And because they don't like being wrong, they won't try it again, because it would prove them wrong. And I consider this person a sane, rational, intelligent being. But on this specific topic: nope, they've made up their mind. It's the ones who think they are rational, that are usually incapable of rational thought.

And that's what I see a lot in MMORPG.com and other sites when I read their writing - people who think they're being realistic, and rational, but are actually being short-sighted, complaining about things not being how they think it should be, yet would complain if things were exactly how they wanted it to be.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
ATTENTION ACTIVE NON-SBI GAFFERS, especially EU
If you contact me before tomorrow's patch I have 2 or 3 transfers up for grabs. It will be more expensive by 800 gems after tomorrow to get here, so let me know.

Jira

It's that saying again: people don't want something new. They want the same old stuff, and be tricked into thinking it's new. The people who go on and on about wanting an expansion, are then usually the first to complain that the xpac was finished in a week and now there's nothing to do but gear treadmill for the next raid patch.

I'm slowly making peace with the fact that (some) people who get into MMOS are just... not that bright. After watching some self-professed "experts" and minor streaming celebritits and other such e-wankery go on about the amazingness of certain features/functions in upcoming MMOs - features that already exist in GW2 but for some reason "don't count" because reasons - I'm coming to the conclusion that such individuals just don't *see* what's right in front of them.

A personal related anecdote: I had a best friend who never played a single MMO except some GW1. I tried to get them into GW2, even went so far as to buy them the client when it was still $60. They tried it for 10 minutes, said "it's just another MMO, too much like WoW" and never tried it again, and refused to listen to any kind of reason. They, to this day, see the game mentally as a WoW reskin, *regardless* of how just plain wrong that thinking is. And because they don't like being wrong, they won't try it again, because it would prove them wrong. And I consider this person a sane, rational, intelligent being. But on this specific topic: nope, they've made up their mind. It's the ones who think they are rational, that are usually incapable of rational thought.

And that's what I see a lot in MMORPG.com and other sites when I read their writing - people who think they're being realistic, and rational, but are actually being short-sighted, complaining about things not being how they think it should be, yet would complain if things were exactly how they wanted it to be.

I'm sure you've heard this countless times before, but the same group of people who didn't like GW2 don't want another WoW clone but then bitch when the game isn't enough like WoW. As Retro always says, people don't actually know what they want. We had a stagnant genre for far too long and someone finally came along and did something to shake it up, yet people still want the same old shit they've been shoveled for a decade. Even worse, people will play Wildstar and ESO then quit after a month while waiting for something else (the average MMO locust is really SOL cause the upcoming shift to sandboxes are gonna make them weep). WHAT DO YOU MEAN THERE'S NO LEVELS AND NOTHING TELLS ME WHAT TO DO?!? I QUIT!

I mean as far as betas go, Wildstar and ESO are it for big themepark releases, the next like 5 are all sandbox as far as I'm aware. Note that I'm very much looking forward to EQN as my sandbox game so don't take this as I don't like them or anything. In fact, I've been wanting a sandbox for years now. I've wanted someone to just take the systems in EVE and put them into a ground based 3rd person system and let me loose.

ATTENTION ACTIVE NON-SBI GAFFERS, especially EU
If you contact me before tomorrow's patch I have 2 or 3 transfers up for grabs. It will be more expensive by 800 gems after tomorrow to get here, so let me know.

Also don't forget that if you transfer after the reset you can't take part in WvW until Friday, so get it done today..

Mxrz

Engineer hit 80. So that's every class now. This one was probably the easiest to gear up, 4000 HotW tokens was more than enough for rabid everything, grabbed an ascended amulet & accessories, and then some condition rings from all the fractals and poof--done. Doubt I'll ever use it outside of goofing around in WvW though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom