• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retro

I just sort of skimmed over the reddit threads but it seems the outrage isn't necessarily at the VIP ranks themselves, but that the Publisher made a public comment about not having them days before it was revealed that they did.

Oh, if that's the source of the outrage, then that's easy; they never said anything of the sort, at least not that I've heard of. That all sounds like forum outrage over things a developer 'promised'.

Zeroth

At least that image gallery introduced me to the concept of VIP. I wasn't aware that was found in the source code, and now I'm wondering how the game would be if it came to the western versions.

Jira

At least that image gallery introduced me to the concept of VIP. I wasn't aware that was found in the source code, and now I'm wondering how the game would be if it came to the western versions.

The reason we play GW2 is BECAUSE it doesn't do shit anywhere remotely like this. This kind of stuff doesn't fly in the west, period.

Proven

From what I've read, this may be par for the course or perhaps a little bit worse. But there are a number of Chinese gamers who are not happy with the golf course. Gamers who played on EU/NA servers and spread the word to other Chinese gamers.

The question for me is about the variables. How much of this are we hearing because us Western GW2 players are curious about the CN launch? How much are we hearing because there's a vocal minority there vs. a decent sized unrest?

I mean, look at F2P mobile games. There are a lot of people that put money into them. And there are people that will not touch them ever. Things might be like they are over there not just because CN people expect it, but because it's the most profitable business model they can wrangle out of enough players.

Edit: Wasn't the quote that "There will be no VIP Pass [as seen from the data mined image]!" and then they put it in anyway by altering a few pieces and changing the name to "Royal Pass." So they stuck to the letter of what they said but still did what they wanted.

I think we're hearing about it due to Chinese players who either wanted or expected the game to have minimal changes when it was released in their region who are upset that's not the case. So they're being a very loud online presence. I'm not sure what they're expecting to do by notifying the US and EU players about it. It's pretty obvious that our markets wouldn't tolerate such models and due to that would side with those players off hand.. but our opinion means squat to their publisher so it really doesn't serve any positive purpose.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The question for me is about the variables. How much of this are we hearing because us Western GW2 players are curious about the CN launch? How much are we hearing because there's a vocal minority there vs. a decent sized unrest?
Yeah, good point, I appreciate the perspective. None of this is objective and who knows what's really going on in their beta. The scale of the endeavor isn't going to be captured even by their "reddit"

Mxrz

Hopefully ANet really has nothing to do with how it turned out. It might be the market over there but that is some evil stuff. There are probably EA executives out there that 'gasmed in their seats looking at that imgur album.

Are Arah pugs a thing, or do people just buy runs these days?

Retro

So during the Ready Up broadcast, they announced that they have "a lot of cool stuff happening, which we're going to start talking about soon". To that point, they're doing weekly Ready Up broadcasts for the next 3 weeks. Which means they feature update is probably going to start getting some news soon and the update itself will probably be shortly thereafter.

They'll be doing shows on the 21st, 28th and 4th, then start again then up on the 18th... with nothing on the 11th. It's looking more and more like April 15th, or maybe the 8th (though their current cycle would make that an off-week).

So during the Ready Up broadcast, they announced that they have "a lot of cool stuff happening, which we're going to start talking about soon". To that point, they're doing weekly Ready Up broadcasts for the next 3 weeks. Which means they feature update is probably going to start getting some news soon and the update itself will probably be shortly thereafter.

They'll be doing shows on the 21st, 28th and 4th, then start again then up on the 18th... with nothing on the 11th. It's looking more and more like April 15th, or maybe the 8th (though their current cycle would make that an off-week).
Weren't the artwork in the background totally new?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hopefully ANet really has nothing to do with how it turned out. It might be the market over there but that is some evil stuff. There are probably EA executives out there that 'gasmed in their seats looking at that imgur album.

Are Arah pugs a thing, or do people just buy runs these days?
I've pugged 2 arah paths. Went pretty well actually. People trying for it seem to more or less know that they need to play it safe and listen. But definitely consider that some might be new to it completely and need things spelled out.

Um... the bit at the end looked kinda unfamiliar, but it didn't strike me as anything really NEW. I'll have to rewatch it when it's up.

There was 4-5 that I had never before. I do not have the artbook so they might be in there but I don't know.

1. Was a clear artwork of some huge jungly creature, it did not look like the husks but it also did not look like a dragon.
2. One looked like a desert, but a desert like in US not in Arabia, which kinda reminded me of Maguma.
3. Another one had a row of dragon statues that looked like their noses were touching, and like they were lining a huge chasam. Kinda of like a dragon statue tunnel.
4. Looked like an underground tower in a desert area.
5. Looked like a new town but it looked very similar to ebonhawke.

Proven

There was 4-5 that I had never before. I do not have the artbook so they might be in there but I don't know.

1. Was a clear artwork of some huge jungly creature, it did not look like the husks but it also did not look like a dragon.
2. One looked like a desert, but a desert like in US not in Arabia, which kinda reminded me of Maguma.
3. Another one had a row of dragon statues that looked like their noses were touching, and like they were lining a huge chasam. Kinda of like a dragon statue tunnel.
4. Looked like an underground tower in a desert area.
5. Looked like a new town but it looked very similar to ebonhawke.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. If that's the "hint" they were talking about for the feature patch, I'll be bowled over. Maguuma preview.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. If that's the "hint" they were talking about for the feature patch, I'll be bowled over. Maguuma preview.

I'm pretty sure the post she made was in the PvP forum so she talking about PvP stuff which she didn't reveal anything besides that she is looking forward to a new mode in PvP.

Proven

I should mention that based on forum posts over the week explaining what'll happen in the maintenance patch, it sounds like they're going to change the rank up system entirely. It sounds like they want to flatten the curve completely out between each rank up, and make it essentially a secondary level up system just like WvW ranks. And whenever you gain a PvP rank you'll get a reward chest like you do in WvW.

I'm sorry.

LiveSpartan235

Neo Member
With the new game modes being confirmed it would seem new maps would also be confirmed since Evan Lesh had this to say awhile back.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/pvp/pvp/Poll-New-Map-or-New-Gamemode/first#post3588253
Why not both? New game mode on a new map.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/pvp/pvp/Poll-New-Map-or-New-Gamemode/first#post3588344
We’ve shown our prototype maps already for new game modes. Our current maps really are designed specifically for conquest. Trying to make a new game mode work on existing maps is really tough because options are so limited. Not to say it’s impossible, but I believe creating a map for a specific game mode really makes it fun to play.

I do find it amusing that the serious grindfest they've turned the game into in China, is the kind of thing a lot of people wished GW2 was - something that doled out skills and abilities along a long, linear path, so there was always a new carrot to chase all the way up to 80. But when it's presented like that, lots of nope.gif from the reddit community. I wonder where those people who wished the game was like that are right now.

Retro

So I just saw that Blizzard is planning to let you auto-level a character to 90... for $60 per character (if you pre-order the next expansion, they throw one in for free). Not only do I have all sorts of objections about power-leveling a single player costing more than the entire expansion (itself $50, the full price of GW2, by the way), but I'm also kind of sad to see it automatically giving that character level 90 gear, a full set of bags, leveling their crafting (if the character is already 60) and teleporting them straight to the new leveling zones. As far as I know, it does not brush your teeth or wipe your ass, maybe that comes with the Collector's Edition.

World of Warcraft; the game is so fun, you can pay not to play it. I just don't get it.

I wonder where those people who wished the game was like that are right now.

Doing chores and saving up their allowance for the above.

I honestly think they're doing it half for "convenience" since people will pay for it, and half to get rid of the 2nd hand character market. My retired raid resto shaman was worth at least $500 - even though I last played him before Mists of Panda - but now thanks to that deal, *all* characters are only worth $60 and then change for newest tier gear. They've effectively devalued all characters and set a baseline worth. Can't tell if slimy, or smart.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
that article said:
Although you can obtain a character boost all the way to 90 by pre-ordering Warlords of Draenor, you'll also be able to purchase them freely from the in game store. For $60 and under the "services" category, it's as easy as hitting the token in the character select window. Surprisingly, Blizzard have actually been pretty generous with what they offer for your money. Not only do you get a level boost, but you'll also get level 90 gear,
fuckthisfuckthisfuckthisfuckthisfuckthisfuckthisfuckthisfuckthisfuckthisfuckthisfuckthisfuckthisfuckthisfuckthisfuckthisfuckthisfuckthisfuckthisfuckthisfuckthisfuckthisfuckthisfuckthisfuckthisfuckthisfuckthisfuckthisfuckthisfuckthisfuckthisfuckthisfuckthisfuckthisfuckthisfuckthisfuckthisfuckthis hoooooo my, have my simple sensibilities been offended by this concept.
Can't tell if slimy, or smart.
you seem to have ruled out the possibility of both

Jira

And people still think a sub "prevents" a "p2w" cash shop. lol

It amuses me to see people in ESO and Wildstar threads where they still try to bring up the whole "Sub fees allow for faster content development, better servers, etc" when we all know that's complete bullshit. The business model has no bearing on any of that, it's entirely up to the developer to put in the work to get it done. Look at how often content comes out for GW2 (2 weeks), Rift (2 months), and SWTOR(2 months). Then compare that to FFXIV (3 months) and WoW ( avg 2.5 months but currently on the 6th month with no new content and won't have anything unless you buy the new expansion at the end of the year). EVE is roughly every 6 months. So as you can see, the games with sub fees actually receive content less frequently than those that don't have one. Don't get me started on the server crap that plagues every MMO not named GW2.

It amuses me to see people in ESO and Wildstar threads where they still try to bring up the whole "Sub fees allow for faster content development, better servers, etc" when we all know that's complete bullshit. The business model has no bearing on any of that, it's entirely up to the developer to put in the work to get it done. Look at how often content comes out for GW2 (2 weeks), Rift (2 months), and SWTOR(2 months). Then compare that to FFXIV (3 months) and WoW ( avg 2.5 months but currently on the 6th month with no new content and won't have anything unless you buy the new expansion at the end of the year). EVE is roughly every 6 months. So as you can see, the games with sub fees actually receive content less frequently than those that don't have one. Don't get me started on the server crap that plagues every MMO not named GW2.

Yup, it's never been true despite people being willing to believe it. A Dev/Publisher does need to generate money consistently in order to stay in business but the claims of more or better content and servers is completely wrong. Not even the old claim of the community being better in Sub games is completely false. Sub games have just as bad a community as F2P or B2P and in some cases much worse. I

The only time I think a sub was okay, in context, was UO. The nature of the game meant it hired dungeon masters to live roleplay, it was still early in the life of the MMO so server upkeep was more expensive, the sub used to expand and maintain, etc. But that was about it. MMOS after that started to become 'fixed' in their nature, static as it were - no need to hire people to act out roles during live events, and so on.

Retro

Gawd Dayum it's been a while since I've done fractals, forgot how fun they are. Thanks to Varix, Xeris and Grizz for putting up with my drunk brother and getting it done even though it ran a bit longer than anticipated. Especially Grizz, since this was his first fractal run ever. Hope ya had fun, send me your repair bill.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Gawd Dayum it's been a while since I've done fractals, forgot how fun they are. Thanks to Varix, Xeris and Grizz for putting up with my drunk brother and getting it done even though it ran a bit longer than anticipated. Especially Grizz, since this was his first fractal run ever. Hope ya had fun, send me your repair bill.
Funny, just had a fractal run for the first time in a while too, was quite a blast. didn't even wipe to Mai and got an exotic back piece in the offing.

Bumble awful likes that bow btw, that was very cool of you :)
The only time I think a sub was okay, in context, was UO. The nature of the game meant it hired dungeon masters to live roleplay, it was still early in the life of the MMO so server upkeep was more expensive, the sub used to expand and maintain, etc. But that was about it. MMOS after that started to become 'fixed' in their nature, static as it were - no need to hire people to act out roles during live events, and so on.
that's the best justification I've ever heard for a sub. I'd have paid a sub to take part in a Tale in the Desert, come to think of it.

To my knowledge setting your minimum performance settings to 100% under the performance plan options gets the same results as unparking the CPUs. Plus you don't have to download another program/script or mess with the registry yourself.

3.4GHz is what's giving you lower fps. The turbo boost to 3.8 only affects one core, not all four. Overclocking affects all cores. Reflections take a lot of CPU resources.

Dawg

To my knowledge setting your minimum performance settings to 100% under the performance plan options gets the same results as unparking the CPUs. Plus you don't have to download another program/script or mess with the registry yourself.

3.4GHz is what's giving you lower fps. The turbo boost to 3.8 only affects one core, not all four. Overclocking affects all cores. Reflections take a lot of CPU resources.

Wow, I didn't know this. I'm gonna try overclocking it real soon, I'm just not sure how far I'll get with Haswell. It gets warmer much faster, I'd be happy with 4,2 GHz tbh.

I have a noctua cooler so it shouldn't be that bad.

Retro

Since somebody was asking last night: Transmutation Crystals are on sale today only!

His first time in fractals, everyone else rusty and/or drunk, and Retro chooses level 11.

Edit: Although Thermanova was the only one we wiped on.

I honestly forgot Agony kicked in at that level, even though it was minor. We pulled it off, and the rough ones are always more fun (or at least memorable) than the easy ones.

That last ditch attempt at the Thaumanova Anomaly was also impressive as hell. There was no where left to flee if that wasn't the last couple hits or so. It was also kind of poetic that this was the first time I've done the Mai Trinn fight since it was originally released, and you and I did it then too. I always remember that one because Moose Rider was an unstoppable dodging machine.

Need to start doing Fractals more often, though the first time I get dredge I'm gonna change that tune quickly. Or swamp.

Retro

Fractals are a set of 3 ten minute dungeons right? I might like that!

It's 3 mini-dungeons and a boss Fractal. Not all of them are 10 minutes. Swamp can go extremely fast if everyone knows the right route. Underwater can go quickly as well. Some are a bit longer (Dredge is probably the worst). An hour is usually a good chunk of time to allow, though it can run over (like last night was closer to two, I think).

...Were you in a Spinal Tap kind of mood Retro?

Quite exciting, this computer magic.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
dredge isn't "probably the worst," it is awful. I literally like every other fractal, and the dredge fractal boss, but the fractal itself is a frustration trial. I could go full on AVGN about it. what were they thinking!?

After days of trying I finally got into Tarnish Coast, holy shit this server has a lot of people, there's an OF for Divinity's reach, that map was dead on Yaks bend..

GrizzNKev

Banned

His first time in fractals, everyone else rusty and/or drunk, and Retro chooses level 11.

Edit: Although Thermanova was the only one we wiped on.

Like I said, it was still tons of fun and now I'm itching to go back in for another to see even more new stuff.

For whatever reason one of my teams has scheduled a meeting from 4-8 PM PST today. That means I have to miss guild stuff for the fourth week in a row. UGH! Apparently we're meeting during spring break to do something like coax the 'epic' out of our game in the last run to gold. I'm all for committing to my work, but time off should be time off unless there's an emergency. Sorry :(

Mxrz

SoR no fight back!

Funny though.

Checked the WvW forum for various laughs. If you replaced "DB" with "SBI," it would be exactly as it looked prior to season 1. Same people, same doom and gloom, same empty threats to quit and all. So they nuked the match sub forum?

Levyne

Banned
Wow, I didn't know this. I'm gonna try overclocking it real soon, I'm just not sure how far I'll get with Haswell. It gets warmer much faster, I'd be happy with 4,2 GHz tbh.

I have a noctua cooler so it shouldn't be that bad.

what's your cpu? I have a 4770k but at 4.6 it runs unstable and I bluescreen. So I go at 4.4 and I saw significant improvement compared to stock 3.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom