• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retro

I picked the worst damn day and time to go run errands; this thing literally dropped as I was heading out to get a haircut (I was dangerously deep into pre-mullet phase) and buying cat food.

So, new approach to traits. They took care of the three bullet points on my trait revamp; traits can be changed anywhere, can be changed for free, and the point distribution is made easier. I had also toyed with the idea of spreading the more powerful "Skill shift" traits to trainers hidden around the world, but this is doing just about the same thing.

The Guardian trait is a step in the wrong direction though, it is literally "have more stat!" Otherwise, everything looks good and I'm eager to try that Warrior trait, as I encountered a rather nasty dual-axe warrior in WvW last night who didn't give me a chance to even hit her.

Status ailments in GW2 feel very ephemeral, like they exist mostly in "number space", a holdover from mathmath RPG numberrolling, and slightly at odds with the action shootbang of GW2's combat. Cripple is like, the most "visible" status that makes sense in how it controls your movement. Kinda wish the other status ailments were given more tangible effects, other than 'now I'm green and healing is nerfed' or 'now I hurt if I walk some more'. I don't even know what fire damage really does, other than just a damage tick while it's on? Guess I should wiki.

I had a big, long rant on the MMOChamp forums way back when about how shitty WoW's status effects were, and how I would group them into a single category (for example, WoW had like 7 or 8 different flavors of 'Blind') and give them less 'mathy' effects and more 'gamey' effects. Here's what I ended up with;

azura3aup9.jpg

Status effects would be applied in duration-based increments; inflicts 3 seconds of Poisoned, or inflicts 9 seconds of slowed. The UI element used rings to signify how much time was left; 3 seconds is one ring, 6 is two, 9 is three, so you can quickly understand the severity based just on the size of the icons. The Status icons were always kept on-screen and color-coded, so seeing them grow in relation to each other allowed you to quickly grasp the situation without having to look at the icon or a numerical timer / stack indicator.

But more importantly, each status also had real effects on gameplay you could see, feel and quickly understand, modeled on FPSers and platformers. Blind, for example, is modeled heavily on Rainbow Six 3's Flashbang effect; at 1-3 seconds it makes everything blurry so it's harder to see. At 4-6 seconds, big black splotches appear on your screen and then slowly fade away. At the 7-9 second mark, your screen was just completely black. At no point did you ever lose your target in that process, you just couldn't see where they are or what they're doing. Which sounds insane, but much more interesting than what WoW was doing (simple stat reduction) or even GW2 (a single attack is negated).

They all worked like that; "Slowed" didn't actually make your movement speed slower. It made your controls 'muddy' and slow to respond. You'd hold down the movement key and it would take a fraction of a second longer to respond. The more duration, the muddier it felt. Of course your character also gained a funny walk to boot.

"Disarmed" made your attack button feel sluggish; you'd hit it and there'd be a slight delay, but it never actually made your attack speed slower. The more duration, the worse it felt, sometimes actually ignoring inputs. Same story as slowed; your characters attacks took on a different look.

"Shocked" was fun; 1-3 seconds reversed your forward and backwards input. 4-6 reversed your left and right. 7-9 flat-out scrambled them (up is left, right is up, etc.). You could totally compensate for it, just like old games where your controls were flipped.

"Poisoned" was less interesting, because it was mostly mechanic; whenever you moved, you lost health and energy in larger and larger chunks the higher the duration. It was the one I was least happy with, because the only 'gamey' element was that your screen just grew more washed out color-wise until everything was sickly-green grayscale.

This is already long, and pointless, but one of the cool things that made the approach interesting (while giving it a way to avoid being too unfair) is that you could apply more than 9 seconds of a status, but anything over caused it to 'burst' and a new effect to occur. For example, Blind made your screen completely white for 1 second and then everything faded and blurred over the span of 2 seconds, but more importantly you lost your target lock. And then the condition immediately reset and the player was even made immune to it for a short period. So the enemy had to carefully keep the applications up to keep you in the 'sweet spot', or could 'burst' the condition to make something worse happen, at the expense of having to start applying all over again. A stealth-oriented character would enjoy keeping you blind so he could slink behind you, but his victim could still see the target reticule and kind of track him (though not see what he was doing effectively enough to evade or block it). If friends showed up to help or he just wanted to disappear for whatever reason, causing the effect to burst so his target couldn't track him was useful.

Those effects were all very fun too. Slowed actually unbalanced you and made you fall onto your back in a prone position where enemies could spike you for more damage. Disarmed made your weapon fly away from your character in a random direction and you had to walk over it to re-equip it. Shocked made your controls scramble a different every two seconds for a little while.

And there were lots of nuances to it too; you could find skills that softened the effects (one of my favorite was "Blind Fighting" which caused a 'wireframe ghost' of your target to remain clearly visible no matter how blind you were). There were medicines you could make that let you resist a number of applications entirely.

Sorry, long post, but your comment reminded me of how much fun I had bringing RPG Status effects into the realm of tangible gameplay effects.

I see. I didn't get a chance to read the entire thing (at work). What I don't see is how making it harder to acquire traits is supposed to make it simpler and easier to mess around with builds. If you're already 80 it's great but, for new characters it doesn't make sense to me.

EDIT: That's not a criticism, I'm trying to think of it from my perspective....which is a casual gamer who likes to play when he has time.

So...our current builds will be wiped trait wise and we'll have to do stuff throughout the world to get traits back? Is that how that will work? I didn't play more than a few hours or so of GW1 so I'm not familiar with the system they are discussing.

Currently made characters will have all "old" traits unlocked. Only *new* traits will have to be earned on currently created characters. For characters made after the Feature Pack releases, *all* traits will need to be unlocked using the new system.

OMG them trait changes. Sounds awesome.
7drHiqr.gif

I see. I didn't get a chance to read the entire thing (at work). What I don't see is how making it harder to acquire traits is supposed to make it simpler and easier to mess around with builds. If you're already 80 it's great but, for new characters it doesn't make sense to me.
Well, with the money saved not spending silver on trait resets, you could buy traits from trainers. I suspect that the traits themselves won't take onerous effort to aquire, though. Doing an event or personal story mission or even a dungeon isn't that bad. (unless it's arah)

LiveSpartan235

Neo Member
Ready Up livestream to preview new map with no capture points and presentation on the new traits.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/for...-Mar-21-12pm-New-Traits-Map/first#post3785028

This episode of Ready Up, we’ll be talking about a lot of the things you have all been waiting for! First up, We’ll have Hugh Norfolk and Darrin Claypool on the show to preview a new map that has no capture points. Next, Josh Davis has prepared a presentation to show off all the new traits, while the designers Karl McLain and Roy Cronacher talk about them.

When & Where:
March 21st, 12pm PDT
Official Guild Wars 2 Twitch Channel

We’ll see you there!

It puts more value on the traits, it adds in a carrot/stick to getting traits like GW1 had with capturing Elite skills (I hated that stuff, but people seem to like it), etc. It's 'gameplay', in a loose sense of the word. People want to feel like they're working towards something all the time in an MMO. People are terrible at just having fun for fun's sake.

So, they added some more progression space into getting traits, whereas before it was just hit level 20, buy a book, hit 40, buy a book, hit 60, buy a book. Now, you can save on buying the trait at each level, and go do stuff to get them for 'free' instead.

Retropost(tm).

All this, is solid gold.

OMG them trait changes. Sounds awesome.
7drHiqr.gif

Well, with the money saved not spending silver on trait resets, you could buy traits from trainers. I suspect that the traits themselves won't take onerous effort to aquire, though. Doing an event or personal story mission or even a dungeon isn't that bad. (unless it's arah)

Yeah, as long as it's not tied to something like the new Wurm fight it would be alright. At least it will be a way to get people to run different dungeon paths once in a while.

I...People are terrible at just having fun for fun's sake....

Yeah, sometimes I feel like an idiot for enjoying this game.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'd play Retro's game above. Would be fun and frantic PvP. All those effects would have to do something completely different against AI mobs who don't have senses or use controls though :D
I see. What I don't see is how making it harder to acquire traits is supposed to make it simpler and easier to mess around with builds. If you're already 80 it's great but, for new characters it doesn't make sense to me.
Hmm, you're definitely missing something.

• Not making it harder to acquire traits, unless you mean having to physically go to a profession trainer is substantially more onerous than opening your skill screen. You can buy them outright, and the trait tiers no longer have associated costs at all.
  • In addition to the ability to buy them you can now seek out quests throughout the world to acquire them at no cost. This is a horizontal progression addition and should extend the playability of existing content throughout the world.
  • There are 40 new traits for you to acquire, regardless of whether your character is 80 or not or whether you buy them or seek them out.
  • The changes to acquiring traits aren't meant to make it simpler and easier to mess around with builds; the changes included for that purpose are allowing trait resets from anywhere and making them free, along with simplifying the point allocation system and eliminating the ability to put "partial" trait amounts in for players that don't understand the system yet.
It's 'gameplay', in a loose sense of the word. People want to feel like they're working towards something all the time in an MMO. People are terrible at just having fun for fun's sake.
Maybe ease up a little on this branch? You can still just buy them all and not have to partake in the "gameplay." Seeking out something specific in the world is more interesting to me than leveling up and spending a point and in this instance I don't really think that makes me terrible at having fun.

I'd play Retro's game above. Would be fun and frantic PvP. All those effects would have to do something completely different against AI mobs who don't have senses or use controls though :D

Hmm, you're definitely missing something.

• Not making it harder to acquire traits, unless you mean having to physically go to a profession trainer is substantially more onerous than opening your skill screen. You can buy them outright, and the trait tiers no longer have associated costs at all.
  • In addition to the ability to buy them you can now seek out quests throughout the world to acquire them at no cost. This is a horizontal progression addition and should extend the playability of existing content throughout the world.
  • There are 40 new traits for you to acquire, regardless of whether your character is 80 or not or whether you buy them or seek them out.
  • The changes to acquiring traits aren't meant to make it simpler and easier to mess around with builds; the changes included for that purpose are allowing trait resets from anywhere and making them free, along with simplifying the point allocation system and eliminating the ability to put "partial" trait amounts in for players that don't understand the system yet.

A direct quote is “We want it to be much easier to experiment with and learn new builds as you explore the world of Tyria."

I was thinking of it being tied to some ridiculously grindish requirement. They probably won't be though.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
“We want it to be much easier to experiment with and learn new builds as you explore the world of Tyria."
That sentence is used as a callout (let me know if you need to clarify what this is) early on. Look at the context in which it actually appears:
We’ve made a few key changes to the way you can refund your traits:
The button to instantly refund all traits, previously seen only in structured PvP areas, has become game-wide.

Refunding traits is now free across the game: refund your traits any time you’re not in combat or in a competitive PvP match!

A minus button has been added to each trait line directly below the plus button, which allows you to remove a single trait point at a time.

This means that any time you’re out in the world adventuring and want to investigate the possibilities of changing a trait, you can! We want it to be much easier to experiment with and learn new builds as you explore the world of Tyria.
Sensible?

Maybe ease up a little on this branch? You can still just buy them all and not have to partake in the "gameplay." Seeking out something specific in the world is more interesting to me than leveling up and spending a point and in this instance I don't really think that makes me terrible at having fun.

I think my post came across wrong. It was more in the line of, some people can't play MMOs unless there is a constant tier to grind for, a constant shiny to chase - whereas GW2 right now can be 100% fun and enjoyable just *playing* it - the moment-to-moment combat is where the game excels. But that isn't enough for everyone, especially those that only get fun from grinding, farming, or always filling up a bar. A lot of games these days are pratically half bars to fill, and half gameplay. XP systems inhabit *everything*.

I *really* like the idea of having quests/events to go do to get the trait for free. And I'm sure it'll alleviate a lot of the 'game is boring' complaints, even though it is, overall, a kind of meaningless addition, padding almost, just to artificially lengthen out a mechanic (which, yes, you can skip entirely just by buying it). It's the psychology behind needing this kind of padding, that I'm talking about, bemusedly. It's 100% in the realm of 'MMO mechanic that exists because MMO'.

There's even zero *narrative* support for it (this is just my musings). Why do you learn '+5% damage to Fire Ticks' Trait when going into a dungeon and fighting a boss? That's why it feels like padding to me. It's thematically weird. I mean, Gift of Exploration makes sense, since you went and explored. Gift of Metal involves tons of metals. Skill points involve (generally) doing things that take some skill to get. But attaching traits to random events screams filler content. Capturing elite skills of certain monsters even made a bit more sense, since - that monster was of that profession that used it, and actually used the skill. But learning 'Read the Wind' by securing the Promenade of the Gods? It's practically a fetchquest :p

Not saying it's a bad thing, just that it exists to fill a void created by a need to always be moving towards a game-created goal, instead of a self-created one. Curious to see how it'll play out in the actual game though, since right now it's all just in ideaspace.

Zeroth

Existing characters that have reached 80 will already have all the traits unlocked they had before, with the *exception* of the new ones added. For those, you either go buy them at the trait trainer, or go do the event the skill is attached to, to unlock it.

Not only lv 80 characters, all characters. If you create a character now, you might save some hassle later on.

A direct quote is “We want it to be much easier to experiment with and learn new builds as you explore the world of Tyria."

I was thinking of it being tied to some ridiculously grindish requirement. They probably won't be though.

These changes focus on improving the ease of use for spending points and selecting traits as well as how major traits are acquired.

This is in the first paragraph, second sentence of the blog.

You can find trait guides by completing specific content in the world, like story dungeons, minidungeons, WvW, personal story, specific bosses, and discovering certain areas on the world map.

Sounds like it's just there to give people another reason to do some of the stuff that's already there.

Korten

Banned
So question, all of the traits we have right now, are we going to lose those or do we just need to have to get the new ones they're adding?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Not only lv 80 characters, all characters. If you create a character now, you might save some hassle later on.
Well... I mean you unlock your traits as you level. I very much doubt that if you haven't unlocked your Grandmaster traits by April 15th that you'd get them the old way versus the new (I am not convinced of there being any hassle though :p).

No need for clarification; I see now. My main concern was that they would allow someone who puts more time in to have an advantage over someone who is more skilled. The idea, in my head and as it currently is, is that it takes roughly the same amount of time to get to 80 for most at which point everyone has the same traits unlocked.

EDIT: That or I will be required to do something I don't really want to do to acquire the trait I want. I guess I could just buy it in that instance though.

xeris

haha, no, wow. that would be crazy and I'd actually like it, but ArenaNet doesn't want their HQ burned to the ground by people with 40 80s.

edit: Speak of the devil.

Oddly enough, I hate the new changes anyway. Doubt anyone here cares why and I realize I'm entering "Old Man Yells at Clouds" territory so I'll spare y'all from the reasons.

There should be a similar Engineer trait to the Ranger's "Spirits Unbound". Maybe they can call it "Turret Mobility" that places little squeaky wheels on each one, then ties them to the Engineer with a string so they follow you around.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/...s_unleashed_upcoming_new_trait_system/cg7fgey

I so badly want a drawing of that now - a baby Charr Engineer holding on to a string that's tugging along a set of woodblock turrets.

Yeah, I think this kind of confirms that MMOs are not for me. Much like I hated all of the crafting in TF2 I've grown tired of the constant tinkering in this game. As such, I'm retiring from GW2. It was fun playing with you all.

This is no different than the 2.0 patch for Diablo III. Games often get overhauled via patches, MMO and F2P games especially. It's the nature of the beast, hard to avoid these days.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/...s_unleashed_upcoming_new_trait_system/cg7fgey

I so badly want a drawing of that now - a baby Charr Engineer holding on to a string that's tugging along a set of woodblock turrets.

This is no different than the 2.0 patch for Diablo III. Games often get overhauled via patches, MMO and F2P games especially. It's the nature of the beast, hard to avoid these days.

No, it's much, much different than Loot 2.0. I won't bother going into details about why though because, in all honesty, I don't really want to debate it...lol. You are correct about MMOs and F2P games though, which is why I say MMOs probably aren't my thing.

Ashodin

Ready Up livestream to preview new map with no capture points and presentation on the new traits.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/for...-Mar-21-12pm-New-Traits-Map/first#post3785028

We'll get to see 'em all? NNGH.

So it's been a while since I've made a meaningful post in here (been playing the holy HELL out of Diablo 3, no pun intended).

I didn't expect ArenaNet to drop the blogpost bomb. These types of articles are the ones I love most from developers: ones that explain "after this, nothing will be the same".

And how right they are. The trait rework is absolutely genius; no one can get their build totally wrong now. It's really all about choice and how things will matter regardless. Removing player error in not selecting enough points in a trait line (as well as adding a minus button so players can understand that they can reset the line by doing that or the reset button) is welcomed.

The reset button for traits being game-wide and FREE is honestly much desired.

Re-adding the ability to "find" traits and learn them (even though most players will probably just buy them) is absolutely breathtaking. That they want to add this kind of progression to the game is just totally worth it. I can't wait to see them add more traits that are hidden behind interesting "challenges". I plan to do all the trait challenges on my Guardian for sure! (and mesmer, and Ranger!)

Now on to the traits themselves. The Guardian one is poopy. Just extra vit? What about something game-changing? How about instead of Vit, making it so that the Guardian gets an extra "bubble" of health beyond Aegis? That when it pops, you get another Aegis that absorbs damage to the Guardian for a certain amount (modified by Vitality?).

There could be also interesting Vitality changes that we don't know about, like Miktar said.

With the other classes, I can see how those changes be awesome. Engineer one sounds much needed for defense, the Ranger one sounds OP, and the Mesmer one sounds totally broken. But we'll know more as things shape out with the new blog posts.

In related topics, how crazy is it that they're having a livestream tomorrow, and TWO MORE BLOGS!? Information overload! I can't handle the awesome!

I'm actually really loving the way they've got things set up now. They can draw the teams to make Living Story, then slow down, stop, and everyone works on a feature pack. That way we get meaningful story content, and then meaningful mechanic content.

I'm super excited to see tomorrow's blogs, as I'm expecting a new weapon skill or two added to classes. Who knows!

This has gotten more excited than I thought it would, and I'm eager to see these changes in the game.

It's actually VERY smart of ANet to detail these changes when the patch is right around the corner. Normally a big company would detail these things that are months and months out, and you would see a playerbase take a sharp dive until those changes went live. The fact that these are so close means that players can leave, but it won't be long before they're back.

Also saw the list of releases for the blog posts.

Notice how April 1 is not there..... ;)

No, it's much, much different than Loot 2.0. I won't bother going into details about why though because, in all honesty, I don't really want to debate it...lol. You are correct about MMOs and F2P games though, which is why I say MMOs probably aren't my thing.

Fair enough. Yeah, if you're not having fun, or don't like big sweeping changes to systems, no reason to keep playing.

xeris

Not sure if I'm going to quit yet, but these particular changes have killed my desire to log in. I'll probably get on to do dailies still till the changes. After that dunno. I've got a feeling that the skills will be way to expensive for me to buy and I've got a strong suspicion that I'll be gimped in new content without em, so don't really see the point.

Ashodin

Not sure if I'm going to quit yet, but these particular changes have killed my desire to log in. I'll probably get on to do dailies still till the changes. After that dunno. I've got a feeling that the skills will be way to expensive for me to buy and I've got a strong suspicion that I'll be gimped in new content without em, so don't really see the point.

Wow xeris really? I guess having multiple characters takes its toll.

I don't think the acquisition of the remaining Traits you need are going to be as big of a deal as people think. It'll probably cost skill points to buy, so... no trouble there. Instantly done.

Or you just zone to the area, do the event (which will be easy at the start since many are going to be doing it for that reason).

Meanwhile, a 2 minute Lupi kill, all Engi, all Flamethrower. No reflects. Wut.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVJEGpmQvz8&feature=youtu.be

Ashodin

I don't think the acquisition of the remaining Traits you need are going to be as big of a deal as people think. It'll probably cost skill points to buy, so... no trouble there. Instantly done.

Or you just zone to the area, do the event (which will be easy at the start since many are going to be doing it for that reason).

Meanwhile, a 2 minute Lupi kill, all Engi, all Flamethrower. No reflects. Wut.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVJEGpmQvz8&feature=youtu.be

But xeris has nearly 30 characters. He has to buy 120 traits.

xeris

Wow xeris really? I guess having multiple characters takes its toll.

Honestly it has nothing to do with multiple characters and that was kinda a stupid assumption. I just really don't like the new system. I was never that nuts about the system in GW1 and I had a grand total of two characters there.

Oh and just noticed the characters thing. Why do you think I'd even bother getting them for most of my toons? I only really play about 4 of them regularly. I'm not an end-game kinda guy. I much prefer leveling characters in different ways.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
you mean the traits, eh? might be worth just seeing what it's actually like in practice. the being gimped in new content without them aspect especially doesn't seem likely or even practical to me.

On the other hand why even log on to do dailies if you don't feel like playing? :p

Ashodin

Honestly it has nothing to do with multiple characters and that was kinda a stupid assumption. I just really don't like the new system. I was never that nuts about the system in GW1 and I had a grand total of two characters there.

Oh and just noticed the characters thing. Why do you think I'd even bother getting them for most of my toons? I only really play about 4 of them regularly. I'm not an end-game kinda guy. I much prefer leveling characters in different ways.

Ah okay then. I was thinking it was something to do with your characters and not how you liked the system. My mistake!

xeris

you mean the traits, eh? might be worth just seeing what it's actually like in practice. the being gimped in new content without them aspect especially doesn't seem likely or even practical to me.

On the other hand why even log on to do dailies if you don't feel like playing? :p

Cause I like some of the people? If you'd prefer I don't though, I don't have to.

Ashodin

Xeris we love having you around, but at the same time, I don't want you to feel compelled to play because of us. If it's not fun for you to play any more man, you can play other things - we're still on mumble, and here.

xeris

Xeris we love having you around, but at the same time, I don't want you to feel compelled to play because of us. If it's not fun for you to play any more man, you can play other things - we're still on mumble, and here.

It's fun now, but most likely won't be for me after the change. I could be wrong. Trust me, I wouldn't be playing just for y'all. On the off chance I change my mind I don't want to stop the progression on my current project character. I may also decide to farm gold to buy the one or two new traits I may care about if I stay.

Don't know how this works and how fast you can regain the traits, my opinion can change once the patch goes live, but for players with multiple characters this seems like a major fucking headache, it's like they forcing you to choose ONE CHARACTER...

Lunar15

I think we should probably wait until all of the changes are revealed before jumping to conclusions like "oh this game isn't for me anymore".

xeris

I think we should probably wait until all of the changes are revealed before jumping to conclusions like "oh this game isn't for me anymore".

I'm leaving it open, which is why I'm not quitting cold turkey. Just dunno what they could reveal that would make me happy at this point.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Just to clear up any remaining misconceptions, there's no "regaining" anything, you retain all traits you had access to on all your characters that had access to them already. Then there are 5 new grandmaster traits being added per class... and if it's a time concern realistically you can't have 30 points in more than two trait lines... so it would mean getting the one or two of the 5 that you wanted to use by either of the provided methods (just buy, or "quest"). The one example of a "quest" for a Grandmaster trait we're shown is to do Gates of Arah, which takes less time than Lyssa or Balthazar for reference.

Retro

Oh, that's in there;
Blind
Effect (Enemy): The enemy stumbles near the closest target (friend or foe) and may attack.
Burst (Enemy): The enemy remains more or less stationary, attacking at any target (friend or foe) that comes near.

Slow
Effect (Enemy): Reduces enemy movement speed by 30%.
Burst (Enemy): Knocked down to prone state. When prone, the victim’s Defense is reduced by half.

Disarmed
Effect (Enemy): Reduces attack speed (fast becomes slow, slow becomes very slow).
Burst (Enemy): Weapon removed and thrown several feet away in a random direction.

Shock
Effect (Enemy): Reduces movement speed by 15% and attack speed by x. Allows for ‘friendly fire.’
Burst (Enemy): The enemy is dazed, remaining stationary and inactive.

Poison
Effect (Enemy): Enemy health and stamina are depleted at a rate of x / sec. at all times the condition is active.
Burst (Enemy): Enemy health and stamina are depleted at a rate of y / sec. at all times the condition is active.​
I'll have to link you to the google doc or something later. /shrug. There's bigger things to discuss and I feel like I'm side-tracking the hell out of the thread, and I have to take off again anyways.

jersoc

Don't know how this works and how fast you can regain the traits, my opinion can change once the patch goes live, but for players with multiple characters this seems like a major fucking headache, it's like they forcing you to choose ONE CHARACTER...

this game has never been very alt friendly imo. especially since they introduced ascended weapons and armor.

this game has never been very alt friendly imo. especially since they introduced ascended weapons and armor.

On the flip side, you can bank tons of currencies/resources with which to deck out alts quickly and easily. Levelling tomes, bankable skillpoints, etc. I always thought GW2 was more alt-friendly than every other MMO out there. After I got my Engie to 80, I had more than enough banked that once I got my Ranger to 80, he was in full exotics instantly, same with my Warrior and Guardian.

Mxrz

Not had time to process everything yet.

- Guardians, Vit & Toughness; Armor and health does make a big difference in my experience. In Ascended Soldiers, I can run straight at people with no fucks given. Between 21k health, Melandru runes, and food, Necros aren't even noticed until they shroud. Flipping to zerk changes things drastically. Its been a careful balance to learn. Sounds like things might be changed up soon, but I'm all for it. More health means I can free up stuff else where, I suppose.

Dye - Maybe they'll toss a bone to us that bought celestial, midnights, etc. multiple times.

Love the sound of the trait unlocks. There's a lot of content in this game that seems like its going to waste. Be nice if this gets people out in the world more.

It started before that, the change to the dungeons began the journey to one main, ignore the rest of your characters, I wanted TA armor badly, i got it in 2 days ran TA with 4 different characters, today you can't do that.

Arcteryx

All current traits will be usable on a new character in PvP. New traits that are added to the game will need to be unlocked though, similar to how new skills work.
https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/pvp/pvp/Traits-only-unlocked-by-PvE/first#post3785202

Super bad move IMO.

Considering the comment about being "similar" to the current system...that means you're looking at spending gold, SP, or PvE unlock to get traits in PvP, which goes against multiple statements ANet made in the past about PvP:

The addition of new skills and traits on a regular basis will of course mean expanded variety of abilities, builds, and tactics in PvP as well. As these additional skills and traits are added, they’ll be automatically unlocked and available for competitive PvP just like all existing skills/traits work today.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/looking-ahead-guild-wars-2-in-2013/

PvP was already in a bad state, these changes can do nothing but send it spiraling further downward. I'd hate to be a new player to PvP/the game and run into the issues with having to compete against people with special traits unlocked that you don't have access to.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm sure it would be gold but that's a terrible idea unless I'm missing something... hopefully something they'll be able to reconsider.

Retro

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/looking-ahead-guild-wars-2-in-2013/

PvP was already in a bad state, these changes can do nothing but send it spiraling further downward. I'd hate to be a new player to PvP/the game and run into the issues with having to compete against people with special traits unlocked that you don't have access to.

It clearly says all new traits will be "automatically unlocked and available for competitive PvP" How would a new player ever run into that situation where they're fighting other players have access to traits they don't if they're automatically unlocked?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom