• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today's two blog posts are up:

One of the balance changes coming in the April 2014 Feature Pack is the introduction of ferocity, a brand new stat that will affect your critical damage. Ferocity is being introduced to make bonus critical damage easier to understand, more easily scaled across the whole game, and to help foster a healthy balance environment that encourages players to experiment with their builds.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/learn-about-critical-damage-changes/

Yesterday we introduced you to some of the upcoming changes to the traits system. Those changes, while exciting, are just one part of the balance updates bundled into the April 2014 Feature Pack! Today we’re going to talk about some big changes to runes and sigils, as well as some general balance improvements.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/runes-sigils-and-balance-updates/

My personal stand-out moments:

Celestial gear, which provides a moderate boost to all stats rather than a significant bonus to a few stats, will be hit harder by these changes compared to other gear, since it provided relatively high critical damage values compared to other stats given out. To compensate, we’re increasing the overall effectiveness of Celestial gear by improving all stats by 6% of their current values.

Yus. I can stick with Celestial.

We are updating a lot of runes to have a specific focus, such as adding a particular boon or condition or catering to a supporting or offensive role.

We’re drastically increasing the proc rates on all the bonuses; the six-rune bonus proc for superior rune sets will have a 50% likelihood, making the bonus much more reliable and interesting for use in all kinds of combat.

In order to make it simpler to understand for new players and easier to switch between builds, runes in PvP will now be a single slot you equip. Equipping a single rune will be the equivalent of equipping it to your whole armor set and it will provide your character with the same bonuses that you’d formerly receive with a full six-piece superior rune set.

You’ll be able to use a Sigil of Energy on-swap and still have your Sigil of Fire activate on critical hit!

Solid gold, baby.

So PvP blow up incoming since now 6 Runes are just 1 item. You can't mix and match runes in PvP it seems or did I read that wrong?

I'm not sure if they meant there is a single slot you can dump a rune in, and it applies it to all gear - in *addition* to being able to put runes into armour manually - or if the single slot applies to all is the /only/ way, thus, no mix-and-match. Guess we'll get clarification eventually.

I read these blog posts...

But could someone explain it to me like I'm 5 years old?

Critial damage is being reigned in, to promote build diversity. Basically, full Zerk isn't as "optimal" as it used to be. Runes are being made more powerful, but you need to have more of the same type to get the full effect. Sigils are being made more powerful, and two-handed weapons can now have two slotter.

All runes and sigils have been given a once-over balance pass to make them more diverse and interesting.

Taffer

The Death Magic line has been reworked and restructured slightly so that minions are no longer a required element of that trait line.

I hope this means the minor traits are useful for other builds now.

I read these blog posts...

But could someone explain it to me like I'm 5 years old?

I am a bit lost too because I just get builds from online and use them. I really hate calculating numbers for builds...not really my thing.

I think you should write down all the rune/sigil names in the blog posts and go buy them for cheap so you can sell them back after the update and become super rich.

Moondrop

Banned
So they specifically mention nerfing mixing and matching runes, but preserving it... then in the next paragraph remove it altogether from sPvP. Huh? Goodbye boon builds.

Sigil of benevolence- I'm listening.

Celestial viable in PvP- yay eles?

No but seriously if they really fix ranger pet responsiveness I will be ecstatic.

Arcteryx

I'm not sure if they meant there is a single slot you can dump a rune in, and it applies it to all gear - in *addition* to being able to put runes into armour manually - or if the single slot applies to all is the /only/ way, thus, no mix-and-match. Guess we'll get clarification eventually.

Critial damage is being reigned in, to promote build diversity. Basically, full Zerk isn't as "optimal" as it used to be. Runes are being made more powerful, but you need to have more of the same type to get the full effect. Sigils are being made more powerful, and two-handed weapons can now have two slotter.

All runes and sigils have been given a once-over balance pass to make them more diverse and interesting.

It specifically says,

As mentioned earlier, one of our goals is to encourage players to stick with a single rune that best supports their build. Since the feature pack will move the weighted bonuses to the higher parts of each rune set, we feel that having a player choose six different runes was an unnecessary complication of the build-making process.

In order to make it simpler to understand for new players and easier to switch between builds, runes in PvP will now be a single slot you equip. Equipping a single rune will be the equivalent of equipping it to your whole armor set and it will provide your character with the same bonuses that you’d formerly receive with a full six-piece superior rune set.

Single slot, ie: the equivalent of using all 6 identical runes.

That will end the build I'm running on my Ranger. :/

Even if PvP is a single runeset system, I'm okay with that. Perhaps it's just because I play a lot of fighting games, but I'd rather people run clearly-deliniated builds than try to mix-max fussy sytems. I think it's better in the long run and for the future health of PvP, but that's me.

Ceres

Banned
Do most people mix and match runes? I'm really only fully geared on my guardian which has 5 soldiers and one stone. I know eles can benefit from using 3 different rune sets to get boon duration increases that are at the level 2 slot and not later slots. But seems like most people just stack stuff like melandrus, travelers, soldiers, perplexity, etc

I hope the rebalance increases the price on some runes. Been saving some of the crappier ones hoping the balance makes them more worthwhile.

Moondrop

Banned
Most? No. Many try to optimize DPS with 5 scholar + 1 divinity. Others go 2-2-2 for 60% boon duration. There's also a good 4-2 condition damage set.

I personally like strange builds that maximize duration of a single boon or condition, like protection, burning, or chill.

All options will be gone soon.

Trey

I am a bit lost too because I just get builds from online and use them. I really hate calculating numbers for builds...not really my thing.

I think you should write down all the rune/sigil names in the blog posts and go buy them for cheap so you can sell them back after the update and become super rich.

So they specifically mention nerfing mixing and matching runes, but preserving it... then in the next paragraph remove it altogether from sPvP. Huh? Goodbye boon builds.

Sigil of benevolence- I'm listening.

Celestial viable in PvP- yay eles?

No but seriously if they really fix ranger pet responsiveness I will be ecstatic.

They're streamlining runes. Instead of all the useul stat increases being in the 1 or 2 tier, which promotes using multiple rune sets to get them all, they're focusing on putting dramatic boons in the 4, 5 and 6 tier in order to promote using one rune set.

So all those options are still there (conceivably), just instead of them being obtuse and strewn across multiple rune sets, they'll just be in one dedicated rune set.

They're streamlining runes. Instead of all the useul stat increases being in the 1 or 2 tier, which promotes using multiple rune sets to get them all, they're focusing on putting dramatic boons in the 4, 5 and 6 tier in order to promote using one rune set.

Ok well. I guess I did understand what they were saying.

Wonder if they will be talking about all 4 blog posts during todays Stream.

Mixing rune sets can serve to specifically tailor your character for a specific build, so a lot of players do it. I feel like the kneejerk reaction will probably be negative about that change but until we see the reworked values on full sets, it's too early to pull out the pitchforks legitimately.

Personally, I won't mind the change so long as I can stack my preferred stat. Previously I had to mix and match because higher tiered bonuses felt inappropriate or intended for another class.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I was never a fan of using incomplete rune sets (or Ruby Orbs for that matter :p) but I know it was the best bet to min-max certain stats. Shrug though, I think anything that might change up what the "best" way to do something is a good thing.

Two sigils in two-handed weapons will be the first across the board buff to every class... interesting stuff.

I want to play with that Armored Shroud necro trait pretty bad.

nataku

Seems really unfair to me to place a limit like that on sPvP players and then not have that same limit apply to PvE players.

Trey

Even more reason to use a GS on a warrior. Interesting to see how these new traits make other weapon sets more viable in PvE. The one outlined in yesterday's blog post was interesting.

Seems really unfair to me to place a limit like that on sPvP players and then not have that same limit apply to PvE players.

What limit is that?

Arcteryx

Even more reason to use a GS on a warrior. Interesting to see how these new traits make other weapon sets more viable in PvE. The one outlined in yesterday's blog post was interesting.

What limit is that?

Requiring you to use a full set in PvP vs. allowing mix-match in PvE. One could argue we already have this with amulets in PvP vs. armor/accessories in PvE, but I think it goes beyond that, especially with the effects of runes.

Trey

In sPvP you will no longer be allowed to mix-and-match rune sets.

Reducing build diversity is generally bad.

Anet isn't trying to limit build diversity, they're moving all the functionality mix and matching currently provides to single rune sets in order to make it easier to understand.

Whether they succeed or not remains to be seen.

swnny

Everything so far looks great. Except for the PvP oneslot rune thing... I hope that's some kind of a mistake in the text, because it's total crap saying you are all about increasing build diversity and in the next moment place such a limit/handcap for some builds... total bullshit of a pr.

Now, I'm ready for "ReadyUp!", hoping they will answer most of our concerns that came with the latest blog posts. Like the new trait system, the new grandmaster traits, PvP runes, and of course the new "no-cap-point" map, which sounds like a new game mode all together.

In sPvP you will no longer be allowed to mix-and-match rune sets.

Reducing build diversity is generally bad.

Is it really limiting build diversity though? On paper it does but just because you can mix doesn't mean it's a viable build. As you stated earlier there are very specific mix and match sets used to accomplish specific things. While this will eliminate those sets, if the full sets are balanced against each other then the new best options could be interchangeable, providing more actual build diversity in practice.

Moondrop

Banned
Is it really limiting build diversity though? On paper it does but just because you can mix doesn't mean it's a viable build. As you stated earlier there are very specific mix and match sets used to accomplish specific things. While this will eliminate those sets, if the full sets are balanced against each other then the new best options could be interchangeable, providing more actual build diversity in practice.

While these changes may result in a net increase in build diversity, true, this sPvP-specific action absolutely reduces build diversity by itself.

Concepts like "streamlining" and "simplifying" run counter to the complexity and diversity in game systems necessary to foster a competitive metagame.

Ceres

Banned
I was never a fan of using incomplete rune sets (or Ruby Orbs for that matter :p) but I know it was the best bet to min-max certain stats. Shrug though, I think anything that might change up what the "best" way to do something is a good thing.

But I don't agree that it is just a "best way". It's dependent on what build you're going for. Want boon duration? Mix and match. Want health/armor for survivability? Max out or use up to 5 +orb Soldiers/Dolyak. If anything, its the one thing that actually promotes a diverse usage. So now you want boon duration? Hope that a single rune set is going to provide anywhere near the boost you got from mixing and matching. And PvP isn't even going to have any option at all which flat out removes the idea of messing around with stats and diminishing returns.

Its stuff that's discussed a lot where at what point does a +20 to toughness become obsolete if it is more effectively used toward something like power.
What they really should be concerned with is why stuff like Healing Power is usually considered a garbage stat. Because the difference in a stat increase there can mean only an increase of 50hp to a heal where as putting it in Vitality instead actually raises your health by 1000+.

All in on Water Sigils. Bought 250 of them for 25s-per twenty minutes ago.

They are up to 94s-per now.

qAgT6eR.jpg

Concepts like "streamlining" and "simplifying" run counter to the complexity and diversity in game systems necessary to foster a competitive metagame.

That's favouring the hypothesis. Oftentimes an overly bloated and complex system with too much diversity runs counter to building a healthy meta and competitive scene. It remains to be seen what these changes will do for GW2, but suffice to say how they are *now* isn't helping much.

Things don't need to be complex, to be competitive.

Go_board_part.jpg

The fighting game scene is a perfect example of this. Clearly delineated characters with limited movesets, still manage to create several renaissance eras for individual characters as new players bring their own unique implementation and interpretation to how best to use each characters's strength and weaknesses in the matchups. Sometimes you have to simplify systems so players can build tech out of them. If a system is too muddy, there's no real tech being built, just min-maxing for trick shots.

qAgT6eR.jpg

Aw man, wish I'd thought of that.

Trey

I wish I could short on the TP. Bloodlust is gonna drop like a rock.

While these changes may result in a net increase in build diversity, true, this sPvP-specific action absolutely reduces build diversity by itself.

More complex doesn't necessarily mean more competitive. Especially in games like RPGs in which so much of it is based on random chance.

Ceres

Banned

qAgT6eR.jpg

It really sucks to always be at work when these announcements happen or for the updates. Miss out on so much gold. But I do have some small stacks of cheaper runes that were easy flips for small amounts. Hope they go up too ;)

By competitive you must mean the ability to throw people off with gimmick or unicorn builds because that's the only thing I see suffering and I'm not upset at that, at all. Again, we'll have to see what the changes to the full sets are before people should start grabbing the pitchforks.

I much prefer watching and competing in matches that hinge on player performance and team synergy rather than matches that are predetermined by out of game strategies of rock, paper, scissors.

Trey

You've all done a great job of characterizing my argument. /sarcasm

I'll go back to actually playing spvp.

That's fair in my case. I have a very surface knowledge of Guild Wars 2 PvP in particular, just going off my general knowledge and experience of competition and game design. If you could expand on your argument, that would be appreciated. For my education.

You've all done a great job of characterizing my argument. /sarcasm

I'll go back to actually playing spvp.

I just think we need to wait a few months after the patch hits, to see how things settle. You know how people can hate change, and knee-jerk react to anything they don't see as directly improving their own personal experience. Sometimes design choices that players may feel aren't in their best interest, are what's needed to improve the game in the long run. It's just too early to say "welp, they ruined PvP by removing choice".

Lunar15

As someone who mainly plays PvE, i'm increasingly seeing why I slowed down playing this game and why I don't play many MMO's. All this stuff about builds kind of amounts to very little in my eyes when it comes to affecting gameplay. At the end of the day they're not going to block anyone out of content, but at the same time they have all these stats, traits, and gear-stats you can change. I just feel like none of it is THAT important, yet it's the carrot and the stick for MMO design.

I dunno, the changes that would get me excited would be core gameplay changes. Fundamentally changing how players interact with each other. There is this constant conservative 'we don't want to block access to content based on what you are" push, which I like, but it definitely comes at the cost of "role-playing". It's weird.

Let's just see what the next couple of updates hold, I guess.

Ashodin

As someone who mainly plays PvE, i'm increasingly seeing why I slowed down playing this game and why I don't play many MMO's. All this stuff about builds kind of amounts to very little in my eyes when it comes to affecting gameplay. At the end of the day they're not going to block anyone out of content, but at the same time they have all these stats, traits, and gear-stats you can change. I just feel like none of it is THAT important, yet it's the carrot and the stick for MMO design.

I dunno, the changes that would get me excited would be core gameplay changes. Fundamentally changing how players interact with each other. There is this constant conservative 'we don't want to block access to content based on what you are" push, which I like, but it definitely comes at the cost of "role-playing". It's weird.

Let's just see what the next couple of updates hold, I guess.

There's a certain subset of players who are very vocal about these types of changes though. Moondrop and Knives are two of them as you can see. These players want badly for mechanical changes so they can be better numbers wise at what they do.

I'm more skill based. I want more abilities that change the feel of the game. So it feels fresh every time.

Arkanius

The added sigil slot for the GS will offset the loss of DPS some.

Oh yeah
Totally forgot about the dual sigil!

I would love for Zerker Hammer to be viable in PvE.
I hope the "Removing Restrictions" blog post will be about removing Defiant and Max 25 stacks of conditions from the game.

Retro

New map looks kinda byootiful

It reminds me of Wizard from Halo: CE (aka Warlock in H2). A large central area with elevation changes in a rough ring leading up to raised outside bases. No central tower though.

That's a good thing, by the way, fucking Wizard matches were crazy good.

New map only appears in Custom Arenas for now, they might incorporate it later if the feedback is good. No secondary mechanics, just pure Deathmatch. Created specifically because they wanted to give people who are doing death matches a space that doesn't have weird mechanics they have to fight around.

Edit: They just strongly hinted that the prize for the next PVP tournament will be Legendary weapons.
Edit 2: Yep. First place is a legendary (except Eternity), 2000 gems and 2 BL Tickets. Wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom