• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moondrop

Banned
I was talking about Leveler. How long does it take for you to rank up in PvP? Are there not Level Tomes in the rank up chests?

Indeed, I received a Tome of Knowledge from the rank up chest. My problem is that using that Tome to complete a daily is foolish. Perhaps they drop more often than I realize, but their highest value is obviously when applied to a character that is leveling.

I can enter PvE and complete my entire daily. I can enter WvW and complete my enter daily. Pre-patch I could enter sPvP and complete my entire daily; no longer.

Note: I realize this argument is super boring, so let me change the topic.

Compared to the great healing potential of the reworked sigils, the revamped runes are not exciting. It would appear "Trooper" runes are now the obvious choice for a shout healer. The only other choice I see is Monk runes, but I doubt 10% more outgoing heal is more valuable than AoE condition cleansing. If I'm missing something, let me know.

Proven

Indeed, I received a Tome of Knowledge from the rank up chest. My problem is that using that Tome to complete a daily is foolish. Perhaps they drop more often than I realize, but their highest value is obviously when applied to a character that is leveling.

I can enter PvE and complete my entire daily. I can enter WvW and complete my enter daily. Pre-patch I could enter sPvP and complete my entire daily; no longer.

Foolish? I see it as you being stingy. If you want to spend the Tome on a character below level 80, swap to that character and use it. There, Daily done. How did you get that Tome? From playing PvP. You don't have have a character below level 80? Well you'll be earning Tomes from PvP faster than you'd spend them on Leveler.

If I want to complete Leveler in PvE/WvW, I play on a character for about an hour. If I want to complete Leveler in PvP, I play on a character for about an hour. The only difference is that PvP gives me the option of putting that level on a character I didn't earn it on.

But yeah, we're going to have to agree to disagree on this and move on. We have fundamentally different opinions on the current implementation of Level Tomes. Before they were put in rank up chests and they made it much faster to rank up, I'd have agreed with you.

Shiokazu

im going to find my secret spot. i like grow used to be alone in tyria and i quite like the feel. its good to have people roaming around and helping you out with the tasks, but im quite found of the solitude of exploration.

time to explore a lot more and find my special place.

Retro

Yes, I ask for my name to be changed back. Sorry for the confusion.

Sorry if I had a hand in that, I tend to use peoples' in-game names as a force of habit. With 450+ members coming in and out over two years I've learned to just stick with whatever my head wants to remember.

Phew okay much reading done. Still no response from anet, so I can't play still.

That's a shame. I messaged you on steam to see if you wanted to roam around and grab some Karma skins, but you're still offline so... yep. Good luck with that, they've been pretty backed up, I imagine.

Also the bold statement was more towards everyone; I wrote the post just before bed (and was feeling harried by irl circumstances).

Yeah, but it's under the part labeled "Specifically to Retro"
JUWnj.gif

Dev response
See, I knew it was a temporary or ramshackle design. They wanted to roll out mega server and keep timers but inadvertently screwed it up a bit. If they had more overlapping bosses, then players could have more choice. The problem is that you'll have bosses up much more often than pre mega server, and it could get ridiculous.

I dunno about temporary or ramshackle, but my impression (as far as text can give an impression) is that it's something they've not set in concrete and will change for the better if possible. Mega-servers were (rightfully) more important and world bosses suffered for it. He did mention that the times for Wurm, Taco and Karka are all longer because players can spawn them, I didn't feel like digging in about the influence costs but I'm sure they're aware of it from the forums.

I still stand by my original statement: scheduled anything sucks, especially in a game that does so much to let you spend your time how you want rather than doing chores or maintenance before you get to dig in and have fun.

No GW2 over the Easter break for me.

That sucks, man. Next time I smack a dragon in the face, I'm gonna smack him extra hard for you.

What have I done to you?
He was mistaken for being you.

That kind of shame takes generations to wash away.

The whole Daily Achievements aren't enough discussion.

There are too few dailies. They need to throw in ones like Daily Activity again. I have a sneaking suspicion when it comes up in the rotation, it won't be for Sanctum Sprint, which is the only one I actually enjoy doing.

Ashodin

Agreed, scheduled anything sucks.

Yeah I meant to move the bolded part up but I either forgot or was too tired.

ugh I just want to play!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
im going to find my secret spot. i like grow used to be alone in tyria and i quite like the feel. its good to have people roaming around and helping you out with the tasks, but im quite found of the solitude of exploration.

time to explore a lot more and find my special place.
I agree very deeply with this, but it's such a minority opinion that I just tend not to bring it up. Populating the zones for people at or below the suggested level and not yet adept enough to compensate with skill is a very worthy cause, and like you said it just means looking a little harder for spots where there is no one.

I agree that scheduled anything sucks, it's not my style at all; however, everything except Karka Queen, Ogre Wars, Eye of Zhaitan, Flame Temple Tombs, Fire Shaman and to a smaller extent Commissar, Megadestroyer and Taidha Covington were already scheduled before, the schedule was just a different one, and it was different depending on your server. Most of the ones I named weren't even touched by this update so far as I know. The real shame of the lot is Karka Queen IMO, as that had a really unique method of "On Demand" spawning that made sense in the context of the gameworld and is now arbitrarily reduced to a window.

My playstyle is to roughly treat everything as though it isn't scheduled, no matter how rigidly it is under the surface. It's a little hard to explain what I mean I think, but I will give it a try tonight and report my findings.

Since the "traditional" Teq spawning is apparently occurring on SBI-sector megaservers every night starting tonight, I'm curious about how the "official" Teq runs at 10:00PM eastern will go. If they're decent-but-not-too-demanding to get into I'll actually prefer that time.

Shiokazu

I agree very deeply with this, but it's such a minority opinion that I just tend not to bring it up. Populating the zones for people at or below the suggested level and not yet adept enough to compensate with skill is a very worthy cause, and like you said it just means looking a little harder for spots where there is no one.

I agree that scheduled anything sucks, it's not my style at all; however, everything except Karka Queen, Ogre Wars, Eye of Zhaitan, Flame Temple Tombs, Fire Shaman and to a smaller extent Commissar, Megadestroyer and Taidha Covington were already scheduled before, the schedule was just a different one, and it was different depending on your server. Most of the ones I named weren't even touched by this update so far as I know. The real shame of the lot is Karka Queen IMO, as that had a really unique method of "On Demand" spawning that made sense in the context of the gameworld and is now arbitrarily reduced to a window.

My playstyle is to roughly treat everything as though it isn't scheduled, no matter how rigidly it is under the surface. It's a little hard to explain what I mean I think, but I will give it a try tonight and report my findings.

Since the "traditional" Teq spawning is apparently occurring on SBI-sector megaservers every night starting tonight, I'm curious about how the "official" Teq runs at 10:00PM eastern will go. If they're decent-but-not-too-demanding to get into I'll actually prefer that time.

exploring now is much more rewarding, because, group events wont be a problem anymore, and events are like this, the more the better they are, more people = more fun. yes.

but still, the feeling of solitude is nice when you are exploring, so, you're not just exploring for new traits or new skins, you are also exploring for YOUR special place, if you like being alone.

i will kind of miss sitting at the top of the great lodge, just to chill while i look down on the spirit lodges and stuff. i find hoelbrak to be the most beautiful city, it touches me on the souls

like it has THE FEELS.

meanwhile:

https://twitter.com/GuildWars2/status/456912105112092672

Moondrop

Banned
So it seems most everyone is 50/50 on the new patch eh?

I wouldn't go that far. I would say everyone likes the patch in general, but are disappointed over one or two features changing.

I understand what y'all are talking about with the solitude of exploration. I would never complain about a place called "Brisban Wildlands" being sparsely populated; that's how I would expect it to be. I'm pretty confident that Anet will balance the megaservers and boss timers in time.

I think the nature of the patch, the magnitude of the changes, has given rise to a lot of knee-jerk reactions and people being pulled out of their comfort zones. While there are legitimate issues, I think it'll take a few weeks before people settle and digest all the changes, and see that a lot of the ones they thought were issues before, actually aren't.

hythloday

Hythloday handles guild buffs and the mission queue so she'd probably be able to give a better answer, but we spend at least1600 influence a week for missions. But that doesn't include hidden costs like Asuran Outsourcing so we can be building an extra mission / buff, nor does it take into account speeding some things up (which can be 2000 influence a mission itself) so everything is set for buffs (including WvW buffs on Fridays) and missions on the weekend. She also does a good job of making sure we have extra missions available in case we fail one, as well as making sure we have both Tier 1 and Tier 3 bounties (we usually do the T3 ones for Makeups since there's a larger selection of bounties to pick from)

At a minimum, assuming we do a full run every Saturday and Sunday, we have to build 2 of each type. That adds up to 16800 influence used per week. (2 x 4 mission types at 200 to start and 2000 to speed up). We use more sometimes, because I try to keep a pool of 4 of each type ready in case we have failures. It's nice to be able to restart right away if we do.

We could just let the missions build at their normal speed, but keeping the queue free lets us build fun stuff like WvW Supply and Magic Find. Some of those buffs take 2 or 3 days to build and they're wicked expensive to speed up.

All bosses are just X(+1) reward anyway. You'll get either 2 boxes, or a rare, or a rare and a box. Either way, it's not as important what bosses you fight as it is fighting the bosses when you're online. Yes that means less choice, but it's all we have right now to make the compromise for megaservers. It's either this or the general feeling in the game for players is that it's dead.

I saw this line this morning and wanted to comment on it, but didn't have much time.

Personally, I feel that if that's really the case, then the events all need a redesign. I don't want the game to feel like I'm showing up to do any old thing just to get my loot box and leave. I prefer the ability to go to events that are fun to me and ignore others that aren't. I am the last person you'll see farming the event train. I show up to stuff because the event mechanics are fun. Karka Queen and Tequatl are very different encounters, and it doesn't feel right to me that if I play during prime time, I can still miss the event I like the most, and it's supposedly okay because I can do these other events that I don't like instead because I got my loot box and that's what apparently matters. That doesn't feel like "Guild Wars 2" to me.

Like Retro I'm not 100% sold on how the Megaservers are working with World Events, but I don't doubt that once they have enough data and feedback they will be tweaking the system and improving things where they can.

Ashodin

A
I saw this line this morning and wanted to comment on it, but didn't have much time.

Personally, I feel that if that's really the case, then the events all need a redesign. I don't want the game to feel like I'm showing up to do any old thing just to get my loot box and leave. I prefer the ability to go to events that are fun to me and ignore others that aren't. I am the last person you'll see farming the event train. I show up to stuff because the event mechanics are fun. Karka Queen and Tequatl are very different encounters, and it doesn't feel right to me that if I play during prime time, I can still miss the event I like the most, and it's supposedly okay because I can do these other events that I don't like instead because I got my loot box and that's what apparently matters. That doesn't feel like "Guild Wars 2" to me.

Like Retro I'm not 100% sold on how the Megaservers are working with World Events, but I don't doubt that once they have enough data and feedback they will be tweaking the system and improving things where they can.

I wrote that as a specific point regarding how the events currently could be seen in the eyes of someone who wants just loot. I enjoy the fights myself, especially the new Shadow Behemoth with the new portals errywhere. Pretty much the only person this schedule satisfies is the person who doesn't care about the fun of the fights.

I'm not sold on how many of the changes in the patch are done 100% either. But I -do- see what they are trying to do, and understand that with every decision there are both pros and cons, and overall I appreciate what they are working towards. I'm expecting that many of these changes are very much a "see and adjust" status with Anet, as evidenced by a seemingly higher dev population running around the game lately.

I -fully- expect a revised boss schedule sooner rather than later. I hope that they might tweak the way some of the town clothes work. And I really wish they didn't push traits off until level 30. But, overall, I'm happy with it.

Retro

Well, it was a shot in the dark, but it looks like my Celebration Hat is gone forever. Should have paid more attention when I was deleting my main way back when.

Love:
  • Account wide Dyes
  • Skin Collecting (w/o the need for pit in my basement, honestly I think our downstairs neighbors would mind)
  • Free Trait Resets. I haven't actually PLAYED much the last few days because I've been sorting my bank / collection / characters so much and trying to get a feel for the pace of the boss schedule. What little I have played however, I like being able to mix things up on the fly without being committed. That said, I still hate that I have to swap movement / fall traits out for combat ones constantly. That shit needs to go, pronto, but I doubt it ever will.
  • Free Repairs. Whatever saves me money, especially with the way events are harder to do, is good.
Like:
  • Wardrobe (would love it if my consumable skins were added to it without losing their free application)
Strongly Dislike:
  • Bosses on schedules like cheap tourist attractions. I know it's a theme park game, but seriously, no. World events need to be run more often and the cost for guild activation needs to come waaaaaaay the fuck down.
Annoyed by:
  • New Trait Interface. It just feels clunkier than it used to, and since I'm going to be seeing so much of it with free trait resets, that's an issue.
  • Equipment / Wardrobe / Dye interface. It needs to be streamlined.
  • Renown Popups. I don't despise them, but ya know, the HUGE HEART is kind of obnoxious. It feels like too much style for that amount of substance. I like the change (and the pigeons were so overworked), it's just that damn heart is like, half the damn pop-up. I won't see it much at 80, at least.
Vote is still out:
  • Mega Servers. I'm glad low pop zones are busy again and the game feels alive, but whenever there's a large event I'm not seeing GAFers who are 'there', or even familiar guilds like KARM and MYTH that are usually fucking everywhere. Maybe it takes time for their fancy calculations to start up, but right now I feel like I'm not even on SBI and that makes me sad.
  • Runes and Sigils: Too many of them with too many benefits to weigh, so I dunno where they fall. My Soldier Trooper runes still work, so it doesn't affect my previous build. I still think when they decided to make PVP single-rune based, that should have been game wide, with players adding runes/sigils to an account-wide collectable list that you pick from.
  • Ferocity change. I never run full 'zerker gear anyways so this isn't something I've noticed.
  • Reward Tracks: Looks interesting, haven't PVP'd yet. But this is a good reason to start, I'll give them that.

Patch.

Trait unlock fixes were very needed.

Bug Fixes
  • Fixed a crash on entering certain fractals.
  • Fixed an issue that prevented karma boosts from working.
  • Fixed an issue that caused incomplete or empty item names to be returned from the public API.
  • Completing the Ruined City of Arah story mode now properly unlocks the Ruined City of Arah Dungeon Track.
  • Returned the Quaggan, Sanctified, and Toxic Offshoot Finishers to the Upgrades category of the Gem Store.
  • Fixed time-based guild issues.
  • Fixed an issue that prevented some players from progressing in their personal story.
  • Trait Unlocking:
  • Line 2—Trait XIII: This trait is now also awarded from successfully completing the defend event at the Temple of Grenth as well as the capture event.
  • Line 3—Trait XII: This trait is now also awarded from successfully completing the defend event at the Temple of Melandru as well as the capture event.
  • Armor skins that can be applied to any weight class will now properly show as locked or unlocked in the inventory tooltip.

Seil

Nothing about the daily reset bugs still =(

My ascended mats didn't reset again, so that's two days where I can't craft them. Just missed out of the Tequatl world chest, too. Couple daily achievements didn't reset which is a double-edged sword. On one hand, I miss out on achievement points, on the other I was able to get the chest faster. No idea what other things haven't reset for me that I'll miss out on. Maybe jumping puzzles or something x.x

Mxrz

Dalies didn't reset for me. Just did SE3. No dungeon chests. No end reward chest. Far as I can tell I somehow skipped reset.

That's just dandy.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yeah there's a bug where some players dailies are not resetting for anything. Seems to be widespread though I don't know who/how one gets affected versus not. Sucks, hopefully sorted by tomorrow's reset.

Retro

Sorry Hawk, Callunah, et.al, about having to leave right at the start of SE3. What was a phone call from the in-laws turned into running the cat carrier downstairs turned into running it across town turned into getting said cat into said carrier and taking her to the veterinary hospital.

So, yeah... Fun night ahead.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
No worries. I hope everything goes as well as can be expected with the kitkat :( We wound up just sticking with the 4 man and it was fun.

Proven

PvP, adrenaline, fun. Everyone is testing builds in hotjoin and solo queue, 5v5 hotjoin is fun enough that they need to open up more official servers, got to do some team queues with Blu. Warrior build seems like it should go Carrion for teams, Rabid for anything with two or more Thieves/bursties.

Tomorrow is WvW reset, then some time next week I'm going to start tweaking my Power Necro. Need to weigh the pros and cons between Berserker, Barbarian, and Knight. Might even go for the Cavalier variant.
I wouldn't go that far. I would say everyone likes the patch in general, but are disappointed over one or two features changing.
Pretty much this.

Sorry Hawk, Callunah, et.al, about having to leave right at the start of SE3. What was a phone call from the in-laws turned into running the cat carrier downstairs turned into running it across town turned into getting said cat into said carrier and taking her to the veterinary hospital.

So, yeah... Fun night ahead.

gl Retro.

Retro

Just got Tooth of FrostFang doing the attack on Arah event from a random mob...

Congratulations. I actually saw that drop once during an AC run. Kanik got it from Koher's Chest, which is why every time some scumpug skips straight around the boss, I groan.

General well-wishes about the cat.

I bet you can guess by the timestamp how well things went. So, just to clarify, my in-laws called to borrow our cat carrier so they could take their cat to the vet (our cats were not involved). Which quickly turned into getting the cat into the carrier and then driving my mother-in-law to the emergency vet.

For anyone who hasn't had to take a pet to an animal hospital after hours, you would do well to know that it is both insanely busy and absurdly understaffed (usually one vet, a couple techs and a receptionist). If a cat with constipation comes in at 10pm and a dog who was hit by a car and is having seizures comes in at 10:01, the dog goes first (as well he should, poor thing). It does, however, mean that you spend a hell of a lot more time waiting than you would expect, and it was 2am before I got home. Then after giving my wife all the details / decompressing / getting a shower (I had to basically dig the cat out from some dusty little hidey-holes) here it is 4am. Woo! Figured I'd post an update because god damned it if this isn't Guild Cats 2 (mew?), right?

As it turns out the cat likely has a bladder infection (test results come in tomorrow but the X-rays showed no stones, crystals or abnormalities) and was in distress at the discomfort of needing to use the litter box and having it hurt when she tried. Poor thing.

So yeah, sorry for going AFK. Then AFK. Then having to leave the group. I know you guys managed but I *hate* doing that kind of thing.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
wat

So I'm in Black Citadel after doing some story stuff then suddenly all waypoints outside the Citadel save for a few are contested.

If this primetime megaserver map issue is real for guilds who want to do missions, then Anet really screwed up that "fix." Hopefully they'll patch it soon such that if a mission is active, then guild members automatically join server-specific maps (even at the expense of a barren wasteland) instead of megaserver maps.

Proven

So, can someone quickly give me a list of today's Dailys? I should have asked last night.

As for why Dailys aren't resetting, my best guess is because I'm ahead by a day. On Tuesday, I already have 5/5 Dailys completed. When the patch hit, one of those achievements were deleted from the rotation and I had 4/5 left. After playing some PvP I went back up to 5v5 and even got another Daily Achievement popup and reward (don't recall if I got a laurel).

I only assume that this is the problem because of what happened to my monthlies. After the patch, it takes 4 achievements to complete your April Monthly rather than the 2 from before the patch. But before reset happened that night they didn't remove my achievement progress, so I already had 3/4 Monthly Achievements completed (Daily Completion, WvW Kills, and something else I can't remember like Salvages). Then the patch hit, upped the requirement to 4 achievements from 2, and playing PvP very, very quickly gave me the PvP Player Kill Variety achievement, so I got my Monthly again (with the reward chest holding the extra mystic coins, 200 essence of luck, etc.). After reset happened that night, my Monthly panel bugged out. It completely reset, wouldn't give me any progress, and said that it was a January Monthly Achievement list with 31 days left to complete. I even saved a screenshot for posterity.

Apparently this is a leftover from the last days of the open Beta, when the Shatterer would fly out over the Plains of Ashford, and all the waypoints would be contested.
It looks like they never accounted for it.
I remember that end-of-beta-weekend event. One the one hand, that's awesome. On the other, who'd have ever thought it'd have been better to completely delete that code rather than leave it in and reminisce whenever you read its comments?

Ceres

Banned
I'm not in game so can't give you the full list. As I recall Leveler, Reviver, Kills, Events. There was also an Ascalon related one but not sure which one it was.

Seil

Oh yeah, what happened to the "default towns clothes" you get? Are they gone forever?

They should really fix that.

The waypoints thing isn't a bug, just an annoying side-effect of megaservers. It was mentioned here.

Waypoints—All contestable waypoints on any map you’re not currently playing in will always appear contested. When you arrive in the map, you will be able to travel to these waypoints pending their local status.

So, can someone quickly give me a list of today's Dailys? I should have asked last night.

As for why Dailys aren't resetting, my best guess is because I'm ahead by a day. On Tuesday, I already have 5/5 Dailys completed. When the patch hit, one of those achievements were deleted from the rotation and I had 4/5 left. After playing some PvP I went back up to 5v5 and even got another Daily Achievement popup and reward (don't recall if I got a laurel).

It's a bug and a fairly widespread one. It's not very consistent in what it screws up, either. Two days ago, my ascended crafting mats didn't reset and instead began counting down from 24 hours and couple daily achievements remained. Jumping puzzle chests etc did reset, though.

Yesterday, however, my ascended crafting mats didn't reset again, 2 or 3 daily achievements remained, Tequatl world chest didn't reset and neither did jumping puzzle chests.

Achievements that carry over do not seem to provide achievement points and if you have 5+ left, you don't get the daily chest and I believe miss out on the laurel.
There are a number of threads in the Bug Reports section of the official forums reporting this stuff, but no responses yet =/

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The waypoints thing isn't a bug, just an annoying side-effect of megaservers. It was mentioned here.
That one is a bug, because the Plains of Ashford waypoints in question aren't "contestable," they just happened to be set that way for a single beta weekend finale. Ascalonian Catacombs waypoint has literally never been contested since launch and those should all be reopened.

Proven

Yesterday, however, my ascended crafting mats didn't reset again, 2 or 3 daily achievements remained, Tequatl world chest didn't reset and neither did jumping puzzle chests.

Achievements that carry over do not seem to provide achievement points and if you have 5+ left, you don't get the daily chest and I believe miss out on the laurel.
There are a number of threads in the Bug Reports section of the official forums reporting this stuff, but no responses yet =/

Thanks for the update. I decided to check for myself and now noticed that my Ascended crafts haven't reset either. The last time I did them was Tuesday or Wednesday.

Recycler, Daily Kills, Daily Player Kills, Leveler, Daily Mists Invasion Defender, Daily Mists Lands Claimer, Daily Events, Daily Matches Played, Daily Reviver, Shiverpeaks Killer.

It doesn't help that many of them are the same each day... It actually did change to Shiverpeaks Killer on my list, but all the others that have been the same each day are stuck at full. I'll play WvW for a little while and see what happens. Fastest way to make sure I overshoot Recycler and Daily Kills. I'll probably get Reviver along the way.

Chances are though that I'm screwed until they find and fix this bug. Wednesday night was an attempt but it didn't stick.

Heysoos

I just downloaded this game again to give it another shot since it seems Bioware just doesn't give a rats ass about the health of PVP on SWTOR. However, the game runs like ass on my system. Even on Best Performance settings I'm only getting around 20-25 fps.

For reference here are my specs:

i5-2500k OC'ed to 4.4
7950 @ OC'ed to 1075 GPU clock and 1450 Memory Clock
8gb ram

What's going on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom