• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thorgal

I just went to this thing where a bunch of people I apparently know talk about some chick named Scarlett being dead and now I have a bunch of items I won't be able to use for like 30-40 hours taking up spaces... hmmmm...

I got that too and it is from the Living world story that is developing

You can read about what you missed up until know here

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Living_World_season_1

Season 2 will likely start later this year .

I just went to this thing where a bunch of people I apparently know talk about some chick named Scarlett being dead and now I have a bunch of items I won't be able to use for like 30-40 hours taking up spaces... hmmmm...

I guess you went to the Dead End Bar in Dvinity's Reach.

Must be strange going in there as a new player not know what the hell they are talking about or even who those characters are.

The perspective for Living Story 2 will be so different from people who did LS1 and those that didn't. Hope ANET takes this into consideration and brings new players up to speed somehow when the next one starts.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Keep them if you plan to level other crafting professions but otherwise you're fine. Avoid selling the T5 or T6 mats, though. The T6 especially if you want to get to 500.

Wait, tier 5 still needed? I get tier 6 (they're still needed for ascended, and I am running out of powerful bloods ;_;) but why tier 5?

Also what mats are used for Celestial?

Ah bummer

Also could somebody explain to me how the events Map works ?

It doesn't anymore. A lot of these event maps and boss timers were depreciated when megaservers rolled out, because there's no longer a server-specific map you can check via the API.

World bosses no longer have a 'spawn window' and randomizing factors to them, they all spawn on a set schedule. You can look at http://howar31.github.io/GW2Timer/ to see what world boss is up now, and which ones are coming up.

Wait, tier 5 still needed? I get tier 6 (they're still needed for ascended, and I am running out of powerful bloods ;_;) but why tier 5?

Also what mats are used for Celestial?
Celestial uses quartz crystals that you have to fuse together at a place of power (skill points that have you channel). Quartz is available on the TP unless you got the quartz node on your home instance.

T5 mats are not required, strictly speaking, but they can come in handy (can make them into rares you can salvage for ecto) and might have a greater role the road. They can also be transmuted into T6 mats but that is only viable some of the time since it requires T6 dust to do.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Anyone using the in game overlay for world events can tell me how it works ?

Just start the game .then activate the executable and done ?
I don't know if anyone's made an overlay for the new schedule yet. I like this Timer site though. http://timer.silversunshine.net/
Megaservers eliminate the practicality of this too. You gotta just go to the map and explore :) Though the possible events for each zone are listed on that zone's wiki page.
I guess you went to the Dead End Bar in Dvinity's Reach.

Must be strange going in there as a new player not know what the hell they are talking about or even who those characters are.

The perspective for Living Story 2 will be so different from people who did LS1 and those that didn't. Hope ANET takes this into consideration and brings new players up to speed somehow when the next one starts.
I didn't even know you could witness that if you hadn't taken part in the Living Story at all. That's an oversight. They should just be like, "hey random citizen, nice day!"
What is it they gave you, anyway?

Retro

Also doesn't work because of Megaservers. Sorry.

Picked this up with the half off sale.

Welcome to the game. Let us know if you need a guild invite or have any questions.

Is it fine to TP sell "inscription" mats (claws, fangs, bones, etc.) of lower tier once you hit 400 on all crafting?

Sure, but I tend to hoard stuff like that just in case I need it for a different crafting profession. I see no reason you can't just sell 'em though, if you're tight on storage space.

That's part of the epilogue to the last Living Story, which is still active. Here's a quick summary of Season One:
An extremely gifted but rebellious Sylvari named Ceara, while accumulating an alarming amount of information, took part in an Asuran experiment that basically drove her insane and or opened a suppressed part of her mind that allowed an Elder Dragon to manipulate her. She then took on the name Scarlet Briar and started to unite various groups to take advantage of their technology or magic. Her goal was to find streams of magical energy that naturally run throughout the planet, tap into one of them, and divert the flow of magic towards an Elder dragon, awakening it. It just so happened that the optimal stream was right under Lion's Arch, which she promptly invaded, burned to the ground, and began drilling through. The characters you met in the bar were all picked up at various parts of the story, and were there at the end when the players kill Scarlet, but not before she jammed the drill, allowing it to finish the job and wake the dragon.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Celestial uses quartz crystals that you have to fuse together at a place of power (skill points that have you channel). Quartz is available on the TP unless you got the quartz node on your home instance.

T5 mats are not required, strictly speaking, but they can come in handy (can make them into rares you can salvage for ecto) and might have a greater role the road. They can also be transmuted into T6 mats but that is only viable some of the time since it requires T6 dust to do.

Ahh I have some quartz I got from bags as well as charged crystals.

I never seem to have trouble with ectos lately. I always salvage yellows and exotics unless they sell much in TP.

Sure, but I tend to hoard stuff like that just in case I need it for a different crafting profession. I see no reason you can't just sell 'em though, if you're tight on storage space.

I already reached 400 on all crafting, and currently maxxed out Weapon and Armorsmith (with the other two going at around 440-ish).

Thorgal

It doesn't anymore. A lot of these event maps and boss timers were depreciated when megaservers rolled out, because there's no longer a server-specific map you can check via the API.

World bosses no longer have a 'spawn window' and randomizing factors to them, they all spawn on a set schedule. You can look at http://howar31.github.io/GW2Timer/ to see what world boss is up now, and which ones are coming up.

I don't know if anyone's made an overlay for the new schedule yet. I like this Timer site though. http://timer.silversunshine.net/

Megaservers eliminate the practicality of this too. You gotta just go to the map and explore :) Though the possible events for each zone are listed on that zone's wiki page.

I didn't even know you could witness that if you hadn't taken part in the Living Story at all. That's an oversight. They should just be like, "hey random citizen, nice day!"

Also doesn't work because of Megaservers. Sorry.

Welcome to the game. Let us know if you need a guild invite or have any questions.

That's part of the epilogue to the last Living Story, which is still active. Here's a quick summary of Season One:
An extremely gifted but rebellious Sylvari named Ceara, while accumulating an alarming amount of information, took part in an Asuran experiment that basically drove her insane and or opened a suppressed part of her mind that allowed an Elder Dragon to manipulate her. She then took on the name Scarlet Briar and started to unite various groups to take advantage of their technology or magic. Her goal was to find streams of magical energy that naturally run throughout the planet, tap into one of them, and divert the flow of magic towards an Elder dragon, awakening it. It just so happened that the optimal stream was right under Lion's Arch, which she promptly invaded, burned to the ground, and began drilling through. The characters you met in the bar were all picked up at various parts of the story, and were there at the end when the players kill Scarlet, but not before she jammed the drill, allowing it to finish the job and wake the dragon.

Thanks for the info and correct spawning world event list guy's

One other thing , does anyone know wether screenshots are uncompressed or not

If they are would it be safe to use Fraps with this game ?

Thanks for the info and correct spawning world event list guy's

One other thing , does anyone know wether screenshots are uncompressed or not

If they are would it be safe to use Fraps with this game ?

If you put -bmp after the executable in the shortcut, it'll save uncompressed shots. But I use FRAPS myself, it's 100% safe.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I was next to my pet like Olaf with Anna when Kristoff talked to the rocks.

They sent me an invitation in the mail.

A sword and a greatsword of water, a fancy staff, some fancy pants, all level 15, and a bunch of fancy crafting things.

Thorgal

If you put -bmp after the executable in the shortcut, it'll save uncompressed shots. But I use FRAPS myself, it's 100% safe.

Thanks !

Did a quick test at 3200 X 1800 p

B0rY5PF.jpg

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I was next to my pet like Olaf with Anna when Kristoff talked to the rocks.

They sent me an invitation in the mail.

A sword and a greatsword of water, a fancy staff, some fancy pants, all level 15, and a bunch of fancy crafting things.
Oh, you'll hit level 15 pretty rapidly...

Last time i tried PvP was Sep 2012, played about 15 games yesterday, if i told ya i saw 2 warriors i would be lying, if i told ya i saw about 20 Necros that would be the truth, one team had 4 necros all minion masters, condition meta build is the rage in their.

I love my dual wielding Warrior (axes ftw!) but damn if it doesn't hurt that he has no swiftness buff :<
Put 2 points into discipline trait and choose III warriors spirit that will give you some swiftness...

Thorgal

Last question for today i promise :p

For mumble what do you need to enter in the space called Label ?

Already have port and address put in .

Thorgal

Which downsampling method are you using? And does it make the UI text tiny?

Just upping the resolution to 1800p as described here

Whatever you want to name the server you're connecting to. GAF Guild GW2 is what I use.

That's just whatever name you want to give the server so you remember what it is.

Edit: Beaten

Feel free to scream something to test if it works .

Edit : scratch that: something came up so this will have to wait .
Will give mumble a try tomorrow .

Apologies !

Retro

Feel free to scream something to test if it works .

Hey, when you were on earlier we had to mute you because your mic was open (we could hear ourselves being played through your speakers and your television in the background). You'll want to switch to Push-to-Talk by going to "Configure > Settings", then under Audio Input, select "Push to Talk" where it says Transmit. Then go to Shortcuts, click "Add", and where the new line appears select "Push to Talk" and then click in the shortcut field to assign a key.

nataku

There`s a separate setting for UI size. Does it remain small even with that maxed?

It helps, but the entire UI turns really ugly when you max out the size. Name tags in particular look like something from a cheap Chinese MMO.

EDIT: Or maybe the fixed it when they fixed the TP on larger sizes. I was going to take a screenshot, but it's not doing it anymore. It used to be the tag would get put on a new line, under the name. Anything in the brackets did, including NPC tags. Looked really terrible.

The entire UI is still super blurry on larger sizes, though.

Thorgal

Hey, when you were on earlier we had to mute you because your mic was open (we could hear ourselves being played through your speakers and your television in the background). You'll want to switch to Push-to-Talk by going to "Configure > Settings", then under Audio Input, select "Push to Talk" where it says Transmit. Then go to Shortcuts, click "Add", and where the new line appears select "Push to Talk" and then click in the shortcut field to assign a key.

Thanks !

Will do the same on the teamspeak one also.

There`s a separate setting for UI size. Does it remain small even with that maxed?
It remains small. I already use the max UI size since I game on a television, and chat is barely legible on downsampled 1440p.

It helps, but the entire UI turns really ugly when you max out the size. Name tags in particular look like something from a cheap Chinese MMO.

EDIT: Or maybe the fixed it when they fixed the TP on larger sizes. I was going to take a screenshot, but it's not doing it anymore. It used to be the tag would get put on a new line, under the name. Anything in the brackets did, including NPC tags. Looked really terrible.

The entire UI is still super blurry on larger sizes, though.
I have no problems with a max size UI, it works well enough for a TV. Guild tags never dropped under names for me. I can't wait for first reviews of that ASUS ROG 1440p monitor, though. More screen real estate plus going back to standard UI size will be glorious.

bootski

if someone could give me an invite to the GAF guild i'd really appreciate it. i'm playing on SBI and have a lvl 10 charr necro going on. game seems like a lot of fun and i'm really getting into it. thanks!

bootski.9538

if someone could give me an invite to the GAF guild i'd really appreciate it. i'm playing on SBI and have a lvl 10 charr necro going on. game seems like a lot of fun and i'm really getting into it. thanks!

bootski.9538

You should have a guild invite! Once you accept, be sure to 'Represent' the GAF guild so we can see you in guild chat.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

bootski.9538
Just logged on to add you and an occifer had already gotten to it... and I noticed there were 49 online in guild right now.... o.o

The first proposal (power/vitality/GS/LB) is essentially the opposite of how I play ranger (condition/toughness/S-T/SB). It's probably a solid choice in PvE, especially given the vulnerability stacking, but I can't really comment.

The latter I'm assuming is a shout build. It seems ok in theory, but in practice:
1) If you're running with a group, there are many sources of switftness, so you're giving up a lot prioritizing it so highly.
2) If you're solo roaming, then it's a little more viable. But most people don't run healing power in their roaming sets (apothecary is one of the few examples), thus not maximizing the regeneration. Plus that form of regeneration can be boon-stripped.
3) Last and most importantly, shouts are fundamentally associated with Beastmastery and that is just not in a great place right now.

Do you have any tips for PvP? Like how to do damage and not die? I traited for power/toughness/vitality and I get destroyed really quickly. Like what kind of ratings should I have as a level 80 if I'm focusing on power/toughness/vitality?I really feel like I'm missing something here.

BraXzy

We have plenty of UK players in SB who never complained of lag (we even have players playing from Hawaii and even India and they don't have any problem either).

Thanks for all of your help and tips today, I feel like less of a noob now! And it looks like you can keep your head so hey there's that :D

Zeroth

I think people who love playing healers are bad human beings.

What did he say?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=110660590&postcount=217

Docbon so mean. I'd expect that kind of talk from Kos but from you...

I take that back, I'd expect that kind of talk from Kos AND from you. ;/

I do admit, I laughed.

Thanks for all of your help and tips today, I feel like less of a noob now! And it looks like you can keep your head so hey there's that :D

No problem, anytime!

xeris

Trying to get back into this game. Starting an engineer fresh..

Can I get a guild invite? Atomski.5124

Thanks

Just saw your post now. Invite sent and should be waiting when you get in next. Just hit g and should have the invite and remember to hit the represent button as well.

aka_bueno

I've been looking to play an MMO again, really liked what I played from Wildstar beta weekend but now it's over. Forgot I bought this when it first came out and liked it, but for whatever reason I can't remember I stopped.

Downloading it now to try it out again. Any big changes since launch, anything cool?

Jira

I've been looking to play an MMO again, really liked what I played from Wildstar beta weekend but now it's over. Forgot I bought this when it first came out and liked it, but for whatever reason I can't remember I stopped.

Downloading it now to try it out again. Any big changes since launch, anything cool?

It always amuses me when anyone asks if there's been any big changes to GW2. There have been 30 updates to the game since launch. Some stuff has been permanent additions while others temporary. Here's a list of just the permanent stuff, the temporary list would be even larger.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FwI3ZJ2J6L7EnrSurfn03YcPBIeHpyKgaJJ3mkSVALA/edit

Here's the release page for the game too:

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/releases/

aka_bueno

It always amuses me when anyone asks if there's been any big changes to GW2. There have been 30 updates to the game since launch. Some stuff has been permanent additions while others temporary. Here's a list of just the permanent stuff, the temporary list would be even larger.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FwI3ZJ2J6L7EnrSurfn03YcPBIeHpyKgaJJ3mkSVALA/edit

Here's the release page for the game too:

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/releases/

Well I specifically mentioned "big changes" :p I wasn't asking for a complete patch note list since launch or anything, as that'd just be silly.

EDIT: also, thanks for the info ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom