• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

BraXzy

All of your characters will be tied to a single server, but you can "Guest" to any server in your region (think of it like a free server transfer). Which doesn't really matter anymore since they added Megaservers last month, where the game will pull people from multiple servers to populate a single zone.

I still don't get this, mixed messages. So if I join the NA server you guys are on, I'll only be able to guest other NA servers?

Jira

I still don't get this, mixed messages. So if I join the NA server you guys are on, I'll only be able to guest other NA servers?

Correct, however Guesting is now largely useless due to the Megaservers and how players are distributed into zones.

BraXzy

Correct, however Guesting is now largely useless due to the Megaservers and how players are distributed into zones.

If for whatever reason, I have really crappy lag/ping, can I delete my characters and start over on an EU server?

hythloday

If for whatever reason, I have really crappy lag/ping, can I delete my characters and start over on an EU server?

Yup. If you delete all your characters, it will let you create on a new server. You can even stash all your stuff in the bank to keep it, since the bank goes by account and not individual characters.

We never do any of this. And to press the point further, I have made dozens of LFG groups with the simple message "all welcome" (or, if I'm not in the mood for it, "no stacking") and had polite, fun groups the vast majority of the time.

Pretty patently incorrect. A friendly guild goes a long way. Furthermore the most recent patch made things in lower level dungeons easier for "mixed" groups (composed of new and experienced players).

Next time make sure to ask for any interested GAF members before going to the LFG. I personally enjoy almost every dungeon.

Seems like an inspect option would encourage elitism.

For sure. I'm just trying to get my traits in order before I tackle any dungeons.

Ranger main hand sword is perhaps the most divisive weapon set in the game. Let me start with the major Pros before talking about how to handle the major Con.

PvE Pro #1: Sword #1 has the highest DPS for power builds.
PvE Pro #2: Using sword keeps you on the target so you get the full benefit of boon stacking. Most of the ranger dungeon hate comes from standing at range and pew-pewing, disrupting optimal dungeon stacking.
PvP Pro #1: Mobility. Evades on 2 and 3, plus mobility in 1 when you learn to master it.
PvP Pro #2: Poison, a powerful anti-healing utility condition.

The Con is obvious: most players hate the "rooting" feeling of Sword 1. The common response among us defenders is, " so turn off the auto-attack." This will allow you to dodge or perform other actions in-between strikes of the sword chain.

But this doesn't fully solve the awkwardness of sword; for that you must understand the #1 chain in-depth. The opening strike is a simple melee-range slash. However the next two attacks are mini-leaps that chase your targeted foe. You don't have to use them instantly, and you gain a lot just from taking that extra moment and choosing when to leap. The awkardness of the sword chain is compounded in that all three attacks have a different activation time as well as range. However once you master these attacks, you will come to understand why sword is the ranger's best melee weapon.

As to spirits, let me just give you the PvP short version for now: stone spirit + sun spirit + more spirit procs trait + spirits move trait + condition damage = win.

Let me know if you'd like my treatise on the joys of ranger shortbow. ;)

Ok now I remember trying this for myself a long time ago and you're right about taking it off of auto attack and controlling it manually instead. What kind of traits are best for a sword build? Would dagger be a good pair for it because of the bleeding/cripple and poison? I've already got the trap building working again (axe/torch) so now I'm wondering if the spirit build is usable with the sword as a main hand weapon.

I already know that Shortbow is one of the Ranger's best weapons (if not the best!).

BraXzy

Yup. If you delete all your characters, it will let you create on a new server. You can even stash all your stuff in the bank to keep it, since the bank goes by account and not individual characters.

Alright that's a relief. Haven't booted the game yet.. I'll end up spending a few hours making a character and stuff :L

From my brief skim of the few guides it seems like it isn't a major thing when picking stuff so that's good to know, I usually umm and ahh for ages. Any suggestions for race/class for someone who is rusty as a bucket with MMO's?

Jira

You can, though note that people in Australia (let alone EU) can play on servers in Texas with little to no latency issues. ANet has the best server infrastructure in the entire gaming industry.

Alright that's a relief. Haven't booted the game yet.. I'll end up spending a few hours making a character and stuff :L

From my brief skim of the few guides it seems like it isn't a major thing when picking stuff so that's good to know, I usually umm and ahh for ages. Any suggestions for race/class for someone who is rusty as a bucket with MMO's?

Well race/class combos don't matter like they do in other MMOs. There's racial skills but they're pretty much for flavor and nothing more so pick what you want to play rather than what you think you have to play. GW2 breaks all of the bad stuff that the genre has grabbed onto for the past decade. If you want a high level but outdated overview of what GW2 is, see my thread here:

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1058358-Guild-Wars-2-Mass-info-for-the-uninitiated-READ-ME!

BraXzy

Sorry for all the questions, one more for now :D

Since from what I gather, when something major happens like a bridge explodes, it is permanent and everyone's game changes to reflect that? Or am I misinterpreting something?

If so, does that mean that a bunch of content/eventsthat are no longer accessible and lost to the nether?

Ashodin

Yes to the former question - people will see that something has happened because of an event.

All current events in the world however are repeatable based on their track - if it's in that stage of the event, you'll see it.

An example is like the one you're talking about - a bridge can explode because enemies have attacked it, and you can help the locals rebuild it while defending it. Then later, someone else could see it again.

Jira

Since from what I gather, when something major happens like a bridge explodes, it is permanent and everyone's game changes to reflect that? Or am I misinterpreting something?

If so, does that mean that a bunch of content/eventsthat are no longer accessible and lost to the nether?

It's cyclical, so if say an event fails where a bridge explodes because it wasn't defended, a new event will spawn to fix the bridge. Permanent stuff doesn't happen from Dynamic Events (with the exception of Lost Shores in Nov 2012) and in the Living Story which changes the world drastically (end of season 1 saw our hub city (think Stormwind) completely destroyed by that current story arcs nemesis Scarlet Briar as well as the awakening of a new Elder Dragon. Don't feel bad about asking questions, the GW2 community is probably the nicest gaming community you're going to find.

Katoki

The bridge gets fixed if you do one of the events to fix it but it inevitably gets attacked and destroyed again at some point or another. The regular event system is cool the first few times you pass it but the imagination causing the expectations is far greater. I remember how exciting it was thinking dynamic events actually meant something. They mean nothing to me nearly two years later but it's two years.

Jira

The bridge gets fixed if you do one of the events to fix it but it inevitably gets attacked and destroyed again at some point or another. The regular event system is cool the first few times you pass it but the imagination causing the expectations is far greater. I remember how exciting it was thinking dynamic events actually meant something. They mean nothing to me nearly two years later but it's two years.

I think the only ones that have any real meaning are the ones with good stories tied to them or the whole paving the way into Southsun for the first time.

I've played through most zones over ten times now, and I'm still finding dynamic events I'd never seen before, little stories that play out, and sometimes completely surprising things where I thought I'd seen it all. People tend to get the "seen it once, seen it all" vibe from DE's quickly, but in reality, you'd have to hang out in a zone for a long time, before exhausting all the things you can see there.

Also, found this, which I'd never seen before. Kind of neat, if confusing and some of it is wrong, like firefield leaps.

q5jU3jS.jpg

I don't actually know of another MMO (or even co-op action RPG) that has combo fields. Wish more games used them, D3 would be amazing with the idea.

Retro

Your choice of race is 99% cosmetic, so go for the race that you'll enjoy playing. Be aware that movement speed is normalized across all characters so the bigger you are, the slower the animation (and vice versa, the smaller you are, the faster you'll feel). The Norn and Charr are the largest races while the Asura are the smallest. Humans and Sylvari fall right in the middle.

Norn look really great in armor though, and Charr have a fantastic four-legged run animation, so it's a mixed bag. Depending on what profession you pick, you'll likely be able to speed things up a bit with a trait or signet that increases run speed.

As for class, since there's no Trinity there's nothing that forces a group to be anything except "5 people who want to play together". No waiting for hours for a healer to log in, no having to put up with a tank with a Howitzer-sized ego. Everyone has at least one range-based weapon choice so you'll never be penalized for picking a melee class on fights that need it.

That said, class is also the most important decision you'll make, because each of them play substantially differently from each other. Guardians aren't just "Warriors with blue spells", Necromancers aren't just "Elementalists with death magic", etc. They have a certain style and feel to them that can be off-putting if it's not what you expect, or can make you absolutely fall in love with the game if you find one that 'clicks' with you.

Luckily, you can experiment a lot. Not only can you gain access to all core skills, traits and weapons via the PVP lobby (click the crossed swords icon at the top of the screen, then select "Enter the Heart of the Mists".), but if you decide you don't like a profession, your money, karma, crafting materials, unlocked skins and any items you put in your bank are account-wide and can be used to give your next attempt a leg up (and you start with 5 character slots, so you don't have to delete one to try another).

The meat and potatoes of GW2 are Dynamic Events, which are a replacement for quests that you'd find in other MMOs. Instead of running around talking to NPCs and having a quest log, everything sort of happens in real-time. You don't walk into a village and somebody says "The centaurs are attacking, help!" and then sends you off to kill 10 centaurs who are standing around 50 feet away waiting to be killed. You and everyone around you will see an event pop up on your map that says something like "Prevent the centaurs from taking control of the town", and everyone can rush in and kill the centaurs until their morale is depleted, or you've beaten a set number of waves, or however the event's progress is tracked. Everyone contributes to the success of the event, so if you're killing a centaur and you see five people show up to kill them too, they're not stealing your kills or making it harder for you to complete the event. Actually, they're helping, and if enough show up the event scales up in difficulty (but also reward).

If the centaurs aren't driven off, they occupy the town (or to use your example, the bridge is destroyed) everyone who goes there will see that, and the event that says "Drive the centaurs out of town", and everybody can then work together to reclaim territory. In the starter zones it's pretty basic stuff, but in later areas there's huge event chains that span the entire map where you'll be pushing enemies out of places, defending them from counterattacks, pushing deeper into enemy territory, etc.

As others have said, events eventually do reset. People stop defending a position and the enemy moves back in to occupy, and for the sake of there always being things to do they're not always on lengthy timers. That said, I've been leveling alts and come across huge event chains I've never seen before, even after two years of playing (and several 80s, two with 100% map completion).

The only thing that you won't be able to see again are Living Story updates, which are the big two-week updates that follow a specific storyline. Elements of them do return (two temporary dungeons returned later as "Fractals", a special kind of randomized dungeon), but the big storyline stuff is usually permanent. The first season ended in March and culminated with a massive attack on Lion's Arch, the game's central hub city. You can go there now and see the smoldering ruins, mass graves and missing persons boards, and Youtube has lots of videos so you can see what it looked like before.

Wookieomg

Hey guys, as someone that hasn't played GW2 since launch, is now a good time to jump back in? I read about the Feature update that just went live, and heard about a new large content update coming in the near future. Just curious if the game has seen substantial changes/improvements since the early days of launch.

Hey guys, as someone that hasn't played GW2 since launch, is now a good time to jump back in? I read about the Feature update that just went live, and heard about a new large content update coming in the near future. Just curious if the game has seen substantial changes/improvements since the early days of launch.

Now is a great time to jump in. We're in-between Living World updates, so you can settle in and find a groove. There's been so many patches and features added, it's almost a new game compared to launch. The April 15 Feature Pack was a huge Quality of Life improvement, not flawless, but important none the less.

Also, thread needs more pretty:

irxJGMf.jpg

8LoCOAz.jpg

sTNGUxi.jpg

IEYO0xb.jpg

vnuxdSq.jpg

Yes, been spending a lot of time in WvW. :p

Retro

It's always a good time to jump back in, but now is especially good since we're between seasons of the Living Story (the big, world-spanning storyline that updates every two weeks), so you won't be coming in mid-story without any clue what's going on (though if you did, we could quickly bring you up to speed.

Here's the list of everything they've added since launch, up to about a week ago: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FwI3ZJ2J6L7EnrSurfn03YcPBIeHpyKgaJJ3mkSVALA/pub

You've also likely been removed from the GAFGuild (nothing personal, there's a 500 member cap so we occasionally have to remove inactive players to make room for new ones), just post your username (name.####) and we'll get you back in if you'd like.

Ultimadrago

Hey guys, just started and would like a trust-worthy build demo to work off of (for PvE Warrior specifically). Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I'm still on one hand swords for now, but want to shift to greatswords when I become a higher level.

Wookieomg

Now is a great time to jump in. We're in-between Living World updates, so you can settle in and find a groove. There's been so many patches and features added, it's almost a new game compared to launch. The April 15 Feature Pack was a huge Quality of Life improvement, not flawless, but important none the less.

It's always a good time to jump back in, but now is especially good since we're between seasons of the Living Story (the big, world-spanning storyline that updates every two weeks), so you won't be coming in mid-story without any clue what's going on (though if you did, we could quickly bring you up to speed.

Here's the list of everything they've added since launch, up to about a week ago: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FwI3ZJ2J6L7EnrSurfn03YcPBIeHpyKgaJJ3mkSVALA/pub

You've also likely been removed from the GAFGuild (nothing personal, there's a 500 member cap so we occasionally have to remove inactive players to make room for new ones), just post your username (name.####) and we'll get you back in if you'd like.

Awesome! Sounds promising. :D I wasn't a member of GAF when I first played GW2 so I wouldn't have been in the guild then, but I would definitely join up this time around! Which server does GAF call home?

Retro

Hey guys, just started and would like a trust-worthy build demo to work off of (for PvE Warrior specifically). Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I'm still on one hand swords for now, but want to shift to greatswords when I become a higher level.

I think Signet builds are still considered the best for leveling, though I never particularly cared for it. I've been told I'm weird, however.

Since Lung Capacity was moved to adept tier, I guess it's never too early to have a shout build (though I wouldn't invest in Trooper runes just yet). "For Great Justice" is a great way to get a chunk of Might and Fury, and "Shake it Off" is great on-demand condition removal.

If you're a fan of 1h sword, you might also look into the arms line for bleed-related traits. There's some Greatsword ones in there at Master tier too, though with instant free respecs that's not much of a benefit anymore.

Ultimadrago

I think Signet builds are still considered the best for leveling, though I never particularly cared for it. I've been told I'm weird, however.

Since Lung Capacity was moved to adept tier, I guess it's never too early to have a shout build (though I wouldn't invest in Trooper runes just yet). "For Great Justice" is a great way to get a chunk of Might and Fury, and "Shake it Off" is great on-demand condition removal.

If you're a fan of 1h sword, you might also look into the arms line for bleed-related traits. There's some Greatsword ones in there at Master tier too, though with instant free respecs that's not much of a benefit anymore.

Thanks. I've been reading the cons of the Signet builds, especially in higher levels, but it certainly would help me where I'm at now. (I'm not even at a level where I've unlocked them, but for when I do.)

Retro

Thanks. I've been reading the cons of the Signet builds, especially in higher levels, but it certainly would help me where I'm at now. (I'm not even at a level where I've unlocked them, but for when I do.)

Yep, I try not to judge people for playing how they want to play, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't cringe a little when I see Level 80 Warriors running full signet builds. I'm sure a few have a good reason for doing so, maybe, but I'd bet gold that most of them just read about the build online and couldn't be buggered to change it.

Definitely not an effective build at high level, I believe it even stops being decent around 60.

BraXzy

I've finally got round to booting up the game.

Someone reassure me that being a UK player on an NA server won't be detrimental to my gameplay? :L Don't I have to pay to move if I change to EU?

Zeroth

Someone reassure me that being a UK player on an NA server won't be detrimental to my gameplay? :L Don't I have to pay to move if I change to EU?

We have plenty of UK players in SB who never complained of lag (we even have players playing from Hawaii and even India and they don't have any problem either).

As for paying to move to a new region, yes, you do need to pay (the price is in gems and varies with the server population), but when you are so early into the game, you can just delete your characters and move for free!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
You'll be able to tellif the lag is bearable or not within a couple of hours. If there's a delay between hitting a weapon skill and it firing off, you won't want to tolerate it. If not, you're good.

Wookie, feel free to post your account or character name here for a guild invite!

Retro

Is it me or does the wvwvvw point system make no sense?

We were first, got 3 points, second got 5 >_>?

I believe the number of points is based on where you were ranked before the match, so taht servers that are ranked higher have less to gain from winning than those that were ranked lower. The idea being that those in the middle can make a comeback against those who are on top.

The person who seems to have the most trouble with latency is Arksy, who's playing from Australia. He's can correct me if I heardwrong, but on mumble he's said that there are times with noticeable bit of lag but it can be compensated for once you're used to seeing it. There's quite a few GAFers in your neck of the woods and they seem to get along fine.

BraXzy

We have plenty of UK players in SB who never complained of lag (we even have players playing from Hawaii and even India and they don't have any problem either).

As for paying to move to a new region, yes, you do need to pay (the price is in gems and varies with the server population), but when you are so early into the game, you can just delete your characters and move for free!

The person who seems to have the most trouble with latency is Arksy, who's playing from Australia. He's can correct me if I heardwrong, but on mumble he's said that there are times with noticeable bit of lag but it can be compensated for once you're used to seeing it. There's quite a few GAFers in your neck of the woods and they seem to get along fine.

If something goes wrong I'll have both your heads <3

Retro

If something goes wrong I'll have both your heads <3

Honestly, a big part of any MMO is having people to play with. There aren't raids you need a guild's worth of people to complete or anything at that level in GW2 (the most you'd need for Guild Missions is 15 people max, and there are ways you could do them with fewer than that), but just having lots of people to answer questions, come help if you're having trouble with something, or quickly get a dungeon group together is going to make your experience better. A LOT better. Unfortunately, the EU chapter of GAFGuild imploded after a couple people decided to push for it to be a separate entity on a separate server, and then promptly disappeared. We've been collecting donations of gold to help transfer folks over to SBI ever since.

What I'm getting at is, it's worth the trouble to see if an NA server will work for you because otherwise you're kind of floating alone and while you can still join the guild, it will never be more than a chatroom and a [GAF] tag for your character. Even if there's a few times where you have latency issues (and don't be surprised if, when you run into a huge mess of people, you have some lag because EVERYONE does, regardless of where they're at), the times when you don't will be much more enjoyable.

Adding Guild Wars 2 to Steam In-Home Streaming (now in open beta) works awesomely in terms of video/audio and having no lag, but mouse/keyboard inputs aren't doing anything on the laptop (in both Mac OS and Windows, so I don't think it's because the laptop is a MacBook Air). Once I get the control situation figured out, I'll be playing lots of couch Guild Wars 2.

Check it out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYgFjf0WUN4

Morokh

Playing from France never had any latency problems.

Moondrop

Banned
Ok now I remember trying this for myself a long time ago and you're right about taking it off of auto attack and controlling it manually instead. What kind of traits are best for a sword build? Would dagger be a good pair for it because of the bleeding/cripple and poison? I've already got the trap building working again (axe/torch) so now I'm wondering if the spirit build is usable with the sword as a main hand weapon.

I already know that Shortbow is one of the Ranger's best weapons (if not the best!).

In general I do not trait around the sword. The only specific trait (cooldown reduction) is unnecessary because it only affects two skills with short CDs already.

To get into the nitty-gritty, we have to specify game mode. In PvP I use sword/torch and shortbow. I'm not a fan of pairing dagger with sword; the skills are redundant. When my ranger ventures into WvW I use a warhorn offhand; I would probably use it in PvP too if I ran power instead of conditions. I don't actually PvE with my ranger. :p

People absolutely run axe/torch and sword/whichever in PvP. But whether it's traps or spirits, I rely on the shortbow to finish combo fields. So goodbye axe. I tried to make axe work for a while with my Beastmaster builds, but eh.

Thorgal

Ihave a problem to get The controller working .

I followed the instructions list and Task manager confirms that both xpadder and mouse script are running ( although the latter does not appear on my notification bar) and then changed the bindings in the control menu but when i try to use the controller ,nothing happens .

Anyone can help ?

kiguel182

I was pretty much finished with a story mission and got kicked out of the server. Lost all of the progress.

What a bummer. Fortunetly it was not an hard one but still stucks.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Ihave a problem to get The controller working .

I followed the instructions list and Task manager confirms that both xpadder and mouse script are running ( although the latter does not appear on my notification bar) and then changed the bindings in the control menu but when i try to use the controller ,nothing happens .

Anyone can help ?
Does your xpadder window look like this?
oXl7B3Z.png

In general I do not trait around the sword. The only specific trait (cooldown reduction) is unnecessary because it only affects two skills with short CDs already.

To get into the nitty-gritty, we have to specify game mode. In PvP I use sword/torch and shortbow. I'm not a fan of pairing dagger with sword; the skills are redundant. When my ranger ventures into WvW I use a warhorn offhand; I would probably use it in PvP too if I ran power instead of conditions. I don't actually PvE with my ranger. :p

People absolutely run axe/torch and sword/whichever in PvP. But whether it's traps or spirits, I rely on the shortbow to finish combo fields. So goodbye axe. I tried to make axe work for a while with my Beastmaster builds, but eh.

I haven't actually touched PvP at all with my Ranger. So far I've only doing PvE.

While fiddling around with the traits I've made a few interesting builds.

One is a power/vitality build focused on increasing greatsword damage (as a main weapon) with a longbow in the second set since the longbow is like the greatsword in that it does not rely on conditions for damage.

The other one I'm not sure of in terms of viability but I found a way to perma stack regeneration and swiftness. Testing it during some fights I managed to get around one minute of swiftness and regeneration stacked on myself and nearby allies before the fight ended (champion risen). Maybe this one could be good for WvW? Since you could stack swiftness on your allies until the buff time cap (whatever that is).

Retro

GAFGuild.com is back up, for what it's worth. I know we've got a few new players, so here's our guild policy page for them... and a few returning players who might need to migrate to SBI, so here's the page for that.

I'll try to be on most of today, if any new / returning players would like some help getting to all the various waypoints you'll probably need for missions, I'll be around to help with that.

Also, Ranger sword animations are so damn janky I find it borderline unplayable. That is all.

Proof that I'm already the future: Razor Nostromo shows up in the Ender's Game movie:

TjmaRJU.jpg

(Movie wasn't bad. Hyper-compressed, if you've not read the book a lot would seem weird, should have been a trilogy or something, the actor playing Ender was great though).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom