• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moondrop

Banned
Yeah, but avoid. Not prevent it from slipping.

Fair enough; I appear to have over-interpreted. But I will cite confusion by way of their poor English. When the author writes "walk" he surely does not mean to refer to the RP walk button; otherwise there is no distinction whatsoever between walking and running in GW2. A total disregard for the game mechanics.

Just got out of a giant 100+ player fight over a supply camp in the FA borderland. It lasted almost 20 minutes. It was insane. I wish I had shots to show, but no matter what I try, screenshots don't ever capture the sheer scale of fights in WvW.

Katoki

harathi hinterlands finally complete. Wow, that actually took less timer then expected. Now to decide where to take the ranger form here. Logically it would be south, but i've done those zones way too much for my tastes. I'm actually thinking of instead going to Ebonhawke, and working my way up towards FG.

I've, quite literally, never completed any of the ascalon zones before. Could be interesting.

The Ascalonian zones are pretty cool if you only play in the human zones. Should be much less barren now with the mega server system.

This was new to me. Apparently it's normal? Was supah fun. 10+ golems
BWZDyOZ.jpg

sNyXDrc.jpg

Retro

rumored to be more "open world" - reminded me of your idea for Halo4.

Ah, didn't know people paid any attention to my mega posts. I just assume the folks who don't have me on ignore just see my wall of text and skip right past.

The Ascalonian zones are pretty cool if you only play in the human zones. Should be much less barren now with the mega server system.

So far i've yet to run into a barren zone since the patch. Seems like a lot of new alts, which means everyone is still trying to fill out that trait list.

Will be interesting to see how long that lasts, honestly. As time goes on, I think there will be fewer and fewer trait hunting. I'm not looking forward to it on the alt after this one. It is something of a grind.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
You know it's funny, with how many important things this game doesn't really go out of its way to explain to you, it will put up a very annoying popup that tells you double tapping movement keys makes you roll... every battle... even in the 10th battle you have done that in... can I turn off tips?

You know it's funny, with how many important things this game doesn't really go out of its way to explain to you, it will put up a very annoying popup that tells you double tapping movement keys makes you roll... every battle... even in the 10th battle you have done that in... can I turn off tips?

Usually if you close the tooltip with the little X on its window, it doesn't come back at all. Strange.

jA0RDhM.jpg

That moment where you hope someone resses you.

Atomski

So I just started this game back up after a year+ hiatus. I have a level 71 Warrior and honestly have not a clue of what is going on. Almost want to just start fresh..

But at the same time I enjoyed the warrior class. Only reason I stopped playing is my friends and at release it seemed impossible to get in the gaf guild. Hopefully I can start playing with people there to hold my interest.

Retro

So I just started this game back up after a year+ hiatus. I have a level 71 Warrior and honestly have not a clue of what is going on. Almost want to just start fresh..

But at the same time I enjoyed the warrior class. Only reason I stopped playing is my friends and at release it seemed impossible to get in the gaf guild. Hopefully I can start playing with people there to hold my interest.

Must have been really early, the first week or so had issues with guild membership. Post your name.#### and someone will get you into the guild ASAP.

Jira

The only big thing I do really agree with from the people roasting GW2 is I don't think the game does a very good job of defining how you should play in a dungeon early on. That is the game doesn't do the best job of defining how you should play while you're out in the world, it's why you see so many people say it's all a mindless Zergfest.

Granted, every MMO gets a label like that. EVE is just a spreadsheet simulator, WoW is just one shitty raid after another, etc.

What's with the sudden change to a Devy avatar?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
lol that was so confusing then d/c'd

not too bad since the event was way over my head. I got poisoned and my regen was barely keeping me level against it so I was gonna die when my regen ended.

Is this game hard to get into since if you start now you've missed tons of the "living story" content?

Not at all. Now is actually the best time to get in, since we're in-between seasons. As for the content you missed, it was temporary, so just reading a summary of what happened will get you up to speed (in short; a crazy Sylvari went nuts, blew up a city, and likely unleashed a dragon).

mid83

Not at all. Now is actually the best time to get in, since we're in-between seasons. As for the content you missed, it was temporary, so just reading a summary of what happened will get you up to speed (in short; a crazy Sylvari went nuts, blew up a city, and likely unleashed a dragon).

When does Season 2 start?

Hey guys, can any of you invite me to the guild? My username is Patata Frita.2805. Thanks!
Can I get an Invite to the Guild too? My username is Twoface Tomahawk.4617

Welcome both of you. Make sure you represent the guild, in the Guild Window (G) so that you can see guild chat.

Is this game hard to get into since if you start now you've missed tons of the "living story" content?

First living story was interesting but almost everything was temporary except for the last few updates. You can still get into the game because the personal story and dungeon story have nothing to do with the living story.

Loving story did some damage to Kessex Hills and destroyed Lion's Arch and possibly awoken another elder dragon so I think this is perfect time to start up because you can get familiar with the game for a few weeks before they start the new Living Story season which I guess will be influenced by what happened in the first season but you won't need to have done it to understand what is happening.

Here is a quick summary of what happened in the first season of Living Story:
That's part of the epilogue to the last Living Story, which is still active. Here's a quick summary of Season One:
An extremely gifted but rebellious Sylvari named Ceara, while accumulating an alarming amount of information, took part in an Asuran experiment that basically drove her insane and or opened a suppressed part of her mind that allowed an Elder Dragon to manipulate her. She then took on the name Scarlet Briar and started to unite various groups to take advantage of their technology or magic. Her goal was to find streams of magical energy that naturally run throughout the planet, tap into one of them, and divert the flow of magic towards an Elder dragon, awakening it. It just so happened that the optimal stream was right under Lion's Arch, which she promptly invaded, burned to the ground, and began drilling through. The characters you met in the bar were all picked up at various parts of the story, and were there at the end when the players kill Scarlet, but not before she jammed the drill, allowing it to finish the job and wake the dragon.

The Cowboy

I'm considering getting back into the game, i stopped playing around the Guardian retaliation nerfs and the introduction of the ascended rings/fractals. When i left i had a full Knights set on my Guardian with Berserker jewels (and similar decent gear on my D/D elementalist), I know from reading the patch notes even more Ascended gear was added and as such I'm wondering a few things.

Are the Ascended items still generally for the fractals?, and can i just go strait ahead without bothering with gearing up again in all the new open world PvE content? (basically is the gear i had back then still considered good?) - i noticed 80 is still the cap (thank god) and would just really like to know if i really need to start gearing up again.

Also, regarding the clan, is there an EU one or is it global (i forget how the GW2 system works)?.

Shiokazu

I'm considering getting back into the game, i stopped playing around the Guardian retaliation nerfs and the introduction of the ascended rings/fractals. When i left i had a full Knights set on my Guardian with Berserker jewels (and similar decent gear on my D/D elementalist), I know from reading the patch notes even more Ascended gear was added and as such I'm wondering a few things.

Are the Ascended items still generally for the fractals?, and can i just go strait ahead without bothering with gearing up again in all the new open world PvE content? (basically is the gear i had back then still considered good?) - i noticed 80 is still the cap (thank god) and would just really like to know if i really need to start gearing up again.

Also, regarding the clan, is there an EU one or is it global (i forget how the GW2 system works)?.

everything is still the same. they didnt change anything about gear. you can still enjoy the game like you did with your current set... maybe you would like to review the runes, but most unlikely.

There's almost zero reason to go for Ascended armour and weapons, except if you really want to inch out a few more numbers on your damage, or if you want to build up a collection of account-bound items. Ascended is now account-bound, so rings you get from fractals, armour and weapons you find or craft, can be given to any character on your account. So in that sense, they're worthwhile to have - like if you make a full Knight ascended armour set, and then later decide to go full Zerk or something, you can give the Knight set to another character.

But no, you don't need Ascended for anything, except perhaps Fractals - but even then, only if you're doing the really high-tier stuff. Usually when you hit that point, you're getting rings as drops in the Fractals anyway, and Agony Resist now drops as items you can combine and slot into Ascended items, so building up some Agony Resist is pretty easy.

A Guardian in Knights with Zerk jewels is pretty much set. You'll want to check your Traits since that system has changed a lot and reset what you chose - but it's free to retrait now, and much easier since they reduced the number of points involved. But there are new Grandmaster traits to collect (or buy straight if you have the gold and skillpoints).

As for the guild, ideally you'd want to be on SBI (NA server). Guilds are regional (so EU, NA and China are split) I believe.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

You're fine. Nothing in the game comes close to requiring full Ascended gear, even Fractals. Make sure to set your traits again and if using 2-handed weapons, you can put an extra sigil in them now.

Unfortunately the regions are not cross-compatible and if you're on an EU server you can't play with the GAFGuild, but if you are on any NA server you can. If you're in an EU one and are interested in joining anyway we have an immigration fund you could apply for to get a transfer: http://gafguild.com/index.php?threads/stormbluff-isle-immigration-fund.312/

A collection of interesting notes on what GW2 players in China think about the game since it just launched there, via reddit:

Most players are obsessed by the game, they love everything in the game, they always discuss the skills, the builds, the dialogue of NPCs, the jumping puzzles, character appearance and how hard the dungeon is...WVW is always in queue and they are looking forward to the update of living world. In short, most feedback is positive.

ByAequ5.png

Yes, LA is destroyed, they gather in Gandarian Fields now.They asked in Tieba (like Reddit) why NPCs are celebrating Scarlet's demise.

The biggest thing I heard is that the lack of a sub fee is absolutely huge to them. Dunno how popular it is, but I've heard that aspect was really well liked.

I'm a chinese player in the EU, I've been looking at the behaviour of chinese players on the game and so far it's been generating good hype.

• Lot of complaints about server/connection issues.
  • Largely impressed with game design, especially the attention to detail (random NPC interactions are often cited) and the pacing (no need to grind just to keep up is a big plus) which is very attractive for working adults/casual players
  • Friendly atmosphere (no open world PvP, shared nodes etc) also a refreshing change of pace
  • Payment model (even with their VIP system, which is very affordable especially since you can buy gems with gold) is generally well-received

General criticisms are basically from people who are too used to/prefer the traditional grindy asian-MMO type games, complaining about the level downscale/no open world pvp preventing them from showing off epic gear and pwning nubs in low level zones etc.

Most common compliment is about the difference in pacing. They seem amused about the decrease in intensity of grinding. And that the game has more to offer than reaching max level (I dunno it seems to be an obsession they have).

Also, new on the gem store:

Fuzzy Cat Hat - 200 gems

rkP8rq5.jpg

Fuzzy Leopard hat - 200 gems

x9XqRic.jpg

Fuzzy Hylek Hat - 200 gems

9PPtqmJ.jpg

Mini Polar Bear Cub - 400 gems (available for 7 days only)

UBiqFPU.jpg

More shots at dulfy: http://dulfy.net/2014/05/06/gw2-fuzzy-animal-hats-and-mini-polar-bear-in-gemstore/

And via reddit:

Gold to gems
Fuzzy hat: 19g 44s
All fuzzy hats: 600 gems | 58g 32s
Mini polar bear: 38g 88s

*Price for 100 gems is 9g 72s as of writing this*

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
ByAequ5.png

Holy hell :p

That mini polar bear cub is overpriced and I basically have minis I like on all my characters now but I still wannit

I was talking to a legit Arah P1 seller last night, because I saw the listing and I was curious about it.

Talk about a good way to make money. The warrior solos the dungeon up to the final boss using all sorts of mob skips and such, takes about 30 minutes they claimed.

Then, they list, get 8g from each person joining, and then solo-kill the final boss.

The dungeon gives 3g on completion, so they personally earn 32g + 3g. And of course, they can repeat it for the 32g as much as they want, because there's no DR or cap on people paying them.

So with just two hours of play, a Warrior can earn 128g.

TP flipping aside, I'm starting to see why there's so much gold in the economy, and why being sub-1000g seems to put you in the "poor" bracket.

Ceres

Banned
That WvW queue is huge (and I guess totally expected since that's why they even initially launched EotM). But I have to think that queue is also the blue team which seems to be extremely lopsided in that matchup.

I also want that frog hat >.<

What are a Devy and Epicloud? I only listen to late 90s pop so I have no idea what you guys are talking about.

Devy = Devin Townsend. One of the few respectable Canadians out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NraG_UFkkFY

Proven

I've been away, because of Heroes of the Storm. I've commented before that this game feels like what would happen if you asked the GW2 devs to create a League clone. I will continue to be away, because of Heroes of the Storm. Will be back soon, or learn to better balance both.

Teggy

I was talking to a legit Arah P1 seller last night, because I saw the listing and I was curious about it.

Talk about a good way to make money. The warrior solos the dungeon up to the final boss using all sorts of mob skips and such, takes about 30 minutes they claimed.

Then, they list, get 8g from each person joining, and then solo-kill the final boss.

What is the buyer getting for that 8g?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
3g, whatever drops out of the boss chest, Arah dungeon tokens. Also possible achievements points.
Most likely, someone willing to spend 8g on a run like that is paying for the completion of that path for the first time on their account. Arah 1 was the last path I needed for Dungeon Master (complete every dungeon path) and it's a doozy. Paying for the run allows you to "beat" it without having actually managed to do so.

I know that's what you likely meant by "possible achievement points" but I just wanted to clarify for Teggy. Paying 8g for 3g, 60 Arah tokens and a dungeon standard boss chest wouldn't be very motivating.

According to the seller, the primary reason people pay for Arah runs is to finish the Dungeon Master achievement track, and for Arah dungeon tokens so they can get the nice looking armour. Paying 8g to get the tokens in an instant, instead of having to spend 30-40 minutes with a group (or longer), is very appealing for some people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom