• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a heads up - the Bloody Prince outfit is back on the gem store. Now that outfits are a thing, it makes a really excellent dress for female casters (I have it on my alt necro and she looks awesome).

(Additional tip: if you turn off helmet display on your "real" clothes it also applies to outfits - great for turning off the Prince makeup or the hideous hat on the pirate costume)

GAF has an Euro guild or only US?
US only (Stormbluff Isle). There was a Euro one when game launched but it quickly died. We have many EU players playing with us in US and they have no lag issue.

If you are in an EU and want to transfer there is 3 options.

1. You are rich and you use your gems to transfer. It's 1600gems to transfer I think.

2. If you are low level (just started) you can delete all your toons and when you start a new one it will ask which region you want to be in so you can select NA and Stormbluff Isle.

3. You apply for the GAF transfer fund where current gaffers collect gold to help people transfer. http://gafguild.com/index.php?threads/stormbluff-isle-immigration-fund.312/ . You might be 3rd in line for this if you apply now.

Zeroth

Some of you may recall I love to moan about necros and lack of easy stability (or at least the available methods don't appeal to me); I just realised that the new trait system allows me to take the necros-have-easy-stability trait whenever it's needed and then switch back. Hello fractals harpies!
I still have Vigour and condition damage against objects though, don't worry.

You mean you don't use plague form everywhere?

Taffer

You mean you don't use plague form everywhere?

It would let me ignore a single harpy's knockback and then have no elite for the next three minutes (ie all the other harpies in that section). The Death Shroud trait line has a GM trait granting 3s of stability every time I pop into DS and a master trait bringing the DS cooldown to 7s, so I'm thinking that'll be better for that bit. I can live without the traits in the power line for brief periods.

Ceres

Banned
US only (Stormbluff Isle). There was a Euro one when game launched but it quickly died. We have many EU players playing with us in US and they have no lag issue.

If you are in an EU and want to transfer there is 3 options.

1. You are rich and you use your gems to transfer. It's 1600gems to transfer I think.

I'm pretty sure its still 2400 gems to transfer to SBI. It'll be back to 1600 gems most likely after May 30.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Looks like majority is returning players. According to our friend the sale has done really well. I suggested they keep game at this price all the time.
Good to hear. I was actually thinking the same thing about the price. Seem to be a sweet spot for randoms to jump in who may have not had the interest prior due to the price.
I won't get into the whole market dynamics of why but this is actually not a good idea. This is a perfect price point to offer frequent limited-time sales at until a permanent price drop to $40, at which point they can do limited-time sales at $20.
Recently updated the OS on my laptop, which apparently broke EVERYTHING. I'm performing a clean boot over the next few days at which point I'll get on and bother you again.
Jeez, godspeed my friend.

Moondrop

Banned
A gear comparison using a proper definition of Effective Health (as promised)

Introduction: This is a comparison across gear types for my warrior shout healer build featuring a better definition of Effective Health.

Methods: This model is for my warrior shout healer build during heavy ZvZ fighting. Some key assumptions: exotic gear, 90 second interval for the Effective Health calculation, wielding hammer the whole time. I will answer questions on the model but won't belabor now.

Results:

Discussion: Both the table and graph are organized by the average of Effective Power and Effective Health; this can be interpreted as optimizing the trade-off between offense and defense. There are many take-aways from these results, so I'll just mention a few:
1) This is a much more intuitive model of Effective Health. Settler (major toughness, minor healing) provides the greatest survivability; Cleric is higher than Sentinel; Celestial is identified as a defensive set.
2) Knight gear provides a shout healer with the best optimization of offense and defense.
3) Cleric gear is a close second on average and provides almost full tankiness (all while neglecting the difference in healing output).

Limitations: The 90 second Effective Health duration may appear arbitrary, but it's a reasonable estimation of the minimum time between "resets" during a protracted WvW battle. I could substitute any duration. This model neglects condition damage, however that is a valid assumption for my shout healer build.

Conclusion: I will continue to run Cleric gear in WvW, but will give Knight a run for any shout healing in sPvP.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm sorry for going full derp here trying to interpret that, but what is it that changes your effective health with that build over a 90s interval outside of skill usage? Is it just the passive from Healing Signet and/or traits?

Concept17

It really boils down to what skills you take into the fight, or how you trait your profession. Almost every profession can load up to be bunker, some a bit more than others, but then you sacrifice damage. Engineers and Warriors, for example, can be made almost impossible to kill - but usually they can't do much in return other than keep a point or harass your orb carrier. I can't speak much for other professions though, I mostly play Engineer.

Using Rocket Boots, an Engineer can close gaps or escape (it breaks out of cripple, slow, and one more thing I forget what). Having Toolkit equipped lets you run in with Gear Shield (blocks all attacks for 3 seconds), you can use Prybar to slap heavy confusion on a single target (then they end up killing themselves, especially if they're a burst warrior), and so on. It's very situational, you're going to have to basically just keep playing and find what works for your playstyle. Putting a Soldiers/Knight trinket in your trinket slot will help too.

Thanks. Might have to use one of my free level 20 tokens on an Engi. Sounds fun. Right now my Necro seems to have the most survivability while my Ele and Ranger have the least.

Zeroth

It would let me ignore a single harpy's knockback and then have no elite for the next three minutes (ie all the other harpies in that section). The Death Shroud trait line has a GM trait granting 3s of stability every time I pop into DS and a master trait bringing the DS cooldown to 7s, so I'm thinking that'll be better for that bit. I can live without the traits in the power line for brief periods.

I was being facetious, silly.

I'll steal your idea now.

Thorgal

I just realized that adhering to the guild schedule is nearly impossible during the working week .

today for example there is the WVW power hour scheduled at 17:00 pacific time .
However , as i live in The EU that would be at 02 :00 in the morning making it too late if i don't want to show up at work looking like the living dead :p

Hope you guys do not mind .

Weekends should be no problem though .

hythloday

I just realized that adhering to the guild schedule is nearly impossible during the working week .

However , as i live in The EU that would be at 02 :00 in the morning making it too late if i don't want to show up at work looking like the living dead :p

It's not a problem at all. No GAF events are ever mandatory, it's always a 'show up if you want' deal. Also the 'WvW power hour' doesn't usually happen (formally). It depends on if there are people wanting to group up.

pharmx

Thanks for the invite, glad to be part of a family again.

Kinda bummed I missed out on the living story stuff, guess I won't be able to rock that backpiece everyone seems to have.

Ceres

Banned
female charr wearing winter coat looks silly

Lies.

9A2Sb06.jpg

The WvW power hour isn't really something formally done. I also think the weekday mission makeups have stopped as there usually weren't many needing them so often hard to complete anything but a bounty. Sunday afternoon a lot of those that can't make Saturday night show up.

Trey

Kinda bummed I missed out on the living story stuff, guess I won't be able to rock that backpiece everyone seems to have.

Be happy you'll be around for season 2. Which by all rights should be much better seeing as Anet has had two years of general game improvements, a year's worth of living story feedback, and a new cinematic engine to toy around with.

Moondrop

Banned
I'm sorry for going full derp here trying to interpret that, but what is it that changes your effective health with that build over a 90s interval outside of skill usage? Is it just the passive from Healing Signet and/or traits?
Effective Health incorporates all forms of healing. So outside of the shouts, it's signet, traits, sigils, and food.

And since this project had me digging up my Photobucket account, how about a throwback shot?

Why does the installers file check thing so slow?

It literally would have been much faster for me to delete what I had and start downloading from scratch.

Found on reddit:

mPofHYK.png

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/24yi9p/guild_wars_2_map_guide/

This map plots out the three main paths you can take while leveling through the world of Tyria. The dotted lines display the paths to enter and exit each zone.

It also displays which Personal Story Chapters occur in Each Zone.

It is to be noted that there are usually several entrances and exits to each zone. These paths are for leveling purposes only.

Also: I made a post over in "that thread", but the second half is the important bit, where I muse over the harm "trick bosses" might do in terms letting players learn how to apply their unique toolbox to encounters.

Found on reddit:

MAP PIC

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/24yi9p/guild_wars_2_map_guide/

Also: I made a post over in "that thread", but the second half is the important bit, where I muse over the harm "trick bosses" might do in terms letting players learn how to apply their unique toolbox to encounters.

This looks like a great map for my newly level 80 alts to utilize and open up basic waypoints everywhere. I might even be able to do missions properly on Bigger Fatter Lump if I follow this by Saturday.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

Yeah, the backpieces tended to a major form of reward for taking part in a living story chapter. Which one are you referring to? :)
The WvW power hour isn't really something formally done. I also think the weekday mission makeups have stopped as there usually weren't many needing them so often hard to complete anything but a bounty. Sunday afternoon a lot of those that can't make Saturday night show up.
We should take the Weekday makeups off the schedule, really. Focusing everything on the weekend has been really good for giving us a little Influence cushion, and between the big Saturday Night Fever and plenty helping out with makeups lately I think everybody's been able to get their comms.

If anyone in the guild is specifically not able to ever make either the Saturday 9EST or Sunday 3EST mission, please post or send me an in-game and we'll see if we can work something out. However most likely at that point you'd want to check out the Guild Missions subreddit on reddit and hob aboard a public one.
Effective Health incorporates all forms of healing. So outside of the shouts, it's signet, traits, sigils, and food.

And since this project had me digging up my Photobucket account, how about a throwback shot?
Hmmm how do you factor in active skill usage to Effective Health?

And hey that's me and Katoki and Ash! I've like all reversed the colors of that armor set, and added the Whispers coat. <3

Because I was curious about something, I made this graphic for myself so I could visualize it. This is the entire Elementalist toolbox, as it were. Realistically, a player might only stick to one weapon (since Elementalist has no weapon-swap, and for good reason), a preferred healing skill, a preferred elite, and a set of three or more preferred utility skills.

However, as I've seen from many solo runs, a really enthusiastic Elementalist will use almost all of these skills, by swapping weapons from inventory before many encounters, using many of the utilities, and even using different healing skills depending on what they're doing.

This doesn't even take into account Traits, which add additional effects and passive abilities, like on-dodge effects.

This also doesn't show Racials, or skills that have auto-chaining skills that follow up from the first, or double-tap skills that require a second press to do an activation of an entirely new skill.

As Proven pointed out, this also does not include the skills from summoned weapons.

pGojDIQ.png

In a vacuum, the Elementalist has a skill toolbox that contains:

60 weapon skills.
4 healing skills
3 elite
20 utility skills

Which makes for a total of 87 skills a player needs to understand if they want to really get into what their profession has to offer. Now realistically, even with from-inventory weapon swapping, average play will only use about half that, but that's still around 40 skills.

Just for contrast, the Warlock in World of Warlock has 54 skills, and will at most use half of them simply due to skill tree specialization.

I had wanted to go through the Elementalist skills and make a tally for how many pure damage skills there are, compared to ones that offer support (cripples, slows, etc), and ones that offer healing, but I found that the Elementalist is surprisingly colour-coded. Most fire skills are damage, most water are support/healing, most lightning are control, and most earth are self-buff or damage mitigation.

It looks daunting, and yet... I'm playing an Elementalist right now and it's pretty straightforward. I know there is a lot of criticism levied against Guild Wars 2's limited skill bar, but the limit and auto-skill assignment makes a profession much easier to digest for me personally.

In Guild Wars 1 you had this giant toolbox of skills, but you could only slot six, and not change them mid-mission or out in the field, so if you made a poor build you were screwed unless you went back to town, losing all your progress. If you looked up builds online, they all involved skills you had to trek to go capture, and while many enjoyed that, it made following suggestions from other players very difficult. "Oh, you're on that mission? Just use X build". Except you can't, because the area where you need to be to get two or three skills for that build, is past the mission you're stuck on. And so on.

In World of Warcraft, when I was at the peak of my raid game as a Shaman, I used perhaps 20 skills at most, with the rest hidden away. Many people liked to have every single skill on their UI all the time, "just in case", but it was so edge-case scenario that they'd need them, it was really a waste of UI space. Heck, I even installed a few mods in WoW that basically hid skills unless they were needed as a follow-up skill, since healing rotations in WoW by the time Cataclysm rolled around was really pure rotation, and knowing who to use the rotation on. I know people in my raid group used addons like Spellflash to literally tell them which spell to use when, and they did as good as most of the people who learned how to know which spell to use when, themselves.

It's funny how, in spite of having generally more skills than it's peers, GW2 still applies a "less is more" philosophy in how it presents those skills to the player. It can give the impression of the game being overly simplistic, however. But I think that really boils down to player attitude. If someone wants to play simply, they will. If someone wants to play in a complex manner, they can. I'm glad the game supports both styles, even if one may be "inefficient". But fun is always more important than efficiency. :p

Bonus: A video of a Guardian in PvP being a total jerk - made me laugh: http://youtu.be/FE9DDY8w1Hk

Proven

Miktar, you forgot to include the skills from the conjured weapons. The toolbox should be 25 skills more. I'd also personally group the utilities in sets of four instead of five.

Ashodin

That is my vigil set I acquired after getting level 80. First exotic transmuted gear. Those shoulders though... Blegh

Katoki

No shot will be taken without the person print screening in it unless they are going out of their way to do it in an attempt to capture a landscape. It's just a rule in this game.

Edit: Also, I think I'm flattered. I'm not sure yet though.

Moondrop

Banned
I had wanted to go through the Elementalist skills and make a tally for how many pure damage skills there are, compared to ones that offer support (cripples, slows, etc), and ones that offer healing
I did this for my staff ele; I'll see if I can dig up the chart tonight. I recall the results were a surprising number of direct damage attacks, then CC/snares, then heals, and just a couple of condition damage attacks.

Indeed, the reason eles can manage their attunements is that they each correspond to a function. Even for staff ele, which has CC/snare skills on Water, Earth, and Air, I can still confidently pick among them based on the situation. But on the flip side, the attunements for the trident feel much less defined, such that I often become paralyzed choosing one in combat and respond poorly.

But let's also note that eles don't really use every skill in practice. For staff at least, you shouldn't ever have to resort to your auto-attacks. And let's not cite conjures as 5 more skills; really only the Ice Bow is viable in today's meta, and I only see people using two of its skills. Besides as a staff ele I need my utility skills for survival.

Edit: Also, I think I'm flattered. I'm not sure yet though.
You should be flattered.

I'm hoping that they'll overhaul the utility popup window in-game eventually to group skills more nicely, rather than the weird unsorted list it seems to be. As an Engineer, having to try and hunt-and-peck out my turrets, or elixirs, is a real pain sometimes.

Katoki

Is there not a way to see your ms in game?

Also, Aegis transparent shield thingy is still my favorite spell effect from any mmo ever.

Aegis also looks pretty cool with the Zenith Ward skin unlocked through achievement points. I haven't tried it with the Tormented Shield yet.

Lunar15

Is there not a way to see your ms in game?

Also, Aegis transparent shield thingy is still my favorite spell effect from any mmo ever.

It's pretty cool until you really just want to see your shield without some weird glowy shield emblem clipping through it. Especially when you're a guardian and it activates every time you draw your weapon.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
And let's not cite conjures as 5 more skills; really only the Ice Bow is viable in today's meta, and I only see people using two of its skills. Besides as a staff ele I need my utility skills for survival.
Well... just to offer some perspective here, the fiery greatsword skills weren't split out and tons of people use them, there are still Lightning Hammer builds that are pretty popular for leveling and for dungeons, and more to my point not everyone cares much or at all about the meta in coming up with a build. They don't stop counting as skills just because you consider them useless: I had a lot of fun playing with the Earth Shield for a while :p

kiguel182

Is the Sunday 3EST PM? That's actually a good hour for me, awesome.

Also, what level would one need to be? What kind of "activities" do you do?

Retro

Is the Sunday 3EST PM? That's actually a good hour for me, awesome.

Also, what level would one need to be? What kind of "activities" do you do?

Yep, mission makeups are at 3pm EST.

We do whatever Guild Missions we have people for; we used to have a hard time getting enough people to comfortably do all of them, but lately it hasn't been a problem.

We do a Guild Bounty (15 minutes to find and kill specific enemies, we usually only focus on one because people just need their commendations), Challenge (a specific task like defending a position or taking out a bunch of targets simultaneously), Puzzle (a sort of open-world mini-dungeon with emphasis on coordination) and Rush (an obstacle course where you are turned into an animal and much avoid traps, enemies, etc.).

The missions are spread out across the game, so there isn't really a specific level range I can give you. At least 30 would be best, but if we end up with a rush in, say, Frostgorge Sound, you'd have to be 80. Because it randomly selects the mission, we don't really have any control over it.

kiguel182

That sounds really cool.

I had no idea how guilds worked lol Hopefully I can get decent framerates during those moments, sounds fun.

I'm only at level 32 right now but I'll try to increase it fast when I get the time.

kiguel182

Nah, there's no need to rush. We do them every weekend and the rewards aren't anything you need to worry about just yet anyways: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Guild_Commendation_Trader

At this point I just do them because it's fun to get a shitload of guildies online and in mumble doing something together.

yup, if the equipment is level 80 it will take me awhile.

And I agree, fun is the priority here. I just want to be high enough to actually help and not keep dying.

Moondrop

Banned
Well... just to offer some perspective here, the fiery greatsword skills weren't split out and tons of people use them, there are still Lightning Hammer builds that are pretty popular for leveling and for dungeons, and more to my point not everyone cares much or at all about the meta in coming up with a build. They don't stop counting as skills just because you consider them useless: I had a lot of fun playing with the Earth Shield for a while :p

My response was inartful; please allow me to clarify:

1) That I suggest you shouldn't need to use the staff auto-attacks doesn't mean I think they're useless; they all have their place. But in almost every situation the auto-attack is sub-optimal compared to some other option. My overall thesis is that ele skill is a matter of picking the right tool quickly. Thus in practice an ele is choosing between less than their maximum number of skills.

2) I shouldn't have used the term "meta;" I'm not talking about high level play. I only meant that I often see people using less than five of the conjured skills, then immediately drop the weapon. People only take Fiery Great Sword because the other elites are even worse. Lightning Hammer builds are interesting, but in my experience only work when you can tightly control the conditions via blind spam and blast combos of teammates. In less structured conditions, pain.

3) Just because conjures can be used doesn't mean they're in a good place. I love them conceptually, but I find the execution flawed. Ideally conjures would work on two levels: a single conjure would complement a particular weapon set, while a conjure build could be created using multiple conjures. But practically neither is truly viable. As a staff ele I should be able to take shield for defense or axe for melee attacking, but neither truly works outside of limited PvE situations. And I would jump for a multiple conjure melee ele to succeed, but alas.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I gotcha. I agree about staff auto-attacks in any event, the only reasons I'd ever end up autoattacking an enemy in PvE is laziness, running out the clock on something about to die to have a fresh volley for the next target, or to keep weakness on something (a particularly high damage elite) with the earth one.

BraXzy

I really have the urge to play but my computer has thrown a fit again and won't turn on.

I'm really starting to warm to thr Thief now that I am using a dagger/pistol and shortbow combo. Levelling still feels a bit slow but I'm enjoying it regardless. 100%'d my first area yesterday in Hoelbrak. I should probably find somewhere more exotic now, pretty much all I've seen so far is ice :L

jyoung188

Just got this game for $25 on the latest sale. Played about 6 hours so far and I'm really enjoying it, first MMO I've played in ages.

My user name is: JLYOUNG.8693

I'd appreciate an invite into the GAF guild although I have no idea what I'm doing haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom