• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once something is in my Wardrobe I can vendor it?

Once the skin is unlocked, you no longer need to keep the item you got it from. You unlock skins by salvaging, soulbinding, or destroying items (but not vendoring). But yeah, once you have the skin, you can sell the item if you want.

Ceres

Banned
Once the skin is unlocked, you no longer need to keep the item you got it from. You unlock skins by salvaging, soulbinding, or destroying items (but not vendoring). But yeah, once you have the skin, you can sell the item if you want.

Oddly you also get skins by toileting them. I guess its considered "destroying"

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I've put a lot of hours into this game and I only just realized a couple days ago that you can use your damage abilities on your current set then weapon switch and use the damage ones on there to combo them for a nice spike in damage.
Bear in mind that you may have combo fields on one set that you can finish using the other, too.
Is this true? I..I feel so betrayed :'(
No... Coriolanus and Zeroth just have a weird sort of "please-kick-me-from-the-guild" complex :D
I hope people in the guild don't hate me yet, I ask a lot of questions :3
I hate you for NOT ASKING ENOUGH QUESTIONS MUAHAHAHAHA
They removed the troll?
Well he's still in there (random as always) but with the new scaling his HP is pretty forgiving. I imagine he would still wipe a group of 30-35 that haven't fought him before.

But not me :>

Proven

I worry that any reference to S2 will be long outdated before we even get to OT5 and we'll be stuck with a title that references something that happened in the past and really doesn't have much relevance later in time.

I'm fine with references to Maguuma, if only because it'll be the first new explorable area since Southsun that doesn't feel like a minigame or special event area.

I'm not quite sure if necros have combo fields like Thief/Ranger do, but don't forget you can do some interesting stuff with Death Shroud.

Quite a few but only Poison, Light, Dark, Ethereal. The only problem is having so few Blast finishers, very limited Projectile finishers, a single Leap finisher (for an underwater weapon, derp), and two Whirl finishers (again, only underwater). Necro works best in conjunction with another player finishing their combos.

These charts may be a bit out of date, but they still show distribution nicely:

Fields by Profession

NZINwh.png

Finishers by Profession

d7TvRh.jpg

Proven

I think Ranger's Water Spirit also gives a Water Field too? I think I'm misremembering when it was first shown on the Ready Up.

Zeroth

Quite a few but only Poison, Light, Dark, Ethereal. The only problem is having so few Blast finishers, very limited Projectile finishers, a single Leap finisher (for an underwater weapon, derp), and two Whirl finishers (again, only underwater). Necro works best in conjunction with another player finishing their combos.

Yeah, when you take in consideration skill fields. I was talking about weapon skills though, since Vanilla was speakin in the context of switching weapons for combos.

you're gonna make me run my support build every time we are in a dungeon together just so I can tally how many times each of us go down.

You're the thief Hawk, you have no silly excuses!

Moondrop

Banned
Yeah, when you take in consideration skill fields. I was talking about weapon skills though, since Vanilla was speakin in the context of switching weapons for combos.
They've got a poison combo field on staff. But it's a Mark, so it must be triggered.

No... Coriolanus and Zeroth just have a weird sort of "please-kick-me-from-the-guild" complex :D

Hey man, in the wise words of trixie, the other day
Trix: Hey, anyone seen hawkian?
he's not on. Why?
Trix: daily reviver is up. I can usually do it in a couple of minutes if I group with him.

Better answer for the troll thing would be "no no, apparently he joined the guild". :3

Staff, 3=>4. That's about it. Methinks they've given necros so few finishers due to Epidemic.

Can't believe I`ve only started using that thing recently.

On the survivability thing, now that my Guardian Cleric set is done and I've got a mace and shield, you gents will REALLY have to go out of your way to die. Me, Kos, Callunah and.... a guy with a complicated name were managing to survive battles with more than double our numbers yesterday in the wubs :D

Bear in mind that you may have combo fields on one set that you can finish using the other, too.

I'm only level 8 right now so I haven't really unlocked any fields. I'll definitely be experimenting with those once I do.

I'm not quite sure if necros have combo fields like Thief/Ranger do, but don't forget you can do some interesting stuff with Death Shroud.

Do tell.

These charts may be a bit out of date, but they still show distribution nicely:

*SNIP*

Thanks for this. This is a whole new aspect I'm looking into right now.

Actually what these fields remind me of are the Fields of Fonons from Tales of the Abyss. In that game certain artes would leave behind fields of different sizes of various elements (depending on the arte), if you used certain artes within those fields they would change into more powerful ones (corresponding to the field's element).

Life Blast can be specced to pierce several targets, nearly always crit, drain hp, apply debuffs, give might, the works. It's a super versatile basic attack that hits very hard.
2 teleports you to your target, thus increasing LB damage, which varies according to distance, and also applying debuffs. You've also got traits to enhance it further
3 is fear, you can trait to make fear cause quite a bit of damage. Good for interrupts.
4 is great to increase your tankitude when around several targets, will drain life force from targets and extend Death Shroud duration
5 applies a very nasty DoT that causes even more damage if the enemy likes to move around. Very good AoE.

You can also spec Death Shroud to last twice as long, gain more life force with marks or axe skills, the works. It's super versatile.

Zeroth

Any reason Not to level up crafting such as Armorsmith as high a you can while still early in the game ( lvl 18) ?

Well, it is something you need to do at some point. My recommendation though is making sure it is the crafting profession that helps your class (a ranger wouldn't see any use in doing Armorsmithing over Leatherwork). I know some people use them to level alts... but argumentatively the later levels are the easiest to level up thanks to all the dungeons and stuff you can do.

Thorgal

Well, it is something you need to do at some point. My recommendation though is making sure it is the crafting profession that helps your class (a ranger wouldn't see any use in doing Armorsmithing over Leatherwork). I know some people use them to level alts... but argumentatively the later levels are the easiest to level up thanks to all the dungeons and stuff you can do.

Well , it is for my warrior greatsword build so armor and weapon crafting seem like the obvious choice

Nope - it's actually good to do so. You're more likely to be able to craft useable gear for yourself, which in turn also gives you experience and helps you level up faster.

I would say level it as long as you have the crafting supplies. But don't go around tossing what little gold you have at crafting material if you don't have it handy.

Thanks for the info .

Ill leave it for now at lvl 50 as i want to get my second character started :

The only thing to ponder is which one will it be , elementalist or thief ?

Retro

The only thing to ponder is which one will it be , elementalist or thief ?

I have both at 80. Can't recommend one over the other as I like them both for different reasons. I would maybe give thief a try though, as it's the profession that, once I get into the mindset of how I should be playing, 'clicks' with me the hardest. That's not to say it's my favorite profession (Engineer, probably) or the one I've put the most work into gearing (Warrior, by far). It's the profession where I see how long I can go without getting touched by an enemy, challenge myself to take on packs of mobs just to see if I can, etc. where I feel like a sneaky, evasive character instead of a gameplay concept of what sneaky and evasive characters should play like.

It's like playing Batman: The MMO Profession. That should be enough. The only thing Thief is missing, in my mind, is Rifle and Staff for both long-range and Support.

Shiokazu

... today i got to believe that whoever said this had the things on his/her head right.

" people dont want a new MMO, people just want a new WoW. "

,__, 'tis just makes me worried about, if they are too many? if they make anet make just another quest based on rails theme park, like wow?

i sigh.

Levito

Banned
... today i got to believe that whoever said this had the things on his/her head right.

" people dont want a new MMO, people just want a new WoW. "

,__, 'tis just makes me worried about, if they are too many? if they make anet make just another quest based on rails theme park, like wow?

i sigh.

ArenaNet wouldn't make GW2 like WoW, if you mean that they'd change the game to accommodate things like the trinity.

Trey

i sigh.

This is why I trust Anet. These people have a vision, and have stuck with that vision rigidly from GW2's reveal to now. Through a flurry of changes and feedback, sales and playerbase fluctuations. Everything the developers have said has been in the vein of making GW2 the game they want it to be - the game they said it would be - and they have gotten plenty of flack for that attitude.

Through all that, Anet has found success. There isn't an MMO doing the things GW2 does on the market today. It's a touchstone in the genre, influencing MMOs that release in its wake. Anet was actually hiring, last I heard. The game seems as lively as ever, though we don't have any hard numbers.

Shiokazu

i hope so... i really want they to keep this kind of game, that is much more about exploration and discovery; the other ones are all cake recipe/on rails driven.

Thorgal

I have both at 80. Can't recommend one over the other as I like them both for different reasons. I would maybe give thief a try though, as it's the profession that, once I get into the mindset of how I should be playing, 'clicks' with me the hardest. That's not to say it's my favorite profession (Engineer, probably) or the one I've put the most work into gearing (Warrior, by far). It's the profession where I see how long I can go without getting touched by an enemy, challenge myself to take on packs of mobs just to see if I can, etc. where I feel like a sneaky, evasive character instead of a gameplay concept of what sneaky and evasive characters should play like.

It's like playing Batman: The MMO Profession. That should be enough. The only thing Thief is missing, in my mind, is Rifle and Staff for both long-range and Support.

I have decided to roll with an elementalist double dagger build .

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I think they've proven to NCSoft that it works to intentionally not accomodate the things that have gotten the genre to this point and be financially successful, while NCSoft is also free to pursue a tight adherence to the WoW model with other games and maximize their total profits.

I'm not sure how optimisitic I am about its chances but, I actually hope Wildstar is successful because a financially comfortable NCSoft will benefit their entire portfolio.

I'm glad GW2 doesn't have mod support. Even though I'd love some mods, like things for improving crafting and the auction house, I'm glad there isn't room for things like DBM to appear. In the MMO trinity thread, people are talking about how "epic" the Kael'Thas fight in the Eye raid was. I remember that raid. My guild did it, first time, no wipes, with pretty inexperienced raiders - because we just did what DBM told us to do. You just follow the prompts and instructions, no real effort required other than skill-checks for how well you can do what you need to do, when called upon.

DBM really kind of ruined raiding, since you had to have it installed or raid groups wouldn't take you, but if you had it the game became quite boring. I think WildStar, with it's UI mod support, may end up going the same route - everyone needing to install "raid-critical" mods, like threat meters, heal meters, and deadly-boss-mods style mods. Not a fan.

Retro

i hope so... i really want they to keep this kind of game, that is much more about exploration and discovery; the other ones are all cake recipe/on rails driven.

As others have said, I don't think you have much to worry about. Their formula has been proven to work more than well enough to continue development and a large part of that success is based on the fact that they're different from everyone else. Becoming more like other MMOs would drive away the players who have made them a success while simultaneously appealing to a group that already holds a prejudice against GW2 and will likely never give it a second glance (won't stop them from bitching about it though). The buy-to-play model also means they can't just develop new ways to keep players paying even if they're not very fun, but have to give players a real reason to log in and maybe spend some gems.

It'd be like Disney deciding to target their animated movies towards teenage boys, a group who are positively the last people who would ever want to be associated with Disney animation. Which actually happened. Several times. And failed horrifically. Even though their animation is some of, if not the highest quality animation in the world, and a lot of their movies are enjoyable "even as an adult". The little shits will line up in droves to watch something mind-numbingly infantile like Transformers.

I have decided to roll with an elementalist double dagger build .

That's actually a really fun setup too, honestly.

Hasn't the general reception to that game been very ho-hum?

Careful. The GW2 OT doesn't exist in a bubble and the same kind of people who posted in the godawful Trinity thread can just as easily read and respond in this thread, and that sort of disruptive drama doesn't help anybody.

In the interest of keeping this thread sane, don't say stuff like that, the Wildstar fan might hear you.

Levito

Banned
Careful. The GW2 OT doesn't exist in a bubble and the same kind of people who posted in the godawful Trinity thread can just as easily read and respond in this thread, and that sort of disruptive drama doesn't help anybody.

In the interest of keeping this thread sane, don't say stuff like that, the Wildstar fan might hear you.

Hahaha fair point, sir. So it's like a Bloody Mary kind of deal? :p

Though unlike a lot of the people in that trinity thread, I still enjoy other MMOs besides GW2. XIV for example is a pretty excellent game!

Lunar15

Gonna be honest here, it's not looking too good for Wildstar. I actually like the team, so I hope it does well but... hrm..

It's so hard to find skill loadout builds for Guild Wars 1 for the Heroes, that don't involve having already finished the game and done all the bizarre rituals needed to get the skills that are "best in slot".

Though unlike a lot of the people in that trinity thread, I still enjoy other MMOs besides GW2. XIV for example is a pretty excellent game!

That's the thing that gets me quite often. I tried XIV for a month but did not go back. However, I can fully admit how excellent it is, in so many ways. It just isn't for me. I don't need to go into every XIV thread and tell people how much I didn't like it, or how bad it was because it didn't do anything to make me like it. I didn't like ESO, nor WildStar, from what I played (both have really great ideas and implementations of things). It'd totally play both though, if they were "buy once". I find subscription models a sham now.

But I've not made a single post in either OT, because frankly, me not liking something /just doesn't matter/, especially not in threads that are for people who are enjoying the game. You have to be a real special kind of douche to make it a habit to go into every thread about a game you don't like, just to tell people how much you don't like it.

To quote Vigilant Walrus from the Matrix thread:

/rant over

Retro

Hahaha fair point, sir. So it's like a Bloody Mary kind of deal? :p

Sure, that's what I was getting at there.
1sm067roll8turv.gif

The 2.5 second global cooldown killed FFXIV for me. I can't go from playing Guild Wars 2 to that without feeling like it's an eternity between actions. It'd be like playing a racing game and then trying to pick up a turn-based racing RPG.

I'm looking forward to EQN because it's different. I think the sand-boxy build-oriented elements can fit nicely alongside GW2's more theme-parky story-driven elements. In the back of my head I guess my plan is to play GW2 during the Living Story and when I want to, and then pick up EQN/Landmark when people have stocked me up on building materials so I can make crazy stuff without having to spend 8000 hours mining.

CrimsonN0

Alright.
I've never really payed attention to what my IP address is and I guess it hasn't changed until today, at least its never caused Guild Wars 2 to give me an authentication message.

Attempting to log-in I'm getting IP address change and asked to athenticate.
The authentification emails I'm getting are only being sent when I've tried to log-in.
IP address checking sites identify my IP and my correct location.
http://whatismyipaddress.com/
Anet has my correct IP, but is saying my location is in California.
Typing in my IP directly is saying it is from California and its hostname ends with ca.charter.com.
http://db-ip.com/

Anyone more knowledgable about this stuff think I'm fine to just authenticate this?

Retro

Alright.
I've never really payed attention to what my IP address is and I guess it hasn't changed until today, at least its never caused Guild Wars 2 to give me an authentication message.

Attempting to log-in I'm getting IP address change and asked to athenticate.
The authentification emails I'm getting are only being sent when I've tried to log-in.
IP address checking sites identify my IP and my correct location.
http://whatismyipaddress.com/
Anet has my correct IP, but is saying my location is in California.
Looking up my IP directly it is from California and its hostname ends with ca.charter.com.
http://db-ip.com/

Anyone more knowledgable about this stuff think I'm fine to just authenticate this?

I may be completely mistaken here, but I think your IP may be changed by your provider. I seem to remember reading once that you have to pay or at least request a static IP. I think routers can also affect this, but I'm not sure.

I'm not exactly knowledgeable on it though, maybe someone else is. You could always use two-step authentication.

Proven

Actually what these fields remind me of are the Fields of Fonons from Tales of the Abyss. In that game certain artes would leave behind fields of different sizes of various elements (depending on the arte), if you used certain artes within those fields they would change into more powerful ones (corresponding to the field's element).
Yeah, Abyss is probably my favorite Tales game (I played it 3-player co-op) because of this. Guild Wars 2 just uses a more standardized system. Unfortunately, most combos don't have very powerful effects on a fight. A number of them are underutilized though, in my opinion.

Taffer

I may be completely mistaken here, but I think your IP may be changed by your provider. I seem to remember reading once that you have to pay or at least request a static IP. I think routers can also affect this, but I'm not sure.

I'm not exactly knowledgeable on it though, maybe someone else is. You could always use two-step authentication.

This has happened to me twice, I am now in Scotland allegedly.

Life Blast can be specced to pierce several targets, nearly always crit, drain hp, apply debuffs, give might, the works. It's a super versatile basic attack that hits very hard.
2 teleports you to your target, thus increasing LB damage, which varies according to distance, and also applying debuffs. You've also got traits to enhance it further
3 is fear, you can trait to make fear cause quite a bit of damage. Good for interrupts.
4 is great to increase your tankitude when around several targets, will drain life force from targets and extend Death Shroud duration
5 applies a very nasty DoT that causes even more damage if the enemy likes to move around. Very good AoE.

You can also spec Death Shroud to last twice as long, gain more life force with marks or axe skills, the works. It's super versatile.

I see. I haven't unlocked any traits on my Necromancer yet so I haven't seen any of them. I'm looking forward to that point however so I can start messing with different builds.

Yeah, Abyss is probably my favorite Tales game (I played it 3-player co-op) because of this. Guild Wars 2 just uses a more standardized system. Unfortunately, most combos don't have very powerful effects on a fight. A number of them are underutilized though, in my opinion.

Yeah, it's something I'm definitely going to be paying more attention to going forward.

The only thing missing is Paragons (probably my favourite MMO class in terms of mechanics/aesthetics). I know people say that Guardians are similar but it's just not the same without the spears/wings/white armor. I'm planning on leveling a Guardian however after I'm done with my Necromancer.

Ashodin

duping bug in the game

I've heard today that some people found out a way to turn wardrobe skins into real items. I don't know how but i hope Anet fixes this before they brake the economy even more

Retro

duping bug in the game

Ahem;

ChrisCleary said:
This was caused by a temporary issue with this specific item being listable on the BLTC. The item has since been removed from the BLTC and the issue has been fixed. All Buy Orders for this item have been canceled and the gold will be in the respective orderer's pickup tab. The original seller has had their listing price refunded, the item was returned to them and is no longer tradeable as intended. (source)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom