• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sajjaja

I've been doing the My Story quests and I like that it's single player, but where arel the main quests that involve other people?

There are no main quests :p

You can invite people to do your personal story with you, but otherwise, everything else is open. You can group with others to do quests around the world, or do dungeons with other people (available level 30 onwards).

Retro

So, we're over 19,400 posts in here now, which means we've got only 600 more posts before it's time for the OT4. That's the point at which the moderators have suggested we start planning for a new thread and work out who's going to make it.

I'm happy to do the next OT, though I can't imagine too much will change that isn't just cosmetic. I would like some OT thread titles though, so feel free to toss some out there. Try to keep it relevant, as a lot of OT titles tend to be a little in-jokey.

I'd appreciate an invite into the GAF guild although I have no idea what I'm doing haha

Invite sent, welcome. There's some beginner's tips in the first post and you can always ask in Guild Chat.

I've been doing the My Story quests and I like that it's single player, but where arel the main quests that involve other people?

There aren't any 'main quests', you need to head out into the world and complete dynamic events. The Personal Story is, for better or for worse, the 'main story' of Guild Wars 2, at least until the next season of the Living Story kicks in and things start to happen.

As you explore the zones, everything that happens out there can involve others. If you see a town on fire, run up and take out the bandits doing it, or help put out the fires. You'll see other players run up and help, and everyone that participates gets credit.

Once you hit level 30, you'll get a mail that guides you towards the first five-person dungeon, which has what's known as a "story mode" to play though. This acts as a kind of side-story to the main story, involving Destiny's Edge, a guild that once fought dragons. As you go through all the dungeons as they unlock, either with friends, GAF, or randoms, you'll get the whole story. Once you've finished a dungeon's story mode once, it unlocks "explore" mode, a multi-path version of the dungeon you can do for additional rewards, like Dungeon Tokens that give you unique armour themed around the dungeon you got the tokens from.

After a while, you'll notice big "World Events", that have hundreds of players showing up to help. You'll know when you've come across one.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| LS Season 2 is a Go (unless Kos complains about it)
Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The Most Popular Dead MMO Around.
Guild Wars 2 |OT4| Let Sleeping Dragons Lie
Guild Wars 2 |OT4| Ding Dong Scarlet's Dead
Guild Wars 2 |OT4| Don't Look at Me, I voted for Gnashblade
Guild Wars 2 |OT4| Lions Arch March 4, 2014. We Shall Rebuild

There are no main quests :p

You can invite people to do your personal story with you, but otherwise, everything else is open. You can group with others to do quests around the world, or do dungeons with other people (available level 30 onwards).

Oh okay. It's just I thought I might have missed something because there are slight level jumps between each story quest and I have found myself doing the same dynamic quests just to level up to do the story quest.

Oh okay. It's just I thought I might have missed something because there are slight level jumps between each story quest and I have found myself doing the same dynamic quests just to level up to do the story quest.

You can actually go to all of the level 1-15 areas, you don't need to stick to the one you start with. If you head back to your main city and look for the purple swirly gate, that takes you to Vigil Keep. From there, you can take a portal to each of the main cities, and then go to the other racial starting areas. Just going there should give you plenty of experience too, as you get experience from finding waypoints, new areas, and so on. If you find yourself underlevelled for the next step of your story, go explore a bit, harvest some resources, perhaps look into the crafting. Almost everything in the game gives experience.

Alright, I'm a little confused about WvW. What's happening? What are the hot zones? What do I need to do?

WvW is practically it's own game, and there's a lot going on. At first, perhaps you should go to Eternal Battlegrounds or your server's Borderlands, and see if there are any Commanders on the map (little blue arrows), and follow them for a bit to get a feel for things. Or you can go to Edge of the Mists and experiment there, since it's kind of like a mini-version of WvW.

Wouldn't be a day without some screenshots.

3Hl9U3h.jpg

J9BAerD.jpg

sAXJJB9.jpg

pbtX01t.jpg

Xym0VWS.jpg

yroLn65.jpg

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
|OT4| When the students became the masters

Since you guys are teaching us new people.

Ashodin

If it's not Welcome to the Jungle riots will be started

Brisban Wildlands (arguably where the next story will start) is a jungle.

Jira

I worry that any reference to S2 will be long outdated before we even get to OT5 and we'll be stuck with a title that references something that happened in the past and really doesn't have much relevance later in time.

CrimsonN0

Kinda weird.
Despite logging in normally just a few hours ago, apparently my IP address has changed since then and now wants me to re-authenticate my address which is now apparently Hesperia, California.

Well, I guess the authentication is still being sent to my actual e-mail so it shouldn't be a problem, but still kinda weird that my IP address just randomly changed in a few hours and this problem has never come up before(bought the game a few weeks after initial release).

Kinda weird.
Despite logging in normally just a few hours ago, apparently my IP address has changed since then and now wants me to re-authenticate my address which is now apparently Hesperia, California.

Well, I guess the authentication is still being sent to my actual e-mail so it shouldn't be a problem, but still kinda weird that my IP address just randomly changed in a few hours and this problem has never come up before(bought the game a few weeks after initial release).

If you are not in Hesperia, Calufornia then you probably should not authenticate. Unless you know your using some kind of VPN or something to change your ip. Be careful because of you authenticate an ip from an unknown are you might have just allowed a hacker to log into your account.

OT4: Are you a Dragon minion?
OT4: GAFGuild says it is good
OT4: Clean up on Stormbluff Isle 4 (from hythloday) also should be the winner.

CrimsonN0

If you are not in Hesperia, Calufornia then you probably should not authenticate. Unless you know your using some kind of VPN or something to change your ip. Be careful because of you authenticate an ip from an unknown are you might have just allowed a hacker to log into your account.

Yeah, I haven't actually authenticated it yet.
I don't use a VPN and I'm not that knowlegdble about IP addresses and what mine was previously or if it really changed.

According to this site :http://whatismyipaddress.com/
My location is correct.
But from the authentication e-mail I'm in California.
The IP address is the same for both, though.

Eh, I hope it just magically fixes itself by this evening.

Have barely been able to play over the last week due to work, blah. Hoping to jump back in this weekend. At 72 now; so close to 80...

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| Now megaserving up more fun

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| Free repairs, free respecs, free all around

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| Train-ing with GAF

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| A game with Charr-acter or Game's got Charr-acter

Ehh, that's all I got.

Retro

You know, people always assume the other Pale Tree(s) are under the control of the Jungle Dragon... but the Maguuma Jungle is also the White Mantle's refuge, and has been for 250 years. What if a Mursaat reigned over a whole tree of Sylvari, instructing them in place of Ventari's tablet, creating a whole race of beings built around and devoted to the White Mantle in a way humans never could be?

I worry that any reference to S2 will be long outdated before we even get to OT5 and we'll be stuck with a title that references something that happened in the past and really doesn't have much relevance later in time.

Does it really matter if S2 ends before OT5? Any reference to S2 would still be apart of the living history of GW2.

Ceres

Banned
Looks like Yaks Bend is at it again and doubleteaming with HoD against FA. We're going to be screwed next week if that alliance stays intact.

Zeroth

Looks like Yaks Bend is at it again and doubleteaming with HoD against FA. We're going to be screwed next week if that alliance stays intact.

Aren't we going to fight HoD and FA again? If so, wouldn't it be better to team up with HoD too?

Ceres

Banned
Aren't we going to fight HoD and FA again? If so, wouldn't it be better to team up with HoD too?

Nope. If YB takes 2nd this week, we'll get HoD and YB.

Scores will be
HoD: 30
YB: 20
SBI: 20
FA: 18

Oddly enough FA has lost something like 2 more guilds the last week.

You know, people always assume the other Pale Tree(s) are under the control of the Jungle Dragon... but the Maguuma Jungle is also the White Mantle's refuge, and has been for 250 years. What if a Mursaat reigned over a whole tree of Sylvari, instructing them in place of Ventari's tablet, creating a whole race of beings built around and devoted to the White Mantle in a way humans never could be?
We killed Murssat in GW1, how stupid do White Mantel have to be to keep following them for 250 years.

I think the Outlaw armor they released in gem store is from a group we will meet in next Living Story. The outlaws are probably related to bandits who are related to the Ministry Guard in DR.

Hope they involve other races and they don't make it about Sylvari only because it's getting a bit boring having everything be about Sylvari just cuz they don't have a history like other races.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I sort of think any specific references to the Living Story as an OT title are kinda limited. Something that still means something to players who don't know anything about the game would be nice. "Funding an MMO Entirely on Quaggan Backpacks" even actually had a tiny bit of info in it.

That said, I don't have any good suggestions.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| You Got Megaserved
I really have the urge to play but my computer has thrown a fit again and won't turn on.

I'm really starting to warm to thr Thief now that I am using a dagger/pistol and shortbow combo. Levelling still feels a bit slow but I'm enjoying it regardless. 100%'d my first area yesterday in Hoelbrak. I should probably find somewhere more exotic now, pretty much all I've seen so far is ice :L
Dagger/pistol has one of my favorite PvE combos anywhere in the game (you've probably already discovered it, but it's the 5->2 combo leap from the smoke field) and is just a ton of fun. Shortbow is uniquely awesome and remains a great weapon (the best blast finisher in the game) in all forms of content forever, really. In open-world PvE I also love pistol/dagger- Dancing Dagger eats regular mobs in the world alive- so give that a shot too if you get a chance. :)

As far as XP/leveling being slow- unlike maybe any other MMO I can think of, GW2's leveling essentially accelerates the closer you get to 80, so it seems weightier on the early levels. I recommend Metrica Province, which you'll get to through Rata Sum, to cure your jungle blues. ;)

Let me know when you start getting close to 30, I love running AC Story with new thieves.
Quaggans are stupid.
iibCnw4JhXYzT.gif

you came to the wrong neighborhood

Nope. If YB takes 2nd this week, we'll get HoD and YB.

Scores will be
HoD: 30
YB: 20
SBI: 20
FA: 18

Oddly enough FA has lost something like 2 more guilds the last week.

Wow. Didn't see this happening.

Should totally focus #2 who ever it is, and try our best to keep our BL as green as possible.

I've put a lot of hours into this game and I only just realized a couple days ago that you can use your damage abilities on your current set then weapon switch and use the damage ones on there to combo them for a nice spike in damage.

Before I was pretty much just using everything even if it was something that was more like a utility skill than something that did damage and I never really switched weapons.

Like for Ranger Longbow/Greatsword (and my current trait setup) you can go Opening Strike 2 then 3 for the stealth and Open Strike reset then Maul on the Greatsword to take advantage of the automatic crit then pet switch for the 3 seconds on quickness on yourself and your pet (I use both feline pets since they deal insane damage).

This results in a very nice burst of DPS that you can't get just by going through a rotation on one weapon.

I've started leveling a Necromancer so I'm looking to find similar weapon switch combos once I get them unlocked.

BraXzy

What he means by this is "i extract immense pleasure from seeing another thief die more than me".

Is this true? I..I feel so betrayed :'(

Got my computer fixed today, it was the PSU like I expected. My local computer shop diagnosed it, supplied and fitted a new all in for £40 which I'm not gonna complain about. It isn't quite as good as the one I had but then again, the one I had conked out.

I hope people in the guild don't hate me yet, I ask a lot of questions :3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom