• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retro

ANET is not Zenimax bro.

ArenaNet had the bug early on where you could buy karma items and sell them for outrageously more than they were worth. But they also fixed it by that afternoon, handed out a fuckton of bans (while distinguishing between the people who tried it and those who clearly exploited it) and was very transparent about the whole process.

The duping bug in TESO was known from Beta, so...

Katoki

Did a little exploring.

ilE2Haxiueepn.bmp

irHDH5082qIdC.bmp

iSyW1YVeVDNYV.bmp

ibdCEI6b6J36u4.bmp

iFBswLWI6RWZ8.bmp

id63wGCTUQeuy.bmp

Did a little exploring.
Very cool screens shots. Just makes me think how cool Orr must have been before it sank.

I'm hoping to do some good wubwubing tonight at reset since I'll be gone for the rest of the week. Are the usual GAF crew hoping on tonight as well?

ArenaNet had the bug early on where you could buy karma items and sell them for outrageously more than they were worth. But they also fixed it by that afternoon, handed out a fuckton of bans (while distinguishing between the people who tried it and those who clearly exploited it) and was very transparent about the whole process.

The duping bug in TESO was known from Beta, so...

In the end i think only one player was perma, the rest got their bans reduced, but i remember the guy who had abuse the karma bug did it thousands of times..Anet rep put the number on the forums when he was trying to plead his case..

Just tried a non-story dungeon and got totally destroyed. Are they all that hard?

Also, what's the quickest way to get to 80?

Quickest to 80 is crafting but costs lots of money.

Running an explorable mode of a dungeon usually nets you close to 1 level. They are not that hard once you get the hang of it. I suggest you get a Masterwork (green) armor for your class which is as close to your level as possible or you will be having a terrible day in dungeons. Try running them with GAF they are usually pretty good at helping new payers out and teaching them the paths.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I think people mistake stuff that the trinity doesn't exist in this game.

Also I think I'll get the Golden achievement before I spend money (daily ascended crafting not withstanding). only 40g left!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Just tried a non-story dungeon and got totally destroyed. Are they all that hard?

Which dungeon path did you try, at what level? Most of them are actually not that hard, you just need to learn the ropes a bit. Bear in mind, whatever level, dungeons punish you for not having gear within 5 levels of your own. Definitely try and run some with us!

Don't worry too much about the quickest way to 80- levels will come faster and faster especially as you start getting more comfortable with dungeons. Take your time and use the leveling timespan to really try and master at least the core mechanics of your class.

Retro

Explorable mode dungeons are meant to be fairly hard, I think the easiest are Ascalon Catacombs 2 and 3, Citadel of Flame 1 and 2, and Sorrow's Embrace 1. Those are the ones that are run the most often, at least, so people always seem to know what they're doing.

Don't do dungeons with randoms (a.k.a "Pugging") if you can help it, there's a subset of the GW2 community that migrated in from other MMOs that is all about efficiency and speed. Like raiders in WoW, they've managed to convince everybody else that if you're not following their example, you're somehow playing the game wrong, so even groups that aren't capable of using their tactics still try them anyways, and often fail. They suck all the fun and novelty out of dungeons by using and abusing such tactics as stacking (which is essentially "Everyone stand in one spot against the wall, bomb the shit out of one location and revive each other so we don't have to run around." GAF Group = Best Group.

Don't rush to 80 if you can help it, GW2 is all about the journey and offers very little in the way of carrots once you reach max level. When you're in Exotics, you can basically be 'done', gear wise, unless you want to try a different build or go for the minor (<5%) stat increase of Ascended. You'll have plenty of time to do dungeons then anyways.

Enjoy the content, that's what it's there for. Don't try rushing to get to 80 so the 'real game' can start, you're playing the real game now.

In the end i think only one player was perma, the rest got their bans reduced, but i remember the guy who had abuse the karma bug did it thousands of times..Anet rep put the number on the forums when he was trying to plead his case..

Yep, I remember that, and was the exact example I was thinking of when I mentioned their transparency. They weren't afraid to give exact details on who got banned and why they deserved it. That was one of the funniest damn things I've seen on the Official Forums (usually completely mirthless).

I'm so glad the devs redesigned the sylvari. I just watched the old races video, and man.

Yep, they were pretty much Elves. Kristen Perry basically built the Sylvari from scratch and deserves a TON of credit for the game's look, since she's also responsible for the dye system and the appearance of female Charr (amongst other things). The fact that we don't abominations like this shit running around is something we should all be thankful for.

I think people mistake stuff that the trinity doesn't exist in this game.

It's more of a "Soft Trinity", in that there's still three general roles (Control, Support and Damage instead of Tank / Healer / Damage) but the lines are incredibly blurred by the lack of boring, predictable aggro/snap aggro, self-sufficient healing and the fact that every profession can dabble in all three, sometimes simultaneously.

You'll always be able to assign roles in games though, even something like a class-less shooters (based on weaponry; sniper being the most notorious), fighters (based on character strengths as well as personal style; jugglers, air fighters, etc.). I prefer to think of people in my GW2 groups less in terms of what roles they can fill or skills they can use and focus more on how they can do things. I expect an ele to be standing beside me with D/D just as often as I expect them behind me with Staff. It's all about getting the job done in the funnest way possible.

spiritfox

Which dungeon path did you try, at what level? Most of them are actually not that hard, you just need to learn the ropes a bit. Bear in mind, whatever level, dungeons punish you for not having gear within 5 levels of your own. Definitely try and run some with us!

Don't worry too much about the quickest way to 80- levels will come faster and faster especially as you start getting more comfortable with dungeons. Take your time and use the leveling timespan to really try and master at least the core mechanics of your class.

It was Ascalon 1, but it was with pubs, so maybe it wasn't the best run. I just felt like running something more structured than killing random mobs in the field, but I kept dying. It wasn't helping that they were rushing though I guess.

When do you guys do dungeons? It doesn't help that I live in Asia, so the timing sucks.

Retro

It was Ascalon 1, but it was with pubs, so maybe it wasn't the best run. I just felt like running something more structured than killing random mobs in the field, but I kept dying. It wasn't helping that they were rushing though I guess.

When do you guys do dungeons? It doesn't help that I live in Asia, so the timing sucks.

AC1 is a notorious pain in the ass because there's a defense phase where you have to destroy a bunch of graveling burrows that pop up all over the room. Even a solid group can stumble on that one, so don't feel too bad. They were also probably using some kind of fucking weird tactic to try and glitch it or something, so I wouldn't worry too much that it didn't go well.

I tend to do dungeons around 10-12pm Eastern, for what it's worth.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

AC Story is really what you wanna start with. It's substantially easier than any of the Explorable paths and a nice intro to dungeons.

The timing is rough for sure. There seems to always be a run or two of some sort when I'm online, but I'm not sure when are "peak" hours for you. Make sure to at least ask in guild chat before hopping onto the LFG. If you do have to pug, create the group yourself and say "first time, not rushing!" or something along those lines and you have a much higher chance of getting helpful people.

So... just to confirm something... ideal usage for an Ice Bow is using 4, then using 3, then DROPPING the bow so that someone else can pick it up and instantly use those two skills again, thus circumventing the cooldown?

Ceres

Banned
For anyone who might be interested, Luna is going to be doing a WvW Commander Training session on Saturday at 7pm EST. She's hoping some others (Bannok, Juggs, Lurk) might be able to be there as well in some capacity. I'll probably try to be there for the 2 hrs before guild missions. Think I might eventually get a tag for Foo. Honestly I feel like I've followed enough commanders and listened to know what to do at this point. But any bit can help.

So... just to confirm something... ideal usage for an Ice Bow is using 4, then using 3, then DROPPING the bow so that someone else can pick it up and instantly use those two skills again, thus circumventing the cooldown?

It disappears if you drop it. When an Ele has this skill, it gives them 1 weapon and drops a 2nd for someone else to pick up. Personally my ele is traited for more charges because of Taco.

lol. Kos replied before my edits.

If you drop it. It disappears.

When Elementalist's activate the Ice Bow, one shows up on them and one drops on the ground. The one on the ground can be picked up by anyone but if they do not use up all the shots (can see as buff above your skills) and they drop it the Ice Bow will disappear. It will also disappear once you used up all the available shots.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The skill usage is right, there is no "so someone else can pick it up" though. If you have utilities/elites you can fire off in the meantime to get the 4 cooldown to pop again, so much the better. Otherwise, you can drop it just to get your regular DPS options back. The cooldown on making a new one as an ele is actually not that bad.

I have so many titles in game, but GW1 max GWAMM is the only one I use, hard to top that title..
It really is. Been using mine since day -3. GWAMM 4 lyfe
So... just to confirm something... ?
As others have said, it's best to use 3/4 and drop it. Think of the ice bow as a 2-shot disposable rocket launcher.

I recommend trying lightning hammer as well, especially with world bosses. The 4 skill acts like a pbaoe version of ice bow 4. Unlike bow, hammer is useful for its entire lifespan. The autoattack is strong with a blast finish on the third strike, #2 is a nice leap, 3 is a powerful knockback, and 5 us basically air staff 5 (one of the best ele staff skills)

Boss Doggie

So my friend suggested that I should create a "fake" guild for the sole purpose of bank slots. Is it viable?

So my friend suggested that I should create a "fake" guild for the sole purpose of bank slots. Is it viable?
Quite. I have one myself. It will require spending gold for buying influence, though. Otherwise, you'll have a long wait getting enough from events, etc by yourself.

If you buy all your influence, the first pane will cost 5 gold and give 50 slots. The second pane is 40 gold but adds 100 more slots. The last pane is 60 gold and adds another 100 slots for a total of 250 slots for 105g. Its convenient if you have multiple accounts as well so you can have a single spot for everything.

That would be 3 o 'clock in the morning over here .

Ill see if i can make it but i cannot make promises.

You can probably still be useful if you just hop on in the morning when you wake up on Saturday because it will be like only 4-5 hours after reset so battles will still be going. Get TS setup in case gaffers are not online.

Get yourself verified on TS so you can actually join the WvW channels/

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
It really is. Been using mine since day -3. GWAMM 4 lyfe

As others have said, it's best to use 3/4 and drop it. Think of the ice bow as a 2-shot disposable rocket launcher.

I recommend trying lightning hammer as well, especially with world bosses. The 4 skill acts like a pbaoe version of ice bow 4. Unlike bow, hammer is useful for its entire lifespan. The autoattack is strong with a blast finish on the third strike, #2 is a nice leap, 3 is a powerful knockback, and 5 us basically air staff 5 (one of the best ele staff skills)
Yeah. Lightning hammer autoattack chain is pretty glorious and I actually prefer the way its 5 works to the air staff 5.

With Ice Bow, this isn't a popular opinion, but I also like to fire off the 5 if fighting an Elite (useless against Champions or bosses), followed by the 2 before dropping it. 5 stacks of vulnerability for 10s + 5 projectile finishers is actually pretty decent especially if the person shooting has some Power behind it. Plus even 1 stack of vuln activates Piercing Shards for my Ele (and I know other people have on-vuln traits) so if the target didn't have any on it it can actually mean a really big damage boost as I will be in water attunement while using the bow skills and usually go right to Fiery Greatsword without changing... the autoattack is deeply useless though and should never be fired.

man it's a fun class.

Do we know when we will get more info on next update?

Will something happen on the 15th May?

Also how long before spring tourny ends?

Are we starting a splinter group just to mess with HoD. I hate HoD...

CoffeeMan

Start with skill 2, it stacks vulnerability.

I have to say, much as I'm loving everything else about the feature patch, I really don't like the new traits system.

It's not enough to make me stop playing (this is not an "I QUIT!!!1111eleventyone" message), but it does grate a bit when levelling characters, and that's ones created before the patch. I've not got to the stage with the one created after a patch where unlocking traits is an issue, so I've got that to look forward to.

I really get a kick out of using control skills in PvP though. If there's one thing about combat in this game that I'd recommend to anyone, it's that (almost?) all the classes have some fun pulls/knockbacks whereas for most MMOs, it's only one or two.

Proven

It looks like no Living Story until the WvW Season ends, which will be the last week in May.

So we should be getting previews at the start of June at the very latest.

Thorgal

Wow . elementalist dual wielding daggers built really fits the description of "glass cannon .

health and defense is very low but with lightning atunement it rips through enemies like butter .

Wow . elementalist dual wielding daggers built really fits the description of "glass cannon .

health and defense is very low but with lightning atunement it rips through enemies like butter .
Dual daggers are also good for might/fury stacking. Combined with air, you get crazy damage. Make sure to take bow or hammer for dealing with large groups.

Edit: Try out dagger/focus some time. You get the damage of dagger with the defense utility of focus while still having several blasts for might stacking.

CoffeeMan

It looks like no Living Story until the WvW Season ends, which will be the last week in May.

So we should be getting previews at the start of June at the very latest.

That's my call too.

if they keep the same cycle, it would look something like this

Code:
   May 6th - Usual patch Preview
May 13th - Patch Day
   May 20th - Usual Patch Preview
May 27th -  Patch Day
      May 30th - WvW spring tournament Ends
   June 3rd - Usual Patch Preview
June 10th - Patch Day
   June 17th - Usual Patch Preview
June 24th - Patch Day

So I'm expecting preview on June 3rd and PAtch on the 10th.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Dual daggers are also good for might/fury stacking. Combined with air, you get crazy damage. Make sure to take bow or hammer for dealing with large groups.

Edit: Try out dagger/focus some time. You get the damage of dagger with the defense utility of focus while still having several blasts for might stacking.
Dagger/focus is one set I just have not played with, maybe even a single time. Gotta try it. Still haven't finished kitting out my ele's second two armor sets. Feel like gearing up my Engi first though, kinda.

I definitely didn't expect to like as many classes in this game as much as I do.

Boss Doggie

Quite. I have one myself. It will require spending gold for buying influence, though. Otherwise, you'll have a long wait getting enough from events, etc by yourself.

If you buy all your influence, the first pane will cost 5 gold and give 50 slots. The second pane is 40 gold but adds 100 more slots. The last pane is 60 gold and adds another 100 slots for a total of 250 slots for 105g. Its convenient if you have multiple accounts as well so you can have a single spot for everything.

Oh, have to upgrade :(

Dagger/focus is one set I just have not played with, maybe even a single time. Gotta try it. Still haven't finished kitting out my ele's second two armor sets. Feel like gearing up my Engi first though, kinda..
D/F is kind of funky and takes getting used to, but it's a powerhouse for wvw roaming. Almost no one plays that set and the defensive abilities screw with players. (invincibility, projectile block/reflect, daze, launch, and chill)
Oh, have to upgrade :(
Still cheaper than 600 gems for a bank pane.

Boss Doggie

Still cheaper than 600 gems for a bank pane.

Hah true, you got more space with merely what it seems to be 1000~ish gems vs the paltry space of 600 gems.

And tbqh I don't think I'll join more guilds - I think I'm stuck with GAF and that other guild with my friends.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Avenger *cracks knuckles*
Legendary Champion!
*cracks knuckles unrelatedly*
Almost Friday (starts at 5pm officially for me). Time to run to GW2.

EwhLSRV.gif
EwhLSRV.gif
EwhLSRV.gif
I like those GIFs but they should go to being on all fours!

Pretty sure I'm on board for the Yak's-slapping tonight.

may not be there right at reset though. hopefully queues won't be too crazy when I'm able to get online.

mileS

Finally getting around to this. Awesome time to jump in with the sale. Downloading right now. Trying to figure out what to play first, leaning towards a Ranger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom