• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Proven

Fine. You guys have officially put EQN on my radar. I still haven't looked up anything about it though. I'll wait until closer to it's launch. I got too ticked off by Firefall for taking forever and a half before.

I think Ursa or Hythloday would also make good submissions. And then Grindan Valecus... (I probably murdered that..Asteria de Ursa and Co.) And siafra...

so many good looking characters armors

I'm too set in keeping armor sets together as designed to have any chance

Same.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
We were very, very close to getting a legitimate foothold on Ehmry Bay. Straight embarrassed them multiple times, then they finally got a decent portal bomb.

jersoc

looks like Kiel is winning so far.

also EQ next does look pretty damn neat. we shall see if they can deliver the goods.

Lunar15

WvW was most excellent. I don't play much WvW, but when I do, it's always an amazing experience.

That "three guard line" though... man, that was somethin' else.

Sophia

I'm never going to be rich in this game because of dyes. :(

gw16456lle.jpg

Mxrz

Figured I'd better try the new mini games before they're gone. Went into Southsun Survival. First match or two had 8-10 people. Then suddenly there were only four, myself included. Matches then became slow as hell, and I notice two of the dudes were working together to draw things out even more. Blah. I'll try to grab the 15 games, and possibly headshots. But the 'earn 2500 points!' achievement can go screw itself.

Is Aspect Arena any better?

I didn't hate it mind, and I like the idea of mini games. But the achievements for these things feel grindtastic. I freaking hate playing for achievements to begin with in game like this, but those achievement chests are too hard to ignore. I'm about 600 from the 5k one, and after that I'll go back to ignoring them.

jersoc

Figured I'd better try the new mini games before they're gone. Went into Southsun Survival. First match or two had 8-10 people. Then suddenly there were only four, myself included. Matches then became slow as hell, and I notice two of the dudes were working together to draw things out even more. Blah. I'll try to grab the 15 games, and possibly headshots. But the 'earn 2500 points!' achievement can go screw itself.

Is Aspect Arena any better?

I didn't hate it mind, and I like the idea of mini games. But the achievements for these things feel grindtastic. I freaking hate playing for achievements to begin with in game like this, but those achievement chests are too hard to ignore. I'm about 600 from the 5k one, and after that I'll go back to ignoring them.

survivor is pretty easy to get points, but yeah, it'll take a while. just run to where all those salvages are and die right after the grace period. usually if you dont eat that'll kill you a little after the time. grab all the orbs and find a survivor to spam the hell out of. sometimes people wonder in the little maze like area and i just pick them off. it's where i get my headshots from cause they never notice me.

but in wisp form, you can easily get 60 a game.

I just need a dungeon or maw for the evon and i'm done.

TrounceX

Welp, that's it then, I can't compete with that. I tried to copy you by writing something similar but it just felt incredibly awkward. I can't even begin to pretend to have a story behind the armor either, as I just kind of cobbled it together one day.

Oh well, I had a lot of fun digging through my GW2 screenshot folder looking for pics of my armor. I had over 500 pictures in there... and it's kind of cool because you can clearly tell my progression through the map because every time I hit a new zone it was screenshot city. There's also little landmarks scattered about like my first time seeing a dragon, completing AC story (used to be so hard!), reaching level 80, doing Balthazar with a GAF group and getting my exotic armor, taking Stonemist with a huge zerg for the first time etc etc - everything blew my mind back then.

I double backed up that screenshot folder just to be safe. Someday I'm going to look back on that and have a nostalgia overload, I'm sure.

Anyone from our guild going to gamescom or pax prime?

Wish I could but can't take time off.

ANET will announce expansion at one of these shows.

I just realize I still haven't finish my personal story. It's it true that you need a party to finish the last one

Yeah, you do. It's a longer story dungeon. I played through it on my main and would do it again if anyone needs help running through it.

My alt is still a long way off from getting to that point, if I ever do with it. I'm not sure if I want to or not.

Achtius

We should organise a time to get this done. I'm sure there are others that want to finish the fight too.

Yeah, you do. It's a longer story dungeon. I played through it on my main and would do it again if anyone needs help running through it.

My alt is still a long way off from getting to that point, if I ever do with it. I'm not sure if I want to or not.

I am free tomorrow if you guys are interested.

Retro

looks like Kiel is winning so far.

also EQ next does look pretty damn neat. we shall see if they can deliver the goods.

I have something like 96 Support Tokens. I guess I'll throw them to Evon, even though the Reactor explosion is a bigger mystery than Abbadon's end. It being a recent event, and in a corner of the world I'm very much interested in... I'd honestly like to see it more.

As for EQN, without sounding like a grumpy old man yelling at a cloud, when we first saw Guild Wars 2, it was playable on the floor of Gamescom. It was a known quantity that the public and press alike could get their hands on. So far all we've seen of EQN is footage, concept art and a lot of promises. Anyone who was around in the days of Warhammer Online knows how quickly those can turn sour, so it's probably best to keep expectations in check; the proof is, as it always has been, in the playing.

I'm veeery tempted just to blow them all right now and make a lot of profit tho.

I'm not 100%, but I seem to remember someone saying the dyes you get from the Laurel vendor are account bound.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I should hold a contest for people to win a prize if they take a photo with my afk body after I have fallen asleep on my couch.

hythloday

As for EQN, without sounding like a grumpy old man yelling at a cloud, when we first saw Guild Wars 2, it was playable on the floor of Gamescom. It was a known quantity that the public and press alike could get their hands on. So far all we've seen of EQN is footage, concept art and a lot of promises. Anyone who was around in the days of Warhammer Online knows how quickly those can turn sour, so it's probably best to keep expectations in check; the proof is, as it always has been, in the playing.

Sup, Gramps.

EQN looks neat but those two character models they showed (the human and the ridiculous lion) bother the hell out of me. Too cartoony. I'll watch for news, but right now we have GW2 and it's still fun and we can play it. Therefore to me it's much more interesting than some concept art and video.

Since I started playing my Mesmer a little bit again I realize she's got 90% map completion, and all of WvW done which was the "hard" part. I should just finish that up and be done.

Trey

Well, to be fair, the first live gameplay we saw of GW2 came a year after the teaser (it was leaked from the Blazeridge Steppes zone).

But yeah, I definitely felt that GW2 was presented better. Landmark sounds dope though, and the public will have their hands on it (in some form or fashion) fairly soon.

Retro

I should hold a contest for people to win a prize if they take a photo with my afk body after I have fallen asleep on my couch.

Is our prize that we do things to your body?

Well, to be fair, the first live gameplay we saw of GW2 came a year after the teaser (it was leaked from the Blazeridge Steppes zone).

I was referring more to the game purposefully being shown off in a heavily uncompleted state by SOE though. Yeah, leaks happen, but we didn't see GW2 in any official capacity until it was playable. MMO Hype is infectious, fueled by the roving band of MMO "Lookie-loos" who always chase the 'next big thing' that never delivers. As someone who was there for the Warhammer Online fiasco, I'm just saying... a lot of promises, concept art and rough footage does not a good MMO make, though it certainly merits watching. The nice thing about GW2 being sub-free is that you can jump in and out whenever you want. Any time there's a dry spell in either game, the other is there waiting... of course, GW2's dry spells only last two weeks at the most and EQNext sounds like the players are doing all the generation.

Also, Landmark releasing early before the full game even starts to come together gives me 'Nam-like flashbacks to Spore's Creature Creator.

Retro

I was recently looking at an old message board I posted at around that time, and everyone was excited as hell for Spore because we were spending hours making cool new creatures and how could anything that cool not be amazing?

Yep... that hype machine is merciless, that's why I'm glad GW2 was previewed the way it was before launch. The big difference between pre-release hype for GW2 and most other games is that GW2 was a known quantity from Gamescom onward; it wasn't a lot of "Oh, it could be like this!" or 'Oh, what if it can do that?" We knew what GW2 was going to be very early on, which is why the GW2 threads were filled with people debating/discussing small features; the big picture was already filled in.

Retro

I think i stumbled into the everquest ot on accident.

Oh no, it's much worse over there... in here it's safe and warm and rational. Over there it's... well, GAF on Announcement Day as usual.

Nothing says "I am excited for this" in the average gamer's mind more than "I now hate everything that is not this."

nataku

I was recently looking at an old message board I posted at around that time, and everyone was excited as hell for Spore because we were spending hours making cool new creatures and how could anything that cool not be amazing?

Yep... that hype machine is merciless, that's why I'm glad GW2 was previewed the way it was before launch. The big difference between pre-release hype for GW2 and most other games is that GW2 was a known quantity from Gamescom onward; it wasn't a lot of "Oh, it could be like this!" or 'Oh, what if it can do that?" We knew what GW2 was going to be very early on, which is why the GW2 threads were filled with people debating/discussing small features; the big picture was already filled in.

Event system speculation ran pretty wild there for a good while. People were making it out to be something much closer to what EQN is proposing than what we actually ended up with.

Retro

Event system speculation ran pretty wild there for a good while. People were making it out to be something much closer to what EQN is proposing than what we actually ended up with.

That was more over-extrapolation of a known quantity; we knew how DEs worked and how they chained together. But the fundamental system worked exactly as advertised; we just assumed it would be taken further than it did. The speculation ran wild, but it was tied to something that worked and, conceivably, could handle all of the things people were dreaming up.

With EQN it's more like "Here's what we want to do" but nothing has been shown of it actually working, and certainly nothing anyone on the floor is playing. Maybe they'll have more on that stuff today, but so far it's been Landmark, some character animation and a lot of promises. Hopefully today they dig more into the gameplay of the game rather than just the tools everyone will use to build all their content.

EVENT POLL SAYS FEED ME VOTES RAAAR

Timberline, Snowden, and Maelstrom are now tied!

You and Evon are both like big, angry roaring election machines... <insert joke about the political party that opposes yours here>.

I think you're conveniently blocking out the PvP side of things with regards to GW2's hype. Which is a considerable thing to ignore when the PvP was the largest aspect of the hype machine.

Retro

I think you're conveniently blocking out the PvP side of things with regards to GW2's hype. Which is a considerable thing to ignore when the PvP was the largest aspect of the hype machine.

PVP just wasn't something I was especially excited about for GW2 to begin with, since it's not something that appealed to me in other MMOs. Don't get me wrong, I keep an eye on it just as part of the overall game, but I don't think I've played a single sPVP match since Beta.

Don't mistake a general lack of interest as selective memory.

PVP just wasn't something I was especially excited about for GW2 to begin with, since it's not something that appealed to me in other MMOs. Don't get me wrong, I keep an eye on it just as part of the overall game, but I don't think I've played a single sPVP match since Beta.

Don't mistake a general lack of interest as selective memory.

I just saw a way to poke at you a bit since you were poking at excitement for EQN, which I'm apart of to an extent. ;p

There's always a lot of excessive hype for new games from all types of people. It's harmless.

Oh god, tell me about it. I think I've never been so hyped for a game as I was for Spore. I know for a fact I've never been as disappointed with one in 30+ years of gaming. I've had my crushing reality checks before, but that one was downright Mortal Kombat-esque in its brutality. I had been in overdrive hype mode for over three freaking years, as many called it "seems ready for release" ever since it was announced in 2005.

It's also funny because you'd think I'd have learnt from it, but no, I was almost just as hyped for GW2 in 2011-2012 and I still am for Dragon's Crown from 2011-now. Fortunately the former turned just fine, and the latter is getting pretty good reviews.

nataku

I have the worst luck with spawns in T4 of the Candidate Trials. I'm watching this video of a mesmer who did T4 a couple days ago and all the spawns she gets conveniently hang around the treasure area for the entire thing. Any she aggros leash right away and then run straight back to the treasure.

Me? When one aggros, half a dozen come and take forever to leash. When they finally do, they just hang around the spawn area instead of going back to the treasure.

Levyne

Banned
Maybe I'm a sucker for compliments but I love shit like this.

Taking down the gate in CoF 1

d4Yzp1r.png

Sorry if it seems to arrogant to post, but the reaction was just too good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom