• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're going to be waiting until end of time for that.
*Sigh

IDK what to do :/
Don't want all that time and effort to go to waste buuuut I didn't know just how much more fun I would have with the Mesmer and Thief classes when I made her.

And on top of that I don't want to make another Sylvari until they come out with more hair styles and culture armor for them.

Guess I should use her as a bank-slot-character until things start moving ( New races, new hairstyles, new weapons would all make a difference in what I do going forward)

Black-Wind, remind me of the bee in your bonnet re: dungeons? I keep forgetting what you're on about whenever you say stuff like this :p

Bear in mind the new champion rewards will also apply to champions in dungeons.

The Bee in my Bonnet is ... gold!
History recap cause it's been some time since I whined about how poor my toons are ..

As you may recall I have had problems making gold before, like back when my ele was my only money maker. I had a Warrior at level 30 around that time that I enjoyed playing far more ... and then I found out that warrior + cof p1 = profit!

So I got my warrior up to 80 without much of a problem at all! But then these living story events kept distracting me and after those ran their course I had to walk away from the game for RL stuff.

Then, out of nowhere, we get news that dungeons are gonna get retooled (Because clearly they want to have a handle on the flow of gold. COF farmers are making too much gold I guess). I got worried but people reassured me that this would be a later-in-the-year thing so I figured I would have time. NOW we know that this aint a later thing, it's happening NOW and I have only ever run COF with my cool-as-a-mofo warrior once (which went super well compared to the few runs I did with my ele ...). But now I'm doing finals and getting ready to spend all of Tuesday flying home ... so now I'm gonna have to go HAM on cof so that I can actually GET something out of it before it get's ran over by a bus in a few days.

Sooooo yeah ... I just wanna be able to make 2 end game looks before having to scrape the floor for cash. And everything I need is more than what I got (7G last I checked ...)

Levyne

Banned
You don't need to run cof to get gold. I do run it daily but that's more of a ritual thing rather than OH gotta get my 80s from cof!

Tier 1/2? And those are?

Sorry for being this new.

The Trials are an Enemy Wave fight (think Horde mode). Each wave is a Tier. Tier's 1 and 2 are able to be completed Solo without too much difficulty. T3 and T4 however are MUCH harder. You can choose which Tiers to try as you beat the previous ones.

Katoki

Then, out of nowhere, we get news that dungeons are gonna get retooled (Because clearly they want to have a handle on the flow of gold. COF farmers are making too much gold I guess). I got worried but people reassured me that this would be a later-in-the-year thing so I figured I would have time. NOW we know that this aint a later thing, it's happening NOW and I have only ever run COF with my cool-as-a-mofo warrior once (which went super well compared to the few runs I did with my ele ...). But now I'm doing finals and getting ready to spend all of Tuesday flying home ... so now I'm gonna have to go HAM on cof so that I can actually GET something out of it before it get's ran over by a bus in a few days.

Sooooo yeah ... I just wanna be able to make 2 end game looks before having to scrape the floor for cash. And everything I need is more than what I got (7G last I checked ...)

From what I understand, they're just re-evaluating the dungeons in terms of difficulty and making the rewards based on that so people aren't pigeon-holed into mindlessly running CoF 1 for money (because then players wouldn't be seeing the rest of the game ANet created). As for actually retooling the dungeons in terms of mechanics and what not, I suspect that's not going to be for a while longer.

Proven

4741663.png
4741662.png
4741661.png
4741660.png
4741659.png
4741658.png
4741657.png
4741656.png
4741655.png
4741654.png
4741653.png
4741652.png
4741651.png
4741650.png
4741649.png
4741648.png
4741647.png
4741646.png
4741645.png

http://raidwarning.com/new-gw2-queens-jubilee-icons-discovered/
Be careful what you wish for

You know when you open your inventory and see those different bag slots on the side? I actually like getting as many different ones as I can, even though they're just cosmetic.

I really wouldn't mind getting some of those bags as skins...

Mxrz

HotW 1 and AC3 have been my 'do it daily dungeons.' Probably should sub in CoF1. Getting my warrior a full berserker set would be nice.

From what I understand, they're just re-evaluating the dungeons in terms of difficulty and making the rewards based on that so people aren't pigeon-holed into mindlessly running CoF 1 for money (because then players wouldn't be seeing the rest of the game ANet created). As for actually retooling the dungeons in terms of mechanics and what not, I suspect that's not going to be for a while longer.

Yup. Pretty much says as much here: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/dungeon-rewards/

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
gold!
History recap cause it's been some time since I whined about how poor my toons are ..

You should spend a night or two with GAF running under the new system. See if you're unhappy with what you walk away with!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Queen's Gauntlet sounds like a awesome singleplayer challenge. You can activate certain effects and disadvantages for an increased reward I guess.
In Fractals you can change a number to increase the difficulty of the Fractals. Gambits are completely different, however, in that you activate a specific condition. For example, completing the challenge without being able to dodge.
Gambits are optional. There are different gambits, so pick one you can handle.

Levyne

Banned
Felt pretty good to be accepted into a pug fotm 48 group that gave no shits that I was a Ranger, grabbed a second ranger, and then we rocked the dungeon in fairly decent time anyway. (I mean, we still had 2 guards because that's, like, required.) Both of us were running variants of Brazil's build. It was pretty neat, we chatted the whole way though about what works and what doesn't. Felt nice not to just feel glared at the whole way.

Thanks for all Guardian replies. I will update as I advanced, trying to make Sword + Shield work, well.
My Mesmer and my ranger are also advancing nicely.

Felt pretty good to be accepted into a pug fotm 48 group that gave no shits that I was a Ranger, grabbed a second ranger, and then we rocked the dungeon in fairly decent time anyway. (I mean, we still had 2 guards because that's, like, required.) Both of us were running variants of Brazil's build. It was pretty neat, we chatted the whole way though about what works and what doesn't. Felt nice not to just feel glared at the whole way.

Brazil is a strange youtuber. At first I thought he was joking or it was some persona, but then I saw his posts on Guru. Guy has a pretty passive aggressive way of handling himself. It sounds like a combo of self loathing and extreme insecurities, which is a shame because damn his Guardian build is great as well.

From my experience, there has been some good improvements to the Greatsword for Rangers. It feels much better now, but I think counterstrike(skill 4) still needs work. In early beta the skill looked awesome.
When you did the block, the character would throw the sword in the ground, and do a really cool kick. ; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdnVNJXdvSY

Ranger is a really interesting profession, because it gets sold as a "good with da bow" legolas class, but Ranger has so many cool weapons.

Sword, is AMAZING. It's a really, really versatile action based style of play. The one handed sword for Ranger is more frantic than Thiefs D/D. Combined with the warhorn, or the dagger, it also gets some really cool option. With offhand Axe (the spin) it feels like a light armored tank.

I think the problem with Rangers is that, (from my experience) is that there ain't enough stuff you can really do with your pet/spirit. I sort of wish you could change your style of play more accordingly to the weapon you had.

jersoc

Queen's Gauntlet sounds like a awesome singleplayer challenge. You can activate certain effects and disadvantages for an increased reward I guess.

this patch sounds amazing, but it also comes out on Tales day :(

I don't know what to do! Still got SMT4 to beat too. good thing I got a week off soon.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Guild Event poll says FEED ME MORE VOOOOTES

Mount Maelstrom is out to a slight lead!

--

Other thoughts in my scouting/waxing philosophical on the incoming Champion buff last night:

-Southsun is packed to the gills with world Champs, plus more pop with scaling during events. A cleansing+Karka Queen guild event would be really fun for another time!

-Harathi has a bunch of champions from multiple-stage event chains. I got so sick of this zone back in the day, it'll be great to have a reason to go back.

-All paths of Arah involve carving through a fair number of Champions. One interesting thing is that, in addition to the plot bosses, there are kind of a lot in Path 3 that are traditionally just skipped and run past on the way to Lupi and then on the way to the Wraithlord. Maybe it'll be worth it to focus on a couple? Considering the potential value in a Champ bag, the most "efficient" routes through dungeons are going to take a while to eke out, and in discussions with Hrouda, they want to make killing more things in dungeons even more lucrative long-term.

-Guild Challenges that suddenly become much tastier: Branded for Termination, Skritt Sentry Defense.

-Went hunting for an old update that I know will become very relevant in days to pass:
A new test version of our advanced event scaling algorithm has been applied to four high-level, regularly played events to help us monitor the feasibility of this system in the live environment. This new scaling algorithm dynamically increases the difficulty of events by using the current system of increasing the difficulty of existing creatures, while also adding a new system that substitutes creatures of lower difficulty with different creatures as the event scales up. If successful, this system will be slowly extended to other events across the game during 2013.
This was from February, and affected mostly Orr and Frostgorge to my knowledge. I don't know if it had expanded yet since, but it was kind of a boring change to the layman- events with lots of people scaling them to a new "difficulty tier" meant they were harder and took longer with no matching increase in potential reward. Now, this algorithm provides for the exciting prospect of dynamically spawned Champions. Ones that you can't just "go get" every day- you need to bring enough people to force the event to throw one at you. As such, I honestly believe that the system should now be extended to as many events as possible in the game. Imagine if a guild group almost anywhere in the game world could cause a champion to spawn doing events together. Much is often made of the potential for griefing in such a scenario (spawn the Champ and then just run away leaving the newbies to die), but on the whole I actually expect this phenomenon to be rare.

Levyne

Banned
Thanks for all Guardian replies. I will update as I advanced, trying to make Sword + Shield work, well.
My Mesmer and my ranger are also advancing nicely. Brazil is a strange youtuber. At first I thought he was joking or it was some persona, but then I saw his posts on Guru. Guy has a pretty passive aggressive way of handling himself. It sounds like a combo of self loathing and extreme insecurities, which is a shame because damn his Guardian build is great as well.

From my experience, there has been some good improvements to the Greatsword for Rangers. It feels much better now, but I think counterstrike(skill 4) still needs work. In early beta the skill looked awesome. When you did the block, the character would throw the sword in the ground, and do a really cool kick. ; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdnVNJXdvSY

Ranger is a really interesting profession, because it gets sold as a "good with da bow" legolas class, but Ranger has so many cool weapons. Sword, is AMAZING. It's a really, really versatile action based style of play. The one handed sword for Ranger is more frantic than Thiefs D/D. Combined with the warhorn, or the dagger, it also gets some really cool option. With offhand Axe (the spin) it feels like a light armored tank.

I think the problem with Rangers is that, (from my experience) is that there ain't enough stuff you can really do with your pet/spirit. I sort of wish you could change your style of play more accordingly to the weapon you had.

Yeah, I haven't used the GS much since the changes to Maul and counterattack. I should slap it on and try it out again. Longbow is seeing more love in a lot of places recently, but NO ONE should play Ranger with the intent of being the "bow class". I think pets are versatile enough with some effort but yeah, spirits are a bit limited.

I often see the suggestion to pair sword with warhorn, but I can't switch from sword/axe. I loved axe and warhorn offhands before but a4 and wh5 were both buffed (even a5 provides retaliation now) and now I feel handicapped if I ever put on a two handed weapon in one of my swaps.

Leyvne glares at his ranger more than most people do... with the exception of those CoF 1 speed runners.

I apologize if that annoys people. I love playing ranger. It's simultaneously frustrating and rewarding.

Proven

The most frustrating thing about ranger warhorn is that 35 second cooldown without being traited. I deal with 30 seconds on my Necro but only because I use a utility to help stack swiftness.

Or maybe I'm just annoyed because I feel like half the point of using a warhorn is to help yourself to a mobility build that can stack perma-swiftness. Both my Warrior and Necro can do this, but my Ranger can't without using centaur runes or something, so it ends up being my least favorite weapon on the class.

Levyne

Banned
Yeah, I don't shoot for perma swiftness. In dungeons, having 5 seconds of swiftness on swap, sword evades, access to the warhorn, RaO, and +50% endurance regen, I feel I have enough mobility. In a wvw zerg I can usually just leech to a small extent some swfitness, and the signet of the hunt is a non-terrible band-aid. Can always stack the +50% damage. While it's hard to pull off, it's nice to have one attack of oppurtunity stacked and then Path of Scars and time the second activation so it hits both ways.

My least favorite weapon is by far, shortbow. Which is funny because I used to love it.

Retro

I apologize if that annoys people. I love playing ranger. It's simultaneously frustrating and rewarding.

Before they became the Flavor of the Expansion for most of Wrath, this sort of frustrated, self-loathing pride sounds close to what Paladins had in Vanilla and TBC... so I sympathize, my Ranger brother. It always sucks to be the class that's so fun, but so close to being broken and ineffective.

My suggestion to anyone who faces non-ironic shit or discrimination for their class (in this of all games); present them your middle finger.

This this this this this, a hundred times this. Anybody can fill just about any role in GW2 if they know what they're doing and spec/gear right. There's very few exceptions (Guardians and Mesmers, mostly) where something specific can only be delivered by that profession, and I get the feeling their days of exclusivity will end sooner rather than later, especially if they're adding new skills or weapon options. No one should look down at any one for playing any profession. That sort of elitist shit flies elsewhere, but if anybody is prevented from joining or kicked from a GAFGroup, I want to hear about it because that's some BS.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yeah don't discriminate people. Classism ain't classy

Because I am getting hyped for the next few updates with the the fury of condensed solar fusion, I will be picking out little things I'm noticing in the previews released so far that we haven't really focused on.
We’ll also add a new set of account-bound crafting materials to the game. You’ll receive these materials as guaranteed rewards once per day per unique location for completing content within a category of gameplay in Guild Wars 2.

For example, capturing camps, towers, and keeps in WvW will earn you these crafting materials. In the Living World, you can earn them for killing giant world bosses, defeating dungeons, completing jumping puzzles, completing mini-dungeons, finishing some types of guild missions, capturing temples in Orr, and other activities.
All of the mini-dungeons are awesome content. Giving people a reason to experience them is allll good.

Retro

Because I am getting hyped for the next few updates with the the fury of condensed solar fusion, I will be picking out little things I'm noticing in the previews released so far that we haven't really focused on.

Didn't Colin mention in the blog post that when crafting is bumped up to 500, a lot of it is going to be tied to once-daily account bound materials, so high-level crafted items can't flood the market and make crafting feel pointless?

I wonder if they're introducing those materials now, so people have a couple weeks to stockpile them and the market has a chance to cool off after the initial spike that comes with everything that's new? Makes sense to me.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Didn't Colin mention in the blog post that when crafting is bumped up to 500, a lot of it is going to be tied to once-daily account bound materials, so high-level crafted items can't flood the market and make crafting feel pointless?

I wonder if they're introducing those materials now, so people have a couple weeks to stockpile them and the market has a chance to cool off after the initial spike that comes with everything that's new? Makes sense to me.
Hmm. I don't think there's any indication that new crafting materials are being added in the next patch.

New mats would be cool but it would show their cards too much I think. New armors would have to be nearly finished and i'd assume the new legendary system as well.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
New mats would be cool but it would show their cards too much I think. New armors would have to be nearly finished and i'd assume the new legendary system as well.
Well... we don't know how far off that may be one way or the other. I just don't think there's any indication that the new materials will be added this patch. However, it is possible they will be folded into the Champion loot bags from the beginning.

imBask

Banned
Did they ever talk about adding a dungeon finder at some point? never was interested in doing dungeon runs so, i'm just asking

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Did they ever talk about adding a dungeon finder at some point? never was interested in doing dungeon runs so, i'm just asking
A LFG tool (for more than just dungeons) is guaranteed by the end of the year- and unofficially, it's coming sooner rather than later.

imBask

Banned
A LFG tool (for more than just dungeons) is guaranteed by the end of the year- and unofficially, it's coming sooner rather than later.

thanks! really looking forward to it

I know people complained about the dungeon finder in WoW removing the "community" aspect of the game, but I can't stand having to run trying to find a group (or use the unofficial website, meh).

Retro

Hmm. I don't think there's any indication that new crafting materials are being added in the next patch.

Ah, I thought the snippet you quoted was in reference to the next release. Nevermind then.

Stop with that =p

I know people complained about the dungeon finder in WoW removing the "community" aspect of the game, but I can't stand having to run trying to find a group (or use the unofficial website, meh).

The problem with the WoW LFG is that it was completely automated; press LFG, pick tank/heal/dps, and it does everything else for you. It builds the party and teleports everyone straight into the dungeon. You didn't even have to speak to anyone; you just went through the motions, got your loot and went on. It might as well have been 4 NPCs.

And that's why it negatively impacted the community aspect because it took away the need to communicate. It used to be, you'd hang out in town and look for people, or hang out near the dungeon entryway. Yeah, it took a while sometimes, but you also met a lot of people you'd bump into again, form friendships or even find a new guild. The point is, you actually interacted with people.

It also hurt the community because it was cross-server. It meant you'd never run into the friendly folks again (since server transfers were $25 and permanent), and it gave the assholes free license to Need roll on everything, rush the group and generally act as bad as they wanted because, again, you'd likely never run into them ever again.

The GW2 LFG tool needs to be a Group "Helper", not an automated "Group Maker".

imBask

Banned
The problem with the WoW LFG is that it was completely automated; press LFG, pick tank/heal/dps, and it does everything else for you. It builds the party and teleports everyone straight into the dungeon. You didn't even have to speak to anyone; you just went through the motions, got your loot and went on. It might as well have been 4 NPCs.

And that's why it negatively impacted the community aspect because it took away the need to communicate. It used to be, you'd hang out in town and look for people, or hang out near the dungeon entryway. Yeah, it took a while sometimes, but you also met a lot of people you'd bump into again, form friendships or even find a new guild. The point is, you actually interacted with people.

It also hurt the community because it was cross-server. It meant you'd never run into the friendly folks again (since server transfers were $25 and permanent), and it gave the assholes free license to Need roll on everything, rush the group and generally act as bad as they wanted because, again, you'd likely never run into them ever again.

The GW2 LFG tool needs to be a Group "Helper", not an automated "Group Maker".

part of the problem before LFG in WoW for me was the fact that I was young and english isn't my first language, so it was kinda hard to find people to play with... I'll wait and see how they manage to include the LFG in GW2, I just can't stand the actual method and prefer the anti-social way of WoW to what we have right now to be honest, but that's me

Levyne

Banned
I love having a group of friends to run dungeon with. Feels significantly less like a job. Though pugging is nice if you just want your fractal rank up or need that last handful of tokens for an armor. Plus you can meet new friends that way. It's nice having people whisper me when I log in asking to dungeon, reminiscing on the good and bad during the run, truly feeling happy seeing someone you know finally get that fractal weapon or w/e instead of feeling scummy that your pug mate did.. If it's not GAF, find another guild, or fill up that contact list. It helps with gaf runs too if you can only find 3/4 for something less popular, better to say "lemme ask a few friends" rather than "let's contract a pug". I dunno. Trying not to lean too far one way or the other.

Anyone here playing the game in a triple monitor (5760x1080) setup? I'm waiting for my third 1080p monitor in the mail today. If so, what's the Field of Vision like?

Katoki

Levyne

Banned
Damn, 3 1200p monitors...Can't wait to get my one 1200p monitor going....

Fuck it.

Amazon cart punched though.

Everything else that goes in a computron.

In the next week I may be in here with questions lol.

Levyne

Banned
I think you'd make a great entrant in that contest Katoki.

Whoa. Changes at gafguild.com. Check it out :)

Well, check it out soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom