• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katoki

Oh, there's a lot of stuff in there when looking at the individual submissions. I was looking at the slideshow which most likely hasn't caught up or hasn't been updated since. .-.

Edit: Made it through all the submissions... most of them are of outfits that're matching sets as is so those of you guys who actually have "custom"-matched outfits will do well here. I'm gonna take a crack at a submission post while at work and then go out for screenshots after I get home.

Levyne

Banned
I think Ursa or Hythloday would also make good submissions. And then Grindan Valecus... (I probably murdered that..Asteria de Ursa and Co.) And siafra...

so many good looking characters armors

I'm too set in keeping armor sets together as designed to have any chance

Levyne

Banned
I like this touch.

ZKSc9BU.png

But it seems incorrect at the time of the screencap.

Katoki

Don't suppose someone could identify the non-jerkin part of the Krytan Jerkin skin for me? It's like a bustier but not one... is it?

Edit: Doesn't matter much if not. I have an alternate entry post but I'm going to work on a few until I find something I like.

hythloday

I think bustier would be a good term for it.

Last night I splurged on the phoenix set for my Mesmer. It would be absolutely perfect for me if it didn't have the feathers hanging in midair on the back of it. And I don't like the boots, but whatevs. It's niiiiice. If they keep releasing cool armor sets like this I'm going to be spending so much money on playing dress-up.

Katoki

Replace those stompy boots with the 400-level tailored boots. They're much slimmer, have heels, and still match the feathery look.

I also bought the Phoenix set last night for my elementalist as the T3 cultural leggings were getting old. Funnily enough, I found that the Phoenix chest piece goes well with the T3 leggings, so I can always change it up to that in the future. I haven't gotten around to crafting the boots though but it's not a big deal on my end.

Trey

Interesting to see what Anet brings to the table in the distant future now that EQN is on the horizon. They share similar design philosophies.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
EQNext will be competing solely in the highly-coveted Voxel-based MMO space. GW2 can't possibly match them there.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm not familiar with Voxel. Is that minecraft?
Minecraft doesn't actually employ voxels but voxels are point units with volume, like a 3D pixel, that can be used to create or deconstruct geometry very similar to how Minecraft does its thing with cubes, but allowing for more natural (which is to say, curved) shapes. EQNext is the first MMO (hell, the first major release?) ever to be entirely voxel-based which is crazily ballsy but also a little risky, as voxel-based games so far have been relatively awkward to view in my opinion, especially when it comes to believable animation.

Trey

Minecraft doesn't actually employ voxels but voxels are point units with volume, like a 3D pixel, that can be used to create or deconstruct geometry very similar to how Minecraft does its thing with cubes, but allowing for more natural (which is to say, curved) shapes. EQNext is the first MMO (hell, the first major release?) ever to be entirely voxel-based which is crazily ballsy but also a little risky, as voxel-based games so far have been relatively awkward to view in my opinion, especially when it comes to believable animation.

Yeah, I just read the wiki. Seems interesting. Surely that will apply only to the geometry, though.

Lunar15

EQNext will be competing solely in the highly-coveted Voxel-based MMO space. GW2 can't possibly match them there.

Looks fun. Super risky, but I can definitely see it paying off in bucketloads if they do it right. It's risky, but a potentially smart move.

And plus, it's got the trinity, so it's a real MMO.

Trey

Looks fun. Super risky, but I can definitely see it paying off in bucketloads if they do it right. It's risky, but a potentially smart move.

Best to not even engage those people.

To be honest, EQN seems to be taking GW2's own philosophy one step (or two) further.

Problem with that is they can't give too much. Landmark sounds nice but the player base won't appreciate the world changing drastically very often.

Now if they apply that system to crafting, then they are cooking with oil.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yeah, I just read the wiki. Seems interesting. Surely that will apply only to the geometry, though.
Massively said:
everything in EverQuest Next is made of voxels -- the ground, the plants, buildings, everything.
To be honest, EQN seems to be taking GW2's own philosophy one step (or two) further.
I sort of disagree.

If we were going to put it that way, I think they're taking GW2's philosophy with regard to quests like 40 steps further. Which is to say, events can seemingly have multiple "success" conditions, or that there isn't really success at all, just multiple states of stability versus instability and the player can push them in either direction.

But really, it's a stretch to look at it that way. What they're really doing is making a pure sandbox with regard to quest/event interaction, which isn't something GW2 attempts at all. In GW2 the event chains have mutliple steps and can branch, but there is a way that things are supposed to go, equaling success, and the opposite equaling failure. EQN seems to be more along the lines of "whatever happens, happens" which is totally ambitious and awesome and has enormous potential, but is very different from the structure of GW2.

If nothing else, it is so different everyone will have to pay attention. That is maybe what matters most of all right now.
Whatever... it's a sandbox so I won't let this dissuade me :p The "class" system seems incredibly flexible either way.

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
The structure is certainly going to be very different from GW2 (sandbox versus themepark), but outside of that, let's be honest, EQN's entire design philosophy is what Anet originally wanted with their dynamic events, and what they're currently trying with their living world content. Also, the combat system seems to be heavily influenced by GW2's.

Lunar15

The structure is certainly going to be very different from GW2 (sandbox versus themepark), but outside of that, let's be honest, EQN's entire design philosophy is what Anet originally wanted with their dynamic events, and what they're currently trying with their living world content. Also, the combat system seems to be heavily influenced by GW2's.

Totally, and that's why I'm interested in it.

I will have to see what's up with the trinity though. I really dislike the trinity in other MMO's, but if the action style combat makes this more flexible, I'm all down for it. Overall it looks like the new direction a lot of people were looking for, so I'm excited to see where it goes. I really loved Minecraft and I really love Guild Wars. Combining them? Sign me up.

Ashodin

Totally, and that's why I'm interested in it.

I will have to see what's up with the trinity though. I really dislike the trinity in other MMO's, but if the action style combat makes this more flexible, I'm all down for it. Overall it looks like the new direction a lot of people were looking for, so I'm excited to see where it goes. I really loved Minecraft and I really love Guild Wars. Combining them? Sign me up.

I don't think it'll really matter in the long run for trinity. First, you can change your class at will out of combat, and you can still mix and match skills anyway. Plus there won't be specific "raids" or "dungeons", since everything is based on exploration. There will be huge public quests, but that just means the tanky guys can shine on the front lines protecting the casters.

Lunar15

I don't think it'll really matter in the long run for trinity. First, you can change your class at will out of combat, and you can still mix and match skills anyway. Plus there won't be specific "raids" or "dungeons", since everything is based on exploration. There will be huge public quests, but that just means the tanky guys can shine on the front lines protecting the casters.

The best thing is that it seems so different that it can co-exist alongside other MMO's. Nice to hear about the flexibility of classes.

Hey, if GAFGuild goes, I'll probably go too. You guys would probably be the main factor in choosing where I go next.

Ashodin

The best thing is that it seems so different that it can co-exist alongside other MMO's. Nice to hear about the flexibility of classes.

Hey, if GAFGuild goes, I'll probably go too. You guys would probably be the main factor in choosing where I go next.

I'm telling you right now Jira and I are going to be playing this alongside GW2. If any of you want to come, you're welcome to.

Lunar15

I'm telling you right now Jira and I are going to be playing this alongside GW2. If any of you want to come, you're welcome to.

Only thing that worries me is F2P. Don't like the way F2P games are set up. I'd much rather pay an initial cost up front.

Ashodin

Only thing that worries me is F2P. Don't like the way F2P games are set up. I'd much rather pay an initial cost up front.

Most likely the only thing they'll make money from is the player studio. I don't see them adding a cash shop thing if this is the case. A sub is likely though.

Ragus

Banned
My god, this game is AMAZING. So many little things that bothered me in WoW simply do not exist here. 15 hours in and I love every single minute of it.

TrounceX

Hawkian said:
Attention fashion hounds,
Best Dressed Character Contest, sponsored by ANet.

Some serious prizes here. First place is a commissioned portrait of your character and 4000 gems.

Man I am so entering this. I'm actually really proud of my armor design and I get comments about it quite frequently. Feels good man. The problem is that I'm almost completely colorblind so I suck at dyes. I just run deep glacial sky with a couple touches of midnight ice...

Maybe I can team up with someone to the dye. We can split the gems if I win!

Sophia

My god, this game is AMAZING. So many little things that bothered me in WoW simply do not exist here. 15 hours in and I love every single minute of it.

You will never go back to standard questing ever again. There's just so much fun in actually exploring to level.

Kite

Man I am so entering this. I'm actually really proud of my armor design and I get comments about it quite frequently. Feels good man. The problem is that I'm almost completely colorblind so I suck at dyes. I just run deep glacial sky with a couple touches of midnight ice...

Maybe I can team up with someone to the dye. We can split the gems if I win!
/r/GuildWarsDyeJob/ might be able to help you out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom