• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunar15

Lore in 2? Great. I think they've crafted a really interesting world with a lot of moving parts. Story? Pretty bad, so far, and not just in the personal story, but also in the living story.

Without structured quests, events don't seem very story focused, which for some might actually be a great thing. Anet's admitted as much.

Ploid 3.0

So I just got the new gem store armor set skins, and it show up as one icon. So if I use this will it separate the skins like opening a bag or will it apply the skins to what I currently have on?

Lunar15

So I just got the new gem store armor set skins, and it show up as one icon. So if I use this will it separate the skins like opening a bag or will it apply the skins to what I currently have on?

They'll come out as 6 different skins that you can apply to armor separately.

Jira

I won't be surprised if the Aetherblades swoop in and attack DR from the skies, killing Queen Jennah in the process. Knowing that the next update is called Queen's Speech...hmmm.

Lunar15

I won't be surprised if the Aetherblades swoop in and attack DR from the skies, killing Queen Jennah in the process. Knowing that the next update is called Queen's Speech...hmmm.

I don't think I can take the sheer amount of Logan angst if that happens.

Maybe she'll declare war on the Aetherblades or a Dragon once we find out more about them. That'd be an interesting twist.

Lunar15

Maybe Logan will get some shrapnel to the head?

Let's not get too hopeful here.

Keeping my expectations pretty low. I feel like we overhype every story point, and it's usually never anything too crazy. I will say that the current update's story did surprise me, but even then, I just don't expect too much out of each individual update anymore.

Plus, I can't imagine that things would be too sad given that it's the game's anniversary.

Maybe she'll declare war on the Aetherblades or a Dragon once we find out more about them. That'd be an interesting twist.

It could acutally light a vengeful fire in him and actually make him man the hell up for a change. That would be nice.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
The living story stuff was great up until you started following Traherne. Living story will be what makes the GW2 lore more interesting. Little birdy told me that the next update will be "memorable"...I feel like someone is going to die.

Obviously the battle of divinity's reach where Evon saves us all.

I feel like they won't kill anyone who appears in Personal stories...for the sake of continuity. Logan dies! 10 mins later, does next step of Personal story and sees him alive and well.

Jira

Obviously the battle of divinity's reach where Evon saves us all.

I feel like they won't kill anyone who appears in Personal stories...for the sake of continuity. Logan dies! 10 mins later, does next step of Personal story and sees him alive and well.

That's a good point, I'd honestly forgot about that.

Maybe they got inspiration from King's Speech and she will end up getting a stutter and we will have to help her learn to speak publicly again!

Honestly just because a character is in the Personal Story shouldn't eliminate them from dying. It's silly and really not anymore immersion breaking than defeating Zhaitan in the PS only to still be fighting his minions in the normal world.

Shanlei91

Honestly just because a character is in the Personal Story shouldn't eliminate them from dying. It's silly and really not anymore immersion breaking than defeating Zhaitan in the PS only to still be fighting his minions in the normal world.

Thanks to all the people who say they still haven't finished their personal story, myself included, Zhaitan lives on forever.

Memorable change? The great collapse gets explained, and whatever caused it comes up tot he forefront, resulting in a new dungeon?

What I want to know is why the Aetherblade are still attacking.

Wallach

Maybe they'll try it and Logan will die trying to save her.

I can dream.

So I was interested in this game around release but kind of forgot about it. I've been hearing a little more about it lately and I saw that it's $40 on Amazon right now. So I was wondering a few things:

1) Is this game worth it for PvE alone? I would probably only do small amounts of PvP as I'm not too interested in it.

2) Is the game still being supported and updated regularly?

3) Would this game be for a person who does not regularly play MMOs but enjoys the social idea and setting/look of the game?

4) Will I get a lot of time out of the game? (80-100 hours worth of gameplay).

5) Is the community still pretty active after a year or so has passed since launch?

I'm sure some of you guys have been playing since release so I want some honest opinions. I've heard a lot of mixed things about this game and I'm not sure whether it'd be a good idea to just give it a shot or not! Thanks to anyone who would be willing to answer my questions :)

I think the whole game is fun. I've personally been playing WvW more lately that's fun. I feel they update a lot but I'm new to this kind of game been playing since spring and I'm hooked. A lot of people play when I'm playing.

Answers in Bold.

So I was interested in this game around release but kind of forgot about it. I've been hearing a little more about it lately and I saw that it's $40 on Amazon right now. So I was wondering a few things:

1) Is this game worth it for PvE alone? I would probably only do small amounts of PvP as I'm not too interested in it.

PVE is the most heavily supported aspect of the game and most of us find it quite good.

Patches with new content out every two weeks now. By far more supported than any other MMO on the market currently.

3) Would this game be for a person who does not regularly play MMOs but enjoys the social idea and setting/look of the game?

We have quite a few guild members who've never played an MMO before enjoying the game. We also have players who are tired of the standard MMO who enjoy it as well. However there are plenty of people who didn't like it as well.

There's a ton of content already and more every week. Some temporary, some permanent. As someone who has over 1200 hours played since launch, you can easily get more than 100 hours of enjoyment out of it.

5) Is the community still pretty active after a year or so has passed since launch?

There isn't a single server that has a "Low" population. That being said most of the playerbase is higher level so not all zones are packed with players as they were during launch so it can seem empty at times and in certain places.

I'm sure some of you guys have been playing since release so I want some honest opinions. I've heard a lot of mixed things about this game and I'm not sure whether it'd be a good idea to just give it a shot or not! Thanks to anyone who would be willing to answer my questions :)

Wallach

I think so. I will say the PvE has some pretty deep-seated balance issues that haven't been addressed, but I feel like they're the kind of things you probably won't notice for quite a while when just starting out. They're also not things everyone cares about. PvE is certainly the most polished and expanded upon content in the game.

Very much so, at least on the PvE side of things. Maybe not in the most interesting ways currently, but they're still doing more active support for this game than anything else on the market. Stuff is still coming every 2-3 weeks.

This is probably the ideal game for such a person.

Easily. It isn't hard to put a couple hundred hours into the game without repeating anything.

Sort of? The at-large community on the 'net has definitely dwindled, but the in-game population seems about as lively as ever. It's a bit strange, honestly. The game seems to have a lot of players, both hardcore and casual, but from the outside looking in you wouldn't know it. Their official forums and the GW2 subreddit are about the most active corners on the 'net related to the game.

Jira

Yep, I've only spent somewhere around 10-20 hours in sPvP & WvW combined. The rest of my other 1,500 hours have been in PvE.

There isn't a single other game in the industry being supported as well nor as quickly as GW2. We get new content every two weeks without fail.

Yep, MMOs are inherently good for social gaming. This one also allows you to be in 5 guilds at once so you can switch them at will. You'll find that the anti-social or antagonistic gameplay elements of other MMOs have been removed in GW2.

See my numbers above.

This is the 3rd MMO in the past decade to grow after the initial launch. They've increased the server capacities something like 6-7 times since launch and every time they keep filling back up and have to be increased again. Population spread in this game is interesting because you have new players or new alts and of course you have max level players but they can all play together. What tends to happen is when a new update comes out the playerbase moves into the areas where that content is, while the really big boss chains still get completed, some of the rest of the world can feel desolate but it's only because everyone is elsewhere, not that there's no one playing. In all honesty I've never seen more people in a PvE environment than in GW2 during big events or new update areas.

/

Jira

the side effect of bi weekly patches. on the up side, there is no monthly fee either!

That's the interesting thing. I've often said that the bi-weekly update cycle is kinda like ANet's version of a "subscription" where they keep you playing and you kinda feel like you're obligated to play, BUT if you miss out it's just cosmetics so it's not like people gain an advantage over you.

Retro

What I want to know is why the Aetherblade are still attacking.

The group we took out in the Retreat was sort of a terrorist cell; we may have taken out Mai Trin, but there's still her superior out there, someone she refers to as "Scarlet".

Reminder, we are all regulars of the game in the game's community thread.

For $40, on the off chance that we're telling the truth, the payoff in hours-to-dollars is staggering (and climbing). I like to think that, PR Mouthpieces like myself aside, there's enough level-headed folks in here to make the case plainly...

I WANT TOMORROWSSSSSS UPDATE

All those hours at the bottom of a pit and you still haven't learned patience.
JUWnj.gif

Katoki

I found out last night that my thief was at 1200 or so hours alone with a total of ~2700 hours on my account. This is probably at the mid-end on the scale because some of the WvW commanders are at 4k+ or something.

Shanlei91

Don't play this game if you ever want to play another game again.

I told myself that I need to play something else, just for some variety and to get some use out of my consoles.

...so I googled up "short games". Playing Metal Gear Revengeance this week.

Complistic

Its really not that I feel that I MUST PLAY gw2, it's just all I do play now because no other game gives me the same fun value that gw2 does. And thats all that matters to me.

That pretty much sums it up for me as well. I'm pretty sure I'm not buying another PC game this year and I'll instead spend that money on gems.

Sadly, i'm in the same boat. I have mint copies of tomb raider, Muramasa, and the last of us sitting unfinished because I keep playing gw 2.

I need to take a break, and spend one week on, and one week playing something else.

Damn those two week updates...

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

Oh brother :[]

Buy the shit out of this game.
Guys seeing as those missable events won't be coming back, are there any videos where I can see the story so far?
Part 1
Part 2

Jira

Guys seeing as those missable events won't be coming back, are there any videos where I can see the story so far?

Some won't come back but some will. Mad King, Wintersday, Super Adventure Box, Dragon Bash, Zephyr Santcum, and Queen's Jubilee are all annual (SAB comes back when the next world is finished) events and will return with new stories/content. The other 9-10 updates will not,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom