• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sophia

XP wise or something similar? Ultima Online and EVE Online do but those are more full on character progression than XP. In both of those games crafting is the main aspect of the game if you want it to be, your entire character is built around crafting while in GW2 it's supplemental to everything else.

XP wise mainly. You can actually play a pure crafter, although it doesn't work out too well because certain crafting drops only drop off enemies. :(

And yeah, Ultima Online and EVE are about the only two I can think of. In most MMOs crafting is just a throwaway thing. Everquest 2 had decent crafting too, but you earned no XP off it last I checked.

Retro

I honestly don't even remember. The last several months have had me off of my PC, unfortunately. But time has finally freed up. Winter/Spring? :)

thedude.2846

Huh, you were never culled, so it must have been before April... or it's just not showing you were invited in the Roster log. Either way, you're in!

I love crafting this game so much..... What other MMO actually rewards you for crafting?

Vanguard. If I could take one thing from Vanguard and put it into GW2, it would be the crafting. That said, it was a much more intensive process; every crafting session felt like a battle against conditions, needing the right tools and materials for whatever hazards emerged. It felt like it's own separate little game, and it was a blast. Rewards were good too. But it was a slow process, and while the gear was decent, crafting was it's own 'tier' of content and so you didn't level up your adventuring or diplomacy tiers at all...

So while I'm happy with GW2's crafting, but I would totally play Vanguard just for the crafting, and wish something like that was happening here.

jersoc

oh, also, has any guardians beat whatever and chomper? i can't stop chomper from getting the meat because i'm having to run from the other guy and the meat doesn't show up either. not to mention that almost all the time it lands right by the dog. the rest of the fights seem fair, but this one seems stupid complicated for no reason.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I love crafting this game so much..... What other MMO actually rewards you for crafting?

Star Wars Galaxies' class system was basically based on trait trees...so you could just pump everything into crafting classes and go full crafting.

With all items generated from players, crafting was vital as otherwise players had nowhere to get loot from. In addition, players could have factory installations, farms for minerals, etc. Being a crafter was ridiculously in-depth.

It remains the MMO I was the most successful in (in terms of currency). I had gone a very awkward route of mixing doctor class with cook. As result, discovered early on that there was a buff that was basically haste for casting buffs. Doctor's main source of income was buffing players, who would wait on lines in cities as doctors would apply each buff to a player in exchange for money. I basically took over this industry on my server by monopolizing on the source of the ingredients of the food buff, which allowed me to buff a dozen players in less than 10 seconds, thus eliminating waiting around / lines.

I ended up with so much money that I pumped it into gathering resources to sell and towards the tail end began hiring players to work for me. Personal weapon/armor makers for myself, guys hired to do the doctor work for me while I gave them supplies/ I retraited to another class, etc. I would be really impressed if another game offered an experience where being a crafter led to being a space tycoon.

markot

Banned
Star Wars Galaxies' class system was basically based on trait trees...so you could just pump everything into crafting classes and go full crafting.

With all items generated from players, crafting was vital as otherwise players had nowhere to get loot from. In addition, players could have factory installations, farms for minerals, etc. Being a crafter was ridiculously in-depth.

It remains the MMO I was the most successful in (in terms of currency). I had gone a very awkward route of mixing doctor class with cook. As result, discovered early on that there was a buff that was basically haste for casting buffs. Doctor's main source of income was buffing players, who would wait on lines in cities as doctors would apply each buff to a player in exchange for money. I basically took over this industry on my server by monopolizing on the source of the ingredients of the food buff, which allowed me to buff a dozen players in less than 10 seconds, thus eliminating waiting around / lines.

I ended up with so much money that I pumped it into gathering resources to sell and towards the tail end began hiring players to work for me. Personal weapon/armor makers for myself, guys hired to do the doctor work for me while I gave them supplies/ I retraited to another class, etc. I would be really impressed if another game offered an experience where being a crafter led to being a space tycoon.
sounds awful...

Jira

Dat sandbox. I was a BH on Bria (Imperial). I never got too deeply into any one aspect but that may have been because it was my first big MMO at the time back in 2003 making me 17. I guess at that point I hadn't realized how much I loved crafting/economy in games.

Also, you should look into EVE Online. Exact same possibilities and more.

Shiokazu

first stuff first: this is my first post ever here at the gaf so i'd like first to introduce myself saying, " im sorry for being a prick and doing what i am doing right now, but, hello people. "

seconds:

i'd like to comment on the current living story content:

its awesome, aint no party like queen jennah's.

finals:

im playing in northern shiverpeaks by the name of Viljastyrk, im a norn fem guardian.

Katoki

That explains the tights. Kanik is a made space doctor.

Luigi87

226g to 4g in two days just getting the remainder of my mats for Gift of Fortune (and still don't quite have them as I battle people who one up my buy orders by single copper increments, then people one up them, and the price actually goes UP instead of DOWN in spite of all this champ farming).

... I can do this... I can do this...

Retro

first stuff first: this is my first post ever here at the gaf so i'd like first to introduce myself saying, " im sorry for being a prick and doing what i am doing right now, but, hello people. "

You're not being a prick for saying hello. If anything, it's kind of flattering you picked the GW2 thread to start your GAF Career in.

i'd like to comment on the current living story content:

its awesome, aint no party like queen jennah's.

As Colin would say, "Just wait". There's all sorts of chatter going in interviews and such about the anniversary update being something special and 'setting the tone for the future of the game'. Hype. Get.

im playing in northern shiverpeaks by the name of Viljastyrk, im a norn fem guardian.

Awesome, hope none of us killed you in WvW this week.
JUWnj.gif

I went ahead and sent you an invite to GAFGuild; you can ignore it if you want but since you can multi-guild it can't really hurt. We don't require you to roll on Stormbluff Isle (though you'll likely want to guest for missions and such) or even to represent all the time. But it's a good place to ask questions, enjoy a nice, active community and listen to the worst puns you've ever heard. If that doesn't sound like fun, you can ignore the invite and nobody'll be upset. A quick look shows 3 folks in the guild are on NSP anyways.

hythloday

Hey guys, I'd like to make a request:

I'd like to see your hilarious GAFGuild screenshots! My preference is for good quotes from guild chat, but if you have a funny dungeon wipe or photobomb, that's awesome too. You can throw it on imgur and PM me the link, if you have something to submit.

If I get enough, I will do a thing with it.

A Thing.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Sorry I missed our usual makeup time, been running between houses a lot this afternoon. Hopping on now to see if anything is needed.

Shiokazu

As Colin would say, "Just wait". There's all sorts of chatter going in interviews and such about the anniversary update being something special and 'setting the tone for the future of the game'. Hype. Get.

im drooling in anticipation

Awesome, hope none of us killed you in WvW this week.
JUWnj.gif

I went ahead and sent you an invite to GAFGuild; you can ignore it if you want but since you can multi-guild it can't really hurt. We don't require you to roll on Stormbluff Isle (though you'll likely want to guest for missions and such) or even to represent all the time. But it's a good place to ask questions, enjoy a nice, active community and listen to the worst puns you've ever heard. If that doesn't sound like fun, you can ignore the invite and nobody'll be upset. A quick look shows 3 folks in the guild are on NSP anyways.

still not tried WvW yet, started the game a month ago, and been busy so, im still at lv 50ish ( trying to be accurate 56 )

as for a guild, i joined one about a week ago... still seeing if stuff are going to rock, i just hope that if my boat sinks in that guild, the invite would be still up.

What if the disturbance in DR because the Queen Surrenders to Cadecus and Aetherblades, it also changes Cadecus Manor...think about that.

jersoc

ok beat chomper. used hounds of bal as a distraction. worked great. took like 20 seconds once i got the meat. first few times he meat landed right on the dog. so that sucked.

Mxrz

We got crab rush twice this evening. That thing is brutal on small guilds. Still got most people through. Southsun is a really nice area, but they need to do something to bring players into it.

Snagged the 5k chest. Not entirely sure if I want a bank tab, or 9th character/mule slot. There's a lot of account bound junk piling up. Voting tokens, scraps or whatever and all that.

sounds awful...

Star Wars Galaxies is one of the best gaming experiences I ever had. I truly believe that game got closer to what a MMO should strive to become.

This was a broken game. Combat, pvp, quests, progression, balance. It was in despite of all these flawed things, that the game was a tremendous success and breakthrough, in other areas (community, player run economy, player build cities, innovation, individuality, customization,)

There was another gameplay system that complimented the crafting. The resources system. You wouldn't just gather materials in the world. Every material, would be of a certain % purity value.

Meaning, to strive to make the best houses/droids/armor/starships/weapons, you would need materials with the highest %(highest being 100%). The thing with that? All these materials spawned randomly around the world with varying values.

For a person who spend all his points in crafting, he would have to rely on other people to gather him the best materials in the world. But no guide could be written when a randomized system governed the quality of everything, and since everything was build by others players, you where dependent on other players to sell, trade and buy from. Shunned if you where an asshole, the game had other radical ideas about what a community could be.

This was one hell of a game. And nothing has been like it since.

In contrast to that system, GW2 has a more simple straight forward crafting, but in GW2 it is instantly rewarding. It's a great system, in a different way.

Luigi87

... Ran out of gold just before I could get all the mats needed for both Gift of Magic, and Gift of Might...
Suddenly thinking I need to start selling every non-essential mat I have...

Luigi87

Uh oh liquidation in progress

It will be ;_;
Spending all of my gold, I am still 156 Powerful Venom Sacs short of Gift of Magic.
I already have the clovers and Gift of Might. Still need the ectos too.

Then I can start saving for both a precursor, and the gift specific to said legendary @_@

... PROGRESS

At least on my I have a lot of karma saved, my T5 mats and below, and 135 laurels and counting that can all be spent...

Jira

It will be ;_;
Spending all of my gold, I am still 156 Powerful Venom Sacs short of Gift of Magic.
I already have the clovers and Gift of Might. Still need the ectos too.

Then I can start saving for both a precursor, and the gift specific to said legendary @_@

... PROGRESS

At least on my I have a lot of karma saved, my T5 mats and below, and 135 laurels and counting that can all be spent...

I would highly suggest NOT crafting those gifts yet. Colin's blog post talked about new legendaries and new types of legendaries. Also, the stuff in the blog was coming sooner rather than later...I wouldn't want to see you blow all those mats on the gifts then regret it if you see something better.

Lunar15

www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiMFEqz3GQ4

New Guild Wars 2 Mysteries from WoodenPotatoes is really good if you are into theorizing about what will happen next in the living story.

Very interesting. I love wooden potatoes' videos. This one was a lot of fun.

That being said, I'd rather not have everything tied to multiple universes and steam creatures. I kind of want more to come from existing lore than outside of lore. You know, like the Dragons or the Gods.

Shiokazu

That being said, I'd rather not have everything tied to multiple universes and steam creatures. I kind of want more to come from existing lore than outside of lore. You know, like the Dragons or the Gods.

how many times did he hit the spot?

Katoki

If this is remotely useful, my champion bags turned rare when I hit level 45. I'm going to assume they go exotic when I hit around 65 or 70.

If this is remotely useful, my champion bags turned rare when I hit level 45. I'm going to assume they go exotic when I hit around 65 or 70.

It seems to me, that the pavillion(at least) only gives good stuff to the 80s. I was roaming around with a lvl 55ish, and she didnt get half as good loot as i did. And no rares.

I had MF at 300% and she had at 120-150% so that might be why, but still. We did events and champs there for hours.

Katoki

It seems to me, that the pavillion(at least) only gives good stuff to the 80s. I was roaming around with a lvl 55ish, and she didnt get half as good loot as i did. And no rares.

I had MF at 300% and she had at 120-150% so that might be why, but still. We did events and champs there for hours.

For context, I've been exclusively doing WvW with my under-leveled warrior. Other than that, the pavilion is indeed better albeit bordering mind-numbing levels of boring after a while.

Queen’s Gauntlet will return, possibly as part of the activity rotation or even other events. In any case, you’ll be able to complete those achievements at a later date.

Source

Because I'm terrible at it anyway. All my tickets are on a character I'm not totally familiar with/can't play very well.

I said WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT
You like his theory or you think it is too far out there?

It is just a theory and I even if it is true it is probably just scratching the surface. I am getting less and less worried about ANeT and lore, and I can't wait to see the update info tomorrow.

Lunar15

Hey guys, I'd like to make a request:

I'd like to see your hilarious GAFGuild screenshots! My preference is for good quotes from guild chat, but if you have a funny dungeon wipe or photobomb, that's awesome too. You can throw it on imgur and PM me the link, if you have something to submit.

If I get enough, I will do a thing with it.

A Thing.

I will totally help out on this. I have several I can send over.

Levyne

Banned
New ones may not use the same Gifts though..I mean they might be they're also the chance they won't.

I hope they use the gift of mastery...needed bank space so I crafted one to combine a few things....if not guess I have to decide on a gen 1 legendary.

I have most of the generic stuff for a Legendary collected but I've slowed down collecting considerably because I don't know which weapon-specific Gift's will be necessary for the new ones and I may possibly prefer one of those over the current selection. The last thing I want to do is craft my Legendary only to find out there's one a like a lot better a few months later.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiMFEqz3GQ4

New Guild Wars 2 Mysteries from WoodenPotatoes is really good if you are into theorizing about what will happen next in the living story.

Geeze, I wish he would just write the story for them. So epic with everything tying in. Kiel is the real villain, believe.

...I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't that much depth and the reactor is just an enormous nod to LOST and the future doppleganger wanting to kill you is a nod to The One.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

I go back and forth on this. Nothing they do can really be "outside of lore," it's not like they're writing fan-fiction :p Anything that occurs will be part of the lore, even if it's new lore from our perspective. At the same time I'm salty about Abbadon too and I love stories about the Six, plus there is so much unexplored about the Dragons who remain the main antagonists. We've seen one, and don't even know the general whereabouts of two.

The infinity ball stuff was part of my favorite personal story arc. I guess I'm a sucker for alternate universes, really.

Levyne

Banned
I loved the lore and story in GW1 but don't care for it in 2. I don't know if it's because I could tolerate more then, or if the cutscene style used in 2 REALLY turned me off about caring about the characters or what. Even if it's a non-skippable scene or something I just zone out and alt tab in my brain until I can play the game again.

It's a stance I've found myself taking to in other games as well (when I play them). I suggest a game such as some of my favorites like The Last Remnant or FFXII, or Fire Emblem GBA, or something like Vanquish (too brief to really be considered a favorite but a game I enjoyed immensely) and I'm asked "How's the story?". I answer to myself "Who the hell cares."

I loved the lore and story in GW1 but don't care for it in 2. I don't know if it's because I could tolerate more then, or if the cutscene style used in 2 REALLY turned me off about caring about the characters or what. Even if it's a non-skippable scene or something I just zone out and alt tab in my brain until I can play the game again.

It's a stance I've found myself taking to in other games as well (when I play them). I suggest a game such as some of my favorites like The Last Remnant or FFXII, or Fire Emblem GBA, or something like Vanquish (too brief to really be considered a favorite but a game I enjoyed immensely) and I'm asked "How's the story?". I answer to myself "Who the hell cares."

The living story stuff was great up until you started following Traherne. Living story will be what makes the GW2 lore more interesting. Little birdy told me that the next update will be "memorable"...I feel like someone is going to die.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom