• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

jersoc

That's the interesting thing. I've often said that the bi-weekly update cycle is kinda like ANet's version of a "subscription" where they keep you playing and you kinda feel like you're obligated to play, BUT if you miss out it's just cosmetics so it's not like people gain an advantage over you.

well i love me some skins so yeah. but that's pretty much why they do this. w/o a sub fee they need to keep updates rolling for gem store.

which reminds me, i wonder if next week we'll see those school outfits since its close to that time of year.

Mxrz

I did CoF on my warrior lastnight. Wasn't too thrilled with how I played. I rarely use the warrior, but I still died way too much.

Retraited to 30/0/0/10/30. Made a berserker axe & mace, made six soldier ruins for my soldier set. Maybe that'll go better. Plan was to transition over to a berserker set eventually, but I don't play the character enough to get used to it. At least compared to the guardian where I just face tank everything.

Proven

Only just recently realized that the new runes aren't available for sPvP. No longer plan to use those runes for builds, as it ruins my 99% build parity between PvE/PvP/WvW rule. Am sad.

Remfin

That would have to run on top of the game, right?
If you mean the display, I was going to go with a companion website first; many more devices, much easier to do, less risky. You can always add more complicated things (like game overlay apps) once you have the infrastructure working well.

If you are asking if it has to run something, yes, but I intended to make it super simple and easy to verify and build for anyone. All the app does is read some Mumble data and send it to a server, so even non-programmers should be able to examine it and understand what it's doing.

th3dude

If you mean the display, I was going to go with a companion website first; many more devices, much easier to do, less risky. You can always add more complicated things (like game overlay apps) once you have the infrastructure working well.

If you are asking if it has to run something, yes, but I intended to make it super simple and easy to verify and build for anyone. All the app does is read some Mumble data and send it to a server, so even non-programmers should be able to examine it and understand what it's doing.

Nice idea. Been looking for a project myself.

So now that I finally finished 100% map completion, a legendary is my next long term goal. I like the incinerator, but for d/d ele, the daggers have to match. I really hope they add greatsword to the weapons ele's can use. It is already a conjured weapon, I'd much rather they add greatsword as a weapon and replace the conjured greatsword skill. Otherwise I guess it's time to finally start leveling my guardian.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

Yeah, I didn't mean the display, I mean an external app. Would be pretty cool.

Lunar15

Looking through the entries for that contest make me realize just how gorgeous this game is.

Anet did a stellar job with dyes. I think outfits could be made a bit easier to mix and match, especially for heavy armor, but people have managed to do some great stuff regardless. The overall tone and color palette of the game is so good. I'm in awe of so many people's screenshots.

This is probably my favorite entry, even though it's a little too boob centric. That being said, the actual combination of all those different sets along with the rapier as a weapon is brilliant

Lunar15

I was always under the impression that it was about the outfit, not the pictures you submitted. ;-;

It is about the outfit. But if you want people to look at the pictures, it's nice to have something eye catching. I took all my pictures in Wayfarer because the dyes I used are actually a reflection of the vistas there.

Unfortunately, I'm just not very creative with actual armor sets, which is my downfall. All I'm good for is dyes!

Wallach

Well, I hit 80 on my Necromancer around 11:30 PM, spent some time cobbling a set together to try the new gauntlet thing with him, and finished Liadri around 1:30 AM. I don't know if I'll bother with the 8 orb achievement, it's not exactly a forgiving fight on a Necromancer as it is. Definitely my favorite little mini-game thing they've added via one of these updates, though I wish it was a little more refined. The weird blinding effect and the floor's texture not being very good at displaying the AoE rings in particular were kind of shitty.

Well, I hit 80 on my Necromancer around 11:30 PM, spent some time cobbling a set together to try the new gauntlet thing with him, and finished Liadri around 1:30 AM. I don't know if I'll bother with the 8 orb achievement, it's not exactly a forgiving fight on a Necromancer as it is. Definitely my favorite little mini-game thing they've added via one of these updates, though I wish it was a little more refined. The weird blinding effect and the floor's texture not being very good at displaying the AoE rings in particular were kind of shitty.

Wow. You put some serious time in yesterday...you went from 60-80 and then went to also do the Gauntlet. That must have taken like 8 hours.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

Grats on beating the Gauntlet.
That is 30~ gold for a basic salvage kit! Maybe I'll wait for a discount.
Huh it's not a master's equivalent?

Retro

Characters that are one year old will receive a Mini Queen Jennah

Bleh. Was hoping for a toy or something cool, instead it's a mini of a character you barely deal with even as a Human, nevermind the four other races who couldn't give a damn. Oh well.

Copy that shit in here!
August 20, 2013
The celebration of Queen Jennah’s rule continues in Divinity’s Reach! All over Kryta, people are talking about The Queen’s Speech, which is rumored to contain a major surprise. What will the Queen reveal to her people and the world? Find out on August 20!

Events
Developer Livestream – August 19
Take an inside look at the features in the Queen’s Speech release with ArenaNet devs during the livestream on our Twitch channel on Tuesday, August 20 at 12PM PDT.

The Queen’s Speech – Begins August 20
Don’t miss history in the making as Queen Jennah wraps up her gala Jubilee with a momentous speech to her loyal subjects and visitors. Starting August 20, be sure to visit Divinity’s Reach and hear what the Queen has to say!

Guild Wars 2 Anniversary Bash
On August 31, we’re holding our first-ever Anniversary Bash and Guild Wars 2 Invitational Tournament! The event will be held in the Renaissance Hotel in Seattle, WA over PAX Prime weekend – if you’re in town, come and join the fun! We’ll be streaming the entire event for you to watch from home.
Learn more.

New Rewards
Birthday Gifts!
As characters created right at the launch of Guild Wars 2 hit their first birthdays, it’s time to introduce our first Birthday Gift! Characters that are one year old will receive a Mini Queen Jennah, a 24-hour Birthday Booster, and a Scroll of Experience.

New Features
World vs. World XP and Point adjustments
We’re making it easier to earn World XP points for playing normally in World vs. World by increasing the WXP rate across the board! As an added bonus, we’re adjusting World vs. World Ability Points so that your total points are equal to your current rank. New characters will start off with one ability point, and all existing characters will receive one more!

World vs. World Trebuchet Mastery
Become a master of destruction with the new Trebuchet Mastery ability line! Increase your efficiency with Trebuchets by upping your basic shot damage, increasing your Trebuchets’ hit radius, adding a new supply-draining effect to your basic shot, and learning a new Healing Oasis skill that provides healing to your teammates.

The End of Culling in PvE
On August 20, we’re turning off culling, which will remove the limit on the number of characters you can see on-screen at once. The cities of Tyria will now be even more vibrant and bustling than ever!

Enjoy!

Bleh. Was hoping for a toy or something cool, instead it's a mini of a character you barely deal with even as a Human, nevermind the four other races who couldn't give a damn. Oh well.

If this is all that is coming on the 20th...I guess a lot of stuff we heard has been pushed back or they just didn't include everything on this page and will announce stuff on separate blog posts.

If she announces that she is having a baby Logan...that is going to be quite boring.

Meh 1 year old characters.. why not 1 year old accounts >.>

Character age is how they've done it in the past. My guess is that it's more rewarding to the player without being able to be gamed. If they did a present per character by account age, people would just roll a bunch of extra's right before the account birthday. If they just did it one per account, it doesn't reward the people playing multiple characters for their dedication. It's a middle ground.

Developer Livestream – August 19
Take an inside look at the features in the Queen’s Speech release with ArenaNet devs during the livestream on our Twitch channel on Tuesday, August 20 at 12PM PDT.

I think this will be the first time that they do a livestream on the day of the update. Usually they do them on the Monday before the update.

I wonder if the speech is a one-time event?

What do you guys think the will announce?

Copper-Fed Salvage-o-Matic
The new Salvage-o-Matic has a 10% chance of salvaging rarer materials and a 20% chance of recovering upgrades. This chatty salvage kit consumes just three copper per salvage and is guaranteed to never break down.
Was this always part of the Queen's Jubilee update page or did they just add that today?

I think this will be the first time that they do a livestream on the day of the update. Usually they do them on the Monday before the update.

I wonder if the speech is a one-time event?

What do you guys think the will announce?

Whatever happens during the Queens Speech, be it something she reveals or something that interrupts her speech, it's supposed to be a major plot point helping to tie the past LS segments together. I'm sticking with my "The Queen was behind it all to unify all the former Krytan lands" theory.

Whatever happens during the Queens Speech, be it something she reveals or something that interrupts her speech, it's supposed to be a major plot point helping to tie the past LS segments together. I'm sticking with my "The Queen was behind it all to unify all the former Krytan lands" theory.

What Krytan lands did she have to Unify? How is setting Flame Legion and Dredge on Norn and Charr help her unify Krytan lands?

Lunar15

Whatever happens during this speech better be interesting, because otherwise it's a pretty mild update. Expectations in check.

That being said, finally ending PVE culling is nice.

The surprise is:
She's pregnant.

Shyamalan twist:
With a dragon

Retro

So, I had a fun morning. I woke up to my phone giving the EAS alert; a Tornado Warning (no visual indicator, just radar, so... yawn). We waited for it to expire and then headed out to drop the wife off at work. The rain was fairly heavy with a little ponding, but otherwise not too bad. Lots of lightning though. As we get closer, the traffic lights are out near her office, which as it turns out was also without power. So I drop her off just as a Flash Flood Warning is issued and the rain kicks into overdrive.

floodv5zun.jpg

These are not flood-prone areas, I've never seen them like this, so quite unusual. That middle shot is an 6-lane highway, completely under water. Lots of stalled cars, lots of people turning around with little warning. A few dicey moments myself just carefully driving through so as not to hose the battery, but nothing where I felt I was in any danger. Still, glad to be out of that mess.

If this is all that is coming on the 20th...

It's not. They've been talking about this update as pretty significant lately and I'm pretty sure Colin mentioned in Guild Chat that the update notes wouldn't be the full story (and that this was done on purpose);

Colin Johanson said:
We’re going to do a release on the 20th that is intended to be our big anniversary release celebration," he explained. "That release is intended not only to provide a lot of awesome content for people to experience, but to also set the tone for what they should expect for the living world and the types of things we want to do with events in the year to come.

"It takes the story of the last year and brings it all together. It makes it clear where everything has been going and really closes a lot of open questions that players have had. It’s a story that really affects the entire world and permanently creates content and change for the entire world game-wide, which is really something that’s important to us and we want to showcase that that’s where stuff is headed.

"I think we have some really ambitious plans for next year for what we want to do with the event system, and this kind of showcases a little step of where that can go." (source)

MMORPG is listing a few more details not on the Preview Page:
Infinite Watchknight Tonic: Players who complete the Queen’s Speech meta achievement will receive a tonic that allows them to transform into a Watchknight at any time.

Ten Days of Black Lion Sales: Each day for 10 consecutive days – starting Friday, Aug. 23, at 12:01 a.m. (PT) – players will be able to purchase items and weapon skins that had limited sales during the game’s first year from the Black Lion Trading Company.

Lunar15

My guess is that they've kind of heard the complaints about updates spoiling everything good before it happens.

That's also why they're doing the livestream on the day of: Showing off whatever this is would be a massive spoiler.

That being said, it can't have immediate permanaent changes because they would have to wait until enough people have actually seen the speech to enact changes, otherwise it'd be a huge spoiler.

Proven

The speech will probably be in an instance... But then the ramifications of whatever happened in that instance (other than a plot twist/dump) won't matter for two weeks when we then hit SEASON 2!

I doubt that they'll ever do a one time event again. I just wish they hadn't dedicated themselves to 2-week updates as this is the perfect thing to hold back a week and then only have it last through the last week of August.

So, all that said, I can believe that there's still something hidden. They got all the feature stuff out of the way early though, which makes me sad for no LFG.

Retro

The speech will probably be in an instance...

It is. From Guru;

The newest part of the Living Story sets up for Queen Jennah to address the nation with her yearly State-of-the-Nation speech where we will be taken into a new instance and undoubtedly see more Aetherblade shennanigans. There is quite an air of mystery surrounding this particular speech and who knows what we could see as the story unfolds? My guess? More spazzing out Watchknights.

We've known for a few days the Preview Page isn't telling the whole story.

I understand keeping living story stuff hidden but I thought there would be some more feature stuff that Colin talked about in the big blog post...maybe crafting pushed to 500...unless they want that to be a surprise as well. I feel like that page is going to grow as the week goes with more features that they will introduce in this update or it will stay the same and new features will come in September.

What Krytan lands did she have to Unify? How is setting Flame Legion and Dredge on Norn and Charr help her unify Krytan lands?

The Norn and Charr are occupying lands that used to belong to Kryta. Remember that LA used to be the capital and the lands stretched from Queensland through Ascalon. I detailed my theory earlier in the thread

Queens Sangre. She's been behind the plot for flame and frost driving people from their homelands in an attempt to weaken their defense so Kryta can expand further east all the way back to Ascalon again. She also has Kiel and her Mentor on her payroll and will use Kiels new found Captains Council seat to push legislation to make Lion's Arch swear fealty to Kryta once again.

The final last ditch effort is to kill the reps from various nations with her new found private robot army and march across Tyria to take it by force. The mesmer in the story event today is her true second in command and also her secret lover.

Retro

I understand keeping living story stuff hidden but I thought there would be some more feature stuff that Colin talked about in the big blog post...maybe crafting pushed to 500...unless they want that to be a surprise as well. I feel like that page is going to grow as the week goes with more features that they will introduce in this update or it will stay the same and new features will come in September.

I feel like Colin's quote in that IGN article ("permanently creates content and change for the entire world game-wide", "we want to showcase that that’s where stuff is headed") is hinting at something that probably wouldn't really work on a preview page. LIke, Something where people might read it and not immediately grasp the meaning of what's being said because it's technical or not really a 'punchy' item for a preview page.

I dunno, I feel like we're getting half the picture here. Maybe they're going to slip an extra update or something in, or gate the content so major events start next Tuesday but end a week later... /shrug.

Queen to reveal she is carrying Trehearn's lovechild. Once you go tree, you never want to leaf...

The Norn and Charr are occupying lands that used to belong to Kryta. Remember that LA used to be the capital and the lands stretched from Queensland through Ascalon. I detailed my theory earlier in the thread

The Charr have taken their lands back.
Norn did not take the lands from Kryta, the got moved down to lands that belonged to the Dwarfs, not humans.

She would be an idiot to try and start a war with other nations when there are these world destroying Dragons flying everywhere.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
The Charr have taken their lands back.
Norn did not take the lands from Kryta, the got moved down to lands that belonged to the Dwarfs, not humans.

She would be an idiot to try and start a war with other nations when there are these world destroying Dragons flying everywhere.

Oh. Are they still around?

I hope that during her speech a dragon comes in and kills her. The next series of the living stories can be related to finding the dragon, the person/group behind it, and then having a big ass world event where we all converge on that place to exact revenge.

That being said she's probably knocked up with the next king and we'll have to protect her from a few baddies for a few minutes.

Reknoc

aw yiss mini jennah. now give me a mini anise.

i guess i'll log onto my ele for the first time in a while (since i name changed her i guess)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom