• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.
So it changed. Because it used to be

5x Bottle of Elonian Wine (at Miyani's)
20x Arcane Crystal (reward for PvP)
20x Mystic Coin (reward for daily/monthly quests)
1x element of armor (from the set you want to craft)

And that would give you the recipe. I know because I looked into early on in the game and then discovered that it wasn't cost efficient to make. You can google it now and still find that MF formula all over the place.
Never mind. I could be wrong. I only did that once...I must have forgotten how I got the recipe. Might have just bought it off TP.

Ignore what I said because I cannot test it right now.

Jira

From reddit:

As someone who has datamined the story stuff extensively. Heh, they are telling you less than half of it. I'm grinning.

Another data miner here, and I can confirm as well that this is just a filler page with no information. There's a good reason they (and miners) keep their mouth shut about this update.

As someone else who has datamined the last patch I agree. This update is going to be less about new zones or activites or features and more about the STORY. Something a lot of us have been clamoring for. I would guess this involves more then one story instance to fight your way through.

The only spoiler/tease I will say is this: The Queen's Speech will be marked by disaster.

I'm telling you, Aetherblades are gonna kill Jennah.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Robert told me the same thing.

So you all know, Colin personally told me that there's a lot of stuff in the update that they intentionally kept off of the preview page as they're supposed to be a surprise.
Well sheesh if we're doing this Colin said this same thing to me so there!!! He seemed really excited. I remain stoic with tempered expectations.
From reddit:
Ooh let's post anything anywhere past this level with spoiler tags from now on. I don't want to know anything until I experience it in-game honestly.

Data miners are so crazy, it's like they have this roughhewn window into the future and can fill in the blanks while the rest of us are using our imaginations...

You may be right about what transpires Jira, but it does leave the question of what the surprise within her speech is.

I'm really hoping for something large in scale, if not necessarily at the level of Retro's last stand concept but something similar, just to set a precedent for how these things can go from now on.

Lunar15

I've been clamoring for flying guild halls, so clearly the queen's speech will end with, "and everyone gets a flying guild hall!"

My expectations are perfectly in check.

(also yeah, please if anyone finds data mined stuff, at least spoiler it. I'd really like to go into this update ignorant, given that they want to hold this one close to their chest)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
"Something a lot of us have been clamoring for"
"The Queen's Speech will be marked by disaster."

Dragon.
Colin said:
You won't see a new giant dragon this year
Would be a outrageous troll. I suppose I wouldn't put anything past them though.

It's awesome that whatever goes down, Braham and Rox'll be there to take part :)
Saw this on Reddit: Why did Logan Thackeray cross the road?

To run from the other side.
hahhaha I hope he dies.

Levyne

Banned
What if it's a little dragon.

Wait. I have misinterpreted.

"Something a lot of us have been clamoring for"
"The Queen's Speech will be marked by disaster."

The answer to this could also be "Logan Dies"

Proven

So they're going to have to tie in...

The Molten Alliance (they even made sure Rox and Braham are in the city!)
The Consortium and possibly Karka (we are starting Fractal research, after all)
The Aetherblades (everyone is already assuming Scarlet is involved)
The Watchknights (on the off chance that it isn't the fault of the Aetherblades)
and possibly Evon Gnashblade (he could use more screen time).

Does that sound about right?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Tiptoeing very very carefully around more of the posts from the data miners- and I think I'm done now, I feel like every other line is about to give something away- I did discover that, apparently, not even the data miners know what the conclusion to this release is. Seems like all of them know one or more major events that will occur but not the way these events are resolved.
So they're going to have to tie in...

The Molten Alliance (they even made sure Rox and Braham are in the city!)
The Consortium and possibly Karka (we are starting Fractal research, after all)
The Aetherblades (everyone is already assuming Scarlet is involved)
The Watchknights (on the off chance that it isn't the fault of the Aetherblades)
and possibly Evon Gnashblade (he could use more screen time).

Does that sound about right?
Theoretically even the Zephyrites might be tied in?

The Molten Alliance/refugee situation and the Consortium are sort of already linked by the contract business.

Proven

When I think about all the unanswered questions... (Also, please note that I skipped a lot of the Living Story instances and dungeons)

What are the Consortium going to do now? They've failed twice now at making any real money, and probably have investors to worry about.

Why did Mai Trin want the council seat so bad, if I assume what I heard is true and that she really is from a radical sect of the Aetherblades and acted on her own?

Why did the Aetherblades come back/stick around? If it's just because of Mai they'd be attacking Lion's Arch, not aiming for the Queen. I appreciate the loot, but the balloons never did anything bad.

Where did the Aetherblades even come from? Are they just a hodgepodge of nomads from around Tyria like the Zephyrites? The Zephyrites didn't even mention them...

The instigator of the Molten Alliance. They never went back to that.

Why did Evon show up at all? They could have used some other character for the Politics update. Why doesn't he have an office rendered in game like the Consortium? Have I just missed it?

and finally, I've saved the best for last...

How much do the Order of Whispers know?

(They really should have more of the Living Story being about the Pact responding to different threats around Tyria. The Aetherblade attack could have easily been a Vigil case, dealing with the Karka could have been handled by the Priory, and the issues surrounding the Jubilee would have been perfect for the Order. From there it'd be easy to have the player sign up for assignments with a group in command, and it would add more characters to the story rather than the handful we have right now.)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Why did Evon show up at all? They could have used some other character for the Politics update. Why doesn't he have an office rendered in game like the Consortium? Have I just missed it?
Evon's been standing up on the second floor of the Black Lion Trading Company in LA with his aide-de-camp, Sareb. There he looks down over his rapidly filling coffers.

Ploid 3.0

As a person that knows nothing about the story, I feel a bit sad that it's not new zones and stuff. I can't complain though, we got a new zone last time, and this sweatshop farming thing that never drops anything is pretty much a new zone too. I'll use the time to maybe camp the world dragons and hope I get money items.

Proven

As a person that knows nothing about the story, I feel a bit sad that it's not new zones and stuff. I can't complain though, we got a new zone last time, and this sweatshop farming thing that never drops anything is pretty much a new zone too. I'll use the time to maybe camp the world bosses and hope I get money items.

I'm still praying for a zone overhaul in like Queensdale or the Harathi Hinterlands.

jersoc

So you all know, Colin personally told me that there's a lot of stuff in the update that they intentionally kept off of the preview page as they're supposed to be a surprise.

oh thank god. i was wondering why this preview was so small.
end of culling in wvw is going to be great. finally time to try it out again!
hooray bday gifts! i knew keeping around those random chars i don't play would come in handy.
i assume we're gonna have another meta achievement too.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
oh thank god. i was wondering why this preview was so small.
end of culling in wvw is going to be great. finally time to try it out again!
hooray bday gifts! i knew keeping around those random chars i don't play would come in handy.
i assume we're gonna have another meta achievement too.
WvW hasn't had culling for months!

There's definitely another meta achivement, it was up on the companion sites- looks like the reward is an Infinite Watchknight Tonic, which I personally want sooo much more than minis. I like being things.

Katoki

There has always been a blue wxp bar at the top center of our screens for WvW. It's just not very noticeable and doesn't display much except that level's experience. I have nothing against more wxp going around though because it's such a pain to not be useful at anything that isn't an arrow cart for the first 50 or so ranks.

I am perfectly okay with not knowing what's up with the next patch until it happens.

I think the Copper-o-matic basic salvage kits are for when they make salvaging blues and greens more viable but to keep everyone from getting too much from it. That hasn't happened yet right?

Jira

There has always been a blue wxp bar at the top center of our screens for WvW. It's just not very noticeable and doesn't display much except that level's experience. I have nothing against more wxp going around though because it's such a pain to not be useful at anything that isn't an arrow cart for the first 50 or so ranks.

I am perfectly okay with not knowing what's up with the next patch until it happens. I think the Copper-o-matic basic salvage kits are for when they make salvaging blues and greens more viable but to keep everyone from getting too much from it. That hasn't happened yet right?

Nope not yet.

Jira

Here's my theory:

During the Queen's Speech the Aetherblades come in and assassinate Jennah. Then sometime during the day the Aetherblades attack DR and then take it over. They then spill out into Kryta and start taking towns/outposts. Just imagine if an entire enemy force comes in and takes a major city and the surrounding areas thus creating new events in the world.

Jira

The setting adjustments you can make currently will expand beyond just WvW, and simply be a game wide setting you apply for culling rules. For most folks, this means you can adjust the settings to actually improve your performance over current performance if you wish, since fallback models and name-tags are cheaper than full model renders.

If you do want to turn everything up to insane, you also now have that option to see an extremely large number of people in all their graphics glory. The choice is entirely yours!

Here's my theory:

During the Queen's Speech the Aetherblades come in and assassinate Jennah. Then sometime during the day the Aetherblades attack DR and then take it over. They then spill out into Kryta and start taking towns/outposts. Just imagine if an entire enemy force comes in and takes a major city and the surrounding areas thus creating new events in the world.

And smash up the starter experience for Human zones? hmm.. seems iffy.

Complistic

Here's my theory:

Then they'd have to change a bunch of personal story quests. Jennahs not going to die or lose her throne.

nataku

Then they'd have to change a bunch of personal story quests. Jennahs not going to die or lose her throne.

The personal story really screws them over with regards to what they can do with major characters. I really hope they fix that some time soon. It's the same thing holding them back from starting the restoration of Orr.

I'd rather we not reach a situation like in WoW where we're jumping back and forth in time as we travel to between expansion areas, so I hope they don't go the kill Jennah route. The timeline issues WoW created with each new expansion were extremely annoying.

Jira

And smash up the starter experience for Human zones? hmm.. seems iffy.

Don't have to smash it up, the enemies there will be on level so it's not like new players will be fighting level 80 mobs or something. I really don't want the Personal Story to hold them back as far as what hey can do considering the PS was crap. Doing interesting stuff with the current story/world is > the crap PS.

Don't have to smash it up, the enemies there will be on level so it's not like new players will be fighting level 80 mobs or something. I really don't want the Personal Story to hold them back as far as what hey can do considering the PS was crap. Doing interesting stuff with the current story/world is > the crap PS.

I don't think the PS holds them back but new players getting thrown into and Aetherblade event seems like it would be jarring.

How though? To them it's just part of the game and they wouldn't have the context to know that it wasn't there all along.

Because nothing in the prefix of the game (character creator) prepares them for it. It would also make DR completely unusable, which would make the starter area uneven when compared to other starter areas.

Jira

Because nothing in the prefix of the game (character creator) prepares them for it. It would also make DR completely unusable, which would make the starter area uneven when compared to other starter areas.

True, but I'm wondering how whatever this will be will create permanent content?

1-30 personal story ain't all that bad.

Then you get that POS defend/attack Claw island, POS Trahearne, POS Orr missions, POS Zhaitan fight, POS Trahearne.

Proven

1-30 personal story ain't all that bad.

Then you get that POS defend/attack Claw island, POS Trahearne, POS Orr missions, POS Zhaitan fight, POS Trahearne.

It's not bad at all. I often did the early parts on all my characters.

But there's 40-50 levels of not so good that just gotta go. Sorry early parts.

It can take place in other areas of Kryta but not DR or Queensland. Not unless it's an instanced version.

And this is exactly why I was hoping for it to be Harathi

If it had been an actual centaur and not Rox in the promo picture for the Jubilee, I'd be more excited.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
There has always been a blue wxp bar at the top center of our screens for WvW. It's just not very noticeable and doesn't display much except that level's experience.
What how have I never noticed this?? :O Thanks.

I don't think the PS holds them back but new players getting thrown into and Aetherblade event seems like it would be jarring.
Bwah, that's literally happening right now! There are Aetherblade attacks surrounding the balloon-related events in Plains of Ashford, Metrica, etc. New players will just have to ask what's going on, and that's exactly how it should work!

I hate the concept that anything that occurs simply can't conflict with anything that might be seen in the personal story. Hate hate hate hate hate. I would love it if we could just understand the Living Story to be taking place in the timeline right before the final PS mission (where I am :p). Then sometime, the LS would advance past the destruction of Zhaitan.

I know there are pros and cons here and it would require some explanation that new players going through the story would be seeing stuff that took place before "current" events. But that's way more worthwhile to me than the negatives on the other side: 1) the writers would be hamstrung to a story that is, by nature, completely fixed- while writing a narrative that is continuously evolving and even in some cases (the election being the first, simple example) influenced by player action en masse! And 2) it invites situations exactly like what we're experiencing now, where people are ruling stuff in and out based on what wouldn't conflict with the Personal Story, when the full scope of potential surprises should honestly be available.

Honestly, I have no clue what they'll do, but I fervently hope they just say screw it, and anything is on the table going forward, Personal Story conflicts be damned. It isn't strong enough to be so reverent to its structure as to limit the possibilities of the Living Story in my opinion.
It can take place in other areas of Kryta but not DR or Queensland. Not unless it's an instanced version.
Queensdale :p sorry, that's just been driving me nuts!

What how have I never noticed this?? :O Thanks.

Bwah, that's literally happening right now! There are Aetherblade attacks surrounding the balloon-related events in Plains of Ashford, Metrica, etc. New players will just have to ask what's going on, and that's exactly how it should work!

I hate the concept that anything that occurs simply can't conflict with anything that might be seen in the personal story. Hate hate hate hate hate. I would love it if we could just understand the Living Story to be taking place in the timeline right before the final PS mission (where I am :p). Then sometime. the LS would advance past the destruction of Zhaitan.

I know there are pros and cons here and it would require some explanation that new players going through the story would be seeing stuff that took place before "current" events. But that's way more worthwhile to be than the negatives on the other side: 1) the writers would be hamstrung to a story that is, by nature, completely fixed- while writing a narrative that is continuously evolving and even in some cases (the election being the first, simple example) influenced by player action en masse! And 2) it invites situations exactly like what we're experiencing now, where people are ruling stuff in and out based on what wouldn't conflict with the Personal Story, when the full scope of potential surprises should honestly be available.

Honestly, I have no clue what they'll do, but I fervently hope they just say screw it, and anything is on the table going forward, Personal Story conflicts be damned. It isn't strong enough to be so reverent to its structure as to limit the possibilities of the Living Story in my opinion.

Queensdale :p sorry, that's just been driving me nuts!

I wasn't talking about conflicting with the Personal Story but about conflicting with the world itself. In Jira's example DR was fully contested as was the surrounding area. That's not a PS conflict, that's a world conflict that screws with a starter experience making the Human starter zone lesser than the others.

And what's a "-dale" anyways? Queensland sounds so much better. ;p

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I wasn't talking about conflicting with the Personal Story but about conflicting with the world itself. In Jira's example DR was fully contested as was the surrounding area. That's not a PS conflict, that's a world conflict that screws with a starter experience making the Human starter zone lesser than the others.
I get what you mean now. Without instancing human starting characters wouldn't have access to their starting city.

It's a conundrum to be sure. I do hope they go big, though.
And what's a "-dale" anyways? Queensland sounds so much better. ;p
Hehe basically means "valley"

BrettWeir

I made almost all of my characters then (I believe my Guardian was a few days after and my Engi wasn't made until sometime in 2013), but I'm happy I'm getting a scroll for each of them. :)

In terms of class changes with that much of a gap you'd have a ton of reading to do... http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Category:Updates
edit: The June updates had the most substantial stuff class-wide: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Game_updates/June_2013 There is a new DOT condition called Torment.

At this point, probably better to just hop in and roll over the skill tooltips for your favorite class and play around to see how it feels. Welcome back

Thanks Hawkian.

What the hell are all the angel wing things people are wearing?

Wallach

The personal story sucks buttcakes so I don't know why it's a big deal if it affects it somehow. Besides, that personal story content is going to be around permanently, and at some point they have to be able to continue the story and move on.

Anyway, my honest guess isn't that she gets killed, it's that she's already dead and Anise has been acting on her last orders to maintain her illusion to help keep the humans from losing hope (particularly Logan, who probably would have went home to listen to Linkin Park). That's what the speech will actually be about. I bet that's why they used the image they did to advertise the Jennah mini, as it is a little bit of foreshadowing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom