• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

hythloday

I didn't have lunch so right now buttcakes sound kind of good. Dammit Wallach.

Queen Jennah is cool in my book so I hope she doesn't die but I'm highly suspicious of Countess Anise now. Which sucks because I liked her. Having her turn bad would have almost the same Personal Story implications as Jennah dying, though.

Taffer

The personal story sucks buttcakes so I don't know why it's a big deal if it affects it somehow. Besides, that personal story content is going to be around permanently, and at some point they have to be able to continue the story and move on.

Anyway, my honest guess isn't that she gets killed, it's that she's already dead and Anise has been acting on her last orders to maintain her illusion to help keep the humans from losing hope (particularly Logan, who probably would have went home to listen to Linkin Park). That's what the speech will actually be about. I bet that's why they used the image they did to advertise the Jennah mini, as it is a little bit of foreshadowing.

He could team up with Malchor's ghost and create a supergroup.

Retro

Anyway, my honest guess isn't that she gets killed, it's that she's already dead and Anise has been acting on her last orders to maintain her illusion to help keep the humans from losing hope (particularly Logan, who probably would have went home to listen to Linkin Park). That's what the speech will actually be about. I bet that's why they used the image they did to advertise the Jennah mini, as it is a little bit of foreshadowing.

deadfqa8i.jpg

Complistic

I don't want her to just die at the speech, because that'd be too obvious, but I do like this idea.

Wallach

http://abload.de/img/deadfqa8i.jpg

I actually didn't laugh at this image until I noticed you hurriedly edited his eyeballs, at which point I choked on my vape.

I don't want her to just die at the speech, because that'd be too obvious, but I do like this idea.

I think there's a good chance this is what will be revealed. That the Watchknights have a human female's base figure was probably done to foreshadow this a little as well. It's also why the intro scene at the Pavilion is so elaborate in showing what these things are capable of in the context of illusory magic.

As for how they came to be, and how that relates to the other Living Story stuff, I'm not sure yet. Idly guessing, maybe Anise's death was due to illness that they could see coming and couldn't find a way to stop. As things get more desperate, Jennah confides in Anise a plan like this to hide her inevitable death from the public; Anise in secret looks for ways that she might be able to pull off such a thing, and in that search the Watchknight technology comes to bear. This is the kind of thing that might involve the Consortium where Anise and her crew are shown in secret these new devices in an attempt to earn them a huge contract, and she has them custom-changed to what they appear now. Then there's the opportunity for the Aetherblades to catch wind of this plot and insert themselves into it by sabotaging the technology; possibly because they are the ones who fulfilled the Consortium contract.

Retro

I actually didn't laugh at this image until I noticed you hurriedly edited his eyeballs, at which point I choked on my vape.

My first instinct was to have it animated, with her float in from the bottom of frame and have him look over at her. But I'm lazy, so all you get are googly eyes.

Lunar15

No offense to anyone who has them, but the dragon wings are some straight up hokey looking armor pieces in a game that has had otherwise stellar offerings.

It just looks so gaudy and unfitting with the rest of the universe. Straight out of some F2P browser MMO or something.

Also, if we're still throwing out crazy theories, Jennah's been a branded minion of Kralkatorrik this whole time, but he's using her illusion powers so that people don't realize it. The Aetherblades are actually trying to stop her. They also attacked Lion's Arch because the council has been minions of Jormag the whole time! We then team up with the Aetherblades and fly over to the crystal desert to beat up kralkatorrik. Preceding this event is the introduction of the LFG tool, which Destiny's Edge uses to find you instead of Logan after he bails for a second time.

In the end, we'll finally learn why the Queen has no shoes.

Ashodin

No offense to anyone who has them, but the dragon wings are some straight up hokey looking armor pieces in a game that has had otherwise stellar offerings.

It just looks so gaudy and unfitting with the rest of the universe. Straight out of some F2P browser MMO or something.

hahahaha yep

Retro

I am not offended by this in the slightest. Rox's Quiver 4 life (on both my warrior and thief)... until they add capes.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I agree that the wings are pretty hokey. I really dig the shattered wings on my Ele and knew I had to have them, but because they look like they're made of ice. I just consider them an extension of his water magic affinity Iceman style.

Wallach has a sound theory about what might occur at the speech, I like it. Many questions would remain with all the narrative threads up til this point but that would be a nice twist. And set the stage for a bit of chaos as the royal line would, I believe, have been broken for considerable time.
He could team up with Malchor's ghost and create a supergroup.
DWAAAAYYYYYYNAAAAA INNNN MY SKINNNN
Rox Quiver indeed.
I have one stockpiled away, probably for my manly Norn ranger one day, but maybe other classes will get access to bows. Just hanging onto it for now.

Ashodin

I agree that the wings are pretty hokey. I really dig the shattered wings on my Ele and knew I had to have them, but because they look like they're made of ice. I just consider them an extension of his water magic affinity Iceman style.

Wallach has a sound theory about what might occur at the speech, I like it. Many questions would remain with all the narrative threads up til this point but that would be a nice twist. And set the stage for a bit of chaos as the royal line would, I believe, have been broken for considerable time.

DWAAAAYYYYYYNAAAAA INNNN MY SKINNNN

I have one stockpiled away, probably for my manly Norn ranger one day, but maybe other classes will get access to bows. Just hanging onto it for now.

What would it mean for the Charr? They have had a treaty with an illusion for years.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
What would it mean for the Charr? They have had a treaty with an illusion for years.
Guess it depends how long ago the real thing would've been replaced. Ostensibly it was the real deal helping them get the Claw of the Khan-Ur back, so the treaty would stand even if they might be even less likely to consider themselves allies with whoever took up the stewardship of Kryta.

jersoc

WvW hasn't had culling for months!

There's definitely another meta achivement, it was up on the companion sites- looks like the reward is an Infinite Watchknight Tonic, which I personally want sooo much more than minis. I like being things.

well they had that one option that made nameplates right?

Honestly, the worst culling imo is culling mobs. That should never, ever happen. There is no excuse to cull mobs. It's not as bad as the karka shit, but I've noticed it a few times in the queen's pav.

Ashodin

well they had that one option that made nameplates right?

Honestly, the worst culling imo is culling mobs. That should never, ever happen. There is no excuse to cull mobs. It's not as bad as the karka shit, but I've noticed it a few times in the queen's pav.

Next week it'll all be a thing of the past. No MMO I've ever played does so many QOL updates than this one, jesus.

imBask

Banned
dumb question : is there like a bonus or something for being in a group? I get why people want to group up in WvW (targeting I guess), but what's the point of grouping up in a frostgorge sound zerg?

dumb question : is there like a bonus or something for being in a group? I get why people want to group up in WvW (targeting I guess), but what's the point of grouping up in a frostgorge sound zerg?

You can get drops for what ever your team mates hit as well not just what you hit.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
HELL yes.

Simplest representation:

Loot credit for each mob = 10

If alone, you do 10, get credit, you do 9, get no credit

In a group of two, you do 5, someone else does 5, you both get credit
In a group of three, you do 1, somebody else does 2, the other does 7, all three get credit.

Not really related to what you're asking but it also earns influence for the guild if at least two party members are in the same guild. Always always always worth it to be in a party.

imBask

Banned
You can get drops for what ever your team mates hit as well not just what you hit.

HELL yes.

Simplest representation:

Loot credit for each mob = 10

If alone, you do 10, get credit, you do 9, get no credit

In a group of two, you do 5, someone else does 5, you both get credit
In a group of three, you do 1, somebody else does 2, the other does 7, all three get credit.

Not really related to what you're asking but it also earns influence for the guild if at least two party members are in the same guild. Always always always worth it to be in a party.

well thanks, LFG now

So there is one guild on SFR dedicated to reminding me that the worst thing about MMOs is the people you meet.

On numerous occasions I've run accross their commanders spamming map chat/whinging on TS about the builds other people have - the latest being while I was grinding in Orr on my guardian they were whinging about warrior signet builds being "selfish".

I thought the point if this game was that classes weren't pigeon-holed into specific roles, but hey, clearly I'm a moron.

I'm not sure how being a signet warrior is any more selfish than being a thief but anyway.

My warrior isn't even a "signet build". The attitude just really pisses me off.

Ashodin

So there is one guild on SFR dedicated to reminding me that the worst thing about MMOs is the people you meet.

On numerous occasions I've run accross their commanders spamming map chat/whinging on TS about the builds other people have - the latest being while I was grinding in Orr on my guardian they were whinging about warrior signet builds being "selfish".

I thought the point if this game was that classes weren't pigeon-holed into specific roles, but hey, clearly I'm a moron.

I'm not sure how being a signet warrior is any more selfish than being a thief but anyway.

My warrior isn't even a "signet build". The attitude just really pisses me off.

It's just a case of min-maxers trying to force build specificity on players. Guild Wars 2 actually discourages this, and promotes people playing whatever they want (outside of PVP, anyway).

It's just a case of min-maxers trying to force build specificity on players. Guild Wars 2 actually discourages this, and promotes people playing whatever they want (outside of PVP, anyway).

Indeed. The people in that guild are just dicks. It's one thing to have rules for your guild members, quite another to expect other people to follow them, least of all in open world PvE.

Right - venting over, am off to bed.

Levyne

Banned
You can still farm him /okay/. But it's a lot more stressful and seems to require being less rote. Before you could follow the same rotation and win every time. Oh well, made bank on it.

Warping seems random now to. Which mean success depends partially on luck, which makes it no longer much of a farm.

jersoc

yeah, the randomness isn't worth it. if you die you lose out on a lot of profit. considering it takes 20s to buy the tickets every shot.

Wallach

rip deadeye farm

he shot me with killshot w/o the first warp

He was doing that to me last night. I'm not sure that's ever changed. They did reduce reflect damage to 1%, though.

I did all the achievements except 8 orbs, which I don't know if I want to bother with on the Necro. Not a very class-neutral fight.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
If people need one, I will be asking in game to put a Guild Challenge together in about a half hour, per our regular schedule. I know we couldn't get one done Sunday, so just in case.
Dear Gaf

im lv 60ish by now, but i only have 6 gold coins.
am i doing it wrong?
My trait books bankrupted me each time i bought one. You're doing well.

pyros

finally managed to build my lvl 80 gear, why is the berserker great sword so ugly, it's called pearl sword or something, quickly transmuted it with a flame GS

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
finally managed to build my lvl 80 gear, why is the berserker great sword so ugly, it's called pearl sword or something, quickly transmuted it with a flame GS
What Flame GS...? You can get the COF weapons Berserker to begin with...

Ceres

Banned
They are incredibly prevalent though. Probably because they are the largest back pieces in the game I think.

Tentacles ftw.

The dragon wings will probably go to my mesmer once he's 80 and I figure out a build. And I've got both a char and quaggan backpack skins from Black Lion Chests. Undecided which one I want on my Char. Its too bad I got a soulbound guild backpack on my ranger as I'm not likely to use it.

Lunar15

So, maybe stupid question, but anyway to get keys to open black lion chests? I noticed a a couple of locked chests in my bank..

Through the gem store. You can convert gold to gems if you don't want to spend real money.

You can also get some as rewards for personal story quests, if I remember correctly.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Had a great time last night between our 9-man Shatterstrike Guild Challenge, the gauntlet, and a 3-dungeon-1-hour sequence that was so damn good I might make it into a near-daily thing.

I was stuck on the Pirate family gauntlet fight (tier 2's boss) for an enormous amount of time. I wasted 3 times as many tickets on that fight as it took to reach it. It's not that the mobs themselves are inordinately tough or insurmountable, but the fight completely disables stealth for Thieves! Intended or not, this throws a massive wrench into the capabilities of all of my specs. I only won because someone spectating who had the same problems with their Thief hooked me up with a winning strat I never would have considered- screw stealth and mobility, spec for toughness and vit, throw on Signet of Malice, and face-tank each mob one by one man-style. Worked like a charm. On the one hand I wish I'd thought of that in my trial and error, but in all honestly it just wouldn't ever have occurred to me. Felt great to beat it, and the bell tolls for Liadri this evening.

After success there I hit up COF1, SE1, and AC Story. I must say this was incredibly lucrative and awesome, considering I enjoyed running them before for substantially lesser reward. It's well under an hour for all three (I have no doubt that a dedicated team could speedrun all three in under 30 mins), for ~3 gold outright from the rewards (2.5 for the daily completion bonuses, plus 26s+26s+14s for the regular completion). On top of that, SE1 gets you six champion Deluxe Gear Boxes and AC Story gets you seven Gilded Strongboxes. It's a thing of beauty. In honor of this and the various other new or tweaked sources of gold that have emerged since this patch I am working on another "ways to earn gold" post describing some of the novel options.

Retro

So, maybe stupid question, but anyway to get keys to open black lion chests? I noticed a a couple of locked chests in my bank..

From the Wiki:
  • Gem Store
  • Personal storyline rewards at levels 10, 30 or 31, and 50
  • Black Lion Chest
  • Map completion reward
  • Daily achievement reward
  • Rare drop from any foes
Pretty sure they removed them from Black Lion Chests though, and replaced them with Ticket stubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom