• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levyne

Banned
I could easily see myself doing CoF1/2 AC 1/3 a few times a week for a steady income flow.

But I'll just keep 4-gambiting Deadeye while he's around.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Just so you guys know, lots and lots of stuff can be done prior to max level. Many guild missions and world events take place in lower level zones. The first dungeon is available at level 30. Our event tonight at 9:00PM is in a zone with I believe level 40-50 (which reminds me, we can get there from DR). You're also always upscaled to 80 for Living Story content like the Pavilion. I'd say take your time leveling (if it's your first character)!
I could easily see myself doing CoF1/2 AC 1/3 a few times a week for a steady income flow.

But I'll just keep 4-gambiting Deadeye while he's around.
SE1 in terms of length of path + # of champs is pretty stellar too.

Baskcm

Just so you guys know, lots and lots of stuff can be done prior to max level. Many guild missions and world events take place in lower level zones. The first dungeon is available at level 30. Our event tonight at 9:00PM is in a level zone with I believe level 40-50. You're also always upscaled to 80 for Living Story content like the Pavilion. I'd say take your time leveling (if it's your first character)!

SE1 in terms of length of path + # of champs is pretty stellar too.

ahhhhh right still getting to grips with it all lol

Retro

Thanks, gotta keep leveling then :p

Gonna be a long way till max level v_v

Like Hawkian said, Don't rush... if you really want keys but don't want to buy them, you could, theoretically, create a character and do their personal story to level 10, delete them, and repeat... I just wouldn't recommend it, as it would kind of kill the game for you.

Nothing in a BLChest has ever been worth it to me to do that sort of thing; if I want to open them up, I just buy some gems (or convert from gold) and buy some keys. That's what I did during the Bazaar, to get some tickets for Aetherized weapons. Ended up getting 4... spent a lot of gold on gems.

Ceres

Banned
The Pavillion right now will likely net a lot of XP if you're trying to level for the sake of hitting 80. 3-4 quick events with tons of Vets and Champs. Pop an XP buff if you have one and there's a lot of guilds dropping banners for buffs. However, just doing the regular story and doing events/maps between the story missions should help get your first character to lvl 80 quickly. My issue is with maxing all my alts. Finally finished my guardian last month and now slowly working on my mesmer. Since you get items relative to your character's level, I usually don't like doing things on my low levels as I want the better lvl 80 drops.

If you have Monday nights available, Stormbluff Invaders has been running a Monday Map Club for map completion. They will be doing Blazeridge Steppes next week. Useful if you want to get 100% map done. Or to open up areas/level alts. I've been going with my mesmer who's not lvl 80 yet. Usually net 2-3 lvls and with all the skill points, helps finish unlocking skills. Starts at 9pm EDT (6pm server). The two that I went to finished just before midnight EDT so be aware it can be a late night if you're east coast. There's a thread at http://stormbluffisle.com/

grego9198

I'd love to join in on one of these guild missions with you guys, but I'm not wholly familiar with their concept (apart from reading the GW2 wiki).

I'm also still leveling up my first character (lvl 41 engineer) so I'm not sure how much help I'd be.

Levyne

Banned
I would never want to map complete in that fashion , but for people that do, it's really cool that people host things like that.

As for Guild Missions, the limitation is more "Where are you able to go /have been" on the map and less "what level are you", though obviously that's correlated. At level 40 you should be able to go to a decent number of the Mission areas. None are in Orr so that's nice. It just depends on what we roll since it is random.

hythloday

I'd love to join in on one of these guild missions with you guys, but I'm not wholly familiar with their concept (apart from reading the GW2 wiki).

I'm also still leveling up my first character (lvl 41 engineer) so I'm not sure how much help I'd be.

Definitely join in! At 40 you might not have all the waypoints, but we usually have no issues waiting on someone who is running to us, and don't be scared to speak up and ask us to explain what's going on if you haven't done a particular event before.

I know we have a lot of returning and new players so if any of you are planning to do he guild event tonight, try and get Mumble it is so much fun having everyone talking about the game or anything during events.

Even if you don't have a mic or are shy to talk just join in and listen I know you will enjoy it.

See you all tonight for the genocide of the fields of ruin champions!

Jira

Holy shit, ANet are now giving out pocketwatches for the Queen's Speech to various sites.

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/news/1220-watch-out-for-scarlet-on-august-20th/

Just a few minutes ago, a mysterious man knocked on my door and handed me an envelope. This is what was inside:

Tick tock goes the clock

It's almost time for time to stop

Something you all must understand

Your world is built on fog and sand

You're out of time, your jig is done

It's time for Scarlet to have her fun

She has some hard lessons to teach

To the people of Divinity's Reach

So mark the date in permanent ink

The hour is later than you think

On the twentieth day she'll start her games

And warm her hands over Kryta's flames!

gallery_3318_163_95709.png

Jira

TL;DR of NCSoft's quarterly report:

GW2 made 28.9 Billion Won which is about 25.83 Million USD
Box sales weakened as expected
Gem store sales have remained consistent and stable
Overall both gem store and box sales remained strong
Chinese players have an increased interest and high expectation after playing GW2 at ChinaJoy.
Second Chinese closed beta starts in September

Interestingly there's another $10 million earned by ANet, probably from the Gem Store.

Hmm. Exciting. Something big is going to happen.

I still wonder if it will be an instance. Surely they wouldn't wreck the human home city for new players or people starting new characters.

meep!

Neo Member
It begins!

I still wonder if it will be an instance. Surely they wouldn't wreck the human home city for new players or people starting new characters.

I really hope this won't stop them from doing anything like that. You can't make a living world if you gonna limit yourself like that. Granted, if they do something like that some starting things would obviously have to be changed.

LkPr

I need a decent headset that's relatively cheap... and could possibly be used for my ps4 as well when it is released...

any suggestions?

pyros

What Flame GS...? You can get the COF weapons Berserker to begin with...

COF, had to look that up, I'm a mmo novice, GW2 is literally my first one.
I needed to have the GW2 wiki open on my other monitor just to understand the flow of conversation here in gaf and the guild forums. I levelled to 40 plus on my own and the rest by mastering, huntsman, armorer, weapon smith and jeweller, basically to make my own gear, for my lvl 80 character.

I created a box of Valkyrie Draconic Armour, an exotic berserker great sword and rifle with a Superior Sigil of Blood and Superior Sigil of Fire, and a mix of exotic knight and valkyrie jewels. I only used the flame great sword because I had it in my inventory and it looked so much better then the pearl one.

I apologise for my long winded reply, but I aim to join in more with GAF guild runs, as soon as I get a good mic and it's better to have a noob in hand then one in the pocket.

I love this game, my wife calls it an obsession, might be

Levyne

Banned
I need a decent headset that's relatively cheap... and could possibly be used for my ps4 as well when it is released...

any suggestions?

I grabbed the Turtle Beach Z 11 headset seems to work fine for the price I can't speak for the durability though since I've only had it afew days

Oh, work with PS4? Hmm...

nataku

Who knows.

I really want them to ditch the personal story, to be honest. Just completely delete it for new players and push them into the LS instead. Figure out a way to make it a little more personal with things like unique text dialog options based on character creation choices, but that should be what they use going forward. The personal story and living story can't exist at the same time, IMO. The PS is holding back what they're able to do with the LS without screwing up the timeline, or having a major city get attacked, overhauling zones like Orr, etc.

If they insist on keeping the PS they need to shift it over to just be the choose your order aspect of it. Keep things small scale with order missions, maybe some race specific missions, but don't have it flow into anything major like Elder Dragons. Any references to the dragons should be general references and not specific names. References to any particular mob or group in an area should also be avoided to give them the freedom to change those areas in the future. So instead of "We're looking for artifacts to help defeat Kralkatorrik" we'd get "We're looking for artifacts to help us fight the elder dragons."

The sooner they ditch the PS the better. I'm normally not a fan of disappearing content, but the PS wasn't very good and it just doesn't fit with what they want to do with the game going forward. They can still do things like elder dragon fights through the living story just fine, as long as they add the ability to replay major missions they add related to them. The Zhaitan fights and missions leading up to him should still be re-playable, though, as a story that gets retold through the Priory.

any suggestions?

Just a mic, or do you mind headphones as well? I've read great things about that Playstation Pulse Elite headset. It has a built in mic, and I can't image it wouldn't work with the PS4. They work with PC as well. Though that's over $125...

any suggestions?
I don't know specifics to siggest but if you also want to use it for PS4 you should get one that works over Bluetooth. Look up Bluetooth wireless headsets, not sure of they will work with PC if you don't have a Bluetooth dongle/card.

Maledict

I would agree. Both the personal story and the dungeon story modes are truly awful pieces of content that drag the rest of the game down. It's so obvious they weren't done by the same team that actually built the world.

I've never before seen such atrocious, painfully embarrassing Mary Sue characters. And the conceit of making your first experience in every dungeon boil down to 'nurse maid these awful, whiney characters from a book you haven't read or care about' is just mind boggling.

It's a shame because the world itself is great and the lore behind it fantastic, but Christ are the personal story and dungeon story modes shit.

Jira

I would agree. Both the personal story and the dungeon story modes are truly awful pieces of content that drag the rest of the game down. It's so obvious they weren't done by the same team that actually built the world.

I've never before seen such atrocious, painfully embarrassing Mary Sue characters. And the conceit of making your first experience in every dungeon boil down to 'nurse maid these awful, whiney characters from a book you haven't read or care about' is just mind boggling.

It's a shame because the world itself is great and the lore behind it fantastic, but Christ are the personal story and dungeon story modes shit.

That's because the world, lore, and dialogue in the world were all written by the actual writing team while the dungeons/PS were not.

Lunar15

It's weird too because there are parts of the personal story that are actually pretty interesting and written around your character. The third act just makes you a backseat spectator to other people's triumphs.

Retro

The one thing in GW2 where no controversy exists.

Yeah, I think everyone can agree the Personal Story is just flat out bad. Full stop. It has some nice moments very early on, when you're doing your early race-oriented stuff, but even there the presentation brings it down to just 'passable'. Some stories are fun (Charr Ash Legion, a lot of the Asura stuff), most are not. Even some of the Order missions are fun (Especially Whispers)... but as soon as Trahearne shows up, we're done.

They could cut the personal story out entirely and I'd be okay with this. It's not strong enough to stand as a 'fourth column' as SW:TOR tried, and it's really the only thing bringing down an otherwise stellar leveling experience. I'm not sure removing it is an option, but it should be.

Jira

Just learned something over on reddit. If you invite an offline friend to your party, the game thinks you're in a party and then allows you to call targets solo. Very cool.

grego9198

I know we have a lot of returning and new players so if any of you are planning to do he guild event tonight, try and get Mumble it is so much fun having everyone talking about the game or anything during events.

Even if you don't have a mic or are shy to talk just join in and listen I know you will enjoy it.

See you all tonight for the genocide of the fields of ruin champions!

Mumble installed! I was actually in channel on Sunday morning but there didn't seem to be anyone else on at the time.

The 9PM start time is EST correct?

Mumble installed! I was actually in channel on Sunday morning but there didn't seem to be anyone else on at the time.

Correct. Guild Events are typically discussed in EST, though I believe the Guild Roster front page has it broken down to multiple timezones for convenience.

Correct.

Cut the personal story and the dragons totally.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/the-queens-speech-all-new-content-begins-august-20/
Queen Jennah’s jubilee celebration continues in Divinity’s Reach! The skies are filled with hot air balloons conveying Tyrians to Her Majesty’s closing remarks.
What surprises and excitement await you among Queen Jennah’s most esteemed guests at her Crown Pavilion arena?
Learn more!
Whatever will happen might only effect the Pavillion or at least start at the Pavillion.

Ceres

Banned
I would never want to map complete in that fashion , but for people that do, it's really cool that people host things like that.

For the first character, it might not be as great. But they do a lot of events along the way and also check out some of the "secret" areas that aren't out in the open so its not just point a to point b all the time. And they usually do the jumping puzzle at the end which I haven't done most of. Since my alts don't go into much more than the beginner area and WvW, its a nice way to open up areas needed for dragons/champs etc while doing something with other people while also on TS. One of these days I won't have to jump on my ranger just to do a guild event :)

I've never before seen such atrocious, painfully embarrassing Mary Sue characters.

How dare you! Frostbite is the best!

Ceres

Banned
Frostbite is not in the Personal Story or Story dungeons. Everyone knows that Frostbite is the most nuanced and complex character in the game.

Rox's eyes have more soul to them then the whole of Personal Story. Only come second to the awesomeness of Frostbite.

And for some reason I originally read Maledict's post as Living Story not Personal Story. Oops.

pyros

sorry guys, 9 pm est event, where is the meeting point. I don't have a mic but would like to join in, thanks

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So the Aetherblades have left us a bit of a riddle.

Obviously with the sending of the watches in the first place, time is a big general theme here. "Out of time," "Almost time for time to stop..." It could be primarily or wholly metaphorical, but I can't help thinking back to the long-noticed similarities between the Watchknight design and the scrapped Chronomancer class:

Almost certainly a coincidence, but I guess everything's up in the air here.

"Your world is built on fog and sand"- as in the novel the House of Sand and Fog, these are traditionally meant to mean "illusion" and "instability" respectively. Hinting at some kind of underlying problem with the Queen's rule or Krytan society, outside of the Aetherblades just wanting to take it over? This is the line that puts Wallach's theory closest to a possible explanation.

Scarlet claiming responsibility gives us our first clear antagonist even if we still have little idea who she is. She clearly plans to toy with the people of Divinity's Reach-- "start her games" and "teach some hard lessons"- but I get the impression that her motives are deeper than just acting as an agent of chaos, despite the Joker vibe.

Jira

So I ran the numbers from the NCSoft quarterly report and GW2 is making roughly $5.2 million in box sales and $3.3 million in gem store revenue each month totaling $8.5 million.

sorry guys, 9 pm est event, where is the meeting point. I don't have a mic but would like to join in, thanks

It's in fields of ruin, I doubt there is a specific meeting point set up yet. People will just party up, someone will link a waypoint, and we'll start from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom