• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
It's in fields of ruin, I doubt there is a specific meeting point set up yet. People will just party up, someone will link a waypoint, and we'll start from there.
Actually, given the somewhat unique status of the settlement in that zone, and for the convenience of any joining us that might not yet have been there... let's start in Divinity's Reach. You can trust me.

We'll meet at the Crown Pavilion waypoint. Feel free to take a hot air balloon to spare yourself the expense.

Those air balloons need a confirm button. Idk how many times I've took them trying to get the chest not realizing it said travel. :-/

See everyone tonight!

Retro

Martin Kerstein said:
Hey all,

We just want to let you know that in preparation for the release on August 20th we will be stress testing culling (more specifically, the removal of culling), so we will turn culling off on random maps and at random times from now on up to the release. (source)

Yep. Gettin' ready to flip that switch.

hythloday

Canasta and Pinochle are famous bowlers from the Cayman islands. Canasta in particular is famous for his refusal to wear pants during the Cayman Bowlathon in 1978.

Katoki

Let me know how the stress testing is going on your guys' end if you guys run into it. I'm curious how different rigs react to having to process stuff with culling off and what not.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hey strafing was getting me killed against the Pirate gauntlet boss yesterday!

Sorry, what post is this Jira is making?
We better get the defense force ready for when Jira makes this post.
No need for that :p Let the hate flow, and simply be welcome and friendly to any who might be interested in joining the guild!

Jira

Hey strafing was getting me killed against the Pirate gauntlet boss yesterday!

Sorry, what post is this Jira is making?

No need for that :p Let the hate flow, and simply be welcome and friendly to any who might be interested in joining the guild!

Anniversary post.

I expect these groups of people to post:

People who play already
People who used to play and will come back after seeing my post
People who don't have the game and are now going to buy it
People who are haters cause their MMO doesn't get updates every two weeks

Jira

Uh. Okay. You get negative feedback on it or something?

Batman pointed out how my initial post might have been interpreted in the wrong way and so we're doing something completely different which will require a lot more work but the end result will be MUCH better.

Retro

Crack that whip Retro!

Bleh, I feel bad for wrecking Jira's hard work at the last second, but we discussed it and we think it would be much better received if we organized the information in a different way. Also, GAF Mods can be a little touch-and-go, and moderation isn't by committee; if a mod feels like we're just posting a giant info dump, they can lock the thread down for not really starting a discussion.

Katoki

This will prove entertaining at work. Looking forward to the people we may bring back to up our member count again... but it's around where classes/school is starting up again though.

Lunar15

Why so early on the anniversary post? Why not during it, given that we'll probably have some neat announcements or such?

Do other MMO's have anniversary posts? I feel like making a big post on the gaming side incites the same feelings that we're just one big PR thread.

Why so early on the anniversary post? Why during it, given that we'll probably have some neat announcements or such?

Do other MMO's have anniversary posts? I feel like making a big post on the gaming side incites the same feelings that we're just one big PR thread.
We are not a big PR thread. Jira and Retro are unofficial PR reps for ANET.

Rest of us will just post in th thread saying "it's alright".

Totally joking. They are not PR they just love this game.

Why so early on the anniversary post? Why not during it, given that we'll probably have some neat announcements or such?

Other MMO's typically have threads when there's a major change or shift. For WoW.. being as large as it is, it's only for expansions. Less popular MMO's get it on major patch revisions.

GW2 getting one for the Anniversary should be fine given how different the game is now. One couldn't be made on major change patches otherwise there would be too many and the Anniversary is a pretty big deal within both Guild Wars games so it fits.

Jira

There's no more announcements coming. I talked to Colin and he said all the info we're getting is on the preview page. As Jest said, GW2 is unique in that it updates every two weeks and won't be doing boxed expansions so a once a year dump is preferable.

There's no more announcements coming. I talked to Colin and he said all the info we're getting is on the preview page. As Jest said, GW2 is unique in that it updates every two weeks and won't be doing boxed expansions so a once a year dump is preferable.

Still aiming to post it tonight or just whenever it is ready?

Retro

Lots of games have Anniversary posts; this was one of the reasons we wanted to do one. Any little news item that bubbles up deserves it's own thread, that's sort of the GAF policy, because Mega-Threads were becoming insular (and kind of creepy) and news was being lost amongst the hundreds of discussion-oriented posts. That's why you see mods splitting threads all the time for new news.

In terms of GW2, this next update is set to be a big one; there's supposedly a blog post going up for it, and they're 'setting the stage' for the next year. It's also a good time to take stock of the game; where it's been and where it's going and why it's a game worth paying attention to a year out. Very few MMOs maintain the level of population that GW2 has (in fact, only three have managed to stride gracefully out of the launch rush: WoW and EVE being the other two) and none are updating as frequently.

Those are all news worthy and worth talking about.

We are not a big PR thread. Jira and Retro are unofficial PR reps for ANET.

Man, don't even joke about that, people have gotten their GAF accounts killed off for that sort of thing and I happen to like my GAF account.

It might not be a horrible idea to post it Mondayish, closer to right before the madness begins?

I believe the reason for pushing it a little early (though still within the permitted window) is that we didn't want ArenaNet to push some news out and have some random person create a thread for that.

Lunar15

Question: Have we seen any Aetherblade enemies that are sylvari?

Also, all hail Queen Jennah, the queen who waited until after Logan had to leave the most important battle of his life and countless people (including Logan's brother) died to use her illusion magic to confuse the branded.

Question: Have we seen any Aetherblade enemies that are sylvari?

Also, all hail Queen Jennah, the queen who waited until after Logan had to leave the most important battle of his life and countless people (including Logan's brother) died to use her illusion magic to confuse the branded.

Sylvari don't seem to have a middle ground or very many factions. They're pretty much either good and allied with the players or bad and are in the Nightmare faction.

Edit: Suspecious Figure doesn't look very Sylvari to me.. but I could be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom