• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.
She wrecked me as well. Tbh only the bosses have been hard so far with exception to Subject 7. But I'm not a Zerker build so I figure that played a part in it causing me as much difficulty as it did.

The first fight took me 4 tries, the timing of the one attack threw me off. I dodged too early. Avoid that, get behind him and it was easy. The quaggan fight was easy, beat that one first try. I'll just need to tweak my build some to get more stability it seems for 3rd fight.

jersoc

I "get" the fight and I still can't beat it man. So I genuinely wish you luck because that chick is a pain in the ass.

word. its very frustrating because the camera goes crazy and i cant see the red shit in phase 2. yes, i know its a pattern, but that doesnt help at all. i will try again. phase 1 is pretty easy. still a bit luck i think.

edit: I think most of the fights are pretty well done. Chomper and liadri seem very luck base to me. Chomper because sometimes the S dude will throw the meat right at him and you can't get to it in time. Plus you cant see the fuckign meat for shit. Liadri, maybe less luck base. but if you can get the portals right and you do phase 1 in no time leaving much more time in phase 2 to play it a bit more safe.

word. its very frustrating because the camera goes crazy and i cant see the red shit in phase 2. yes, i know its a pattern, but that doesnt help at all. i will try again. phase 1 is pretty easy. still a bit luck i think.

There's a lot of RNG in the first phase. My biggest issue in the second is targeting while moving in that damn bubble arena.

Wallach

Got the 8 orb achievement tonight on my Necro. What a pain in my ass. Had to slot Energy sigils because it's just such a ridiculous task on a class that has no vigor, no movement powers (that will work in this fight anyway), no blocks and no invulnerability. I may or may not have thrown 9 orbs at her because the last pool spawned 2 orbs and I wasn't sure whether I was at 6 or 7 already. Still took me like 30 tickets after that to get it done, so around 45 total just on that achievement.

Katoki

The windcaller one was tough with my elementalist the first time I started doing the gauntlet. I went back and did it just earlier with the fire gambit for the achievement and mopped the floor with her using dagger/pistol but my thief is and has always been full berserker.

I got a Trebuchet blueprint, would it be of any use to the guild

If you don't plan on ever using it, toss it in the guild bank somewhere and Hawkian or Ash can make use of it in the future.

Jindrax

I posted this in a different thread but I thought it would fit better here...

Ok please enlighten me GAF

I got this game at launch... I have over 4000 hours on GW1.
I played "till lvl 80. I absolutely hated EVERYTHING about gw2.

Can I just make a list of stuff and can one of the GW2 Gaffers tell me if it's been fixed.
If it is I can totally see myself getting back into it.
BTDUBS I stopped last september so if I seem ignorant it's because of that.
ok

1) END game there was nothing to do. You had those dungeons to grind to get armor... And that was it.
2) Guilds had no purpose, NO GUILD HALLS!!!!
3) world v world was a mess, no skill just like a bunch of dudes doing random crap on a large scale...
4) PvP was crap, no HA no GVG no TA no RA just this weird pvp system thing in the myst.
5) this bugged me a lot... Auction house was broken after legit 5 days. Everything in there was being sold at merchant price... In WoW even like lvl 25 items are sold for a actual good profit... in GW2 everything was being sold at 1 copper more than the merchant.
6) the game was a bit crappy optimized I had super hard fps drops
7)you lvled so fast that buying armor and weapons was useless... I bought that tear1 faction armor for my charr... after an hour I was dropping stuff worth 70 copper that had better stats...
8) the epic focus on builds that made gw1 unique and awesome has comepletely vanished...
9) big empty world... felt like gw1 after the released all the expantion packs... a lot of empty outposts.
10) this is the one that hurt the most...
Guild Wars1 had like atleast 150 skills per class... and you could combine 2. So 300 per character or something. I might be exaggerating but it was a lot.
Guild Wars 2... Has about 25 skills... This killed it for me hardcore... No more hours of thinking and calculating for a ultimate 8 skillbar of glory... Ok it's true if you switch weapons you have a bit more... but still WTF... I was so disappointed that they did that.
Ok now can anyone tell me if they fixed those 10 points?

From someone who put about 750 hours into GW1, and ~300 in GW2.

1) END game there was nothing to do. You had those dungeons to grind to get armor... And that was it.

The end game is what you make of it. Originally it was basically "farm Orr." Now you've got Fractals, but the big push is the new Living Story updates. You're getting new content to work on every 2 weeks. I wouldn't call it an "End Game" because it isn't ending. You're always getting new stuff to work on.

There are still no Guild Halls if that's all you care about. Guild have plenty of purpose, though--aside from the community, you get buffs and missions to run (and you get rewards to buy some cool items from those missions.)

3) world v world was a mess, no skill just like a bunch of dudes doing random crap on a large scale...

It's pretty organized now. Our server is no longer in the top tier, so I have a lot more fun jumping in to do it. Small groups can play a role hitting camps and ambushing players, while larger groups taking the main points. It's a lot of fun, a great way to level, and would be my main timesink if it wasn't for the new content they keep throwing into the game.

4) PvP was crap, no HA no GVG no TA no RA just this weird pvp system thing in the myst.

They've been working on it, but I've never gotten into it. It is not near GW1's level. I think a lot of the original PVP crowd has left, but they are working on improving it.

5) this bugged me a lot... Auction house was broken after legit 5 days. Everything in there was being sold at merchant price... In WoW even like lvl 25 items are sold for a actual good profit... in GW2 everything was being sold at 1 copper more than the merchant.

It's pretty much always up and people can make pretty large profits off of it. Your regular gear (blues/greens) should just be vendored because they're so common, but there's a relatively healthy economy at work now.

Other than a brief period after the last patch (about a day) I've had no issues with the game in a long time. They've done a really good job here.

7)you lvled so fast that buying armor and weapons was useless... I bought that tear1 faction armor for my charr... after an hour I was dropping stuff worth 70 copper that had better stats...

That T1 faction armor is just cosmetic anyway. It's not worth buying weapons and armor if you're getting regular drops 'til you get closer to 80. If you're worried about the patchwork look this process provides, you can use transmutation stones! I like not having to buy stuff, though (Which they ended up effectively doing in GW1 after Prophecies, since you hit 20 so fast in the other expansions and then you'd just get the max armor.)

8) the epic focus on builds that made gw1 unique and awesome has comepletely vanished...

It's not the same thing, but they're still important and being tweaked all the time. You can swap things out on the fly instead of having to fall back to an outpost to change skills now. But, no, you won't spend hours perfecting a specific build to farm a particular area. I don't see that coming back.

9) big empty world... felt like gw1 after the released all the expantion packs... a lot of empty outposts.

There's zones that have lower population, but the recent champion fix has people roaming around a lot more. I can't compare this to GW1 where you played in an instance all the time so you never randomly ran into people outside of outposts.

Guild Wars1 had like atleast 150 skills per class... and you could combine 2. So 300 per character or something. I might be exaggerating but it was a lot.
Guild Wars 2... Has about 25 skills... This killed it for me hardcore... No more hours of thinking and calculating for a ultimate 8 skillbar of glory... Ok it's true if you switch weapons you have a bit more... but still WTF... I was so disappointed that they did that.

Sure, there were a lot of individual skills. Weapons are the big focus in the new game, since you've got 5 skills per weapon set (and since you can switch back and forth that covers 10 skills for you.) And they're working on adding more weapons, skills, and traits to each class (they've said there'll be new stuff out before the end of this year.)

At the core of it, i t sounds like you want to play Guild Wars 1 again. You'll continue to be disappointed if that's all you want, and if that's your focus you will never enjoy this game.

That said, I think they've addressed a lot of your concerns and are continuing to. There's nothing to hold you back from logging back in and giving it a shot. Join up with GAFGuild! It's a lot of fun.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Got the 8 orb achievement tonight on my Necro. What a pain in my ass. Had to slot Energy sigils because it's just such a ridiculous task on a class that has no vigor, no movement powers (that will work in this fight anyway), no blocks and no invulnerability. I may or may not have thrown 9 orbs at her because the last pool spawned 2 orbs and I wasn't sure whether I was at 6 or 7 already. Still took me like 30 tickets after that to get it done, so around 45 total just on that achievement.
Wow, congrats man. Still getting her down.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
2 hours in the Queen's Gauntlet, still haven't beaten the lady of darkness.

Frustrated, I decide to spend my last 6 tickets to do Dead-Eye with my Guardian, with 5 debuffs. I teleport into someone else's match, on a mine.

Jindrax

The end game is what you make of it. Originally it was basically "farm Orr." Now you've got Fractals, but the big push is the new Living Story updates. You're getting new content to work on every 2 weeks. I wouldn't call it an "End Game" because it isn't ending. You're always getting new stuff to work on.

There are still no Guild Halls if that's all you care about. Guild have plenty of purpose, though--aside from the community, you get buffs and missions to run (and you get rewards to buy some cool items from those missions.)

It's pretty organized now. Our server is no longer in the top tier, so I have a lot more fun jumping in to do it. Small groups can play a role hitting camps and ambushing players, while larger groups taking the main points. It's a lot of fun, a great way to level, and would be my main timesink if it wasn't for the new content they keep throwing into the game.

They've been working on it, but I've never gotten into it. It is not near GW1's level. I think a lot of the original PVP crowd has left, but they are working on improving it.

It's pretty much always up and people can make pretty large profits off of it. Your regular gear (blues/greens) should just be vendored because they're so common, but there's a relatively healthy economy at work now.

Other than a brief period after the last patch (about a day) I've had no issues with the game in a long time. They've done a really good job here.

That T1 faction armor is just cosmetic anyway. It's not worth buying weapons and armor if you're getting regular drops 'til you get closer to 80. If you're worried about the patchwork look this process provides, you can use transmutation stones! I like not having to buy stuff, though (Which they ended up effectively doing in GW1 after Prophecies, since you hit 20 so fast in the other expansions and then you'd just get the max armor.)

It's not the same thing, but they're still important and being tweaked all the time. You can swap things out on the fly instead of having to fall back to an outpost to change skills now. But, no, you won't spend hours perfecting a specific build to farm a particular area. I don't see that coming back.

There's zones that have lower population, but the recent champion fix has people roaming around a lot more. I can't compare this to GW1 where you played in an instance all the time so you never randomly ran into people outside of outposts.

Sure, there were a lot of individual skills. Weapons are the big focus in the new game, since you've got 5 skills per weapon set (and since you can switch back and forth that covers 10 skills for you.) And they're working on adding more weapons, skills, and traits to each class (they've said there'll be new stuff out before the end of this year.)

At the core of it, i t sounds like you want to play Guild Wars 1 again. You'll continue to be disappointed if that's all you want, and if that's your focus you will never enjoy this game.

That said, I think they've addressed a lot of your concerns and are continuing to. There's nothing to hold you back from logging back in and giving it a shot. Join up with GAFGuild! It's a lot of fun.

thanks for the feedback bro, it was exactly what I was looking for. I don't have the game installed atm (exams), but my account is Jindrax.9680 I don't know if you can add that just like that but I'd love to give the game another try with GAF.

Luigi87

Doing some gauntlet (I still have yet to beat Liadri...), I saw someone glitch behind a person farming Dunwell, and the person was pitted against both Dunwell and Liadri at once.

Suffice to say that was a quick loss, lol

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
thanks for the feedback bro, it was exactly what I was looking for. I don't have the game installed atm (exams), but my account is Jindrax.9680 I don't know if you can add that just like that but I'd love to give the game another try with GAF.
You're more than welcome to join up and run with us as long as you like :) Somebody will add you from your account.
Doing some gauntlet (I still have yet to beat Liadri...), I saw someone glitch behind a person farming Dunwell, and the person was pitted against both Dunwell and Liadri at once.

Suffice to say that was a quick loss, lol
This happened to me! I was the one trying Liadri.

I wasn't even that mad because it was so hilariously chaotic and fast in there. But in only cost me one ticket.

Lunar15

I think people who complain about the meager number of skills are forgetting about the Trait system.

I don't know if there was something similar in GW1, but I feel like the Trait trees are what give you your true build differences, not skills. The level of customization is still there. That being said, I don't think new skills would hurt.

Dec

I think people who complain about the meager number of skills are forgetting about the Trait system.

I don't know if there was something similar in GW2, but I feel like the Trait trees are what give you your true build differences, not skills. The level of customization is still there. That being said, I don't think new skills would hurt.

Seems to me that he isn't saying customization isn't there, just that it's a step back from GW1.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

I don't know if there was something similar in GW2, but I feel like the Trait trees are what give you your true build differences, not skills. The level of customization is still there. That being said, I don't think new skills would hurt.
There was nothing like traits, but GW1 had dual-classing so the classes didn't have such tight identities. You got three more or less traditional stat lines from each class, plus one stat line unique to your primary class that typically had some innate bonus.

But I too feel like traits and maybe even moreso the variety of rune sets available add up to a lot more flexibility than people give credit for when theorycrafting. Still curious how runes are going to function re: Ascended armor.
Seems to me that he isn't saying customization isn't there, just that it's a step back from GW1.
Yeah... I mean there can be no doubt, the total amount of possible builds in Guild Wars 1 was ridiculous, just astronomical.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
We got news: https://register.guildwars2.com/trial

We got GW2 free trial coming up. Starts 12:01 AM PDT on August 23, 2013 and ends at 11:59 PM PDT on August 25, 2013.

ooh.
"Guild Wars 2 is the fastest
selling MMORPG in history"**

**Based on initial nine months unit sales (physical plus digital), against PC pay to play games, including North America, Australia and Europe. Source- DFC Intelligence.
hmm dat longevity...

This was true in January (basically 4 months in, it was the fastest by a massive margin) but this means it was still the case as recently as May. I'm sooo curious as to what the sales foundation will be by the time they launch in asia...

edit:

Accompanying press release. Man they are so stubbornly clinging to the 3 million number. It was three million in 5 months, of course it's more than 3 million in 9! :p
ArenaNet™, developer of the acclaimed Guild Wars franchise, and DFC Intelligence, a strategic market research and consulting firm focused on interactive entertainment, today announced that Guild Wars 2 ranks as the all-time fastest selling Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game (MMORPG) in North America and Europe, with territorial sales topping more than 3 million in the first nine months of availability.

“After triangulating against multiple data sources, it’s clear that Guild Wars 2 is the fastest-selling Western MMO of all time based on the first nine months of availability”, said analyst David Cole of DFC Intelligence. “This puts Guild Wars 2 in an impressive position when they release in China, where we’ve seen similar franchises really take off”.

Guild Wars 2 is expected to experience rapid growth once it releases in China, where the player-base has the potential to exceed that of the West. To bring Guild Wars 2 to China, ArenaNet has partnered with KongZhong Corporation, a leading Chinese provider of digital entertainment services.

The sales press release is really awesome but the number hasn't changed since January which I find really strange. I thought maybe they would hit 4 million by now. ANy chance the numbers they used are old?

Got bored, and decided to grind out huntsmen from lv 160 to 400 on my lv 28 Engineer, and finish out Artificing on my Elementalist, getting form 260-400.

Popped a crafting booster and gained levels to lv 37 on the engineer, spending about 3 golg on mats, and another 2 gold or so to finish out art.

As a result, finally got my master crafter title! Probably going to hold off crafting any oranges till the 500 increase, to allow me to get some XP out of the deal toward that.

Now to decide if I should farm crown on the 80 for gold/loot, or pop some xp boosters and take the engineer there, and get myself to 50 or 60 by tuesday? I'm edging toward the 80, as I could really use the money, as well as yellows for ether cash or precursor chances.

Completely forgot about the Sylvari opening boss. Oops!

The odd thing about that was it hints at the Jungle Dragon, but then, save for a few passing references, the game has really yet to deal with it.

I'm thinking its being held back for an expansion, p[perhaps dealing with the ah, Slyvari spoilers:
Second pale tree and sylvari race from the personal story

Honestly, I think we'll see more crystal dragon stuff first, or a trip to the far shiverpeaks to take on Jormag.

Lunar15

The odd thing about that was it hints at the Jungle Dragon, but then, save for a few passing references, the game has really yet to deal with it.

I'm thinking its being held back for an expansion, p[perhaps dealing with the ah, Slyvari spoilers:
Second pale tree and sylvari race from the personal story

Honestly, I think we'll see more crystal dragon stuff first, or a trip to the far shiverpeaks to take on Jormag.

It honestly feels like we're moving towards Kralkatorrik, if we're moving towards any dragons at all.

That being said, I always got the impression that, of the dragons that are currently active, Jormag was the toughest. That was Destiny's Edge's reasoning at least. Primordus is probably the baddest of the bad though.

can't wait for the reset tonight, i'm in blackgate and we got blown the fuck out this week lol

We had the usual SFR vs Vizunah thing of "we fight really hard and are winning until Thursday when it all goes horribly wrong".

I was incredibly disappointed to look this morning and see that viz were suddenly 10K ahead and ticking for >400.

*sigh*

There's always the next match-up!

I think my next target may be getting a rapier and aetherblade pistol for my mesmer. She's dual swords/GS atm so not sure how well that'll work.

Lunar15

I dunno, game's not for everyone. The game is actually weirdly flawed in a lot of weird places and a lot of its concepts clash with each other. But it's also doing a lot of stuff I haven't seen before. I think GAFGuild is what keeps me around though. That, and I'm actually kind of curious about the whole living story idea and I want to see what kind of potential it lives up to, if it does at all.

Levyne

Banned
I have about 3000 hours in 1 and 2600-2700 in 2. I prefer the second way more. I think it's mostly because of GAF guild.

Oddly, out of that list, the thing I miss LEAST is the shear number of skills. Most of them were useless in most situations.

Jira

I think a good bunch of them are like the hardcore WoW player that can't make the switch to anything else "because it's not WoW"

It's funny cause those people are so sick of playing WoW but when a game comes along that isn't like WoW at all they bitch that it isn't WoW. It's funny that Wildstar isn't receiving much attention considering it pretty much is a redo of Vanilla style hardcore mechanics mixed with more modern combat and skill systems with an art team of ex-WoW devs. Seems to be the very thing those people are looking for yet they don't realize it exists. Either that or the hardcore market is insanely tiny (contrary to what the hardcore would want you to believe). I had run the numbers back when WoW was at it's height and based on Blizzard's official numbers, less than 1% of the entire 12 million playerbase did the hardcore heroic raiding and ~7% did normal raiding.

nataku

Something to be revealed or announced at PAX

Colin Johanson said:
We won’t have a major presence at Gamescom this year no, though a number of senior staff will be flying out to attend the community party that weekend at Gamescom to meet everyone and share a few beers. Make sure to stop by if you’re there for the show!

Somewhat related, if you’re even thinking of being in the Seattle are this year during PAX: you absolutely will not want to miss our ArenaNet PAX event. Not only will it include our PvP championship live on stage, we’ll have some other reveals you’re not going to want to miss…stay tuned! (and no the reveal is not an expansion!)

PAX is August 30th - September 2nd, so not too far away.

Which I think is incredibly fair. From what I know about GW1 PvP, GW2 PvP is entirely different. It's a whole new game.

I prefer GW2 PvP because it has a lot more to do with movement and actually watching the animations of your opponent, rather than just watching when bars activate to try and interrupt them or heal so that you can mitigate the spikes.

I do agree with everyone that Guild Halls should be in game and hope they start working on them soon. I also hope they tie it into living story somehow.

Any lucky person going to PAX this year?
We won’t have a major presence at Gamescom this year no, though a number of senior staff will be flying out to attend the community party that weekend at Gamescom to meet everyone and share a few beers. Make sure to stop by if you’re there for the show!
Somewhat related, if you’re even thinking of being in the Seattle are this year during PAX: you absolutely will not want to miss our ArenaNet PAX event. Not only will it include our PvP championship live on stage, we’ll have some other reveals you’re not going to want to miss…stay tuned! (and no the reveal is not an expansion!)
https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/Gamescom-2013-2/first#post2640300

Beaten by Nataku because he doesn't like me.
Your name remind me of http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Ntouka_Bird

MMO noob question incoming...

What exactly are guild halls and what would they add to the game? Just an actual place in the game where we could all congregate?

Trey

MMO noob question incoming...

What exactly are guild halls and what would they add to the game? Just an actual place in the game where we could all congregate?

Yes. Their main use in GW1 was to have a place where everything was situated (banker, armorer, etc) so it was convenient to build it up.

Levyne

Banned
Yes, basically. In Guild Wars 1 you could outfit a hall with all of the merchant types and warp there from anywhere so it was a nice little area to do merching and banking and such. You'd also launch GvG from there and the guild based faction stuff (Luxon or Kurzick). Just a nice place to either meet for guild stuff, or just shoot the breeze or afk in one to many times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom