• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rokam

So are there any restrictions to the Free Trial? Couldn't find any, but wasn't sure they're hidden away somewhere. Anyways downloading now, looking forward to next weekend.

swnny

I think the only restriction is the time frame - you will be able to play only through the weekend. And most likely, it will be like last time (which was back in november), the account you create will stay with everything you did, be it in PvE, PvP or WvW, and if you are to buy the game, you can start exactly from where you left off.

Wallach

Some people on the official forums have really twisted themselves into some crazy rationalizations because they can't beat Liadri.

Ragus

Banned
Hmm, I think I may have hit a wall here.

I'm level 41 and I don't really know where should I do quests right now. I've just finished first Hylek main quest and now I'm signed up for the tournament. The thing is, that it's a lvl 45 quest.

So, I guess I should do some subquests. The thing is, that I really don't know where. Bloodtide Coast is a lvl 45-55 area, so certainly not there. I did some quests in Dredgehaunt Cliffs (lvl 40-50 area), but more than half of them is aboce level 47 and up to 49.

Did I miss any 40-45 area? Or should I just try doing those higher level quests? Or maybe grind? I'm afraid that without grinding, this problem will just keep on going and I'll always be +/- 5 levels below every area.

Wallach

I'm level 41 and I don't really know where should I do quests right now. I've just finished first Hylek main quest and now I'm signed up for the tournament. The thing is, that it's a lvl 45 quest.

So, I guess I should do some subquests. The thing is, that I really don't know where. Bloodtide Coast is a lvl 45-55 area, so certainly not there. I did some quests in Dredgehaunt Cliffs (lvl 40-50 area), but more than half of them is aboce level 47 and up to 49.

Did I miss any 40-45 area? Or should I just try doing those higher level quests? Or maybe grind? I'm afraid that without grinding, this problem will just keep on going and I'll always be +/- 5 levels below every area.

You technically can go anywhere you haven't been, because it'll just scale your actual level to the zone caps and you'll continue to get appropriate experience for your actual level.

Also, consider doing a bit of crafting, as it is worth a ton of character experience. Crafting experience is level neutral; you will always get 10 character levels worth out of a crafting skill by taking it from level 1 to 400.

Cels

Blazeridge steppes, harathi hinterlands are in your range

swnny

Maybe in Dredgehaunt Cliffs you were on the side of the map, where are the lvl45+ hearts and events. I'd suggest you to explore the rest of the map and you will find the lvl40+ stuff.
Also, as Wallach said, you can go in the zones for lower level and still get fully rewarded (xp wise) from the events there.

Aon

Hey, would it be possible to get in on this Guilding business? I think I've already got the Wars covered.

Aon.4905 or "Aonshix".

Just started playing today, picked it up off the strength of the anniversary thread in Gaming. Really enjoying it so far, so much love put into this world. My favourite moment was doing one of the game's kinda glitchy feeling jumping puzzles across some floating rocks and at the top, found a bunch of juvenile poison spiders, one of which I promptly tamed. Just weird enough and class specific enough to make me feel unique in an mmo for a moment, which is always impressive :D

I think my least favourite thing so far is that it downscales your level walking through old content, which would clearly be nice for leveling with a friend but denies me that dumb feeling of returning as the destroyer of worlds.

But yeah, really impressed so far. When people who really care about making an mmo get a hell of a budget, seems you get something pretty special.

Arcteryx

Not sure how I feel about ascended armor being time gated and the issues that brings with changing up your builds. It's bad enough having to wait weeks upon weeks just to get more commendations for accessories; I imagine it will be MUCH worse for actual pieces of armor.

I might just wait it out for legendary armor(assuming it will work like the weapons and allow you to change stats at will).

Retro

Hey, would it be possible to get in on this Guilding business? I think I've already got the Wars covered.

Aon.4905 or "Aonshix".

Looks like Wallach got you in this morning, welcome to GAFGuild.

So I should finish a fractal thingy sometime today.. anyone feel like helping me through it? >.> yes i havent done fractals yet, shush

Ask in Guild Chat, if I'm on and not in the middle of something, I'll tag along. Fractals are a blast.

Retro

Yea I did ask before, but only 1 guy wanted to

I'm on now, getting a party together. Looks like you're offline though. I think I'll grab some lunch then jump on in a little bit and see if more want to go. Iceblink (Non-GAFer) wanted to run some fractals too.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Some people on the official forums have really twisted themselves into some crazy rationalizations because they can't beat Liadri.
I read something (not really a rationalization, but just a way to dig at them for "bad content") along the lines of, "you know you made something people like when they want to abandon it the moment they beat it" and I'm thinking "bitch have you ever played Castlevania?"
some floating rocks and at the top, found a bunch of juvenile poison spiders, one of which I promptly tamed. Just weird enough and class specific enough to make me feel unique in an mmo for a moment, which is always impressive :D
Welcome! You're a sylvari, amirite?
I think my least favourite thing so far is that it downscales your level walking through old content, which would clearly be nice for leveling with a friend but denies me that dumb feeling of returning as the destroyer of worlds.
I have good news for you. No such feeling is denied. Your level downscaling doesn't take away the stat advantages from gear, your trait points or traits, your skills and skill as a player. You will be a complete monster in lower-level zones at 80, the only difference from the traditional way being you can't completely stop paying attention. I think it's the best of both worlds really.

But yeah, really impressed so far. When people who really care about making an mmo get a hell of a budget, seems you get something pretty special.
Make sure to a) look up frequently b) go places that appear they "might" have secrets and c) stick around after the completion of event, many have chains that go on for multiple steps, or open up hidden things or vendors.

edit: Dang I missed fractal party hehe.

Luigi87

RNG hates me <_<
Farm so much of Frostgorge, and only get a few exotics worth around 1-2G
My friend farms it so much less, and gets Crystal Guardian.

Retro

I've no idea why you guys continue to read the official forums.

It can be entertaining if you don't take it seriously.

That was fun (except the jumping >.>) Thanks guys :)

Yeah, the Asuran Fractal is the only one with jumping... the others have different themes, like swimming, operating switches, etc. The one we got first, swamp, is usually MUCH harder, but we had a good team and an easy draw on the wisp locations.

Fractals are a blast, can't wait for more to be added. Hopefully they do more than just Molten Facility, Aetherblade Retreat and the Reactor... maybe there will be 6 more so there's a second 'set', bringing the total to 18. That'd be amazing.

It can be entertaining if you don't take it seriously.

Yeah, the Asuran Fractal is the only one with jumping... the others have different themes, like swimming, operating switches, etc. The one we got first, swamp, is usually MUCH harder, but we had a good team and an easy draw on the wisp locations.

Fractals are a blast, can't wait for more to be added. Hopefully they do more than just Molten Facility, Aetherblade Retreat and the Reactor... maybe there will be 6 more so there's a second 'set', bringing the total to 18. That'd be amazing.

Yes, it was very easy.. totally.. yea.. just ignore me getting lost there for a second XD

Retro

Yes, it was very easy.. totally.. yea.. just ignore me getting lost there for a second XD

The Swamp fractal is not an easy one, especially to start out with. It's loaded with traps, doesn't have a lot of landmarks to navigate by, and it changes as you navigate it (seriously, roots and trees form up to block you in). It's easy to get lost in... that's kind of it's point, since it involves getting the wisps back through the maze in a short period of time.

I rarely go to the forums except for Dev comments. I was able to beat Liadri and I didn't like that boss. It basically took everything I hate about one-shot, insta-down, insta-dead mechanics and made it the primary mechanic about the boss.

Luigi87

Thank you Wallach for putting up with reviving and partying with me, as well as demonstrating the superior gauntlet locale and the pool spawn points.
Finally that Liadri mini is mine x_x

Luigi87

I was almost done with a story mission and my Internet decided to stop working. Am I going to have to start that whole thing over?

Unfortunately yes, as all story missions are instanced.
... I hope it wasn't Claw Island or Fort Trinity <_<

Anno

Have fun missioning tonight GAF. We're just moving into our new house and AT&T won't be here until Monday for cable and Internet. I suppose ill try tethering from my phone but I only get like 2-3 bars LTE here :(

methane47

I wanted to pick up a game for me and the gf. So i wanted to try Guild wars...

Are there any free trials before i slap down the cash to buy it?

Or are there any deals so i dont have to pay full price?

zulfate

is there a fast way to level up? im tired of running through the mid-game. i think crafting is the key but i am not sure if that is still a "thing"

Wallach

is there a fast way to level up? im tired of running through the mid-game. i think crafting is the key but i am not sure if that is still a "thing"

Very much so. Each crafting skill can get you up to 10 character levels depending on how far you level it up (the experience scales so it doesn't matter what level you start crafting). My Ranger pretty much went from 20-80 in LA with the use of a couple crafting boosters I got from dailies or something (though you might have a few from the new achievement chests).

C-Drive

I'm on Windows 8 and trying to get Gamepad Mode working.

xpadder is pretty much blank for me (no GUI/buttons), I can find the "open" dialog and open the controller file, but can't find a place to open the profile - only to create a new one and that seems bugged out as well.

I set it up while in GW2, do I need to restart Guild Wars 2 for it to pick up?

EDIT: Nevermind, figured it out. Seems to be working fine now - and the few seconds testing it was amazing.

Retro

:( well my gf wants to play now ... if not it will never happen... so i just will have to take the plunge at $50 a piece sigh

It's usually on sale, but for some reason not this week.

If it's any consolation, even people who've said they got bored with it routinely say they got more than their money's worth. And if you end up liking the game, it could be 1000+ hours easy.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm on Windows 8 and trying to get Gamepad Mode working.

xpadder is pretty much blank for me (no GUI/buttons), I can find the "open" dialog and open the controller file, but can't find a place to open the profile - only to create a new one and that seems bugged out as well.

I set it up while in GW2, do I need to restart Guild Wars 2 for it to pick up?

EDIT: Nevermind, figured it out. Seems to be working fine now - and the few seconds testing it was amazing.
Glad you got it workng!

Thing is, there may be some issues with Windows 8. If you have the script running, pressing F8 should reset your cursor to a fixed spot on the screen. Does this function work?

Jira

Server caps were increased again in prep for the anniversary/trial rush. This is the 2nd time in ~2 months now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom