• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| We've got fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levyne

Banned
It was going to be buffed to 50.

Edit: In general, these seem to be pretty big buffs to how I play pvp ranger (ie, not longbow power camping), and is a sideways move in pve.

Minamu

Empowered would work well in a group setting where you're sure to get extra boons, and percentage increases are what PvE min/maxing is all about (sadly).
I got nothing against percentages, I just find such minimal differences negligible. Go a little bit wild instead, you know? :) In games like Bloodborne or Fallout, I'd never pick a dmg+1% bonus, because it at least looks like a trivial addon.

Damage modifiers are multiplicative, not additive, so each percentage point you can get from a different source makes a bigger overall difference once they are all combined. At the very least even a solo Warrior could have Might, Fury, Swiftness, Vigor, and Regeneration going during a fight, so those together would be a 5% multiplier to skill damage.

Just to take it from the wiki since I am too lazy to make my own example:

Call it boring, but it is noticeable and does matter when your goal is to do max damage. But there are two other completely viable choices if that one doesn't suit your fancy.
Ah, well that changes things a lot. Didn't know it wasn't additive. I was gonna suggest it would've been more fun and interesting from a gameplay perspective if that 1% was 5% or even a crazy 10%, but seeing how it's not additive, that is clearly crazier than I initially thought :)

Moondrop

Banned
Here's one thought for each of the professions from what I caught:

Warrior: the master and grandmaster traits in the Defense line have been essentially flipped since the last stream, but Cleansing Ire and Last Stand are still in the same tier. Disappointment.

Elementalist: removing the internal cooldown from Fresh Air should potentially save this build from the scrap heap after removing Bolt to the Heart. Hope.

Engineer: with the new Iron Blooded damage reduction trait, revenants have a challenger for the new hammer frontline meta. Competition.

Ranger: Traits in the Nature Magic may actually make Blue Moa and Search and Rescue into viable skills for the first time since launch, but no one will take them because Nature Magic is still weak overall. Irony.

Quenk

Interesting. They dropped Strider's Defense to master. Hearing that they got rid of the sword damage buff had me a bit worried that it's underwhelming.

Retro

Sounds like twitch died for a lot of people, people in twitter are saying their E3 coverage died too. Oh well, guess we'll watch it on Youtube later.

Proven

Hmmm. What sigil would you use on longbow for this? The one with 20% burning duration?
Probably use the same Might on Weapon Swap sigil I'm using right now. Basically, with 8s of Flame Aura I should be able to definitely get 25 stacks of Might while fighting solo in PvE or PvP. If I'm in a party or in enough teamfights I may switch to Phalanx Strength, but something like WvW I'd still use Powerful Synergy.

I run a Condi Sword Warrior, so getting up to 25 stacks of Might, combined with the buff to Furious that I'm already running, along with all of the Condi bonuses added to the Arms line... I'd have to run the numbers but I'm looking at around 2k Condi Damage during Sword Flurry. Meaning that Warriors will now be all about burst whether it's with direct damage, condi damage, or CC chaining, with lots of pressure in between.

Here's one thought for each of the professions from what I caught:

Warrior: the master and grandmaster traits in the Defense line have been essentially flipped since the last stream, but Cleansing Ire and Last Stand are still in the same tier. Disappointment.

Elementalist: removing the internal cooldown from Fresh Air should potentially save this build from the scrap heap after removing Bolt to the Heart. Hope.

Engineer: with the new Iron Blooded damage reduction trait, revenants have a challenger for the new hammer frontline meta. Competition.

Ranger: Traits in the Nature Magic may actually make Blue Moa and Search and Rescue into viable skills for the first time since launch, but no one will take them because Nature Magic is still weak overall. Irony.

Comically enough, Nature Magic is what attracted me to Ranger in the first place. That and Opening Strike comboing. I even remember back during the CDI how I suggested making Opening Strike powerful by making that trait line revolve more around chaining it, and now here we are. I can run Cleric or Soldier's Amulet with a couple traits from Nature Magic while focusing on Remorseless now. Maybe even run Barbarian or Knight's instead. The best part about Nature Magic right now is that the support it provides is not predicated on Healing Power. I'm guessing the Druid specialization will change some considerations too.

Sounds like twitch died for a lot of people, people in twitter are saying their E3 coverage died too. Oh well, guess we'll watch it on Youtube later.

Bah, I was hoping it wasn't Twitch's fault, but I started to guess it when I refreshed and there was a little pop up about Day 0 E3 coverage. Worse than NeoGAF.

Edit: We're back!

Retro

Well, the stream is back with the "Be right back" screen. They need a picture of an Asura getting bonked on the head that reads "Technical Difficulties".

Edit: And it's gone again. Boo.

Bah, I was hoping it wasn't Twitch's fault, but I started to guess it when I refreshed and there was a little pop up about Day 0 E3 coverage. Worse than NeoGAF.

Yeah, Youtube has freakin' nailed it on E3 coverage this year. The best part is that streaming Youtube to devices like Smart TVs and such means I don't even need to camp out at the PC for much this year.

Moondrop

Banned
Bonus ranger thought: a screengrab from before the crash showed +10% pet damage when your health is >90% as a minor in the beastmastery tree. Given that there were similar 90% threshold traits for damage reduction and poison application, it seems like my nomad beastmaster set was in fact prescient and not a waste of money. :p Can't wait for the rest of the beastmastery line to see if my favorite build may yet return.

I was getting beta flashbacks for a moment there. ;)

Comically enough, Nature Magic is what attracted me to Ranger in the first place. That and Opening Strike comboing. I even remember back during the CDI how I suggested making Opening Strike powerful by making that trait line revolve more around chaining it, and now here we are. I can run Cleric or Soldier's Amulet with a couple traits from Nature Magic while focusing on Remorseless now. Maybe even run Barbarian or Knight's instead. The best part about Nature Magic right now is that the support it provides is not predicated on Healing Power. I'm guessing the Druid specialization will change some considerations too.
Remorseless does look very intriguing for theorycrafting, but building around it will be tricky- you'll need to commit to either skirmishing (fury on weapon swap), wilderness survival (fury on survival skill) or beastmastery (reduced CD for fury on pet swap), which complicates committing to nature magic and/or druidry. I definitely plan to build around Remorseless assuming beastmastery doesn't make a comeback, but it requires large power coefficients right? Trying to think of what weapon to use in addition to GS...

Proven

And they've just declared that they're stopping the stream for the day as Twitch isn't getting any better.

EDIT: AND THE CHANGES WILL BE PLAYABLE JUNE 23RD!!!!!!!

"To add on to what Stephane said, we'll get the info out to you guys asap. Otherwise, you can look forward to playing the changes on June 23."

AHHHHHHHHHHH!

Freaking out right now.

Quenk

And they've just declared that they're stopping the stream for the day as Twitch isn't getting any better.

EDIT: AND THE CHANGES WILL BE PLAYABLE JUNE 23RD!!!!!!!

Nice! I was hoping for it to be playable tomorrow but that was a long shot.

nataku

Yeah, Youtube has freakin' nailed it on E3 coverage this year. The best part is that streaming Youtube to devices like Smart TVs and such means I don't even need to camp out at the PC for much this year.

Youtube streaming for E3 isn't working for me, at all. I have to leave it on auto and it still drops down to 144p on a regular basis, and still buffers and freezes even then.

Twitch has been flawless for me. I really hope they get things sorted out before the Sony conference.

Retro

So, just a reminder, June 23rd is, for sure;
- New Lion's Arch
- Condition / Boon / movement changes
- Wallet changes
- Skill and Trait changes

... and I feel like I'm forgetting something. We don't know if the Personal Story fix is going into this update either, but it's possible I guess.

That's a pretty good update. Now we just have to see if we get a release date tomorrow and I will be one happy Retro.

Youtube streaming for E3 isn't working for me, at all. I have to leave it on auto and it still drops down to 144p on a regular basis, and still buffers and freezes even then.

Twitch has been flawless for me. I really hope they get things sorted out before the Sony conference.

That's weird, I've been getting decent quality (720p for the most part) and stability out of Youtube all day / last night. I haven't even bothered with Twitch, which is fine because I don't particularly like them (or their community). I'm really looking forward to Youtube Gaming based on their performance this year, and kind of quietly hope Twitch dropping the ball in the middle of E3 like this is the thing that convinces everyone to seek greener pastures.

Moondrop

Banned
Barely one week to say goodbye to:
- Spirit PVP build
- Guaranteed Crit Eviscerate PvP build
- Fresh Air + Bolt to the Heart PvP build
- Phantasm DPS PvP build
- Bunker down mobility PvP build

I will try to remind myself to be excited that we are entering a new era of theorycrafting. But this is a time to pour one out for builds that have served me well for the past 3 years. Sniff.

Where's my fucking guardian changes :(

Guardian has been removed and replaced with a new kit for Engineer: Adderall friendly glowsticks with buff supports including; Spin-to-annoy, buffs that make some nonsenical blue effect and even more spin-to-annoy.

coming to biased engineer developed game near you, very soon!

Proven

Bonus ranger thought: a screengrab from before the crash showed +10% pet damage when your health is >90% as a minor in the beastmastery tree. Given that there were similar 90% threshold traits for damage reduction and poison application, it seems like my nomad beastmaster set was in fact prescient and not a waste of money. :p Can't wait for the rest of the beastmastery line to see if my favorite build may yet return.

I was getting beta flashbacks for a moment there. ;)

Remorseless does look very intriguing for theorycrafting, but building around it will be tricky- you'll need to commit to either skirmishing (fury on weapon swap), wilderness survival (fury on survival skill) or beastmastery (reduced CD for fury on pet swap), which complicates committing to nature magic and/or druidry. I definitely plan to build around Remorseless assuming beastmastery doesn't make a comeback, but it requires large power coefficients right? Trying to think of what weapon to use in addition to GS...
Right now I'm thinking Marksmanship, Nature Magic, and Beast Mastery. I'll have Fury on Pet Swap through the Call of the Wild trait, which can also be traited to grant me Regeneration which will then automatically reduce incoming damage. However, I'll also need to do something about Condition Removal.

As for the weapon besides Greatsword, that's where I'm stuck on too. Best guess I have is swap to Axe/Warhorn and use Axe #3 for the alternate burst, if needed. Axe is getting that mastery trait in Beastmastery too. Else, I'll just use Sword/Warhorn for kiting, pop Call of the Wild on Warhorn for Remorseless and then swap to Greatsword for burst, then a few seconds later I'll pet swap for another Maul. I can also look into pet abilities that grant Fury.

Edit: Woops, the reduced damage from Regeneration is in the Wilderness line. Hmm. So if there is any other bonus I get from Regen I have to hope it comes in the Beastmaster line. I'd also like to see a shout trait that would work well with the Nature Magic revival trait. At the very least, it'd be cool if the Regen + Swiftness on Shout was still in, and then I'd be tanky while throwing out party wide Swiftness and Regen, even on my heal. Of course, Ranger shouts are mostly considered bad too...

Edit2: Nature's Voice was the trait I was thinking of, and I could just use it with Trooper runes in the worst case to cover condi removal. There, my build is all but set.

Moondrop

Banned
I can also look into pet abilities that grant Fury.
Red Moa for the win.

I was trying to theorycraft a pet-based Remorseless build, but I can't recall if pets receiving Opening Strike will be made baseline. Regardless I stumbled across this concept: a beastmastery build focused on Predator's Onslaught: +10% damage against foes affected by hard or soft CC. Sword/dagger(!?!) + shortbow. Or Greatsword + Shortbow to emphasize Moment of Clarity. The best part is this only requires the Marksmanship line and of course Beastmastery, leaving a line open for Druidry.

Edit2: Nature's Voice was the trait I was thinking of, and I could just use it with Trooper runes in the worst case to cover condi removal. There, my build is all but set.
Did they announce in the streams that the ranger shouts would become non-terrible? I missed that. :p

Proven

Some crunched the numbers on Reddit.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/...p_skills_and_balance_livestream_notes/cs7jyg0
hkidnc said:
Condition damage changes compared to their previous values at level 80
Bleeding: 42+ .05X -> 26 + .075X. Normalizes at 640 Condition Damage to make it equal to what it was before. Beyond that point, you can expect your bleeds to approach 25% more damage.
Burning: 328+.25X -> 131+.155X. That's 2.5x less intial damage, and 1.5x slower growth based on condition damage. If you can maintain 2 stacks of burning, you'll be dealing slightly less damage than before, and with more than 3 stacks you're dealing more damage than before. This is great. So for every 3 stacks of burn you can keep going at a time, you're dealing 100% more burn damage than you were before.
Poison: 84+.1X -> 33+.06X Exact same change as Burning (as far as percentages are concerned) so same conclusion.
Torment: 31.875+.0375X -> 19.5+.055X Hits parity at ~700 CD. Beyond that, about 15% more damage.
So, if a build is focused in Condition damage, they can typically hit around 1200-1400 CD (I'm not sure on the exact number for a hypothetical "Optimal" build) So we're looking at a really good buff here. Depending on what condition you're focusing on, you're going to be doing anywhere from 25-100% more condition damage. Thieves, in particular, with their spider venom, are going to go from perma poison, to 25-30 stacks of poison per activation, which is about 10x the amount of poison damage they were capable of doing previously (assuming no more thief venom changes, which I'm sure we'll have in the stream after this post, and I'll edit if they nerf it)
Yay condition damage builds.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/...p_skills_and_balance_livestream_notes/cs7nse1
lokikaraoke said:
I computed at 1600 CD.
Bleeding 33% more damage, 66% more damage with 25 vuln stacks
Torment 17% more damage, 46% more damage with 25 vuln stacks
Burning 48% less damage (2 stacks roughly equivalent), 35% less damage with 25 vuln stacks
Poison numbers basically the same as burning.
A 33%-66% bleed damage increase worries me. Greatly.

Also, the VOD from Twitch caught the rest of the Ranger changes even though the stream went down. Noticed by someone on Reddit: http://www.twitch.tv/guildwars2/b/669362853?t=2h14m30s
To just see the traits: http://imgur.com/wkitAJV

I am still left wondering what the new stat numbers will be like on equipment and whether Ascended will gain any larger benefit over Exotic than it currently holds. The more stats you give equipment certainly makes it seem like it would be more important.

Some crunched the numbers on Reddit.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/...p_skills_and_balance_livestream_notes/cs7jyg0

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/...p_skills_and_balance_livestream_notes/cs7nse1

Also, the VOD from Twitch caught the rest of the Ranger changes even though the stream went down. Noticed by someone on Reddit: http://www.twitch.tv/guildwars2/b/669362853?t=2h14m30s
To just see the traits: http://imgur.com/wkitAJV

Proven do you think Condi will be new meta? Should I just throw my brand new Ascended Berserker set in the trash?

Moondrop

Banned
Miscellaneous highlights:

- Slow and Resistance will both be in the game (!).
- Quickness is now a boon (will it proc from Sigil of Luck, Signet of Inspiration, etc.?).
- Vigor effectiveness nerfed 50% (only vaguely recall this being announced).
- Engi med kit really is a support set.
- Guardian Signet of Courage, Active: "Fully heal nearby allies, 180s CD" (!).
- Guardian virtue radius reduced from 1200 to 600 (could be big in WvW).
- Mesmer glamour CDs reduced 20% baseline.
- Illusionary Leap fixed again (lulz).
- Mesmer's Mimic appears to enable double-casting of utility skills (!).
- Polymorph Moa is a signet (interesting).
- Mesmer's Signet of Inspiration does indeed grant perma-swiftness.
- Evasive Mirror- mesmer gains projectile barrier (1.5s/1.5s CD) on successful evade (reflect tank build incoming).
- Necro focus skill range increased to 1200.
- Blood is Power grants 8 stacks of might to allies.
- Spectral Walk can no longer be activated in mid-air (RIP lulz).
- Steal range increase to 1200 and CD down to 30s.
- Thieves are straight-up buffed by allowing them to take 3 whole lines.
- No final word on whether Heal as One is becoming a shout and Troll Unguent a survival skill. Both viable now with trait combos.

Emitan

Steal has had its base range increased from 900 to 1200.
:3c

Healing Seed (stolen from Ranger): The duration of this ability has been reduced from 10 seconds to 5. Pulses now occur every 1 second, down from every 2 seconds.
:D

Practiced Tolerance: Gain ferocity based on your precision at a rate of 10%.
ferocity instead of vit :O :O :O

No Quarter: Landing a critical hit while under the effect of fury extends the duration of fury by 2 seconds (this effect has a 2 second internal cooldown). Gain up to 250 ferocity (based on level) while under the effects of fury.
:O :O :O :O :O

Last Refuge: Use Blinding Powder when you are struck while below 25% health.
I CAN OPT OUT OF LAST REFUGE
OMG
THANK YOU ANET
ITS AN ADEPT NOW

Trey

June 23 Specialization Changes:
https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/June-23-Specialization-Changes

There's a lot to take in there.

Miscellaneous highlights:

- Slow and Resistance will both be in the game (!).
- Quickness is now a boon (will it proc from Sigil of Luck, Signet of Inspiration, etc.?).
- Vigor effectiveness nerfed 50% (only vaguely recall this being announced).
- Engi med kit really is a support set.
- Guardian Signet of Courage, Active: "Fully heal nearby allies, 180s CD" (!).
- Guardian virtue radius reduced from 1200 to 600 (could be big in WvW).
- Mesmer glamour CDs reduced 20% baseline.
- Illusionary Leap fixed again (lulz).
- Mesmer's Mimic appears to enable double-casting of utility skills (!).
- Polymorph Moa is a signet (interesting).
- Mesmer's Signet of Inspiration does indeed grant perma-swiftness.
- Evasive Mirror- mesmer gains projectile barrier (1.5s/1.5s CD) on successful evade (reflect tank build incoming).
- Necro focus skill range increased to 1200.
- Blood is Power grants 8 stacks of might to allies.
- Spectral Walk can no longer be activated in mid-air (RIP lulz).
- Steal range increase to 1200 and CD down to 30s.
- Thieves are straight-up buffed by allowing them to take 3 whole lines.
- No final word on whether Heal as One is becoming a shout and Troll Unguent a survival skill. Both viable now with trait combos.

so are Elementalists still gods? this is what the people want to know.

spiritfox

Ugh, Speedy Kits nerfed. Mecha Legs is too out of the way to take and Med Kit swiftness is ground target. Guess it's time to buy some Traveler Runes. Again.

Moondrop

Banned
so are Elementalists still gods? this is what the people want to know.
Honestly, on paper, elementalist is the only profession that seems to have been nerfed a bit. We'll find out to what degree.

I've whined plenty about bolt to the heart being moved, but overall forcing the choice of three lines seems to hit elementalist hardest, as you can no longer cherry pick traits from each. But with improvements in base attunement recharge no longer strongly encouraging arcana, ele is probably fine.

Not that dungeons ever mattered.

I have no idea what this comment has to do with anything.

Spotter and Strength in Numbers are still 600 radius, so I'm not sure why Empower Allies needed to be cut. 300 range is so close to another player that a full party will rarely ever see the benefits without stacking in melee range of the target, where as before it worked fine in almost all other realistic situations, even if some players chose to range from slightly further back.

Mxrz

These are all consecutive hits from Deathly Claws vs two thief players. No might, no vuln.It also pierces. Just wat. But you take it away and a Necro hasn't got a whole lot left. Throw in the stuff today, and I really don't get what 'balance' is anymore in this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom