• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| We've got fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moondrop

Banned
These are all consecutive hits from Deathly Claws vs two thief players. No might, no vuln.It also pierces. Just wat.
Deathly Claws is the Lich Form auto-attack. It's supposed to wreck people. It seemed pretty OP at first but people know how to deal with it now.

tiijj

This...

Miscellaneous highlights:
- Spectral Walk can no longer be activated in mid-air (RIP lulz).

and -All skills in the grenade kit have had their range updated nerfed from 1200 to 900

6mdi0Yg.gif

Mxrz

That what makes it worse. I literally just pressed E, then 11111 to kill two players in the space of a few seconds. Its not going to break the game, but its such a cheesy skill. Like a modern day Harm Touch.

Wallach

Conditions. We made it boys.

Edit - I'm reading the Necro notes now. This is the dream, boys. We made it.

Edit 2 - Wait they rekt Consume Conditions. anet pls

Proven

Proven do you think Condi will be new meta? Should I just throw my brand new Ascended Berserker set in the trash?
In PvE? Nope. They're likely to be aiming to get it up to par but because of ramp up time it probably won't matter unless you're running Hybrid. There's a slight chance that with the expansion certain specs will win out using Hybrid or Condi, but not only will it take time to figure out (during which time people will still want Berserker primarily) but I doubt that losing Ferocity from traits is actually going to even things out enough.

In PvP, I dunno yet. I also wish I played more WvW to be able to talk about anything outside of the roamer meta.

June 23 Specialization Changes:
https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/June-23-Specialization-Changes

There's a lot to take in there.

Vigor: Decreased the endurance regeneration rate from 100% to 50%.
I didn't recall them nerfing Vigor. That's... big. Less dodges, all around. Weakness is indirectly buffed. It means that if I take the Warrior Signet with the 50% endurance regen, I'm fully running with Vigor and I don't need Warhorn anymore... but I love Warhorn...

Healing Breeze: Now "Receive the Light!" I'm actually really glad this voice clip is still in use. I'm going to miss hearing it spammed though. It was so funny....

Litany of Wrath: Reduced the cast time of this ability from 3/4 second to 1/4 second.
This is the Guardian Meditation Heal that everyone felt was trash because of the cast time. Medi Guard with even more synergy now...

Smite is still not a symbol. Oh well. I just wish that they'd move the damn Scepter trait from the symbol trait line then!!!!!

Permeating Wrath: Virtue of Justice’s passive effect no longer only burns your target, but also burns the area around your target each time it activates.
I made the thread in the forums, and it actually helped! Scepter (and eventually Longbow) buff!

Guardian build for the time being (if I'm not more distracted with every other class) will be Radiance/Honor/Virtues with Scepter/Torch and Mace/Focus.

Mimic: Updated functionality of this skill. This skill now causes the next utility slot skill you use within 10 seconds to recharge in 1 second. Increased recharge to 90 seconds.
Holy shit Mimic.

Actually, too many Mesmer things to even comment on.

Necromancer... got a lot more poison... Oh wait, Blood Magic siphons really are going to to heal in "Shroud!" I can finally make the Vampiric Necromancer I dreamed about since September 2012!

Unholy Fervor: Reduces recharge of axe skills by 20% and deal 10% more damage to vulnerable foes.
They got rid of the auto-attack to reduce cooldown mechanic. I'm actually kinda sad about this.

Signets of Suffering: Reduces recharge of signet skills by 20%. Signets grant 3 stacks of might for 15 seconds on cast and convert up to 2 boons on affected foes to conditions.
Woah.

Everything about Curses Master line will make Condi Necros happy.

Weakening Shroud: Critical hits inflict weakness for 5 seconds (10s ICD). When you enter shroud cast Enfeeble on nearby foes (Enfeeble is functionally identical to the dagger skill Enfeebling Blood.)
YES YES YES! I will actually have to consider swapping Blood Magic for Curses. They actually listened and put a trait in that helps power damage in Curses.

Uh... wait a second. They actually made Death Magic attractive to me...

Blood Magic minor traits drop the bomb. Except Mark of Evasion... you can't use that anywhere nearby mobs without getting into combat...

They moved Warhorn trait into Blood Magic where it beyonds and... and... Vampiric Presence... You and allies near you siphon health with attacks (combat only). This effect stacks with the siphoning granted by Vampiric... drool...

Blood Magic Grandmasters... drool...

The only reason for me to not go into Blood Magic now will be a lack of Healing Power on my gear... Guys, I think I have a problem. Too many of my characters are going to have Healing Power at this rate. If Parasitic Contagion healed you in Shroud I'd be dead right now.

Scrolled back up and read Mesmer anyway. Once again I want to own all five traitlines at once. Guess I still won't be using my Mesmer much.

Thief has some cool things going with it. But my current build is still... not viable.

Woah, reading about the new Thief trait Don't Stop, Cripple now slows your movement speed by 50% instead of 33%!

This took me over an hour to read through... And it was only for the four classes that weren't covered... I'll theorycraft/remake my current builds tomorrow... Hopefully that_shaman's calculator will be updated...

Edit:
Conditions. We made it boys.

Edit - I'm reading the Necro notes now. This is the dream, boys. We made it.

Edit 2 - Wait they rekt Consume Conditions. anet pls
Consume Conditions: This skill is now considered a corruption skill and applies 10 stacks of vulnerability to you for 4 seconds after use. Increased recharge to 30 seconds.
I missed this... They did something similar to Plague but I shrugged it off. Damn. I really will likely use the Well heal now and go Blood Magic, with or without Healing Power. I just need one or two more sources of condition removal...

People like different content. Dungeons obviously matter to some people. You should respect that :))

Ash doesn't respect anything that isn't greatswords. It's just the way he is.

Trying to change him would be like trying to force Miktar to use the litterbox, or making Kos stop pooping maple syrup. You can try, but you're not going to be succesful at it!

Ashodin

You guys taking things so personal!

Dungeons in general are just a way to make money in the game (and get skins) in comparison to other games they have very little significance to the game as a whole.

They're there specifically to be "there". As part of a feature set. Further reinforced by the fact that we knew that there was a team dedicated to revamping them and was pulled off that project (presumably, to work on HoT and LS).

I'd wager a large bet we won't get dungeons touched in the expansion at all.

Retro

You guys taking things so personal!

Dungeons in general are just a way to make money in the game (and get skins) in comparison to other games they have very little significance to the game as a whole.

They're there specifically to be "there". As part of a feature set. Further reinforced by the fact that we knew that there was a team dedicated to revamping them and was pulled off that project (presumably, to work on HoT and LS).

I'd wager a large bet we won't get dungeons touched in the expansion at all.

That's kind of a lame attitude, honestly. Lots of people enjoy the challenge of the dungeons (whether it's speed-running, soloing or self-imposing rules to increase the difficulty) and just because you aren't into them doesn't mean they don't matter to a lot of people.

I also don't think the game has dungeons just to meet some kind of "MMO feature quota," but because they genuinely intended for dungeons to be another content platform aimed at challenging group content (and in that respect, there's nothing else in the game like them). The problem with dungeons as I see it is, there's people who want more challenging dungeons but the vast majority of people seem to want more efficient dungeons when it comes to rewards. Aetherpath is a great example; challenging, diverse, interesting from start to finish, but people don't run it because it's not rewarding enough compared to farming AC 1&3 / COF1&2 / SE. It takes too long, it has too many fights that can go wrong... it's inefficient if all you're after is loot. They probably look at the data for dungeons and see how many paths are being wasted, how little payoff they got for all the time spent on the Aetherpath, etc. and figure their time is better spent elsewhere. I can't say I blame them, if that's the case. It may be a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy, but it seems clear that ArenaNet is better at doing big, open world stuff than they are at dungeons. In a perfect world, we could have both, but it's just not going to happen in reality.

But maybe I'm weird. I loved running Blackrock Depths back in WoW even though it was a huge, confusing enemy-ridden clusterfuck you could spend hours in and still not see everything. Everyone hated doing it to get attuned for MC, but I thought it was easily the best dungeon that game had to offer.

Perks of being friends with an Anet employee's wife:

I got some extra convention swag :)

Oh damn, nice haul. The female centaur card is fitting (and it's signed too, sweet).

Moondrop

Banned
Wow I didn't notice that about Consume Conditions. But 4 seconds isn't that bad.

I also didn't notice that Signet of Inspiration is just 5 sec of swiftness every 10 sec.

Using any shatter skill now creates the shatter effect on you as well by default.

YES.

Phantasms damage increased by 15%.

Muh LAWD.

Reduced recharge on Glamour skills by 20%

YUSSSS.

Mind Wrack recharge reduced from 15s to 12s.
Cry of Frustration recharge reduced from 30s to 15s
Diversion recharge reduced from kitten to 38s
Distortion recharge reduced from 60s to 50s

AGE OF SHATTER.

Mesmer skills which create bouncing projectiles now bounce 1 additional time.

It's like my eternal GS/Staff build is now DEFAULT MESMER, and I get to pick all sorts of other goodies.

Wallach

Wow I didn't notice that about Consume Conditions. But 4 seconds isn't that bad.

I also didn't notice that Signet of Inspiration is just 5 sec of swiftness every 10 sec.

The 10 stacks of Vuln would have been enough I think, but the increase in CD makes it pretty ugly overall and is a really hard nerf to build away from. The trait shifting means even Condi builds which were taking Terror can't take the CD reduction trait on Corruption skills to lower it back down. Even that trait though now has a pseudo-penalty of causing all Corruption skills to afflict yourself with more conditions per use. Outside of pets I don't know if Necro has enough transfers to give that trait a potential drawback. I'm not that beat up over the Elite duration nerfs, but it would have been nice to see those two skills actually get some rework because they've always been pretty garbage in terms of playability.

I dunno, after reading the rest of the notes I think the Necromancer probably lost some ground overall. Blood Magic made a lot of strides but for good reason, and looking over the rest of the class notes it certainly seems like power levels went up everywhere.

Ashodin

That's kind of a lame attitude, honestly. Lots of people enjoy the challenge of the dungeons (whether it's speed-running, soloing or self-imposing rules to increase the difficulty) and just because you aren't into them doesn't mean they don't matter to a lot of people.

I also don't think the game has dungeons just to meet some kind of "MMO feature quota," but because they genuinely intended for dungeons to be another content platform aimed at challenging group content (and in that respect, there's nothing else in the game like them). The problem with dungeons as I see it is, there's people who want more challenging dungeons but the vast majority of people seem to want more efficient dungeons when it comes to rewards. Aetherpath is a great example; challenging, diverse, interesting from start to finish, but people don't run it because it's not rewarding enough compared to farming AC 1&3 / COF1&2 / SE. It takes too long, it has too many fights that can go wrong... it's inefficient if all you're after is loot. They probably look at the data for dungeons and see how many paths are being wasted, how little payoff they got for all the time spent on the Aetherpath, etc. and figure their time is better spent elsewhere. I can't say I blame them, if that's the case. It may be a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy, but it seems clear that ArenaNet is better at doing big, open world stuff than they are at dungeons. In a perfect world, we could have both, but it's just not going to happen in reality.

But maybe I'm weird. I loved running Blackrock Depths back in WoW even though it was a huge, confusing enemy-ridden clusterfuck you could spend hours in and still not see everything. Everyone hated doing it to get attuned for MC, but I thought it was easily the best dungeon that game had to offer.

Oh damn, nice haul. The female centaur card is fitting (and it's signed too, sweet).

I won't ignore your entire post, so my response is "when did I say they didn't matter to people"? I'm referring to the point that ANet most likely largely as a whole has been steered away from providing more of that. It's most likely a bulletpoint rather than a rallying development banner for them.

And I never said they added them in the beginning this way either; just the fact that as they are now, they are fixed points of reference that needn't be updated because only 5 players at a time get to see the content. They want HUNDREDS of players to see content at a time, if possible.

And let me get this right out of the way as well: I love dungeons. I love them wholeheartedly. I love the idea of taking down hard bosses and challenging encounters just as much as anyone else. What I don't love is the efficiency mentality that has emerged around them and the sort of elitist "meta" of stacking and specific builds (that I know GAF does not hang on builds, but stacking seems to be prevalent).

I cannot find a group in the guild to do dungeons either because of my own gameplay times, which comes late late at night. It makes me wish we had more oceanic players. So there's that coloring my judgment.

My post response was not aimed at anyone nor was it meant to be inflammatory in any way, but a rather calm statement of the facts as they currently appear to be.

leng jai

Only read the Mesmer changes and they sound OP as shit now. I'm assuming they just universally buffed everyone to ridiculous levels.

Zeroth

A 10% difference is barely anything to write home about, but naturally people will overeact. I understand the mathematicians will go "you will kill stuff 10% faster!", but how significant is it compared to the previous 5%? You are not going to see any obvious difference.

Proven

Just remember that many percentage bonuses are just certain traits being baseline, like illusions doing more damage.

Something I'm considering making a thread about is that I'd like every "conversion" trait that gives you a percentage of one stat into another to do something a little extra so it's more sexy.

A decent example is from the Guardian:

Retributive Armor: Gain up to 250 bonus toughness (based on effective level) when blocking an attack. Gain ferocity based on 13% of your current toughness.

I'd really like them all to do something more when often they're master level traits that give 10% and the amount you're going to get from those traits is anywhere from 60 to maybe 200 more attribute points. In terms of precision, that'd be anywhere from 3% to 10% increase critical chance, but then for that 10% increase you'd have to get 2000 in that stat.

A 10% difference is barely anything to write home about, but naturally people will overeact. I understand the mathematicians will go "you will kill stuff 10% faster!", but how significant is it compared to the previous 5%? You are not going to see any obvious difference.

The 5% difference in stats between exotic and ascended berserker worked out as an 11% difference in DPS, so a 10% difference in stats is absolutely going to be noticeable.

This is basically exactly what I was expecting to happen.

• Added an option to lock the ground target marker at maximum skill range, preventing the marker from being placed out of range.
• Item tooltips for soulbound items will now display the name of the character it is bound to if it isn’t the current character.

God bless.

We have taken into account the skills and traits that you had currently selected on your character and made an effort to unlock and equip a build similar to what you had been running prior to this release.

Hmm... I need to make sure everyone has the right stuff equipped then.

Specializations and trait choices are game mode specific. You may select different specialization lines and associated traits in PvE, WvW, and PvP.

Fuck yes! Save my WvW build.

Antitoxin Spray has been removed from the game.

Give me back all the skill points that I spent on 8 characters unlocking it. :<

&#8226; In general, scaling down has been weakened, and scaling up has been increased.
&#8226; Stat Scaling now better accounts for level ranges where equipment start offering more possible stats (e.g. one, two, or three stat pieces of gear).
&#8226; Rarity scaling now takes into account how close you are to the maximum available rarity when scaling up or down.
&#8226; Some Minor stacking on kill Sigils have had their values reduced.

These all make the low-level dungeons harder. Maybe Spider Queen in AC won't die in 4 seconds flat.

It will also make exotic and ascended gear both less important in non level 80 areas.

Thorgal

For the average joe playing this , sure but for speedrun groups or WR setters a 10% difference can mean the difference of finishing seconds earlier in ascended then the group in exotics .

I don't get how every class now seems to have some kind of healing (others) trait line, as if healing others in GW2 will ever be viable.

Healing only worked in previous games because other party members did not have to ever move around and neither did the healer.

Engi inventions trait line will continue to be the least used one for me.

Zeroth

The 5% difference in stats between exotic and ascended berserker worked out as an 11% difference in DPS, so a 10% difference in stats is absolutely going to be noticeable.

This is basically exactly what I was expecting to happen.

Perhaps I should have contextualized my quote. Your damage number is for full exotic versus full ascended. For a mixed player (ascended trinkets/weapon and exotic armor):

Ascended armor only increases damage by 1.8% over exotic if you already have ascended back, trinkets and weapon.

And hence, I said people wont really notice it. Most have these, armor is the biggest problem due go its cost and what people truly fear about ascended being better, due to its goldsink.

As for thorgal's post, people who do speedruns and whatever *already run* full ascended, including infusions, so the point is moot.

Mxrz

Crafting all those ascended weapons & armor will finally payoff, woo.

Still not sold on the new elite guardian signets. Maybe with the 20% boost trait. But giving up Renewed Focus isn't easy, even if Virtue range is getting nerfed in the bottom.

HamShoutBow time.

Everything getting damage boosts. Healing all over. Solution to the celestial meta was to make everything celestial?

Only read the Mesmer changes and they sound OP as shit now. I'm assuming they just universally buffed everyone to ridiculous levels.

I want to think there's a plan. Dunno what it is. But I want to think its there.

Levyne

Banned
Underwhelming Ranger changes on top of this new news makes me glad I finished my Guard's ascended weapons. Too bad they aren't Sinister or Rabid for the new meta though.

Morokh

You mean settler/nomad.

Is settler/nomad becoming good some kind of new meme, or is it actually true ?

I personally have a hard time figuring-out anything with all the info we got, I'll see about all that when it's in-game.

I guess on top of all that we'll be getting new Lion's Arch next week then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom