• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| We've got fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.
50 dollars for an expansion pack is a straight up joke.

WOW.

Like I said, hold off. It's $50 for CORE GAME + XPANSION...

So if you already own the core game... you SHOULD get a discount. I'm still trying to confirm through someone what's supposed to happen.

$50 for Guild Wars 2 + it's first expansion, is actually a great price. But now if you already own GW2.

I really hope they have an xpac only price soon.

Proven

Quick thoughts:

Having a portal for Guild Missions is both awesome and convenient. I still probably won't do any but still...

GvG arena confirmed. Arena can also be used to privately duel, although it'll be with PvE armor instead of PvP armor.

More WvW integration. Guild Hall is also going to be linked to PvP team leaderboards.

New crafting profession for Guild Halls. I wonder if it's related to those motorbikes...

My only concern is that you assault the Guild Hall in order to capture it. That's a lot of work for a one time thing. So I have to wonder if there's a game mode or Guild mission attached to it, maybe as a defense mission. If true, it's likely not PvP focused, but I'd probably have some fun with it. I really enjoy horde modes in certain games (Halo's Firefights being one of my faves, Call of Duty Nazi Zombies being one of my least favorite).

I'll wait to buy right before the first beta weekend.

Mxrz

Higher than expected. Going to have to see if there's a retail release. Somehow a physical box makes it easier to drop $75.

Proven

Like I said, hold off. It's $50 for CORE GAME + XPANSION...

So if you already own the core game... you SHOULD get a discount. I'm still trying to confirm through someone what's supposed to happen.
This is a good point. Another reason to wait. Else I'm going to spend that much just to get a free camera slot?

Actually, the money probably is for base game, expansion, living story season 2, and you'll one day retroactively get living story season 1.

50 dollars for an expansion pack is a straight up joke.

WOW.

It depends entirely on what is offered. If the expansion contains enough content to justify the price, I think its fair game.

I told you guys I thought it would be 50 or 60. Its not uncommon for games with no monthly fee, and when you think about where the market is headed with 30-40 dollar season passes for map packs for shooters, this doesn't surprise me at all!

But as I said, it depends about how much is offered. I hope it would mean that the expansion is much more encompassing that a normal expansion for a diablo or a standard MMO that adds 5-10 levels and a few farting things here and there!

I really hope they'll have a 'if you already own GW2, get HoT at this price' deal...

If not, I'm in trouble, because I do not ethically agree with them selling me the game twice, just to jack up the price.

leng jai

If there is another option for the expansion only why didn't they put it up right now with the rest of the packages? This is probably all we're getting.

nataku

My only concern is that you assault the Guild Hall in order to capture it. That's a lot of work for a one time thing. So I have to wonder if there's a game mode or Guild mission attached to it, maybe as a defense mission. If true, it's likely not PvP focused, but I'd probably have some fun with it. I really enjoy horde modes in certain games (Halo's Firefights being one of my faves, Call of Duty Nazi Zombies being one of my least favorite).

Yeah, definitely. Some sort of horde mode/tower defense type game with player controlled structures and turrets would be amazing for the guild halls and a huge missed opportunity if they don't do it.

Mxrz

Pretty sure every gw1 expansion except eotn was $50

They were also huge. I've always thought HoT was going to be EotN sized. Maybe I'm wrong.

GW2 is worth the price to me, so I'm down either way. But I will wait to see if there's boxed copies available before diving in.

Aquila

Was honestly expecting $40 for the expansion with one extra character slot. I'll still get it but I'm a tad disappointed. Don't see much point in the deluxe edition. If you're spending that much already, you probably already buy a bunch of gems and may as well get the collector's edition.

Props to Colin on the livestream. That has to be beyond nerve-wracking but you were well rehearsed and exuberant.

nataku

Sonicbug

Yeah, I won't be buying an expansion pack that screws over existing players with the price until they're far more forthcoming with exactly HOW big this expansion is. Scummy.

Proven

Reading this...

Once cleared, players will find a large crystal in the heart of the instance, that when interacted with will essentially cut off Mordremoth’s influence.
This is likely related to that cutscenes in living story season 2.
The egg wasn't the only thing causing lights to blast out through the jungle. These crystals are likely the other lights. Or... it'll be personal/living story related

Also, new fighting profession = new crafting profession. I know what my Revenant is going to be now.

The base game is currently what price? You can subtract that from $50 to get the expansion's value.

I just almost quoted the bottom half of the article. Especially the last two paragraphs. Okay, now I'm extra excited.

Those were standalone games with absolutely massive continents to explore.

This is an expansion focused on one area of the map. Completely different, imo.

To be fair, this is the same reason I didn't pay $60 for Skyrim.

Daggerfall was an entire continent to explore, lots more content.
Skyrim is one tiny part of that continent, but cost twice as much.

No point in preordering anyway, I'll decide for myself if the expansion is worth it when it comes out. It doesn't seem that it will be from what we know.

Proven

Checking Amazon, I didn't realize the base game was still $40. So many sales (Amazon still has it fir half off) that I'm surprised.

leng jai

Horrendous communication as usual. They should have clarified everything and left nothing up to speculation. Anet must love unnecessary shitstorms.

Dead

well not really...yet
So I guess the Guild Hall map is basically a big ol Raid, and then you claim the map as your Guild Hall?

Maybe that is the challenging group content they mentioned?

Emitan

A feature that players have long wanted is a way for guilds to all go out together to a new map, and the guild portal will allow guilds to do just that. After selecting a destination (such as a location near an active guild mission) all guild members that walk through the Fractals of the Mist like portal will be zipped to that location. The portal will give a high preference to keeping all members of the guild together and on the same map at their location, and in internal tests have apparently always kept the guild together.

Yesssssss

Ashodin

Fucking STOOOOOOOOKED at the trailer. Seems like a lot of content, and a mini-raid to take the Hall. (Two of them!)

I saw BIKES. BIKES!

Calling down airship defense in WvW? SOLID.

I'm really concerned that people will call that shit unbalanced because A) Large guild takes Stonemist B) said guild uses all their P2W to keep airships attacking 24/7

Decorations are items that guilds will be able to place in their Guild Halls in order to truly customize them. There will be many ways of getting decorations including the new Scribe discipline, the Deluxe edition of Heart of Thorns and through various game rewards, especially content that focuses on group play.

COUGHCOUGHGEMSTORECOUGHCOUGH

swtor already does this

Also, the decorations sound sweet, some of them will have collision, expect me to setup crazy jumping puzzles for Guild Missions extra bonus fun time happy awesomeness

Ashodin

Seems like to me since there's no Physical CE that the game is much closer to release (as they do not have time to manufacture either a statue or a boxed copy).

I'm really feeling August now, especially with Specializations + LA next week.

Finally ANET considers me a loyal customer and will let me in their BETAs.

luwk9AC.jpg

Fucking STOOOOOOOOKED at the trailer. Seems like a lot of content, and a mini-raid to take the Hall. (Two of them!)

I saw BIKES. BIKES!

Calling down airship defense in WvW? SOLID.

I'm really concerned that people will call that shit unbalanced because A) Large guild takes Stonemist B) said guild uses all their P2W to keep airships attacking 24/7

swtor already does this

Also, the decorations sound sweet, some of them will have collision, expect me to setup crazy jumping puzzles for Guild Missions extra bonus fun time happy awesomeness

Or instead of giving guildies lottery wins we save money to buy decorations with in-game gold.

nataku

I'll wait a few days and see how things go, but if they don't change things I wonder if they'll at least let me set up the second copy as a second account. I see no reason they shouldn't, but you never know.

Retro

I seriously hope not. There's a big grey area where someone might buy a gem store item and later be kicked from the guild; does the decoration go with them, are they out an item they paid for, does the game swipe it from the old guild? Seems like a bad idea.

Spyware

Dev tracker finally gave me something:

Regina Buenaobra said:
There is no boxed Ultimate Edition version of the game and no other editions of the game being offered beyond what you see on buy.guildwars2.com.

Regina Buenaobra said:
To clarify: $50 is the price of the expansion. We included the core game as a free bonus to make it easier for new players to get into it.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Are they not doing a physical release at all? Don't see any site but theirs with a preorder page up. This will make getting friends to buy me it for my birthday in two weeks more difficult. "JUST ENTER YOUR BILLING INFORMATION @ GUILDWARS.COM!" Man, I'm just gonna end up with cologne and AMC movie gift cards. :-/

Nvm, read that retailers will have it starting on the 23rd for preorder.

leng jai

I'm going to buy the $50 base pack and put in a ticket for a refund of the $60 I paid for the base game in 2012. I might come out of this fiasco $10 richer.

Retro

It's kind of a shame that a little bit better communication would have everyone in this thread gushing about how awesome Guild Halls look instead of being confused / agitated about the price point. I'd planned to buy the higher priced edition anyways, but it's still a bum deal for everyone who didn't and there doesn't seem to be any justification. It's so odd not to include a character slot, even if the $50 edition is meant as the point-of-entry for new players.

I hope there's a reversal on that, it would get them a lot of goodwill. The announcement thread is packed with people miffed about the price but outright angry about the character slot issue.

Are they not doing a physical release at all? Don't see any site but theirs with a preorder page up. This will make getting friends to buy me it for my birthday in two weeks more difficult. "JUST ENTER YOUR BILLING INFORMATION @ GUILDWARS.COM!" Man, I'm just gonna end up with cologne and AMC movie gift cards. :-/

Nvm, read that retailers will have it starting on the 23rd for preorder.

Spyware answered in the other thread, the FAQ says there will be retail copies for the regular and deluxe edition, but the Ultimate edition is online only (and there won't be any way to upgrade later). Of course, the only difference between deluxe and Ultimate is the $50 in gems you get for $25.

spiritfox

Did they mention if non-expack players can use the guild hall? I can see not being able to do special missions and such, but locking people out of the hall altogether will suck.

Retro

Did they mention if non-expack players can use the guild hall? I can see not being able to do special missions and such, but locking people out of the hall altogether will suck.

No answer on this yet that I've seen, but I sure as hell hope so. It's very disappointing to think that some of us won't be able to participate in stuff together.

Emitan

It sounds like the guild halls are physically located in the heart of maguuma so probably not

leng jai

It's kind of a shame that a little bit better communication would have everyone in this thread gushing about how awesome Guild Halls look instead of being confused / agitated about the price point. I'd planned to buy the higher priced edition anyways, but it's still a bum deal for everyone who didn't and there doesn't seem to be any justification. It's so odd not to include a character slot, even if the $50 edition is meant as the point-of-entry for new players.

I hope there's a reversal on that, it would get them a lot of goodwill. The announcement thread is packed with people miffed about the price but outright angry about the character slot issue.

Not really. With better communication the base price for all of us would still be $50 with no character slot which is what people are unhappy about. The poor communication is just an extension of a problem they've always had, except this time they don't have a better option that's been lost in translation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom