• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| We've got fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spyware

I hope there's a reversal on that, it would get them a lot of goodwill. The announcement thread is packed with people miffed about the price but outright angry about the character slot issue..
Yeah, adding an extra slot to every edition/purchase would be a simple way of "softening the blow". Standard gets game + 1 slot, the others get all the silly stuff and 2 slots instead of the one.

Retro

Not really. With better communication the base price for all of us would still be $50 with no character slot which is what people are unhappy about. The poor communication is just an extension of a problem they've always had, except this time they don't have a better option that's been lost in translation this time.

Yeah, fair enough, it's kind of ironic that in a post complaining about poor communication I kind of poorly communicated my point. Communication wouldn't make it better (though I still think having the in-game purchase option even mention "core game included" was just an awful idea). It's the lack of a release date and a clear list of features that isn't helping to sell people on why the expansion is worth the asking price.

Ashodin

Everytime a shitstorm like this happens, ANet is on top of it, so I fully expect them to respond in a big way in the next couple of days.

I know it looks like I said the same thing twice but it needs to be restated, dammit. Guild Halls are awesome and we are not even talking about them :(

Mxrz

Yeah, reddit mass downvoting anything that isnt bitching. Surprise.

Roughly how many in game gold does it cost to purchase a character slot. No longer have the game installed to check.
About 140-150, price has hovered around 150 for 800 gems for a good while.

Aquila

Can't wait for Heart of Thorns, FFXIV's Heavensward, and Swtor's Knights of the Fallen to all be out at the end of the year. There should be some fun fireworks comparing content vs price.

5il3nc3r

Yeah, reddit mass downvoting anything that isnt bitching. Surprise.

About 140-150, price has hovered around 150 for 800 gems for a good while.

At the current Gold to Gem rate, 180g.

Thanks. I have a feeling Anet will throw in a free character slot for the standard edition, if not i'll hold off purchasing the xpac till next year. Content in GW2 doesn't' really get outdated like in other MMOs so i'm not really in a rush.

Retro

So, there's going to be an Architect permission within guilds now to limit who can and cannot edit the decorations and such. On one hand, everyone should be able to tool around with that stuff, but on the other I wouldn't want to log in and find our elaborate layout turned into a dickbutt. Something we'll have to discuss (also, which Guild Hall we actually want since there are two).

Thanks. I have a feeling Anet will throw in a free character slot for the standard edition, if not i'll hold off purchasing the xpac till next year. Content in GW2 doesn't' really get outdated like in other MMOs so i'm not really in a rush.

I really feel like this is going to be a sticking point for a LOT of people and I hope they'll throw one in. I'm sure they're discussing it now, given the feedback they've already gotten. To be honest, I don't think it's unreasonable.

TOR is getting an expansion? Huh. Thought they were bailing water still.

From what I've read, calling it an expansion is really generous. They're kicking up the level cap by 5 levels and adding in a bunch of new storyline (nine episodes, not sure if that's a lot or a little) and that's about it. Story is all SWTOR really had going for it anyways though, so at least they're giving people more of what they want.

Of course, you get it for free if you're an active player, so that's insanely cool (and the comparison to the current fiasco about GW2 is not lost on me).

Xanathus

So, there's going to be an Architect permission within guilds now to limit who can and cannot edit the decorations and such. On one hand, everyone should be able to tool around with that stuff, but on the other I wouldn't want to log in and find our elaborate layout turned into a dickbutt. Something we'll have to discuss (also, which Guild Hall we actually want since there are two).

I read that you can freely switch between the two guild halls while keeping the upgrades so we could just switch between them every week to keep things interesting.

I wonder how capturing a Hall will be set up. I don't see it allowing all 500 members of a guild to take part, so just what will be the limit?

Xanathus

It resets the decorations though.

Does it really reset the decorations completely, or does it just keep track of the decorations for each guild hall so we can have decorations saved for each guild hall?

One thing I sorta dislike is that the capturing the hall event will be one-time only for the guild so it would hella suck to miss that.

Retro

Does it really reset the decorations completely, or does it just keep track of the decorations for each guild hall so we can have decorations saved for each guild hall?

One thing I sorta dislike is that the capturing the hall event will be one-time only for the guild so it would hella suck to miss that.

One of the interviews I linked to earlier said that it dumps all of the decorations back into the guild 'inventory' or whatever it's called.

And yeah, I dunno why there was emphasis placed on capturing your guild hall's plot when it's going to be a one-time deal. We'll have to see how they handle it.

Proven

We need to get the hall that's further in with cliffs that are perfect for gliding. Then we can make in-guild glide course competitions.

Also, if I had to guess, everytime you switch halls you have to redo the capture event. So that's something we could do once a month if we really want a change of pace.

Retro

We need to get the hall that's further in with cliffs that are perfect for gliding. Then we can make in-guild glide course competitions.

I want to see more details before I decide, but if that's the one with all the crazy bridges and waterfalls, then totally.

Also, if I had to guess, everytime you switch halls you have to redo the capture event. So that's something we could do once a month if we really want a change of pace.

Good way to force the guild decorators to mix it up, at least.

A free character slot will make the current fans of GW2 happy, but I'm afraid the $50 pricepoint in general will make a lot of dormant fans more hesitant to come back.

Squishy3

A free character slot will make the current fans of GW2 happy, but I'm afraid the $50 pricepoint in general will make a lot of dormant fans more hesitant to come back.
I know I'm probably not coming back. First thing I see is prepurchase goes up and pricing is $50 for expansion + core game, $75 for digital deluxe or $100 with the digital deluxe and $50 worth of gems, with the in-game upgrade being $50 too... no real incentive for players who lapsed.

With what apparently also remains to be seen of what the expansion content actually consists of, which I guess Arenanet has been really vague about. It's probably going to release this year, right? I feel like relative to when GW2 was coming out I could find out a lot more information about the base game long before release than I can for the expansion right now.

Might jump in when it inevitably goes on sale 6 months after release or whatever, but I have no interest in it as it stands right now.

Guild Halls have completely blown me away. The highlights for me:

1) Arena;, mean that we're effectively getting a sandbox for messing around. It can house Guild vs Guild battles, Dueling through one vs one. We can do lottery and betting. and spectate.
To me this is amazing. spvp is structured, and wvw is too chaotic to mess around without ruining it for others or getting ganked.
This is the relaxing lets-be-creative-trolls and go bananas.

2) Cross Guild chat; Now we can communicate when not representing the same guild! YESSSSSSSSSS.

3) A new tier of guild weapons and guild armors.

4) A new profession, Scribe which makes guild stuff. decoration, guild banners, guild wide buffs, and probably WvW things too.

5) Guild missions no longer require merit. can be launched at will, a new system will randomize new targets every week to make guild missions more varied.

6) Instant fast travel to the guild hall, and from the guild hall, the guild can pick a destination that make sure we all get on the same map. so we can invite 2-3 other guilds to do triple wurm and arrange it from our guild hall and we will all get on the same map without being split up.

7) while there is 2 guild halls in this expansion, the fact that you can change location on the fly and that progress will carry over, means in the next expansions, when we get Cantha, we can swap to that. YESSSSS

8) with the influence system being removed as a means of advancing small guilds are not at the mercy of larger guilds any longer.

---------------------

All of the above is more than I could have hoped for. I expected a cool instanced building with some merchants like in GW1.

Questions;

1) But will there be new guild missions? new guild puzzles? new guild treks? new guild bounties? they said the missions are changing to be the back end of the system which is great, but is there actually more?

2) how does it work for non guildies to come visit other peoples guilds?

3) if everyone hangs in their guild hall, will people still chill in cities?

4) Do I understand it correctly as in that the guild unlocks/growth is based on time, not on resources or merit?

5) everyone can place decorations and put things on the floor and remove chairs and stuff? If I decorate a nice room with a bed and some couches can other players mess with them?

6) how does the Arena work? are you just flagged for friendly fire? that would be interesting. if we are pracing in the arena and we are 2 vs 2, can I then hurt my teammate with AoE? And the pve buffs, foods, and consumeables will work?

7) Do we scale to lvl 80 in Guild Halls?

8) what is the player cap in a guild hall? can there be 500 players in there at once? (max guild size)

9) will it be possible for the guild to set a guild tax so automatically 0,5% of all looted coin gets absorbed directly into the guild bank (some MMOs have this feature).

10) guild capes? hoods? guild glider? does the scribe make all these things?

11) will the new set of guild armor and guild weapons still cost guild commendations?

I know I'm probably not coming back. First thing I see is prepurchase goes up and pricing is $50 for expansion + core game, $75 for digital deluxe or $100 with the digital deluxe and $50 worth of gems, with the in-game upgrade being $50 too... no real incentive for players who lapsed.

With what apparently also remains to be seen of what the expansion content actually consists of, which I guess Arenanet has been really vague about. It's probably going to release this year, right? I feel like relative to when GW2 was coming out I could find out a lot more information about the base game long before release than I can for the expansion right now.

Might jump in when it inevitably goes on sale 6 months after release or whatever, but I have no interest in it as it stands right now.

It's a shame you feel that way, and you will be missed:( As you said, (and I feel the same sentiment) it remains to be seen if the value of the product can justify the price.
I too, am confused about how much actual content is there.

Everything about this expansion is untraditional; look at SWTOR, Destiny, FFXIV - They are all getting expansions with level increases and higher tiers of gear. GW2 goes in another direction, with the added element of them saying that there will actually not be a massive new landmass because they don't want to do make a drought. But then at the same time they are talking about multiplayered "dome" areas where the jungle functions in a bottom, mid and top level, and all those levels feels like different zones depending on if it is night or day (think Dragons Dogma, where all hell breaks loose and crazy monsters and events appear during night).

there is one new wvw map, one new spvp map, and those will be available to people who dont purchase the expansion.
The new elite specialization or revernant will not be numeracally stronger, so you should not be at a disadvantage power wise if you are not interested in the new content. You might still find enjoyment in the core game, just like many people who only owned one or two gw1 campaigns.
ArenaNet wowed not to force players into buying expansions by making power creeps hiding within. new classes and new skills meant more choice, but not stronger.

I dont want to play the betatest, so I will wait with repurchasing. the site I usually buy games from sells the games cheaper than what they cost new on steam, origin and so on. I hope HoT will also come in at 35-40 dollars. It was what I made for my Witcher 3 gog code, meanwhile now it is crazy expensive on Steam.

zulux21

I dont want to play the betatest, so I will wait with repurchasing. the site I usually buy games from sells the games cheaper than what they cost new on steam, origin and so on. I hope HoT will also come in at 35-40 dollars. It was what I made for my Witcher 3 gog code, meanwhile now it is crazy expensive on Steam.

greenmangaming sells guild wars 2 and constantly has 20% off coupons for most things on their site, I wouldn't be surprised if we could at least preorder it from GMG for $40.

that being said, since I need two copies (one for me and one for my wife) and I am still only in the 40s level wise I will likely wait for a good sale ($15 per copy most likely)

xeris

Yeah it pretty much means I'm out until a sale. I can't justify the cost since most of the stuff that would directly affect me is in the patch anyway. Twenty bucks would have been day one. Thirty I might have pre-ordered or waited for launch to shake out. Fifty is in no way in hell territory since with the way I play (almost no end-game and leveling the next alt in line when one hits 80) means only the new class is something I'd experience.

Morokh

The price is about what I expected with no sub fees, but whoever thought of this 'free base game' thing and didn't think that the people who already own the game would feel like they 'lost' something or are getting 'less' needs to go back to basic marketing class asap .....

I seriously hope not. There's a big grey area where someone might buy a gem store item and later be kicked from the guild; does the decoration go with them, are they out an item they paid for, does the game swipe it from the old guild? Seems like a bad idea.

The issue already exists with the items available in the preorder options sadly :/

Guild halls look cool from what I saw so far, but I still need to catch-up on everything :p

Aquila

Depending upon how each guild hall map is set up and what kind of decorations there are, each guild member could have their own little apartment/nook.

Unless the Cave has a beautiful ascetic, the Canyon guild hall has my vote just because of better glider functionality.

At the minimum they should give everyone who already owns the base game an extra character slot for Revenant.

I knew they wouldn't give us an extra character slot unless it was a LE edition, so i saved up the gold and bought an extra character slot for Rev 4 months ago, i based this fact on, Eye of the North GW1 first expansion no extra character slot..

I am going to think of the price as investment in expansion and the next 2 living stories (I hope they keep doing). Just paying upfront for content that will come out "for free" later.

I really didn't think about the "core game is included" point when I purchased but I think if anything changes I would be happy for $10 equivalent worth of gems to make up for the core game included part.

Ashodin

Yeah it pretty much means I'm out until a sale. I can't justify the cost since most of the stuff that would directly affect me is in the patch anyway. Twenty bucks would have been day one. Thirty I might have pre-ordered or waited for launch to shake out. Fifty is in no way in hell territory since with the way I play (almost no end-game and leveling the next alt in line when one hits 80) means only the new class is something I'd experience.
Reading this makes me scared ArenaNet are going to try to get as much money as possible from the hardcore fans right now who will pay anything, and then drop the price later without warning.

Xanathus

I'm getting the impression from the lack of announced content for HoT and the way Colin talked about Guild Halls that Guild Halls is going to be only accessible by people who own HoT...

Proven

I'm getting the impression from the lack of announced content for HoT and the way Colin talked about Guild Halls that Guild Halls is going to be only accessible by people who own HoT...
I doubt it. It sounds more like Guild Halls can only be claimed by guilds that have X members with HoT (with X being the minimum amount needed to capture the hall).

Afterwards there'll be a instant port button on the guild window.

Retro

Updated the OT with prices / link to pre-purchase page and a little horn-tooting of my own.

Depending upon how each guild hall map is set up and what kind of decorations there are, each guild member could have their own little apartment/nook.

That would be cool, but I don't know how well something like that will work. I don't know if we'll have that much space and I'm sure there's some kind of cap on how much decor you can add. We need more details, which we should be getting this week (they mentioned last night that there's going to be a stream on Friday about Guild Halls).

Reading this makes me scared ArenaNet are going to try to get as much money as possible from the hardcore fans right now who will pay anything, and then drop the price later without warning.

They dropped the price of the game by $10 in May 2013, 9 months after launch. Would that be considered that 'getting as much money as possible from the hardcore fans' too? The reality of game sales (hell, all sales) is that price drops spur sales after the initial rush tapers off. Looking back and saying "I paid $60 for the game, giving it away free with the expansion is just milking the hardcore fans" (as I've seen some people actually say on Reddit) ignores the time spent playing over the past three years.

Now, if they drop the price a week after release, then maybe you have a case. That's kind of a bleak outlook though, but people everywhere seem to be in that mindset so...

I doubt it. It sounds more like Guild Halls can only be claimed by guilds that have X members with HoT (with X being the minimum amount needed to capture the hall).

Afterwards there'll be a instant port button on the guild window.

They've said Guild Halls will be available for both large and small guilds, so X could in theory be as low as one.... and even if it is higher, I have no doubt some people are going to spam-recruit a bunch of people to unlock halls and then kick everyone out so they can have private halls all to themselves.

Quenk

I don't think it will happen but I'd be happy if they added a caveat along the lines of "if you already own the core game, you'll unlock an extra character slot"

Gaile posted on Reddit about the expansion pricing:

Hey all. We're super happy to be launching pre-purchase of Heart of Thorns! We just want to let you know that $50 is the price of the expansion. We included the core game as a free bonus to make it easier for new players to get into it. There won’t be any other HoT editions, fyi.

ProHeals also posted about helping out people that recently bought the core game

We'll most certainly help anyone out who just bought the core game and would like to make the change to a HoT pre-purchase.

Moondrop

Banned
This furor somewhat validates one of my longstanding GW2 theories- that the health of the game is predicated on attracting new players, not retaining old ones.

On the other hand perhaps it's just a failure of communication between their business people and those who actually understand the game. I know for certain there's been a failure because as I evaluate the three options, none of them are appealing. The centerpiece content of the expansion (as far as I'm concerned) is the new profession, and yet purchasing only gives me access if I haven't used up the character slots from my previous purchase years ago? That's a clear mistake by Anet.

I will not be pre-purchasing until the last minute or they throw in a character slot.

Although I'm definitely excited for the time when "1v1 me bro" will be met with "let's go- right here, right now."

Retro

3:00 pm - New Build in 10 minutes!

3:01 to 3:05 pm - Break your F5 key refreshing the Update Notes page to see if the notes are up, Kos still links to them first anyways.

3:10 - Downloading. WhyIsItGoingSoSlowWTFANET.

3:15 - Still downloading. Make angry post.

3:17 - Check Mumble to see if anyone is getting on to chat. It's just Retro hanging out in there by himself...

3:18 pm - Close Mumble. What a creep.

3:20 pm - One file left. 0 kb. WhyHaveYouForsakenMe

3:25 pm - Update is live. Log into all of your characters to get all of your Spirit Shards, Geodes, Bandit Keys, etc. deposited into the Wallet. For some people this will take approximately 5 minutes. For Spyware and Xeris, it will take... Tuesday.

3:30 pm - Head to LA.

3:31 pm - Ask for ferry into the right LA. Fuck, it's full, hold on, let's go to yours. Alright, who needs a ferry, /join on me. Fuck, it's full now too. Anyone in an empty LA?

3:35 pm - A candlelight vigil at whatever building replaces our bar in memory of all the months we lost not gathering at our bar.

3:36 pm - Celebrate as the first "they didn't add anything in this update"-type comment is made in map chat.

3:40 pm - A solemn procession through the city streets for all the people who played the game for a couple hours three years ago and just dropped by to let us us know they're totally not buying the expansion.

3:45 pm - Stop and pay tribute to all of the <class you play> that were "nerfed to shit" in this update.

3:50 pm - Stop and celebrate how all of the <class you don't play> are "OP as fuck" now.

4:00 pm - /Dance Party. Refreshments will include Omnomberry Bars and "the Kool-Aid" we all supposedly drink.

4:10 pm - Everyone spreads out and runs around shrieking about the ohmygodthisissoawesome new thing they just found in LA.

4:12 pm - Revive gravity-challenged guildmates falling off all the tall shit they're trying to climb up. You know who you are.

4:15 pm - Alt-tab, check Reddit.

4:16 pm - Check blood pressure after massive intake of salt.

4:20 pm - Remember to turn back on the Music. Holy shit, that new LA music is awesome.

4:30 pm - Wander out into the world to play, wonder why you feel so weak, realize your traits were reset.

4:31 pm - Oh right, they're not traits anymore, they're specializations.

4:32 pm to Bedtime - Stand in one spot in LA, tweaking your spec, reading about builds and being paralyzed by all of the changes, unless you're one of those Evil Theorycrafters who had the foresight to figure this shit out when it was announced, you smart cookie you.

4:27 am - Wake up suddenly in a panic. Get on your PC to check GAF and calm your nerves. Accidentally open Mumble, Retro is still hanging out in there alone. Fucking Creep.

I'm definitely buying but, the price seems high to me for the content I was expecting to be in it. I'm probably wrong about that though; I hope anyways. I'll wait and see how this plays out some before ordering though.

The extra character slot I thought would have been a given since they're adding a new class and especially with the $50 price point. I hope they add at least one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom