• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| We've got fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retro

Why are you on Mumble you creep.

I sit in the AFK channel all the time so if we have issues with the server I can tell how long it was down for when I report the outage to our host. Luckily, that hasn't happened in a while, but old habits die hard.

Honest Answer: I'm a creep.

Quenk

I sit in the AFK channel all the time so if we have issues with the server I can tell how long it was down for when I report the outage to our host. Luckily, that hasn't happened in a while, but old habits die hard.

Honest Answer: I'm a creep.

mJN3hv5.jpg

Anyway, I hope that I'll have enough hero points on all my characters to get at least one solid build and set of skills I'm likely to use.

Quenk

So I need to go do skill challenges on my characters without world completion or something, right.

The numbers that were thrown around earlier were 400 hero points from reaching level 80 (patch notes said 398) and then you'll need 65 skill challenges to reach 465/465

398/465 is ~86% which hopefully is enough to unlock a couple core specs and most skills

Retro

Crust almighty, as much as I loaf a good pun you knead to stop.

So I need to go do skill challenges on my characters without world completion or something, right.

I feel like we've discussed this before and it lead to an argument (not specifically with you, I don't think), so let me pre-face this by saying I'm just going on memory and my math may be wrong or the numbers may have changed.

Anyways, I'm pretty sure if you've already done world completion you'll have a surplus of Hero Points. Maybe not a huge stockpile, but more than one character should need, I believe.

Moondrop

Banned
I feel like we've discussed this before and it lead to an argument (not specifically with you, I don't think), so let me pre-face this by saying I'm just going on memory and my math may be wrong or the numbers may have changed.

Anyways, I'm pretty sure if you've already done world completion you'll have a surplus of Hero Points. Maybe not a huge stockpile, but more than one character should need, I believe.
I believe we argued, but I had some of the hazy hero point details wrong. Such as I assumed hero points were on a per character basis. But if they are indeed pooled across the account as the evidence now suggests, then there's no need to send each alt to grind out 60 skill challenges.

Moondrop

Banned
I should have plenty then. Yay.
I could be wrong about the account-bound vs. character-bound hero points. I'm mostly basing the account-bound argument on the number in the upper left of this image from the wiki:
But if hero points are indeed character-bound, then I maintain you should be doing a tour of 60 skill points.

Quenk

I was under the impression that they were character bound but it would be cool if it was shared across an account. Other than elite specs, completing more skill challenges wouldn't be that useful otherwise, right?

Retro

I believe we argued, but I had some of the hazy hero point details wrong. Such as I assumed hero points were on a per character basis. But if they are indeed pooled across the account as the evidence now suggests, then there's no need to send each alt to grind out 60 skill challenges.

Yeah, I was pretty sure it was you and I discussing it but I wasn't sure and didn't want to name anyone. Either way, we'll have to wait and see but I'm hoping it won't be too grindy. I can't remember off the top of my head if they're account bound or not, but I believe so. The wiki doesn't say which seems like it'd be... kind of important. I guess we'll find out in a week.

Tech-Wolf

Anyone want to help me move on Friday?

I guess I could, if it could save me from this awful friday. Although I'm gonna need some plane ticket first.

On a side question I still don't know which one to buy.
In term or price worth:
Standard (50$) is standard. for a net of 50$.
Deluxe (75$) is standard (50$) + a character slot (those are 10$) + fluff (0$). for a net of 60$. In other word you pay for an overprice character slot (25$)
Ultimate(100$) is standard (50$) + gem bought normally (4000gems = 5 x 800 which 800 gems is 10$ which equal to 50$) + a character slot (10$) + fluff (0$). for a net of 110$. In other word you get a free Character slot.

*note that those price does not consider plausible gem sale card nor character slot sale

**I consider the fluff (mini, finisher, guild decoration and glider skin) to be pointless and priceless as a personal term of need like most preorder store exclusive.

So all in all, standard or ultimate (if you're ok with buying gem with real money) is the best bang for your buck.

Now, I don't know what to get >.<

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I guess I could, if it could save me from this awful friday. Although I'm gonna need some plane ticket first.

In term or price worth:
Deluxe (75$) is standard (50$) + a character slot (those are 10$) + fluff (0$). for a net of 60$. In other word you pay for an overprice character slot (25$)
Ultimate(100$) is standard (50$) + gem bought normally (4000gems = 5 x 800 which 800 gems is 10$ which equal to 50$) + a character slot (10$) + fluff (0$). for a net of 110$. In other word you get a free Character slot.

*note that those price does not consider plausible gem sale card nor character slot sale

**I consider the fluff (mini, finisher, guild decoration and glider skin) to be pointless and priceless as a personal term of need like most preorder store exclusive.

So all in all, standard or ultimate (if you're ok with buying gem with real money) is the best bang for your buck.

Assuming they're charging tax on the game bundles, that Ultimate edition is a wash with no savings. $50 for the game $50 for $50 of gems, tax will equal the cost of a character slot if purchased normally or on a sale. You just end up with fluff. Note that tax is never charged to Gem Cards since they're rung up as gift cards.

If the ultimate edition was available at brick and mortar stores, I would pick it up. The Best Buy 20% off Games Club Unlocked would make it a deal.

Can I get a plane ticket too? The Mississauga - Mississauga flight will be great.
Those are too expensive.

Nevermind. You guys are asking for too much just help me move.

Already have enough people helping me. Also moving 1 bed room apt to 3 bedroom house, so barely any furniture to move.

You're moving to Mississauga? Ewww
What is wrong with Sauga? At least I don't live in Kitchener.

Assuming they're charging tax on the game bundles, that Ultimate edition is a wash with no savings. $50 for the game $50 for $50 of gems, tax will equal the cost of a character slot if purchased normally or on a sale. You just end up with fluff. Note that tax is never charged to Gem Cards since they're rung up as gift cards.

If the ultimate edition was available at brick and mortar stores, I would pick it up. The Best Buy 20% off Games Club Unlocked would make it a deal.

I wasn't charged tax for the Ultimate bundle. Since the product is made in Washington state, that might be the only state to charge tax for the game.

In term or price worth:

Your analysis only works for you. The fluff to some people is very important. I mean I wont buy the deluxe or ultimate edition but mainly because just like you I see no value in them.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I couldn't possibly care less about the PR-related nonsense and I certainly don't feel like some nerfarious fleecing of longtime customers is taking place for greed's sake. Seeing the comments that are starting to come from ANet's side, someone who counts obviously took a hard line with this pricing. The marketing and customer communications teams knew they were going to be taking a lot of crap for it, and I'm not indifferent to their need to put box sales back on the map or the resource investment that goes into a project like this.

Unfortunately, $50 is just too high an asking price for the expansion alone. $20 was a ludicrous dream, but I had expected no higher than $45 at most and had been sincerely hoping for more aggressive options for owners of the base game. I had mentioned before that the only numbers I cared about in terms of what was coming with Heart of Thorns were the price and release date. I expected the release date to come first, but certainly at the very least expected them to arrive together. Without the date, I'm being asked to plunk down the cash and wait some nebulous amount of time to get anything for it, and that's unappealing at any price... but specifically unpleasant at this one. This is all particularly unfortunate because I have no desire whatsoever to partake in Beta Weekend Events for the expansion. I loved them before the game released because I was starving just for the ability to be in the world and adjust to the controls and mechanics; I enjoyed the Edge of the Mists and Stronghold betas because they were feedback-centric and could actually contribute to their release, and were also non-narrative additions to the base game. But for me taking part in any beta events of HoT would merely be spoiling things I want to experience "for real" when it comes out, for no benefit. So there's no value there in the $50 to me, and I can live without the title; in other words, there's not the slightest reason for me to prepurchase the standard edition before instead of waiting to see if there are any deals prior to whenever the release ends up being, or otherwise only consider buying it afterward. That can't have been what they wanted.

This is certainly compounded by the fact that the aspect of the expansion I've by far been looking the most forward to is the new profession, and of course that necessitates a slot. At a hard dollar-gem-slot conversion that raises the effective cost of the expansion for a player like me to $59.99. I knew I got a % off deal from GMG for the original game and a quick sift through my email shows that I paid $53.96 for it, placing us firmly in ridiculous territory at this point. By all rights the expansion looks great to me and includes many features that are truly exciting, but no one is remotely attempting to position it as equivalent in value to the base game at launch. There is simply no chance that I'll pay more for it. I never expected I would be asked to do that, even if the project had been doubled in scope and size from whatever it is right now. Truth be told, even $50 with a character slot is quite steep and would remain more than I expected. I could dive into the game and grind for the gold to convert and buy the slot, and for the moment that's the best option I can come up with, but I'm not sure I have the patience.

There is good news for brand new players as $50 is a deal, even a great deal, for both the base game and the expansion; it's just deeply unclear what the value of each is determined to be at this point, and the standard edition has shallow appeal to existing accounts. The Deluxe edition feels shockingly worse: with the $10 factored in for the character slot, we're talking $15 for- while I'm a fan of shiny digital junk, personally- shiny digital junk. However, the Ultimate edition is a legitimately good deal. Depending on your perspective, you get the expansion and a $50 gem card plus a free character slot and shiny digital junk, or the expansion and a character slot, plus a $10 discount on a $50 gem card and free shiny digital junk. It's the only option I'd personally consider right now, and it is appealing to just buy it as I'm seeing other veterans here do. However, when I run into this situation (feeling pressured to buy a more expensive option I don't specifically desire because of how poor the value of the base option is), my instinct is just to shut down and do nothing, and that's where I'm at now.

To add one final point, this comment:
We'll most certainly help anyone out who just bought the core game and would like to make the change to a HoT pre-purchase.
Is meant to be a show of good faith, as unwitting buyers from now until whenever release is could be rather screwed by having to double-up on purchases. In practice, however, this stance basically creates a bizarre lattice of overlapping price points, none of which currently make a whole lot of sense. It's clear ArenaNet wants to simply do away with selling the base game at all long term, and that may prove a wise move; but for the moment, the Heroic Edition retails for $39.99... if someone "makes the change" to a HoT pre-purchase and are charged the $10 difference, they're nominally getting the expansion for that $10. But then what of anyone who recently bought (or buys in an upcoming external) a base game key for less than that- as low as $10. Do they demonstrate proof of purchase and then pay whatever the difference between what they paid and $50 is? Pay some fixed amount (that won't be made public) establishing the "true value" of HoT? How about the Digital Deluxe Edition currently available for $59.99? 10 more than the standard HoT, 15 less than the Deluxe. Do they get the expansion for "free"? A $10 refund to match the prepurchase price, and the original digital download items for free? Or still a $10 charge, considering the value of the digital items to be $20 in spite of the new expansion pricing? Just to round out this mess with the absolute most ridiculous case, what if someone decides to splurge on the Original boxed Collector's Edition for ~$200? Expansion included? Partial refund? Laughable $10 charge despite having already paid over twice the Ultimate edition of HoT prepurchase?

This is all a bit like someone asked me to describe the worst case scenario of GW2's pricing model- something I've long been and remain a champion of. Regardless of whether or not they offer any peace offerings as a result of the dustup or just hold a hard line this time around, I don't expect it to be replicated next time.

edit: Yikes. Not often I feel lucky to be in Florida :p

Spyware

US taxes makes my head spin. My tax is 20&#8364; but it's baked into the 99&#8364; price already. Went with the most expensive version since it's the expansion + 50&#8364; in gems + a bunch of silly fluff for the same price as the expansion + gems would be any day before release anyway. I know I'll buy gems sooner or later so it's an okay "deal" even tho I don't really care about any of the fluff and the charslot is gonna sit unused. I don't need a 47th one, especially since I already had one extra from the key farming days.

3:25 pm - Update is live. Log into all of your characters to get all of your Spirit Shards, Geodes, Bandit Keys, etc. deposited into the Wallet. For some people this will take approximately 5 minutes. For Spyware and Xeris, it will take... Tuesday.
This whole thing was amazing and I giggled way too much at this part :)

Wanderer5

Eh would have been nice to throw in a character slot with the standard, but I don't really have issues with the $50, especially to a expansion of a MMO that doesn't have a subscription fee. You have FF XIV expansion that $40 and worse the last WoW expansion at $50, but also a subscription fee. I probably just stick to standard.

Also lol I had joke about airships being use for WvW, and now it will be a reality in ways, but eh not too thrill of that.XD Guild Halls looks neat!

Spyware

Without the date, I'm being asked to plunk down the cash and wait some nebulous amount of time to get anything for it, and that's unappealing at any price... but specifically unpleasant at this one. This is all particularly unfortunate because I have no desire whatsoever to partake in Beta Weekend Events for the expansion. [...] So there's no value there in the $50 to me, and I can live without the title; in other words, there's not the slightest reason for me to prepurchase the standard edition before instead of waiting to see if there are any deals prior to whenever the release ends up being, or otherwise only consider buying it afterward. That can't have been what they wanted.
Asked, yes. Of course they'll ask.
It's maybe not what they wanted but it's completely logical and they know it. With little hard info on what we're actually getting and no interest in the beta, many people won't get it right now and they know that. Hopefully they will start infobombing us now to win you over... and make people like me who threw money at them in semi-blind faith feel good about doing that :)

The implementation of guild halls seems really creative and fun
Sad thing is because of this price kerfuffle, no one is really seeing how awesome Guild Halls sound and look.

What is the price of ultimate edition in canada? I can't check it in game store atm. Also, did you get taxe, if so incoming 15% taxe wohoo!
I don't remember, I bought it in game last night. Just checked my visa and I got charged that amount so yeah. I guess with exchange rate if Americans bought it Canada they would get it for cheaper.

Retro

The biggest problem with the $50 price point is that we have a ton of great people who, for what ever reason, won't be jumping in right away.

What is the price of ultimate edition in canada?
380 Moosepennies, 12 Canoe Tokens and 8 Royal Ladymarks. You can also trade 7 bags of milk, 2 pairs of moccasins, 14 family-sized microwave poutine platters and a kilogram of beaver pelts.

Moondrop

Banned
I guess with exchange rate if Americans bought it Canada they would get it for cheaper.
380 Moosepennies, 12 Canoe Tokens and 8 Royal Ladymarks. You can also trade 7 bags of milk, 2 pairs of moccasins, 14 family-sized microwave poutine platters and a kilogram of beaver pelts.
Economics is hard. I'm an American in Canada who was planning to use an American credit card when I finally break down. Perhaps I drive my PC across the border and order from the US side?

Tech-Wolf

I just did a quick conversation of US$ to CAD$, 100$us = 123,08$cad, based by the bank of Canada. credit card conversion must be slightly different so, if you were really billed for 126$cad, that means you probably didn't get any taxe on your purchase.

The biggest problem with the $50 price point is that we have a ton of great people who, for what ever reason, won't be jumping in right away.

How much is that in Timbits&#8482;?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Gotta admire the effort they are putting into creating something that can stand as more than a private outpost for city NPC services.
Activate Player Creativity: Beyond a fun place to gather and socialize, we want guild halls to be spaces where you can create content for each other. These maps are huge by design, giving you plenty of space to amuse and entertain. Over time, you’ll gain access to more tools to support that.
This is particularly ambitious and I'm pretty suprised that they'd actually use the phrase "create content." Vague, but that does have all sorts of implications. I wonder where they're aiming to go with this.

The other implication that got me is that each hall has some actual lore associated with it, I certainly wouldn't have assumed that to be the case. Pretty cool.

zulux21

with the announcement of the expansion preorder I forgot to post this yesterday.

If you are planning on trying out wildstar when it goes free to play you can currently get the game for a month for $1 (plus a number of other things but wild star is the only thing of somewhat relevance here) they haven't announced what if anything you will get for being a previous owner of the game (only announced stuff if you have subbed for a long time) but I figured some people in here might be interested.

I do wonder where all will get the expansion for sale.
I mean assuming green man gaming gets it we could count on a 10-20% discount code before launch.
if best buy gets a physical version of some sort (even if it's just a code to be shipped) 20% could be saved there with GCU.

with the announcement of the expansion preorder I forgot to post this yesterday.

If you are planning on trying out wildstar when it goes free to play you can currently get the game for a month for $1 (plus a number of other things but wild star is the only thing of somewhat relevance here) they haven't announced what if anything you will get for being a previous owner of the game (only announced stuff if you have subbed for a long time) but I figured some people in here might be interested.

I do wonder where all will get the expansion for sale.
I mean assuming green man gaming gets it we could count on a 10-20% discount code before launch.
if best buy gets a physical version of some sort (even if it's just a code to be shipped) 20% could be saved there with GCU.
Actually they have announced wildstar benefits for paid accounts. http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/n...oing-free-to-play-heres-all-you-need-to-know/

Minamu

As I'm unemployed for the foreseeable future, this pricing isn't working for me at the moment. And even if it did, my card is currently blocked so I can't preorder anyway xD The standard price is basically the whole 1$ = 1€ over here last I checked so this expansion is just like buying a brand new game, though a bit cheaper, with very few incentives like a character slot. We can only assume the content is good enough to warrant the price right now as we know next to nothing about it, further limiting the appeal :/ Right now, I'll be waiting for a stand-alone price like we all assumed was coming, or one of those half off sales, I'm sorry to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom