• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| We've got fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashodin

FRIDAY GIVE IT TO ME

Guild Halls: Missions for All
Guild Halls: From Pen to Production to Placement
Guild Objective Claiming in World vs. World
Introducing PvP Guild Teams

hnnnnnnnnnghhhhhhhh

Zeroth

If anything, this salt storm is bringing all the people who hated X thing or the lack of Y out of the woodwork so they can yell loudly too about their stuff. Reading some of the top upvoted comments on reddit and they usually come from people who were already jaded about the game and now found themselves with a megaphone.

Not that this dismisses any criticism toward the situation, but it's an amusing phenomenon to watch.

Ludovico

Hey all, prodigal son soon returning to the game (again).

Pretty excited about HoT, but the fact that we STILL don't have a date is crazy.
I survived my first year of teaching (is why I've been away for so long), but I'll be jumping back into the game here soon and finishing up the LS2 content I've yet to see. Can't wait to see you guys. Also, map chat should be great this time of year.

Proven

Like Hawkian, at the current setup I'm better off waiting for a bit and eventually grabbing the $100 package to get the most value from $50 game + $50 in gems + $10 character slot. I need to buy gems eventually for some makeover kits as I've decided to change some genders of my characters.

But I also live in NYC, so thanks to tax I have a little extra incentive to see if they get through this PR shitstorm with added value to the base option.

That said, from the blog posts I'm most interested on WvW integration to guild halls and whether the guild hall arenas will allow the GvG people to get what they want.

Morokh

If anything, this salt storm is bringing all the people who hated X thing or the lack of Y out of the woodwork so they can yell loudly too about their stuff. Reading some of the top upvoted comments on reddit and they usually come from people who were already jaded about the game and now found themselves with a megaphone.

Not that this dismisses any criticism toward the situation, but it's an amusing phenomenon to watch.

On the other hand you have people who always were pretty supportive and far far away from any sort of exxagerated critisism also expressing their concerns or unhappyness with the pre-order situation for once ...

That to me is a strong sign that they really done goofed ! :p

Personally I expected this price for the base game, but after realizing that the two special editions weren't that good, I read about the free vanilla game for new buyers and that's what threw me off.

It's kind of stupid to blame Anet for including the base game for free when you purchase HoT, and I understand why they would do it, but as someone who wants to buy the same thing, I can't help but think "they get a cool bonus, what do I get ?"
We all bought the same thing, and we will all be playing the same thing in the end.

It's all a matter of perception, but that matters when you want to sell a product, your buyers need to feel that they have their money's worth, or that you gave them more than what they paid for.
Handling things like they did they basically made a lot of people feel like they were getting less than new players, and that's not even counting people that weren't entirely convinced with what Anet showed of the content so far.

I mean, I also Play Path of Exile, who's a F2P game that's basically funded with a cash shop very similar to the one in GW2, and on top of that they sell 'supporter' packs that have exclusive weapon and armor skins you can only find in those, and those packs always contain the latest version of the OST of the game.
If you already own that version of the OST when you buy a new pack, they give you additional ingame currency to compensate for the OST.
Simple as that.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Like Hawkian, at the current setup I'm better off waiting for a bit and eventually grabbing the $100 package to get the most value from $50 game + $50 in gems + $10 character slot. I need to buy gems eventually for some makeover kits as I've decided to change some genders of my characters.
That's definitely where I'm at. well except for the gender thing.

$100 isn't prohibitively expensive for me, but I just got the keys to a new apartment yesterday and could definitely stand to save some cash for a while. I never expected to pay anything more than the cheapest option regardless of extras, but it is totally up in the air now. Assuming that nothing changes and they do get 100 bucks from both of us, I suppose it could be much worse as a shrewd financial move on their part. Just doesn't feel particularly good.

I haven't ruled out grinding up the ~170 gold to buy the character slot in-game either. Really I just need to know when this thing comes out.

Zeroth

On the other hand you have people who always were pretty supportive and far far away from any sort of exxagerated critisism also expressing their concerns or unhappyness with the pre-order situation for once ...

That to me is a strong sign that they really done goofed ! :p

Personally I expected this price for the base game, but after realizing that the two special editions weren't that good, I read about the free vanilla game for new buyers and that's what threw me off.

It's kind of stupid to blame Anet for including the base game for free when you purchase HoT, and I understand why they would do it, but as someone who wants to buy the same thing, I can't help but think "they get a cool bonus, what do I get ?"
We all bought the same thing, and we will all be playing the same thing in the end.

It's all a matter of perception, but that matters when you want to sell a product, your buyers need to feel that they have their money's worth, or that you gave them more than what they paid for.
Handling things like they did they basically made a lot of people feel like they were getting less than new players, and that's not even counting people that weren't entirely convinced with what Anet showed of the content so far.

I mean, I also Play Path of Exile, who's a F2P game that's basically funded with a cash shop very similar to the one in GW2, and on top of that they sell 'supporter' packs that have exclusive weapon and armor skins you can only find in those, and those packs always contain the latest version of the OST of the game.
If you already own that version of the OST when you buy a new pack, they give you additional ingame currency to compensate for the OST.
Simple as that.

Oh, definitely. I know there are people who are not the usual suspects that also have strong feelings about this, it wasnt my intention to deny it. I was just commenting on how funny it is to see some characters making use of this situation to voice their criticism about other stuff.

I cant say much about the base game included thing other than I wish they would mail the base gw2 game code to current players so I could gift it to someone else. In some ways I feel this debacle is kinda like complaining about GotY rereleases, but I dont have strong feelings either way and I just want more HoT info because I'm thirsty as heck.

That's definitely where I'm at. well except for the gender thing.

$100 isn't prohibitively expensive for me, but I just got the keys to a new apartment yesterday and could definitely stand to save some cash for a while. I never expected to pay anything more than the cheapest option regardless of extras, but it is totally up in the air now. Assuming that nothing changes and they do get 100 bucks from both of us, I suppose it could be much worse as a shrewd financial move on their part. Just doesn't feel particularly good.

I haven't ruled out grinding up the ~170 gold to buy the character slot in-game either. Really I just need to know when this thing comes out.

I'm in the same boat, sans the grinding gold part. It makes the most sense to buy the $100 version but, I don't want to buy that version. I really don't want to spend $100 on this expansion. It's not that I can't afford it, I just don't want to do it.

On the other hand, I wanted to buy the $50 version but, I'll end up buying the gems for a character slot, or the next cat mini they put up, so I might as well get the upgrade.

I don't know, honestly. I need to wait and see how things play out. I'll definitely get it before or on day one but, what version and with what level of good will remains to be seen.

You all know $100 is a steal for this game based on how much content they release, and how much ANET supports it.

Every feature that has been shown so far it has been awesome and whatever "challenging group content" is it will be awesome as well. Not like they are going to scrap that feature after they take your money.

Retro

You're moving to Mississauga? Ewww
What is wrong with Sauga? At least I don't live in Kitchener.
I don't live in Kitchener, but good point.

Stop making up names for places that don't exist.

Yeah, I use Reddit Expansion Suite to assign tags to people with absurd complaints about the game so I can see them pop up again and again. Scrolling through Reddit they're all out in force today. One particularly frothy fellow suggested a class action lawsuit because they changed the FAQ.

Quenk

One particularly frothy fellow suggested a class action lawsuit because they changed the FAQ.

Haha I saw that topic. I needed a good laugh today.

Regarding guild halls, hopefully we'll be able to get a good time for everyone to participate in the claiming of it. It would be fun to have a large guild event for that.

Retro

Haha I saw that topic. I needed a good laugh today.

I have that delightful individual marked in bright red with a tag that reads "WARNING: reading this post may cause cancer."

You've gotta find a way to amuse yourself to stay young.

nataku

Yeah, I use Reddit Expansion Suite to assign tags to people with absurd complaints about the game so I can see them pop up again and again. Scrolling through Reddit they're all out in force today. One particularly frothy fellow suggested a class action lawsuit because they changed the FAQ.

I... didn't know you could do that with RES. I'm going to have to look into that, because it sounds entertaining.

Minamu

You all know $100 is a steal for this game based on how much content they release, and how much ANET supports it.

Every feature that has been shown so far it has been awesome and whatever "challenging group content" is it will be awesome as well. Not like they are going to scrap that feature after they take your money.
Assuming you have those 100 dollars. About a third of my rent when converted to €.

Retro

So Tomorrow and Friday are going to basically be Guild Information overload. At this point I'm most concerned with how the structure for Guild Missions might be changing since I really enjoy having everyone get on at the same time to do something together.

That and how much time I'm going to spend making the Guild Hall pretty... people who played Terraria / Starbound with me know what's coming. We'll need to coordinate which decor item people are getting from the deluxe /ultimate editions so we have plenty to goof around with.

I... didn't know you could do that with RES. I'm going to have to look into that, because it sounds entertaining.

Behind their username there's a little blue icon, click it to assign a tag and color. Nobody else can see them so it's totally for your own enjoyment and it usually pays off. For example, there was one guy who posted after every LS episode about how short the episodes were and he was bored after 20 minutes, so I tagged him "Bored Easily." You can imagine my amusement when he made that "Guild Wars 2 is getting so boring..." thread recently.

holy shit why haven't I been doing that

Yeah, about that...

lolvlsp9.jpg

.. Sorry.

Ashodin

So Tomorrow and Friday are going to basically be Guild Information overload. At this point I'm most concerned with how the structure for Guild Missions might be changing since I really enjoy having everyone get on at the same time to do something together.

That and how much time I'm going to spend making the Guild Hall pretty... people who played Terraria / Starbound with me know what's coming. We'll need to coordinate which decor item people are getting from the deluxe /ultimate editions so we have plenty to goof around with.

Behind their username there's a little blue icon, click it to assign a tag and color. Nobody else can see them so it's totally for your own enjoyment and it usually pays off. For example, there was one guy who posted after every LS episode about how short the episodes were and he was bored after 20 minutes, so I tagged him "Bored Easily." You can imagine my amusement when he made that "Guild Wars 2 is getting so boring..." thread recently.

I'm super stoked. They're releasing tons of information about Guilds and Halls in an incredibly short amount of time. What would be even more insane is instead of teasing one image of an elite spec, they teased TWO. That would be very telling - as I would think the game is getting completed faster than scheduled.

As it stands now, there's a clear path of progression for revealing info about the game.

They gave us already:

• Chronomancer
  • Dragonhunter
  • Reaper
  • Revenant Legend: Ventari

For a month of info.

Next, I'll assume it'll be

• Druid
  • Tempest
  • Warrior Elite Spec
  • Revenant Legend: Shiro Tagachi

For another month, then

• Thief Elite Spec
  • Engineer Elite Spec
  • Revenant Elite Spec
  • Revenant Elite Legend: Glint

For the last month. Interestingly, if they do that every week starting next week, it will go past the end of August. Which means that we're at least looking at September for release.

Only if this cadence holds true, mind you.

Retro

For another month, then

• Thief Elite Spec
  • Engineer Elite Spec
  • Revenant Elite Spec
  • Revenant Elite Legend: Glint

Why would they have the Revenant Elite Spec and Legend as separate announcements though?

They might also throw in more about the WvW changes (new siege, new BL), maybe some more info about the Jungle itself, maybe even a Lore post. And who knows what else they haven't gone into a lot, like Fractal Mastery.

Ashodin

Why would they have the Revenant Elite Spec and Legend as separate announcements though?

They might also throw in more about the WvW changes (new siege, new BL), maybe some more info about the Jungle itself, maybe even a Lore post. And who knows what else they haven't gone into a lot, like Fractal Mastery.

Yeah after writing it it seems like they just might merge the two weeks together.

Mxrz

I'm confused. How are you guys getting 170-180 gold for a character slot? Just did the gold to gems thing to make sure, and yeah it was 142 for 800. Of course the price then dropped 5g which is just funny.

Yeah, the $100 deal is better for anyone playing long term, can spare it, and buys gemstore stuff anyway. My problem is dropping that much on a digital item sets off all kinds of crotchety old man shouts at cloud thoughts. I need a useless cardboard box to sit on a shelf and collect dust, dammit.

They really need to preview the glider skin and the. . . whatever in the guild hall too. Not really sure how "Get these extras we aren't showing you yet!" was thumbs upped. If HoT is much bigger than everyone was thinking (3x3?) I don't get why they haven't shown off more. An in-engine fly through of more maps would have helped.

tiijj

They really need to preview the glider skin and the. . . whatever in the guild hall too. Not really sure how "Get these extras we aren't showing you yet!" was thumbs upped. If HoT is much bigger than everyone was thinking (3x3?) I don't get why they haven't shown off more. An in-engine fly through of more maps would have helped.

It's on their site and they made a video of it: https://youtu.be/kcpwXHqrQis

Retro

My problem is dropping that much on a digital item sets off all kinds of crotchety old man shouts at cloud thoughts. I need a useless cardboard box to sit on a shelf and collect dust, dammit.

Yeah, I'm a tad disappointed there isn't a big physical Collector's Edition, but it's not something I'm going to flip tables over. "Bummed" would be a better word, maybe.

As to the Glider / Decor, here they are. Not surprising it's been lost in all of the whining. The "Don't pre-purchase Heart of Thorns" tantrum thread is now the all-time top comment on the entire GW2 subreddit. Just in case you weren't depressed enough already.

tiijj

The "Don't pre-purchase Heart of Thorns" tantrum thread is now the all-time top comment on the entire GW2 subreddit. Just in case you weren't depressed enough already.

That subreddit has really become toxic. There's no "discussion" anymore, it's either you agree with them or you get down voted to oblivion (you're either with us or against us).

da7e807e855ef73724dcc86dc7264650.400x240x15.gif

Shatter Mesmer are getting so buffed next patch that heads are going to spin. I've been theorycrafting power/condi builds and the potential is just stupidly great. Shatter was already a good bulld and now it's just going to be devastating.

tiijj

Shatter Mesmer are getting so buffed next patch that heads are going to spin. I've been theorycrafting power/condi builds and the potential is just stupidly great. Shatter was already a good bulld and now it's just going to be devastating.

A condi shatter mesmer??

Proven

Imagine if people actually got this angry when Apple unveils price for new IPhones.
When Apple first unveiled the iPhone, it was $600. They were forced to make a price drop happen through contract subsidy within two months, and even got rebates sent out to anyone who bought before the price drop. Now, every new phone is expected to hit a certain price, we learn exactly what we're getting with each phone, and the market has deemed it fair enough to bring them to unprecedented profit levels.

A lot of traits that shatter Mesmers had to take to be shatter Mesmers are just being added to base Mesmer, allowing for a lot of freed up traits - traits that enable a poopload of conditions applied on shatter.

Shh...

Imagine if people actually got this angry when Apple unveils price for new IPhones.

That's apples and oranges. Plus Apple can do no wrong in the eyes of its audience. They could put out iShit at $199 and it would sell 2,000,000 units. I could sit in a coffee shop all day and listen to some 20s something kid in Sketchers tell how beautiful his fucking turds are now.

Thinking of starting this up again. Has it changed a lot in the last year or so?

Is the pope catholic?

Seriously though, it has and it's mostly been really good.

Mxrz

I don't believe in conditions. Too much unknown about resistance right now. Could be a weird time before HoT launches if its a counterbalance to any of this.

Retro

Thinking of starting this up again. Has it changed a lot in the last year or so?

If it's been a year, then yes. There was a whole season of Living Story, two new zones (far west of the map; Drytop and The Silverwastes), new daily system, PVP changes, a TP overhaul... bunch of stuff. And it's about to get a huge update next Tuesday (Lots of class changes, rebuilt Lion's Arch, etc.)

It's pretty ridiculous that there's even a WoodenPotatoes video about the expansion pricing.

The scary thing is, WP is one of the more level-headed streamers/casters who has been pretty critical of the game on more than one occasion, but one of the top comments in the thread about his video outright claims he's a marketing shill ("literally every partnered content creator agrees with essentially everything Anet does."). There's a guy who keeps creating the same kind of threads over and over (he's doing "daily reminders" not to pre-purchase) and is now posting conspiracy theory videos not just in /gw2 but /mmorpg now too.

You know things are bad when the tantrum shifts from passively salty to being aggressively Tinfoil Hat-y.

Moondrop

Banned
The "Don't pre-purchase Heart of Thorns" tantrum thread is now the all-time top comment on the entire GW2 subreddit. Just in case you weren't depressed enough already.
There's no "discussion" anymore, it's either you agree with them or you get down voted to oblivion (you're either with us or against us).
Reddit is inherently a mob consensus platform; it's coded into its fundamental structure. That the thread is #1 all-time only represents a degree of consensus that says a lot more about Anet's actions than it does about the reddit community.

You know things are bad when the tantrum shifts from passively salty to being aggressively Tinfoil Hat-y.
Discussing the sale of a product while you simultaneously benefit from that product on a platform that has links to the sale of that product is the height of conflict of interest.

Torment, Blind, Cripple, Confusion, and Boon Removal on shatters. And a trait that increases condi damage by 50 for each active illusion. Holy shit, the rektoning is coming. The only question is how much power should be balanced with condition damage in the gear.
I don't see how this would be better than a full power shatter. Only two of those conditions are damage-based. And you're giving up a might-stacking-on-shatter trait to take the torment one.

Retro

Reddit is inherently a mob consensus platform; it's coded into its fundamental structure. That the thread is #1 all-time only represents a degree of consensus that says a lot more about Anet's actions than it does about the reddit community.

I don't agree that it represents any kind of active consensus so much as people are getting swept up and voting out of blind rage rather than any kind of intelligent opinion. For example, people cannot logically bitch that "ArenaNet doesn't communicate with us" while simultaneously downvoting them so much they have negative Karma, so that no one sees their communication. That's people downvoting to 'stick it to ArenaNet' plain and simple.

That's also without dragging out the ol' Vocal Minority schtick; even if all 118,289 subscribers started swimming in the same direction at once, that's a sliver of the 3 million people who have bought the game (as of January 2013 too, so that's much higher now).The GW2 subreddit has always been reactionary and is notorious for downvoting everything. I agree that there's a general irritability within the entire community because it's happening in game too, but it's not at the level that people are screaming in all caps and threatening to sue. There's a huge gulf between "I don't like that, they should change it" and "ArenaNet is a bunch of scammers, let's file a class action lawsuit!" that Reddit is on the angry, seething side of.

Discussing the sale of a product while you simultaneously benefit from that product on a platform that has links to the sale of that product is the height of conflict of interest.

Except he says outright in the video not to pre-purchase and that ArenaNet should lower the price tag, and he also, to my knowledge, has not posted a referral link. That's what makes the conspiratorial comments so messed up; he's basically on their side, but people seem upset that he's being reasonable instead of picking up a pitchfork and joining in.

Proven

http://dulfy.net/gw2traits#build=AgMFeAKcAdg~

Torment, Blind, Cripple, Confusion, and Boon Removal on shatters. And a trait that increases condi damage by 50 for each active illusion. Holy shit, the rektoning is coming. The only question is how much power should be balanced with condition damage in the gear.

I don't see how this would be better than a full power shatter. Only two of those conditions are damage-based. And you're giving up a might-stacking-on-shatter trait to take the torment one.

My version: http://dulfy.net/gw2traits#build=AgMC2AOoBXQ~ I've got bleeds, torment, and confusion.

Decided to focus on Pistol while going for an interrupt style. However, I'm torn about the possibility of dropping the Might stacking from Chaos so I can trait Focus and have both its interrupt and fast hitting Phantasm for more bleeds and confusion. However, Chaotic Interruption also places Immobilize which allows much of this burst to work. I could also slide in Chronomancy for the Alacrity so my Phantasms recharge extra quick. Weapons would likely be Sword/Pistol and Scepter/Focus with Chaos or Inspiration, or Sword/Shield and Scepter/Pistol for Chronomancy. Gear likely Rabid for the crit chance (and I've realized this week that I really, really want another gear choice with Precision and Condition Damage, and preferably not Rampager). If I did go Rampager's or some other hybrid I'd consider going with Domination for Blurred Inscriptions and go hard on the signets.

If I was in a party where I could coordinate blast finishers, I'd go Scepter/Pistol and Staff and use the new Staff mastery trait so I could get access to poison and use Chaos Storm more often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom