• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| We've got fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Proven

Hot take: celestial amulet may not have actually been nerfed as much as it appears. On a relative basis, obviously it looks like it's been nerfed. But consider that the stat totals have been increased significantly on an absolute basis. The viability of a build is not merely about how it stacks up relative to other builds but what it can do against foes. Therefore if celestial amulet has the raw stats to still be tanky while putting out hybrid damage, and at first glance it very well may, then it's not going anywhere.

Berserker vs. Marauder will at least have burst builds make a choice, so that's cool.

Edit: No 4-stat equivalent to the old Rampager, huh.

My planned Rampager Mesmer is hopefully not affected much. It was a theory craft anyway. I'm guessing the primary reason for these amulet changes is again to bring more parity to PvE. The Berserker change also serves as an indirect nerf to Berserker Thief and Medi Guard.

Some quick math:
1200 makes ~61% Crit Chance with the base 4%.
1050 makes exactly 50% Crit Chance, 54% with the base 4%.
900 makes ~47% Crit Chance (with the base 4%) and 60% extra Crit Damage. That's a lot of crit damage... wasn't there a cap of 50%?
560 makes ~31% Crit Chance (with the 4%) and ~37% extra Crit Damage.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3aq3nn/changing_the_stats_of_ascended_items_requires/

Colin was there to quickly point out it was a bug.

There was about to be chaos.
Lol, I sold some insignias last night already, so my first thought was "safe..."

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hey what's the super-easy-to-understand way of explaining that bit about Skills and Traits at level 80 vs. Hero Ooints?

Proven

At level 80, you will now have all the hero points necessary for unlocking all of your core specializations. No need for map completion.

If you do the map completion anyway, you basically speed up your process.

Excess hero points will be spent post-HoT release.

Edit: The Marauder Amulet is a gold recolor of the Berserker. I want to lol, but part of me actually thinks it looks cool...

Moondrop

Banned
Beastmaster condi survival PvP variant:
2. Skirmishing
2a. Sharpened Edges
2b. Hidden Barbs
2c. Light on your Feet
3. Wilderness Survival
3a. Expertise Training
3b. Ambidexterity
3c. Wilderness Knowledge
5. Beastmastery
5a. Companion's Might
5b. Natural Regeneration
5c. Zephyr's Speed
Sword+Torch/Shortbow + Earth/Geomancy sigils
Troll Unguent/Lightning Reflexes/Sharpening Stone/Signet of Stone/Entangle
Rabid gear + Undead runes
Jaguar/Eagle

Thanks I was in GAF before already. My character was even in the group photo from the last OT.

Since you've been gone for more than a year you're most likely not in the guild anymore, we clear out inactive accounts every so often to make room for active players who want in.

More than happy to add you back if you want though, just drop your account name and one of the officers will grab you

Since you've been gone for more than a year you're most likely not in the guild anymore, we clear out inactive accounts every so often to make room for active players who want in.

More than happy to add you back if you want though, just drop your account name and one of the officers will grab you

Cool. Thanks again.

Retro

So, here's a thing; Pre-Purchase Community Address

As many of you are aware, we began the Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns™ pre-purchase program on June 16. This is an exciting time, but we also recognize that there is some frustration and confusion. We would like to clarify our intentions and address these concerns.

Veteran Player Appreciation
For our long-standing fans and loyal players, we would like to say thank you and show our appreciation. For all players who registered the core Guild Wars 2® game prior to January 23, 2015 and who upgrade their account by prepurchasing and registering any Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns edition before Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns‘ launch, we will add one additional character slot to your Guild Wars 2 account. The process of delivering your additional character slot will take us some time, but rest assured we will get it to you as soon as possible. We’ll provide more details about the specific timing soon.

Pre-Purchase Clarification
In our January 23 FAQ, we wanted to clarify that Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns would not be a stand-alone campaign like those offered in Guild Wars 2® in the past (Factions® and Nightfall®), but instead would be a true expansion to Guild Wars 2 similar to what Guild Wars: Eye of the North® was to our original game. We wanted you to know that access to much of the content in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns requires access to Guild Wars 2. Some read the FAQ as us urging players to buy the core game now, in preparation for the expansion release. This was not our intention and amendments made to the FAQ following the announcement were a good-faith attempt to clarify this misinterpretation. As such, we’re offering a comprehensive refund policy.

For all players who purchased the Guild Wars 2 core game from our website and registered it between January 23, 2015 and June 16, 2015 in anticipation of Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns, we will automatically refund what you paid for the core game should you decide to pre-purchase Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns from our website or in-game store any time through July 31, 2015. If you take advantage of this refund and pre-purchase Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns, all of your current account progress will be kept intact. We’ll provide further details on when refunds will be processed in the next couple weeks as we set up this process.

If you purchased the core Guild Wars 2 game from our website and registered it between January 23, 2015 and June 16, 2015, and you no longer want to play Guild Wars 2, we will refund your core game purchase price and close your account provided you make the request by July 31, 2015. Please contact our Customer Support team to make this request.

If you purchased the core game from a third party, we are unable to provide a refund. However, if you registered the core game between January 23, 2015 and June 16, 2015 and upgrade it by prepurchasing any Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns edition before Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns‘ launch, we will add one additional character slot to your Guild Wars 2 account. The process of delivering your additional character slot will be the same as described above. If you would like a refund, you will need to contact that third party, as refunds are dependent on their policies and rules.

Business Model Clarification
We want to be clear about our business model for future expansions now that we are approaching our first paid expansion for Guild Wars 2. We believe that to keep the game dynamic and vibrant with a constantly growing community, it should be as easy as possible for new players to get into Guild Wars 2. For Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns, we didn’t want the core game’s price to be a factor in a new player’s decision to begin playing Guild Wars 2. In the future, if we release further Guild Wars 2 expansions, we plan to offer all of the prior expansions, the core game, and the latest expansion for one single purchase price.

We are committed to our players and believe we remain the single best value in the MMO space. We set out on this journey to challenge the conventions of MMOs, to knockdown the barriers to accessibility, and to fulfill the promise of what online worlds should be. In the process, the best community in gaming came together in Guild Wars 2. It is to our community—past, present, and future—that we are committed. Thank you for your understanding, and we look forward to seeing you in game.

Emphasis added is mine to point out the important bits. That last one is especially cool and a big middle finger to the standard MMO Playbook; for years MMOs made you buy the core game + old expansions if you wanted to start playing when a new expansion came out. Blizzard still makes you buy a bundle that's separate from the Expansion purchase, as far as I can tell from their site. That's insanely good for keeping the community together, even though it's a huge opportunity to generate additional profits for ArenaNet by just doing it the same way everyone else does.

I don't think you can't get any more pro-consumer without giving the expansion itself away for free.

hythloday

So that's pretty neat. Gaile Gray also confirmed in the Reddit thread that the announcement means current players who spring for the Deluxe or Ultimate editions will be getting two character slots (one for having the base game, plus the one that came with Heart of Thorns).

I'm happy about that. I had a name reserved for a future Revenant, but I've always wanted to play a Charr someday too so now I have more wiggle room.

Of course Retro will snarkily state that I have to pull myself away from Final Fantasy XIV first, but I've only been taking a GW2 break til Heart of Thorns releases. Melisande will be back, people!

Quenk

Nice. I think their new policy is quite fair. I was holding off on pre-purchasing until the dust had settled so I think I'll get around to it this week.

Retro

I would like to know if this allows me to upgrade my purchase. Yes, I want to give more money to you Anet, let me pls.

Did you apply your purchase to your GW2 account already (assuming you bought it through the site instead of the game)? You could also give the code to someone who could pay you directly or give it to someone who can't afford it

Of course Retro will snarkily state that I have to pull myself away from Final Fantasy XIV first, but I've only been taking a GW2 break til Heart of Thorns releases. Melisande will be back, people!
Actually, I wouldn't have mentioned it because I wanted to hide the shameful fact that one of the Guild Leaders' wives is cheating on GW2 with another MMO.

Heh. I'm not sure I would have gotten ultimate with a character slot baked in.

4000 gems at 50% off was really the only reason to get Ultimate anyways.

I don't want another character slot. I already paid more for the one I needed. :/

Save the slot for the inevitable Guild Wars 2: Liver of Lava, Guild Wars 2: Spleen of Snow, Guild Wars 2: Colon of Crystal and Guild Wars 2: Sphincter of the Sea.

I will continue believing that offering 800 Gems would have been the much more elegant solution to all of this.

Let people buy another slot if they want it, otherwise don't lock them into something they might have no use for.

Zeroth

Did you apply your purchase to your GW2 account already (assuming you bought it through the site instead of the game)? You could also give the code to someone who could pay you directly or give it to someone who can't afford it

Yeah, I think all HoT upgrades apply instantly to your account, sadly.

Retro

I will continue believing that offering 800 Gems would have been the much more elegant solution to all of this.

Let people buy another slot if they want it, otherwise don't lock them into something they might have no use for.

Joking aside, that would have been the absolutely fairest way to go about it, but they may not have done it because tons of players suddenly having a chunk of free gems could seriously screw up the economy if everyone just cashes them in for gold.

Yeah, I think all HoT upgrades apply instantly to your account, sadly.

Could always ask Customer Support to refund the purchase if you explain your situation to them. Worth a shot?

Trogdor1123

I am sure this has been posted already but I can't find it. Does anyone have a link to conference? I didn't see it so I just want to make sure I see the most recent info.

TIA

Moondrop

Banned
Hurray. Glad I waited; now I will show them my money.

I've thought up my norn revenant name so I'm glad they'll be adding the slot pre-expansion it seems.

Retro

I am sure this has been posted already but I can't find it. Does anyone have a link to conference? I didn't see it so I just want to make sure I see the most recent info.

TIA

Um, which conference? The initial Heart of Thorns one was basically a quick summary of things to come and is now outdated (since they've been releasing lots of blog articles about the game).

One Youtuber actually made a summary video of all released info and is uploading it as as we speak, I'll PM you when it finishes rendering if you'd like.

Is Got Em Coach taken as a name? someone check for me.

Unavailable.

Anno

I'm glad people are happy, but it's at least mildly annoying that they are only because ANet felt pressured into announcing something akin to "your $50 is worth more than that person's $50 solely because you've owned the game for longer."

I think the character slot is fair, and offering refunds is a good idea. I don't know if I'll buy at launch, I'm still waiting on some specializations.

Is tomorrow's patch bringing new Lion's Arch?

Trogdor1123

Um, which conference? The initial Heart of Thorns one was basically a quick summary of things to come and is now outdated (since they've been releasing lots of blog articles about the game).

One Youtuber actually made a summary video of all released info and is uploading it as as we speak, I'll PM you when it finishes rendering if you'd like.

Unavailable.

That would really be appreciated. I just watched a video on the masteries and it was interesting.

Retro

I'm glad people are happy, but it's at least mildly annoying that they are only because ANet felt pressured into announcing something akin to "your $50 is worth more than that person's $50 solely because you've owned the game for longer."

Every time there's a big salty tantrum on Reddit, it usually ends with ArenaNet changing things for the better. On one hand, they listen to their community and that's an awesome thing. On the other, it means every time someone doesn't like something, all they have to do is inflame the mob to get it changed. There's also the potential for ArenaNet to listen to the community too much, but... I haven't seen anything that suggests that's happened in any case where there wasn't at least a little bit of legitimacy to the community's gripe.

Is tomorrow's patch bringing new Lion's Arch?

Yep.

That would really be appreciated. I just watched a video on the masteries and it was interesting.

No problem, as soon as I see it on his youtube account or twitter I'll pass it along.

Minamu

Although I don't want another copy of the base game nor want to pay that extra money, having a second account would pay for itself rather quickly by using it as another login reward account, if that's how it'll work with HoT. There's always a few veterans who seem to do this when there's a regular sale on ;)

Trogdor1123

Although I don't want another copy of the base game nor want to pay that extra money, having a second account would pay for itself rather quickly by using it as another login reward account, if that's how it'll work with HoT. There's always a few veterans who seem to do this when there's a regular sale on ;)

Do we actually get a second account? I didn't think that was what was happening at all.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm pretty sure I will buy the Ultimate Edition now anyway (though I have no need for the second extra slot at all) simply because they deserve the cash and should be rewarded for making some good common sense changes that do get to the heart of the feedback. Next payday, I think.

$50 is still rather steep for what's been shown even with a slot, but it's at least a much more rational value proposition for people who've literally been playing actively since launch in some form.

It's funny, all the Destiny stuff. There are some key differences in the stories but the nature of the communal anger is certainly the same shade.

The silly thing is, despite these missteps- which I do not expect to see repeated by either dev- I truly believe these two games to have the most aggressive, forward-thinking business models of any of the online games on the market right now. Even Secret World, which initially seemed to be following in ArenaNet's footsteps with a pure buy2play model, eventually compromised with small, inexpensive-but-frequent DLC mission packs that aren't pooled for new players at a discount (yet).

Ultimately the fact that the "initial core purchase," be it the $49.99 for HoT + base GW2 or $59.99 for the base Destiny game + 3 DLCs, will always be the same price (or better) for new players is brilliant and will yield enormous financial successes, though the veteran players are not unlikely to foam at the mouth every time the next "box" gets announced.

I already have an open slot now I'll have another 2. Will only be using 1 for revenant but after I do everything on my main.

I would have bought the 100$ even without a character slot. Good game and good company will have my money.

I'm pretty satisfied with how things turned out - I feel like I can now at least get somewhat interested in what's coming next without worry.

As for the extra editions, I don't particularly care for skins and such, and I try to avoid buying gems in the first place. 50 for an expansion, plus a slot to try the class out, is somewhat closer to okay for me.

Mxrz

I'm not against any of the recent changes to the changes--just need to be level 80 for full specs, ascended stat swapping. Still 5%, not 10--but it does feel like stuff is being dialed down a bit. Time investments and such.

The pve mastery system is suppose to replace that, but that has the potential to be the exact sort of progression I don't want. Of all the things there is to focus on, XP is probably the least fun. The thought of starting at 0 and working through a new system isn't terribly appealing.

D'oh. Reads like the celestial amulet isn't nerfed much at all. Can only hope that mesmers are more op than the engineers.

Dead

well not really...yet
That's a pretty fair outcome from ArenaNet

I think it was silly to complain the base game was included as that reduces the barrier to entry for new players (I mean, more payers = good, unless people would rather be in Wildstar and maybe see 2 other players over the last 15 hours of gameplay?) Its simply good business.

The free character slot should have been included from the start but its good to see them cave in to this demand.

Retro

Do we actually get a second account? I didn't think that was what was happening at all.

Nope, no second account from this.

No one willing to speculate that the announcement means an August 1 release date for HoT? Fine, I will.

Heh, I didn't see anything that suggested August 1st specifically, where'd you see that?

Why are they refunding the core game for people who don't want to play anymore?

Some people are angry about the HoT drama and just want out. I personally don't agree that somebody who's potentially been playing this whole time should get a full refund, but it shows a lot of goodwill on ArenaNet's part that they're willing to do so. They did a similar thing at launch too, for accounts and gems (Markot even openly bragged about it).

wait... so I can't just buy the expansion? I have to pay the $50.00 which includes the core game?

The expansion is $50 no matter what. However, if you don't own the base game already, you get it thrown in for free because it would be annoying to have to buy two things to play one game. If you owned the core game before January 23rd 2015, you get a free character slot instead (both the character slot and core game are worth ~$10).

Yes you can. The expansion IS $50.

That's quite a lot for an expansion. I bought Guild Wars for $30. Why wouldn't the price point be lower for those who already own the core game. No wonder people are complaining. Even $10 less would be nice.

Also, will people who missed Season 1 ever be able to play it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom