• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| We've got fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retro

I like that catalysts are out in the world in peculiar places like that.

Yep, good reason to explore the world and poke everything to see if it drops a cool new catalyst. I'm hoping it's more of an "Oh, the enemy created an object in the game world you can interact with" situation rather than a straight drop or, like I said, it's going to be heavily farmed.

Thorgal

So I watched the entire 5 hour balance batch stream
while playing Splatoon
. My overall impression is being impressed by how much thought went into the trait revamp. Deliberate care was given such that how a profession achieves a specific role feels true to that class. And they really went back and strengthened the conceptual consistency of each trait line, not merely basing them around the 1-5:power-crit-toughness-vitality-profession paradigm as before. Plus there were so many subtle changes that we overlooked at first glance.

Some specific thoughts:
- Elementalist will have strong aura play via traits; I'm definitely putting some in my S/F build. And the condi changes may enable condi ele builds via burn stacking. I don't think ele will be nerfed, but I think overall they received the least significant changes.
- Mortar kit looks to be the truth; I'm definitely building around that. But then there's also the potential for double AoE moas. Suddenly the crate elite, which itself received great buffs, is the weakest choice.
- Still nonplussed about the warrior traits. Even my old cleric build gets nothing great out of lines 1,2, & 5. I have high hopes that the elite specialization line can be used with my shout healer (even though I don't play it any more QQ).
- Mesmer can do some really interesting support just by speccing into Inspiration via the minors- AoE condi cleanse when you heal (Mirror has 15s CD) plus spread your distortion to allies. Plus mesmer's scepter and pistol got huge buffs made baseline. With scepter, the auto-attack is smoother for clone generation and the #3 is much faster.
- Necromancer vampiric traits may actually be a good reason to bring necros for harder content- they attack as additional dps and heals that don't detract from you or your party's basic rotations. I kind of want to make a support necro; it looks really interesting. Also, they relayed an amusing anecdote in which initially the fall damage trait was classified as a corruption, putting conditions on you every time.
- The ranger shortbow trait is really nice. I'll probably remake my PvP build as condi survival. The taunt via pet will be the only taunt in the game as of Tuesday.
- Instead of the boon strip on steal trait, thieves can trait down the CD of withdraw and have it remove a condition. Between this the perks in Acrobatics, maybe I'll learn to play sword.
- Another amusing anecdote was with guardian in which they initially had no ICD on a burn foes you block trait, leading to 5k burn ticks on those who used multi-hit attacks.

do you have a link to that 5 hour stream ?

I need something to listen to .

putarorex

The price of the expansion seems a bit high, but only because they have not released much information about how many zones will be added. I know they are adding alot besides the zones, but the number of zones is what a lot of people will focus on when it finally becomes clear. If they add about six or seven of the three-layer zones I would be happy, but I worry that people are expecting even more than that and it could be even fewer zones.

On a different topic, I hope that the GAF guild plans the taking of the guild halls on days when everyone can participate (Friday or Saturday evenings pacific time for me--> would actually be Saturday or Sunday morning in my time zone). The timing that we do guild missions would be great.

Retro

It's payday, so Ultimate Edition purchased for by myself and Hythloday.

Thought we'd have flying Guild Halls (airships), but must've misread some very early Guild Hall previews.

People kept bringing it up in the Guild Housing CDI, some even shooting down other suggests that conflicted with it, but there was no way Airships were going to work with the scale they're aiming for (unless, of course, it's treated like an extra room you can build on).

Guild Halls look like we need to make some decisions :eek:

Agreed, we've got some very basic info now. Obviously we're going to want to unlock both sets of Guild Weapons (I may have missed if there are two different armor themes) so that means capturing both locations. We'll need to decide which hall we want, but I'd honestly rather wait until we can walk around them and see what's what (if possible). I'm leaning towards the more vertical one but the Gilded Cavern one definitely has a cool aesthetic.

Obviously all officers will gave Architect permission, but I would like to have a new rank similar to Mist Warrior for regular members just so there aren't 500+ people to keep tabs on.

And of course, for people who picked up the Deluxe / Ultimate edition, we'll need to work out what exclusive Decor items we'll want.

The price of the expansion seems a bit high, but only because they have not released much information about how many zones will be added. I know they are adding alot besides the zones, but the number of zones is what a lot of people will focus on when it finally becomes clear. If they add about six or seven of the three-layer zones I would be happy, but I worry that people are expecting even more than that and it could be even fewer zones.

I wouldn't be surprised if the number of zones is about half that, especially if each of the 'layers' are substantial enough to be consider zones themselves (so it would be more like 9 zones, in reality). People would flip their shit though because they'll quietly ignore the layers thing and just rage about "only 3 zones" so we'll see how they handle it.

Humorous aside; someone on Reddit said they would boycot the expansion if it didn't have 25 zones minimum (for reference, 25 zones is what GW2 launched with).

On a different topic, I hope that the GAF guild plans the taking of the guild halls on days when everyone can participate (Friday or Saturday evenings pacific time for me--> would actually be Saturday or Sunday morning in my time zone). The timing that we do guild missions would be great.

I can definitely see us waiting to capture our guild plots and using them as a substitute for Missions one week. Maybe capture the second plot closer to our Makeup Mission bracket so people in different time zones can get involved.

I really do hope they have the event repeatable as a challenge or something so people can experience it later.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
We'll need to decide which hall we want, but I'd honestly rather wait until we can walk around them and see what's what (if possible). I'm leaning towards the more vertical one but the Gilded Cavern one definitely has a cool aesthetic.
Let's wait until we do the missions or so, we could even have a guild vote, I suppose.

Retro

Um... wow. I totally missed that there was a fourth blog post today (and it looks like it went up first): Guild Halls: Missions for All

For most of the missions, aiming every guild in the game toward the same one won’t cause a problem, but Guild Challenges and Guild Puzzles will get backed up in a big way. To avoid that, those mission types will be moving into their own instances. You’ll access them from the same places in the world, but they’ll otherwise function a bit like a dungeon.

No more waiting 10 minutes for another guild to finish, yay.

Let's wait until we do the missions or so, we could even have a guild vote, I suppose.

That's what I meant by wanting to run around and check them out before we make a decision. After that we can say "Okay, that one isn't nearly as cool, let's go with the other one" and make an informed decision when we actually go to make it. On that note, I hope part of their guild overhaul is a bunch of QoL updates like in-game calenders and polls.

Are specializations a new thing? I havent played this game in over a year and I plan on jumping back in. I have a level 80 Guardian but I dont remember choosing a specialization.

If we can have instanced Guild Challenges and Puzzles, maybe some of the "challenging content" can be instanced for guilds and other large groups too.

Will these and the Guild Halls be the first time we've been able to control our own instances with more than a party-sized group?

Zeroth

If we can have instanced Guild Challenges and Puzzles, maybe some of the "challenging content" can be instanced for guilds and other large groups too.

Will these and the Guild Halls be the first time we've been able to control our own instances with more than a party-sized group?

I'm sure a certain old timer leader who had excellent experiences with WoW raids will love to lead us in these 50 man raid instances where a single mistake makes everyone wipe.

Retro

Are specializations a new thing? I havent played this game in over a year and I plan on jumping back in. I have a level 80 Guardian but I dont remember choosing a specialization.

Specializations are just the new name for Traits, basically. Instead of having x number of points to spend in the five different trait lines, you'll just pick three trait lines (from the same old pool of five). Since points are gone, just picking a specialization means you get access to all the whole thing.

After HoT, there will be "Elite Specializations" that add new weapons / class mechanics and stuff (like Chronomancer, Reaver, Dragonhunter, etc.)

Yep.

I'm sure a certain old timer leader who had excellent experiences with WoW raids will love to lead us in these 50 man raid instances where a single mistake makes everyone wipe.

Heh, that ignores the facts that A). the cap will be much higher than 50 (or at least it'd better!) and B). the game mechanics of Guild Wars 2 like downed state and magic rubs would prevent the old, obnoxious "Bob didn't watch the dance steps raid strategy on Youtube and wiped us all!" situation entirely. Unless the encounter was specifically designed for it like the Marionette, of course, but even there you actually have lots of chances.

Welp instanced Supplies guild challenge is gonna be fun on makeup missions,,,

We'll manage, we always have. Besides, the missions are pre-determined each week so we'd know it was coming and could grab some random PUGs from LA before we start, not to mention the fact that we can fail and restart as many times as we want.

Retro

100% Charr Copters

I was thinking it might be cool to have a couple of those in the War Room or something. I'd like a mix of everything if possible.

Semi-related; they mentioned decorations can only be placed on flat surfaces in the stream, but here's hoping we can move things once they're in the world to create custom jumping puzzles and such.

I want the Guild Halls to have access to guild-specific instanced versions of Southsun Survival, Crab Toss, Keg Brawl, and Sanctum Sprint. Even if they don't count towards achievements like the normal versions.

Beepos

Really impressed coming back to the game that they not only streamlined trait lines without cutting the complexity, but let you change builds on the fly like GW1... Seriously this has made the game so much accessible and I can't believe it wasn't there day 1.

I only hope I have time to experience it.

Really impressed coming back to the game that they not only streamlined trait lines without cutting the complexity, but let you change builds on the fly like GW1... Seriously this has made the game so much accessible and I can't believe it wasn't there day 1.

I only hope I have time to experience it.

Don't get too attached to the current trait system. It's getting a hefty overhaul come Tuesday.

Dead

well not really...yet
What's the deal with no 25-35 zone in Maguuma. Seems dumb considering 2 different races start in that continental area, and every other race has a zone roughly associated with that level field

Trey

What's the deal with no 25-35 zone in Maguuma. Seems dumb considering 2 different races start in that continental area, and every other race has a zone roughly associated with that level field

It's not an even distribution. I don't think kryta has a level 80 zone, for example. I think the zone levels are mostly connected to the personal story - makes sense considering it's a mostly linear path.

It's not a huge problem gameplay wise because you can go to any race city, and therefore the connecting zones, at any time. You can explore the world at your leisure.

Dead

well not really...yet
It's not an even distribution. I don't think kryta has a level 80 zone, for example. I think the zone levels are mostly connected to the personal story - makes sense considering it's a mostly linear path.

It's not a huge problem gameplay wise because you can go to any race city, and therefore the connecting zones, at any time. You can explore the world at your leisure.
Yeah it's not a problem or anything. Just seemed weird since it's the one zone that houses two races.

Just got my Necromancer to level 26, taking a break from my main Elementalist who is 65 now. Starting to really like Necro, the staff can just decimate mobs with conditions.

hythloday

PSA: Right now the only legit Heart of Thorns pre-purchase keys can be bought from ArenaNet. You can still pre-order from other authorized retailers.

Hey all,

Heart of Thorns is currently only available offically to purchase through our purchase site and in-game through the gem store. There have been a number of 3rd Party websites/services offereing Heart of Thorns for sale, and many of them are currently not officially authorized to do so.

These sites are most likely getting their keys through fraudulent practices, which means there is a VERY high chance that if you purchase from these websites that the key will be disabled shortly after. This will result in your account being closed for fraud, and Customer Service will require that you purchase HoT though legitimate means before you can access your account again.

For your account’s sake, please be careful when purchasing your HoT key through a non officially authorized 3rd party.

To clarify:
The only way to officially Pre-Purchase right now is through the official GW2 website, or in-game. This does not cover Pre-Ordering, which may exist on a number of reputable resellers. Pre-Purchase and Pre-Order are different.

https://www.guildwars2.com/retailers/
Here you can find a list of authorized retailers

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/for...through-a-3rd-Party-Careful/first#post5175830

Minamu

Finally got my Dawn, Sunrise is coming! :D Got 50g left to my name, and they're going to Braxzy soon. I was wondering though, can I unlock the Dawn skin somehow and still use the sword as the precursor? I read somewhere that it becomes useless if you transmute it for example :/ Don't want to screw up a 775g investment xD

If you right-click Dawn, you should have the option to Add Skin to Wardrobe or Unlock Skin. This will Account Bind the item and unlock the "Khrysaor, the Golden Sword" skin.

It's safe to transmute it if you wanted to though. It will still function in the Mystic Forge as Dawn.

As a general note, putting items in the Mystic Forge automatically unlocks the skins too.

Ashodin

Speaking of precursors, they will get their own skins in hot. I'm wondering what dawn and dusk look like since they are essentially lightsabers.

Proven

Some build thoughts.

I finished up the near 6 hour vid yesterday, but just before watching it I realized that there were a few traits snuck in that would specifically help a Dagger/Dagger Condi Thief. Watching the video actually confirmed it. D/D Condi has been my Thief build since 2012, basically because I fell in love with Death Blossom and I wanted to try and make a Thief build that didn't use stealth.

Current look: http://dulfy.net/gw2traits#build=AgcBZAT0BWw~ It uses Signet of Malice and a Settler's Amulet. One thing my previous build did that I had to drop were a couple of support and control elements. I was also extremely condi weak and almost entirely relied on Pain Response. I also loved using Sleight of Hand but everyone says Bewildering Ambush is flat out better from a condi perspective, and Steal recharge reduction seems to be going the way of Sword users.

If I can consistently perform Death Blossom evades (which only have a third of the evade frames of just regular dodging) then the build works and I'm left with an exhilarating feeling. If I can't then after this patch I'm just going to go Sword and make my own version of Tron Jeremy's build.

As for Guardian, the Ready Up video explained to me why my Carrion Guardian was no longer working. They nerfed one of the minor traits, Radiant Power, from 25% to 10%. I was depending on for a majority of my crit chance. So now, in order for the build to work, I needed to either switch to Precision gear or add Fury. For now I added Fury through Meditations: http://dulfy.net/gw2traits#build=AgIClAOYBdQ~ The build now uses Sword/Torch and Scepter/Shield or Focus. I'm hoping for an extra buff to Shields before the patch goes live, else I'm switching to Focus Master and Communal Defenses. Also, I was confused about how Radiant Fire works; if it causes the Torch skill on your bar to automatically switch to the other skill (which would probably be ridiculously OP, lol) then I'd use Torch with Scepter instead.

Unfortunately, the Radiant Power pre-patch nerf completely breaks my Dragon Hunter build, so that one's going back to the drawing board.

For Ranger, I just went with my heart. I wanted the feeling of running and jumping around with my pet in battle. So here's the build using Valkyrie, Trooper Runes, and the traits set to be malleable for the situation: http://dulfy.net/gw2traits#build=AgUB_AT4Beg~ Protective Ward is beastly looking.

Builds are set for Warrior, Necromancer, Mesmer, Thief, Guardian, and Ranger. Engineer and Elementalist are my least played classes right now so they'll have to wait until I just plain know them better.

Lunar15

So, the ironic thing about going to E3 is that it's impossible to keep up with any of the news coming out or around E3.

Can someone give me a super brief breakdown of stuff that was announced or talked about for HoT this week? Did they show off a guild hall? Something about Ascended and Precursors or something? Reddit rage? I've been looking back through posts and I really can't see what the new info was.

Ashodin

For radiant fire it works exactly as described. Basically, you will always have zealot's fire up, not off cooldown mind you, but it'll be available.

Moondrop

Banned
If I can consistently perform Death Blossom evades (which only have a third of the evade frames of just regular dodging) then the build works and I'm left with an exhilarating feeling. If I can't then after this patch I'm just going to go Sword and make my own version of Tron Jeremy's build.
What about a D/D + S/D evasion build?

Protective Ward is beastly looking.
Absolutely; I meant to mention this. But I still don't like Nature Magic enough overall to try it for a beastmaster build at first.

Can someone give me a super brief breakdown of stuff that was announced or talked about for HoT this week? Did they show off a guild hall?
Yep, huge instance, we build and decorate, two choices of halls with unique weapon/armor skins, new crafting and battle arena features, and more. Look to Retro's recent posts for links to Anet blog posts.

Something about Ascended and Precursors or something?
Ascended weapons and armor will be able to be converted to different stat combinations via the mystic forge.

Reddit rage?
People are upset over the pre-purchase pricing for varying reasons. Spoiler for drama.
1) People are upset that the base game is bundled with the expansion, thus new players are getting something for free that they paid for (illegitimate criticism).
2) People feel the pricing tiers are a bit predatory toward veteran players as the base option has no character slot with which to play the new profession and the higher priced options are pretty fluffy (legitimate).
3) People are upset that for the past few months the official FAQ stated new players would be required to have the base game, but it turns out they've been punished if they purchased recently (somewhat legitimate).
4) People feel it's over-priced for what's been shown (subjective).

Lunar15

Cool, thanks! Checking out the guild hall stuff now.

I can see how people would be miffed about the expansion pricing, but It's a sunk cost for me so I'm not all that bothered.

EDIT: Watched the guild hall video, still not fully sure what they're for, but damn if Anet's artistic design isn't the best in the entire fucking industry. Those guys are gods.

Proven

Cool, thanks! Checking out the guild hall stuff now.

I can see how people would be miffed about the expansion pricing, but It's a sunk cost for me so I'm not all that bothered.

EDIT: Watched the guild hall video, still not fully sure what they're for, but damn if Anet's artistic design isn't the best in the entire fucking industry. Those guys are gods.

Lunar, when you do get a lot more time, just read the last 7 days' worth of blog posts on guildwars2.com if you haven't already.

What about a D/D + S/D evasion build?

I am too afraid to part with Shortbow, and I'll get extra use of the poison field too.

Retro

Look to Retro's recent posts for links to Anet blog posts.

I didn't get all of 'em though;
Um... wow. I totally missed that there was a fourth blog post today (and it looks like it went up first): Guild Halls: Missions for All

Lots of different things.
- Portals to WvW / PvE that favor your guild staying together.
- Buffs are now a choose-your-own affair that are always running (served in the guild Tavern)
- Place to build upgrades for WvW
- PvP Practice Arena
- New crafting discipline for decor items, two new guild weapon sets, guild armor sets, banners.
- Probably more I am forgetting.

Also, the news may have slipped through the cracks, but there's a huge update coming Tuesday.

Also, I'm pretty sure you were in the last culling, name.#### for a re-invite.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I'm bored and have nothing going on tonight, so I'm gonna give GW2 another shot. Just made a Charr Mesmer. Feel free to send me a guild invite, Anoregon.3641

Retro

Excellent Missions as always, despite a hiccup with the Quaggans, the Branded Challenge, Snowden Puzzle, Sotzz Bounty and (horrible) Karka Rush went well enough.

Makeup Missions are tomorrow at 3pm Eastern / Noon Pacific.

A preview of the new skill/trait changes will be streaming on the Guild Wars 2 twitch channel Monday, though it's just a bunch of twitch folks and not any actual devs so... unless you're into that sort of thing... yeah.

Tuesday is Update Day, expect a few bug fix and server crash patches as is normal with big updates. Lots of changes and updates including the new Lion's Arch. We do not currently have any activities planned, but I would expect GAFers to be running around all day and / or hanging out in mumble.

Have a good weekend folks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom