• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| We've got fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shiokazu

bltc sale...

i might have a chance.

one%20must%20suffer%20to%20be%20fashioaaaabluh.png

Moondrop

Banned
My engi pvp build archetype will be power flamethrower. But I must test some different amulets before I post a build- unclear how tanky it needs to be.

Dead

well not really...yet
This might be me being crazy, but anyone else not a fan of how it seems skills and traits you've yet to unlock were just automatically unlocked with the update. Would rather work towards that stuff myself lol.

This might be me being crazy, but anyone else not a fan of how it seems skills and traits you've yet to unlock were just automatically unlocked with the update. Would rather work towards that stuff myself lol.

Ironic, since all reports indicate it *doesn't* unlock skills and traits that weren't being used in your build before the patch, and people were complaining about it in guild chat.

Mxrz

Didn't bother messing with any traits. I wanted to use my exact same builds (or I guess close to it?) in pvp tonight. Dominated two matches as a necro. Lich still liching. Fairly normal stuff. The vuln on consume conditions basically means no more healing mid fight, but eh. Going to chalk it up to everyone trying weird stuff tonight.

Ele felt off, but I don;t play d/d ele enough to really know what all has changed.

Dead

well not really...yet
Ironic, since all reports indicate it *doesn't* unlock skills and traits that weren't being used in your build before the patch, and people were complaining about it in guild chat.
Yeah, basically there is a specific order to unlocking the skills it seems.

For my Engineer for example, Flamethrower kit is first, and then Grenade Kit.

I had Grenade kit unlocked, but not flamethrower, but since that is now before Grenade kit, it automatically unlocked.

For Necro, im level 36, and the entire Corruption Trait line unlocked, but all I had before was a few trait points unlocked in Spite.

Not really a big deal I suppose, but noticeable none the less.

Retro

Bug Fixes:

General

• Fixed a bug in which received whispers were not displaying properly in the chat window.
  • Seraph guard: Removed the conversation option that points to profession trainers, as they no longer exist.
  • Fixed a bug that caused bandit crests to drop at inappropriate rates from Mordremoth’s champion during the Breach events.
  • Fixed a crash that occurred in PvP when attempting to spectate other players.
  • Minor traits will no longer appear locked when logging in to PvP for the first time after the update.

Professions
Guardian
  • Glacial Heart: Added a skill fact for reduced recharge. Fixed a bug so that this will correctly apply the reduced recharge to hammer skills.
  • Mesmer
  • Maim the Disillusioned: Reduced the torment from 2 stacks for 6 seconds to 1 stack for 6 seconds.

Necromancer
  • Signets of Suffering: This trait will now only grant might when a signet is successfully cast.

Ranger
  • Instinctive Reaction: Added a health-threshold skill fact.

Thief
  • Don’t Stop: This trait no longer grants stability when revealed is applied.
  • Backstab: This will now only apply revealed when you hit a foe.
  • No Quarter: Instead of extending the duration of a single stack of fury, this trait will now apply its own stacks of fury to avoid allowing fury to reach unintended durations.

Warrior
  • Berserker’s Power: You are now required to hit with the burst skill. This will trigger in the same way as the trait Cleansing Ire.

So, uh, I haven't really been paying attention in a long time. Why does my view distance seem awful in Lion's Arch (I have it set to ultra) and did they change the camera FOV at some point? It used to center high to my character's chest, now it's about in the waist.

Maybe it's all the fog or something, but it just feels so empty and bland.

I noticed the low draw distance in LA as well.

But I also noticed a much smoother performance. Do you think that might have something to do with it? they reduced the max draw distance to make it easier on low end systems?

Proven

Tried 5 builds today and make sure to win at least 1 game with each. They work, so I'm happy, and now all that's left is to see how they stand up when the meta settles. And spend my evenings picking a class and queuing with GAFers. That Maim the Disillusioned netf was quick though.

Something I realized about Vuin on on Consume Conditions; while it's too short a duration for power builds, condi builds will already have damaging conditions up and thus should get on average 2 seconds with 10% more condi damage on top of whatever Vuin stacks are already there.

Moondrop

Banned
Better access to Quickness without the previous downsides is likely to be the major answer of power builds to the condi buffs. Rangers already had it, and now I've built it into my engi and thief builds. Perhaps I should find a way to get quickness on my DS necro via runes...

Haven't played GW2 in awhile, might jump back in. I have this horrible problem where I always have to make a new character whenever I come back, probably because of all the changes. It sucks because I've never been able to get a character to the level cap yet I've gotten probably around 5 characters to around 45-50.

Any suggestions on which class to play as right now? Leaning towards ranger, guardian or warrior (only class I haven't tried).

Reading up on some of the classes at the official forums makes it sound like they are all doing horrible or something. Except warrior.

Retro

Any suggestions on which class to play as right now? Leaning towards ranger, guardian or warrior (only class I haven't tried).

Reading up on some of the classes at the official forums makes it sound like they are all doing horrible or something. Except warrior.

All three of those are solid choices.

And never read the Official Forums, they make everything sound horrible.

Aquila

Haven't had much of chance to explore the new LA yet, but the opening cutscene definitely shows off how magnificent it always should have been. I can't wait for it to be destroyed again in 'Living World Season 3 - Scarlett Strikes Back: Electric Boogaloo.'

Spyware

did they change the camera FOV at some point? It used to center high to my character's chest, now it's about in the waist.
There was this huge Camera Change thingie some months ago.

Haven't played GW2 in awhile, might jump back in. I have this horrible problem where I always have to make a new character whenever I come back, probably because of all the changes. It sucks because I've never been able to get a character to the level cap yet I've gotten probably around 5 characters to around 45-50.

Never read the official forum, as said ;P
Warrior is the most "basic" class, so that's why it works for so many people. You can basically never go wrong with it. You can of course be better or worse, but never really useless. :p The others are more complex and some are quite hard to master, but fun when they click with you.
I understand the "restart problem", especially if the game can't keep you interested. Why do you stop at 45-50? I mean, can you identify why you don't keep playing?

There was this huge Camera Change thingie some months ago.

Never read the official forum, as said ;P
Warrior is the most "basic" class, so that's why it works for so many people. You can basically never go wrong with it. You can of course be better or worse, but never really useless. :p The others are more complex and some are quite hard to master, but fun when they click with you.
I understand the "restart problem", especially if the game can't keep you interested. Why do you stop at 45-50? I mean, can you identify why you don't keep playing?

I have no idea...but I hate it. I do this with a lot of RPG's so it's just something wrong with me lol

I'll eventually get over it and get one character to the cap.

Wanderer5

So much time on the Karka heh, and then I found out about the new JP that has you jumping on the roofs, wires, and all, and man I love it, even if it a bit annoying and long lol (heck I only got to the first part of the key). Also did some running with the flamethrower in FP heh.

Well Karka done, JP 1/4 done, hardly test my builds.:p I should do more testing tomorrow.XD

Aquila

Probably overlooked it in patch notes but am I suppose to have to repurchase random utility skills that I had previously unlocked?

Levyne

Banned
I missed the update day energy of the guild for GW2. It had been faaar too long. I hope they can pepper in some more updates more frequently, even if they are significantly smaller in scope. Had fun karka hunting and learning the new jumping puzzle with appletoasty and ike, dungeoning with retro and vilj along, and then joining ryuu for pvp. You guys the best.

To reply to the above as well. I wouldn't call Warrior "basic". Maybe "Straightforward", but even then, they are extremely versatile and that's underselling them. I guess thematically maybe they are a simple concept. But they are a strong class and Ike was gushing about the changes most of the night so I think they are in a good place, lol.

I like Guard and Ranger. Ranger is a conceptually cool class and I feel has a high-ish skill ceiling, even though some of that stems from learning how to deal with some potentially awkward mechanics involving the pet more than anything. They are an easy-mode open-world or story pve class though since you can have two other health pools tank everything for you. Not as convenient in dungeons but a cool thing to try to master. Guardian I feel provides a fair bit more party-support in an instanced setting, but I actually don't enjoy it in the open world as much. Maybe I'm still just not used to it.

I'm pretty sure a guild jumping puzzle event this weekend is going to be a thing, btw. Though maybe too many people will have done it by then anyways? I dunno.

Morokh

Probably overlooked it in patch notes but am I suppose to have to repurchase random utility skills that I had previously unlocked?

Yes, and being level 80 is enough to be able to buy them all, and if you did some kind of map completion and did skill challenges you'll have extra.

The first time they announced this system they said you would need to be 80 and complete at least 60 or so skill challenges, but they seem to have changed it close to releasing it, so 'buying' the skills again might come from there.

This patch makes me happy. The new Lion's Arch is such a wonderful place to explore and play in, and all of the new game features are so well done. ArenaNet freaking nailed it.

Ike will be thrilled to find out tge warrior spec is apparently called "berserker" and the gallant skins might be what he wanted for some weapons.

They are some really nice skins.

We knew the traits for a good time now. Ike even called out these changes last week, so its more that theorycrafters were holding their guns until they were sure nothing changed from the last preview to today's release.

Strength Runes have already climbed from 8g to over 13g. I was too scared to actually try profiting from them though. Oh well.

...Had fun karka hunting and learning the new jumping puzzle with appletoasty and ike, dungeoning with retro and vilj along...

Yep! Probably the most fun I have had in-game in several months.

...Ike was gushing about the changes most of the night so I think they are in a good place, lol.

PvE Warrior is in the best place it's ever been. It's brilliant.

People post in forums about the stuff they don't like. Not many people go to the forums to basically say "look at what my class can do! It's amazing!". People are highly invested in their characters. The way you build it, the gold you have gotten to get specific gear (armor, weapons, runes, sigils, accessories, trinkets).

Here is the good news: All classes are fantastic. All of them are really good. Even the ones people are jaded about excels at things. You might hear vocal Ranger and Necro fans being mad, but the truth is, that there are modes of play where they are really good. You might hear thieves complain that they are not support heavy enough (bring enough to the group) but they fantastic at other things.

I applaud you to go with what you think is most fun. Tip; After doing a tutorial (takes 4-8 minutes) you can press the pvp icon in the top corner, and go to the "heart of the mists". In this PvP lobby you can use all the skills, traits and actions and equip almost any gear. You can test the weapons, the skills on NPCs dummies and do practice matches even though you are only lvl 2.
This will tell you something about what sort of weapons you think are the most fun.

Tip 2; If you feel like you have to start over if you are not sticking around, try and not do the personal story. LvL to 80 without it. Then when you got a character at the cap, run through the entire thing. Then you are not losing that aspect of it.

Tip 3; Diversify. The problem most people make is that they play the game like other games. Don't. Literally explore. Go to the merchant pick up some harvesting tools, and harvest everything that you find. It gives good xp. do all the events you see. try and complete zones if you are a completionist. There is a "done that" feeling when you have cleared and discovered an entire map including the jumping puzzle.

Start by 100% all the starting zones. When you go to Lions Arch do all the racial starting zones, discover everything in the racial capital cities (and Lions Arch). Then you should be pretty high up.
When you are in the GAF guild you get 10% more ep on kill. And if you buy some cheap foods on TP you also get another 10% xp. And if you also buy the other consumeables (sharpening stone) they will give another 10% xp. So run around with a whole bunch in your bag.

When you are lost or have been exploring a lot and you cant find stuff to do, press B and pop into Eye of the Mists (EOTM) here you will find a community of people who are levelling up characters by following a train (they run around a whole group of people in a big blob and try to capture as many areas as possible. People try to lvl as fast as possible. Not only do you get good xp, but you also get good karma, gear, and WvW rank. It can be really fun when you have a commander who tries to sabotage the other teams zergs.

And then go into the city and craft. Crafting is easy and fun and all the stuff you found harvesting, just sits in your bank. Might as well make use of it and sell it. Crafting will also yield good experience.

You will have a lvl 80 in no time. You have 5 character slots, so commit to not delete a character. In fact, I suggest you make 5 characters with names you like. And then promise yourself not to delete them. Altohocalism starts at procrastinating on not working on the existing character. There is always a new character to make, and things progress and evolve fast in the beginning.

Spyware

To reply to the above as well. I wouldn't call Warrior "basic". Maybe "Straightforward", but even then, they are extremely versatile and that's underselling them. I guess thematically maybe they are a simple concept. But they are a strong class and Ike was gushing about the changes most of the night so I think they are in a good place, lol.
Oh I love warrior and don't at all mean to undersell them! I really love every single one of mine, but I do think they are easier to play than every other class.

Great post.

Thanks for all the advice! I've been playing off and on since release but I do forget stuff and the game changes so much that I sometimes have trouble getting back into it.

Like, I am pretty sure I had no idea about EOFTM and that it was another viable way to level.

I've been playing as a guardian for a few hours now and decided to go into the pvp lobby to check out the specs and stuff.

I know it was never a good idea to go full support build but any chance that it's a bit more viable now?

Hedge

I hope they reveal the mechanics for the Druid specialization soon. I created a ranger months ago in the hopes that it'll be fun to play. Also, that they'll add medium armor that is more nature-oriented, so I don't have to wear another trench coat. I'm using the heritage medium armor for him, but I'd like other options pleasseeee.

The dataminded image for the Druid specialization didn't really give anything away. D:
I'm secretly hoping for a DnD druid, but I know that'll never happen, because Anet hates shapeshifting mechanics. I wish I could recreate my awesome 5th ED spellcasting wolf druid. ;_;

UltraMav

So I am in need of some fractal experience in order to get Mawdrey. Would it be possible to get involved in a guild run so that I do not broadcast my noobitude to randoms?

Moondrop

Banned
I'm secretly hoping for a DnD druid, but I know that'll never happen, because Anet hates shapeshifting mechanics. I wish I could recreate my awesome 5th ED spellcasting wolf druid. ;_;
Literally my worst fear for Druid. Go roll a Norn or play PoE. :p

I tried more engi flamethrower with knight's amulet and there's definitely something there for putting AoE pressure on a point. But it's kind of silly to work on power builds right now with conditions so strong.

I'm pretty sure a guild jumping puzzle event this weekend is going to be a thing, btw. Though maybe too many people will have done it by then anyways? I dunno.

Guild events!! Yes please! I would normally think jumping puzzles in a group would be a nightmare but I think it's necessary for this one. Bring out your mesmers people, you're gonna need em

So I am in need of some fractal experience in order to get Mawdrey. Would it be possible to get involved in a guild run so that I do not broadcast my noobitude to randoms?

I'll go if it's on a weekend or something. Was there anyone else that needed some low level fractals? We could set up a newbie fractal run. :eek:

Quenk

I'll be up for this if I'm online for it. Also, doing the runs on days with a fractal daily will help get those pristine relics.

Rawk Hawk

Just to clarify I suggest Pillars of Eternity because it is Baldur's Gate 3 with your style of druid. No one has to leave GW2 to play it.

Glad you clarified, I thought you meant Path of Exile and was kind of confused. I may have to check that one out though.

On a side note, last night I spent a decent amount of time following the Tour Guide NPC around the new LA, some of their dialog is pretty funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom