• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| We've got fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trey

That note is a pretty big deal as far as how world bosses were playing out. They're still gonna get #rekt2015 but it'll be a little less so when stuff like Blood is Power isn't applying Might to everyone in radius instead of just 5 people. Apparently Guardian buffs for Might and Quickness were doing it too. Not sure how many skills were affected overall, but apparently it was widespread across classes.

Did a tequatl that got to phase within two minutes. You'd come out of the burn with like a minute stack of quickness.

It was kind if awesome, but it made the taco fight that much more trivial.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
Ok so I bought this game on release, and had probably put maybe 5-6 hours into it over the years. I could just never get into it, and it was sad. I tried all classes, but the highest I ever got was level 22.

This weekend I had a ton of free time, and I was going to uninstall the game and for some reason I decided.. one more try.

Well, boom... something clicked.

I now have 20+ hours and am having a blast, and I have not even played any multiplayer stuff. I am just doing world PvE.

I don't know what changed, but who cares right? I am having FUN.

Anyway, just thought I would share.

EDIT: I have no clue what I am doing, I am letting the game teach me stuff as I level.

Retro

Ok so I bought this game on release, and had probably put maybe 5-6 hours into it over the years. I could just never get into it, and it was sad. I tried all classes, but the highest I ever got was level 22.

This weekend I had a ton of free time, and I was going to uninstall the game and for some reason I decided.. one more try.

Well, boom... something clicked.

I now have 20+ hours and am having a blast, and I have not even played any multiplayer stuff. I am just doing world PvE.

I don't know what changed, but who cares right? I am having FUN.

Anyway, just thought I would share.

EDIT: I have no clue what I am doing, I am letting the game teach me stuff as I level.

I love stories like this, glad to hear you're having fun. There have been a HUGE amount of changes in the last ~3 years. One of them was actually an overhaul of the in-game tutorials and leveling process that seems to be helping you out.

Let us know if you'd like an invite to the GAF Guild. Just post your character name.#### here in the thread.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
I love stories like this, glad to hear you're having fun. There have been a HUGE amount of changes in the last ~3 years. One of them was actually an overhaul of the in-game tutorials and leveling process that seems to be helping you out.

Let us know if you'd like an invite to the GAF Guild. Just post your character name.#### here in the thread.

Thanks, I figure I will level up a bit solo for now. I am only level 16 and my current guy, I want to at least get to where I was before.

Whoa, I had no idea they restored the old Lions Arch in the personal story. So when you get to lvl 30 you can see LA as it was. And they reinstated the personal story part they had taken out, and the final mission now being solo-able? Very nice changes. Particularly for new players!

Shiokazu

Whoa, I had no idea they restored the old Lions Arch in the personal story. So when you get to lvl 30 you can see LA as it was. And they reinstated the personal story part they had taken out, and the final mission now being solo-able? Very nice changes. Particularly for new players!

we can see tibalt again?

;-; the feels...

tybalt_leftpaw.jpg

Thorgal

The damage increase leads to some funny (and broken)moments.

Who needs siege in WVW when a zerg can simply chew through doors?

Tequatl is apparently getting killed before the 12 minute mark.

The damage increase leads to some funny (and broken)moments.

Who needs siege in WVW when a zerg can simply chew through doors?

Tequatl is apparently getting killed before the 12 minute mark.

Teq time mark is only 1 min ahead of a TTS server, i would love to get into a TTS server and see what their time is,

Moondrop

Banned
Knight's amulet was kind of boring for flamethrower. I think this will be my new engineer BBQ build:

Juggernaut/HGH/Bunker Down
Healing Turret/Flamethrower/Elixir S/Elixir U/Elixir Moa
Pistol/Shield + Air/Fire sigils
Berserker amulet + Strength runes

The basic strategy is to stack might merely by having flamethrower equipped, turn 'em into moas, pop quickness, and then watch the world burn. If you face resistance, your elixirs remove condis, stack might, provide effects like stealth, reflect, and invulnerability, and there are defensive utility skills on the pistol, shield, and flamethrower.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Knight's amulet was kind of boring for flamethrower. I think this will be my new engineer BBQ build:

Juggernaut/HGH/Bunker Down
Healing Turret/Flamethrower/Elixir S/Elixir U/Elixir Moa
Pistol/Shield + Air/Fire sigils
Berserker amulet + Strength runes

The basic strategy is to stack might merely by having flamethrower equipped, turn 'em into moas, pop quickness, and then watch the world burn. If you face resistance, your elixirs remove condis, stack might, provide effects like stealth, reflect, and invulnerability, and there are defensive utility skills on the pistol, shield, and flamethrower.
I'm still an engi newb, why Healing Turret instead of Elixir H if you're going with HGH?

edit: I'm just learning now from the reddit that the new trait icons are what appear on your bar if you're affected or an ally is by some unique status (instead of the old squares with the number of that trait... useless). Some of them are pretty hilarious icons.

nataku

Do LA sewer tunnels still exist? Anyone been able to go to the hidden Order of Whispers base that you accessed through the sewers?

I haven't seen them. There's a spot on the map now labeled Order of Whispers HQ. It's just a round, boring tavern looking place. Now in it's place there is just a port to the Chantry of Secrets in that tavern.

spiritfox

I'm still an engi newb, why Healing Turret instead of Elixir H if you're going with HGH?

edit: I'm just learning now from the reddit that the new trait icons are what appear on your bar if you're affected or an ally is by some unique status (instead of the old squares with the number of that trait... useless). Some of them are pretty hilarious icons.

Mug is... a mug.

Moondrop

Banned
At first healing turret seems unwieldy, but once you've got the timing down on the overcharge, its versatility is unparalleled. It essentially has multiple branching options: deploy and pick up for partial heal on reduced CD or deploy and overcharge for gigantic water field, full heal, and condi cleanse (one more than elixir h), from which point you can pick it up to reduce the CD, leave it out for periodic partial heals, or detonate for a healing blast finisher. And of course you've got lots of other engi blast finishers to drop in the water field. Plus the toolbelt skill is a brief duration water field you can blast quickly if necessary.

spiritfox

At first healing turret seems unwieldy, but once you've got the timing down on the overcharge, its versatility is unparalleled. It essentially has multiple branching options: deploy and pick up for partial heal on reduced CD or deploy and overcharge for gigantic water field, full heal, and condi cleanse (one more than elixir h), from which point you can pick it up to reduce the CD, leave it out for periodic partial heals, or detonate for a healing blast finisher. And of course you've got lots of other engi blast finishers to drop in the water field. Plus the toolbelt skill is a brief duration water field you can blast quickly if necessary.

Not to mention that a good engie can deploy, overcharge, and blast water in about a sec or 2, making it one of the best healing skills in the game.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
thanks. I forgot flamethrower and shield both have blasts too, that's pretty cool.

Levyne

Banned
I feel like the Guild hasn't had many chances to do anything together in a large-ish group in a while. Luckliy with the update there seems to be a little bit more energy in the game recently. I can't think of a better time for something like this:

GAF Jumping Puzzle Event: Troll's Revenge
Sunday, June 28th after make-up missions (~5:00pm ET)

The new jumping puzzle in LA is quite cool and while it is an extensive trip around a good chunk of New LA, I feel like it doesn't meander as much as the silverwaste puzzle and would make a good group event. I had a lot of fun completing it with a couple of GAF and figuring out all the little details of how the puzzle leads the player through visual cues and the like.

Anyone is welcome to participate. I hope to see a lot of people there, whether you had already done the puzzle by then or not. Bring Mesmers! Because there are no real checkpoints to retry from what I could tell. I hope that we can get a lot of people through without them having to resort to following a dulfy guide by themselves or something boring like that (I see people selling ports to the portions of the puzzle, pretty lame imo).

And of course, I'm sure there will be a picture opportunity at the end, the most important part.

I hope the time works for most of you! We can shift it around if another time seems more appropriate.

Another maybe obvious but important thing to note, there is no level or experience requirement for the event on Sunday! You could make a level 2 character an hour before and still be able to fully participate. All you need is the ability to jump around and (preferably) listen/talk on Mumble so we can all help each other out. :eek:

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I feel like the Guild hasn't had many chances to do anything together in a large-ish group in a while. Luckliy with the update there seems to be a little bit more energy in the game recently. I can't think of a better time for something like this:

GAF Jumping Puzzle Event: Troll's Revenge
Sunday, June 28th after make-up missions (~5:00pm ET)

The new jumping puzzle in LA is quite cool and while it is an extensive trip around a good chunk of New LA, I feel like it doesn't meander as much as the silverwaste puzzle and would make a good group event. I had a lot of fun completing it with a couple of GAF and figuring out all the little details of how the puzzle leads the player through visual cues and the like.

Anyone is welcome to participate. I hope to see a lot of people there, whether you had already done the puzzle by then or not. Bring Mesmers! Because there are no real checkpoints to retry from what I could tell. I hope that we can get a lot of people through without them having to resort to following a dulfy guide by themselves or something boring like that (I see people selling ports to the portions of the puzzle, pretty lame imo).

And of course, I'm sure there will be a picture opportunity at the end, the most important part.

I hope the time works for most of you! We can shift it around if another time seems more appropriate.
Woo! I can hold off trying it til then and bring my Mesmer. Can't wait to see it.

nataku

Speaking of mesmers, weren't we supposed to shatter along with our phantasms and illusions? I don't :/

I do? Not sure why you wouldn't. I ran around LA on Tuesday just hitting my shatter skills testing it out. I logged in just now again to test it, too.

EDIT: Or maybe not. It seems the effect plays, but nothing actually happens. I just tried it on actual mobs.

Ashodin

Thinking of doing my own event where people transform into karka, hide, and other people use the guns from LA to find and shoot them.

Minamu

I do? Not sure why you wouldn't. I ran around LA on Tuesday just hitting my shatter skills testing it out. I logged in just now again to test it, too.

EDIT: Or maybe not. It seems the effect plays, but nothing actually happens. I just tried it on actual mobs.
I've been playing my main every day since the patch and I've never seen myself break. No idea what to look for really, unless it's super obvious?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I've been playing my main every day since the patch and I've never seen myself break. No idea what to look for really, unless it's super obvious?
Haha, did you ever use the illusionary persona trait?

Sucks if it's not working though...

hnnnngh there's an illusion trait now called the The Pledge that pairs with torch, that's so cool I'm going to pop a blood vessel.

nataku

Yeah, there's an animation to it around your character. It's pretty big. Each shatter has a different one.

Spyware

Still not done with builds. Have Ranger, Thief and Warrior left to fix. I made 5 different builds for the classes I've fixed but Ranger has me completely stumped. Feels like I'm just making 5 variants of the same build. Ugh.

I have started working on the Season 2 achievements. Working on Dulfys guide! After that, finish up Drytop and remaining Silverwaste achievements. I'm only 800 AP from 10,000! A good number to feel HoT and ready!

Ashodin

Still not done with builds. Have Ranger, Thief and Warrior left to fix. I made 5 different builds for the classes I've fixed but Ranger has me completely stumped. Feels like I'm just making 5 variants of the same build. Ugh.
Ranger builds are vastly different I feel. The remorseless trait is goddamn amazing.

Minamu

Haha, did you ever use the illusionary persona trait?

Sucks if it's not working though...

hnnnngh there's an illusion trait now called the The Pledge that pairs with torch, that's so cool I'm going to pop a blood vessel.
Hmm is that trait a requirement? I don't know any of the trait's names tbh xD

Yeah, there's an animation to it around your character. It's pretty big. Each shatter has a different one.
So weird, I use my shatters sometimes several times per fight and I haven't noticed anything xD Maybe my graphics settings are too low or something.

Proven

Thanks bro, I'll be watchin'. Interested to see what's going down.

I see you on the stream and are well versed with twitch-ese, lol.

Edit: You know way more faces than me. I'm pretty much just on variations of Kappa.

Edit 2: Ended up being a less serious weekly than I thought. TCG ran away with it while using builds close to their usual pre-patch. Helseth made a comment in chat at one point that they'll be saving new things for WTS in August.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom