• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| We've got fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Proven

You know what I realized I want? I want an open world dungeon that scales in difficulty as I delve into it. Possibly make it procedural, as I dislike the Fractal Instanibility meta. Have it be soloable, and bringing a party just means you can delve farther for longer. Each level could have extra mini games or challenges or whatever, so it's not just a mad dash to the next level. Basically, I want an evolution of the Tower of Nightmares.

Alternatively just give us a new Fisssure of Woe. Arah is close to it in map design but not mechanical (i.e. It's a dungeon path). Just an explorable zone that isn't a simple walk in the park. Closest I have for my preferences right now is the Silverwastes.

I think it's because lately I've been thinking of action RPGs like Tales...

Retro

Looks like GW2 will be at Gamescom;
We’re excited to let you know that ArenaNet will be at gamescom in Cologne, Germany, from August 5 through 9. We will be showing off Guild Wars: Heart of Thorns at the Twitch booth in Hall 9. A lot has changed since we were at the show last year. Stop on by, meet members of the Guild Wars 2 team, and get some yourself some hands-on with HoT!

I positively love gamescom, and I’m super excited to be going to this amazing show. If you’re going, too, post here so I can watch for you at the show! (source)

Hopefully we have a release date by then.

You know what I realized I want? I want an open world dungeon that scales in difficulty as I delve into it. Possibly make it procedural, as I dislike the Fractal Instanibility meta. Have it be soloable, and bringing a party just means you can delve farther for longer. Each level could have extra mini games or challenges or whatever, so it's not just a mad dash to the next level. Basically, I want an evolution of the Tower of Nightmares.

Alternatively just give us a new Fisssure of Woe. Arah is close to it in map design but not mechanical (i.e. It's a dungeon path). Just an explorable zone that isn't a simple walk in the park. Closest I have for my preferences right now is the Silverwastes.

I think it's because lately I've been thinking of action RPGs like Tales...

I'm not dismissing your idea because I actually think it would be cool as hell, but the problem with it being open world is that you'd have people zerg it, even if you use all sorts of things to break the zerg up like Tower of Nightmares (alternative routes, doors that close suddenly, etc.). That also leads to it being a problem when people stop doing it; one guy may really want to do it, but can't the people he needs to progress. That's a problem with dungeons now too, but it's limited to only needing 4 people.

Now, as a temporary thing? Absolutely, because then people will want to run it a bunch before it's gone and when it comes back they'll all want to run it again. Leaving something awesome in the game is the best way to make sure nobody ever touches it again (which is why they'll never make SAB a permanent fixture; people will farm it for skins and then ignore it). Everyone loves the Labyrinthine Cliffs, but if it was a permanent part of the game it'd just be another corner of the world nobody goes to except to buy cooking ingredients in one convenient place.

I would love to see a multi-layered space that changes (doors open and close so the route is always different even if it's the same layout) and has a lot of teamwork-oriented objectives ("5 people must stand on two different switches far apart from each other to open the door...") and increasing difficulty.

Fuck it, just put Phantasy Star Online's Challenge Mode in there as a new type of Fractal already;
  • Everyone's gear is stripped. PSO also resets your character level to 1, but I'm not sure that would work with GW2 (instead, maybe all of your utility skills are locked but you can get Hero Points as drops).
  • The loot is insane but doesn't leave the mode, so instead of hoarding something like an Ascended greatsword that drops, you'd trade it to the Warrior or Mesmer because everyone is in it together and you want everyone to have the best gear they can.
  • The map is laid out so that doors can open and close, creating a different layout each time. Also lots of basic puzzles that force you to split up to stand on pressure plates and such.
  • Enemies spawn in large numbers and in a configuration that gives them advantages (like enemies that root you paired with enemies that hit like trucks).
  • Everyone has one "life" in the form of a "Scape Doll" item and if they die without one in their inventory, everyone fails (with GW2's rally system, that'd be even more generous).
  • It's timed; complete the mode faster to get a better rank for better rewards. PSO's S-Rank weapons could even be given custom names.
Even after all of these years, it's still one of the best online experiences I've ever had. Nobody could be greedy, everyone had to cooperate and stick together and watch each others' backs, it required caution and speed, wasn't farmable or easily memorized (at least not that I ever saw, people did eventually memorize all possible map configurations). If we failed, nobody even got pissed; we just went right back in and tried again (I suppose the lack of voice chat and the soft keyboard helped keep communication limited though). Still, a really great little thing that I'd love to see elsewhere.

Taffer

I read 'open world dungeon' as a sort of massive instance rather than a public event, not sure what Proven means now.
I've been having fun chasing S2 achievements recently, I'd go for more mini challenges I can jump into with or without a party whenever I fancy it.

Shiokazu

i'd like they made something like a long but permanent dungeon. something that took days to finish, or with many levels of depth. working like stages. maybe with a variety of themes going between every level.

i can see this being used if we have to beat primordus, a huge multistaged dungeon that goes downward, much like in the fashion of diablo.

could be in the same fashion as retro said.

Retro

I read 'open world dungeon' as a sort of massive instance rather than a public event, not sure what Proven means now.

I assumed he meant like the Tower of Nightmares, which was instanced but I believe allowed the same number of players in it as any other open-world map.

i'd like they made something like a long but permanent dungeon. something that took days to finish, or with many levels of depth. working like stages. maybe with a variety of themes going between every level.

I'd be happy if the "Root" biome layer in HoT is fully fleshed out as an insane network of caves with underground rivers and lakes, claustrophobic passages (we have first person camera now, after all), bottomless pits, pitch-black sections... the works. Let players go from one zone to the next without leaving the root biome, giving a sense that the network just winds on and on forever.

I went to Mammoth Caves as a kid and it left an impression, I guess. I also love the descriptions of Moria and Angband from Tolkien, where you just spend days or weeks without leaving the dark.

I think they're more likely to announce the release date at PAX Prime. I'd like an announcement sooner though.

I'll honestly be surprised if we're at the third anniversary and we don't have a release date yet, that seems like the milestone everyone is holding their breath for.

Proven

The GW2 at Gamescom news comes as a surprise. I mean, didn't we already know they were going to be there because of the WTS Finals happening there?

Retro, I forget that you played PSO too. My time with challenge mode was limited though, and I only played the game offline splitscreen with friends and family. That said, challenge mode would need a sharp GW2 twist to fit in. Same with Stronghold being similar to a MOBA, a lot of changes would be needed. However, PSO style challenge mode sounds like a fun possibility as a custom game in Heroes of the Storm...

And yes, "open world dungeon" most directly references Tower of Nightmares. I agree with Retro that it'd probably have to be a temporary thing, similar to Halloween's instance. Tower of Nightmare already incorporated many things that would make it work, like splitting waves of players and having scalable miniboss fights in various pods as you climbed up.

Retro

Retro, I forget that you played PSO too. My time with challenge mode was limited though, and I only played the game offline splitscreen with friends and family. That said, challenge mode would need a sharp GW2 twist to fit in. Same with Stronghold being similar to a MOBA, a lot of changes would be needed. However, PSO style challenge mode sounds like a fun possibility as a custom game in Heroes of the Storm...

I didn't play it that much either, sadly; back then $15 a month for a hunter's license was still pretty steep and that's back when I was paying my way through college and needed to save every penny I could. The small taste I had though left such a lasting impression that I'm almost afraid to try it again (I've played on free servers like svchost but I've actually avoided C-Mode because I'm worried about people taking it too seriously).

It would definitely need a twist, of course, to make it something unique to GW2. Loot isn't as big a factor as in PSO and lots of the things you'd want just aren't present (stat-boosting Material, for example). I don't think Runes / Sigils have enough oomph. I also think players just have too many build options in GW2 to replicate PSO's "thrown to the wolves naked" feeling, since you can eek out a lot of damage and survivability with just traits (and not allowing traits is going to be problematic for a lot of professions, leading to some serious elitism in groups).

But it's something I would love to see them try, and wish they had done with Fractals.

And yes, "open world dungeon" most directly references Tower of Nightmares. I agree with Retro that it'd probably have to be a temporary thing, similar to Halloween's instance. Tower of Nightmare already incorporated many things that would make it work, like splitting waves of players and having scalable miniboss fights in various pods as you climbed up.

I still think the Tower of Nightmares was an ingenious little experiment in zerg-busting, though we haven't seen it's key features (namely breaking up zergs with physical barriers and events) implemented anywhere else yet.

Quenk

I'll honestly be surprised if we're at the third anniversary and we don't have a release date yet, that seems like the milestone everyone is holding their breath for.

The start of PAX Prime is the same day as the anniversary of GW2 so they might tie in the announcement there. Gamescom sounds like it'll mostly be WTS and demoing stuff that was in the beta events that have happened since their last con showing.

Ashodin

I'd love some sort of progression style instance that plays like PSO. The one that's been previewed on Tyria3D seems right for it.

Retro

The start of PAX Prime is the same day as the anniversary of GW2 so they might tie in the announcement there. Gamescom sounds like it'll mostly be WTS and demoing stuff that was in the beta events that have happened since their last con showing.

I guess I was just holding out hope that they'd announce a release date before then, but it seems obvious now that it's July that it's probably not going to happen, so... bring on PAX Prime, I guess.

tiijj

At gamescon they'll announce that hot will be out soon™. At pax prime they'll announce that it will be out in 5... 4... 3... 2... 1... RIght NOW!!!

Quenk

Lucky. I hope there's an outbreak of Government-created Nanorobot infections and you all come down with a serious case of hot dog fingers.

Yay nanobots! I'll be ready for MGSV then. Also, are those the delicious hot dog fingers?

PAX prime is the only pax that I'd go to and, as usual, tickets are gone before I can get them. I guess I could try to make it to any outside event by Anet though. Maybe I could name drop Colin or something.

Ashodin

PAX prime is the only pax that I'd go to and, as usual, tickets are gone before I can get them. I guess I could try to make it to any outside event by Anet though. Maybe I could name drop Colin or something.

Sometimes ANet has extra badges if you can go! Don't count on it as a sure thing though.

Dead

well not really...yet
So, uhh, was a little bored. Bought 75 Black Lion Keys

Not quite as extreme as the dude on Reddit who spent $5000, lol, but here are the results:

1x Raven Mail Carrier
28x Black Lion Ticket Scraps
8x Gathering Boosters
10x Merchant Express
8x Tomes of Knowledge
12x Celebration Boosters
2x Revive Orbs
3x Crafting Boosters
22x Unidentified Dye
2x Communal Boost Bonfires
11x WXP Boosters
4x Large Guild Discovery
5x Speed Boosters
4x Instant Repair Cannisters
2x Black Lion Claim Tickets
7x Toy Miniature Eggs
4x Teleport to Friend
12x Transmutation Charges
2x Utility Primer
6x Armor Boosters
9x Bank Account Express
7x Strength Boosters
100x Black Lion Salvage Kit
12x Trading Post Express
9x XP Booster
1x Lotus Harvesting Node
5x Medium Crafting Bags
2x Killstreak Booster
4x Miniature Hawks
2x Dye Packs
12x Boost Enchantment Poweder
8x Magic Find Boosters
1x Total Makeover Kit
5x Rejuvenation Boosters
1x Glint's Winter Dye Kit
1x Mini Caithe
2x Frost Dye Kits
1x Pink Quaggan Backpack Set
3x Large Crafting Bags
1x Mini Marjory Delaqua
1x Shadow Dye Kit

Lotus Node is worth 81G. Was expecting more TOK and Ticket Scraps though

yukinon

bored photographer post

Dawnside Quay (Port Waypoint, Rata Sum)

edited (via photoshop cc)
9Pz8fnv.jpg

original
AnKkuNk.jpg

Never gamble in this game, i once farmed 100keys over a few months on only saw 1 Black Lion Claim Ticket and a bunch of crap, i would never waste money on keys...

Retro

FYI, Revenant / Stronghold test should begin today at 3pm Eastern / Noon Pacific and end at the same time Monday (as per this article).

There will also be an episode of Points of Interest starting at the same time on the official twitch channel.

Never gamble in this game, i once farmed 100keys over a few months on only saw 1 Black Lion Claim Ticket and a bunch of crap, i would never waste money on keys...

Yep, never buy keys. If they had a guaranteed drop rate on scraps, at least then it would be worth it because you'd be making progress towards something no matter what, but with even those being a total crap shoot it's just not worth it. Let the whales buy that stuff and use the TP for anything you want (if you're desperate to spend money in the game, just convert it to gold)

I used a makeover kit on my Elementalist. Still not positive I like her better now. It's hard making characters look different after getting used to them being one way for so long.

I know what you mean; sometimes I'll be playing and see someone walk by that looks really cool and grab a screenshot, but when I go to try and replicate it it ends up looking less appealing than I initially thought. For what it's worth, I think she looks great.

Rawk Hawk

I used a makeover kit on my Elementalist. Still not positive I like her better now. It's hard making characters look different after getting used to them being one way for so long.

I'm with Retro, I think she looks really cool.

Season 2 Pack was on sale, so I grabbed it last night and started it up. Sort of wish I could do the same with Season 1, to see all that I missed in my hiatus, but glad I'm able to play through some of it at least.

Baleoce

I played at launch for a bit with some friends but I've basically taken a massive break and been playing FFXIV. I find XIVs PvP to be both inaccessible and not very well thought out, also none of my friends are really that into it. What's the state of GW2's PvP and WvWvW nowadays?

spiritfox

I played at launch for a bit with some friends but I've basically taken a massive break and been playing FFXIV. I find XIVs PvP to be both inaccessible and not very well thought out, also none of my friends are really that into it. What's the state of GW2's PvP and WvWvW nowadays?

It's still very active. You can just jump into PvP with a new character, since it's normalized to max lvl.

Since launch there has been many updates and additions. There is a really nice reward progression system for both. You have real incentive now. And unlike at launch the game unifies the skins of PvE and PvP which is nice.
You have a stat-overlay system in the top of the screen. You pick your pvp stats and your pvp traits, and they sort of take over your traits and gear in PvE. It's really nice. Makes it easy to play a specific role without it being annoying to translate back into pve or equip other gear sets.
However, the thing we are waiting for is build editors so we can save builds. We think they are working on it, and they might be close!! *excited squeel*

In WvW you increase in Rank, and get these points that make you better at stuff. In Structured PvP you can earn reward tracks - you pick a track and you can unlock stuff like dungeon armor, gold, karma, and other really nice useful items.
Edge of the Mists is this newer WvW mode which is beautiful but its terrain is completely messed up so you dont have the usual WvW fights. People are using it to lvl mostly, but when you clash with the other zergs/and enemies, lawwwwl. :)

Balancing wise we are leading up into an expansion, and we are in between a major overhaul. all the talent specialization systems have been overhauled, and changes have been made to the way you do DoT damage. That has caused havoc on the balancing, and more changes are coming.
If you are going into it, wanting to play high lvl sPvP now, you will find the meta a mess. I find it hilarious though. Everything is super unpredictable and kind of fun. They are doing weekly balancing of all the classes leading up to the expansion to equalize it.
And when expansion comes out, everyone has a new specialization, a new weapon, new mechanics, there will be new types of gear combos and they are adding a new class. All in all that seems to be coming more dedicated support roles. It's very exciting but chaotic right now:)

It really depends on you; Either you can wait until expansion hits and play with a massive influx of people starting out for the first time, or you can get yourself ready and put yourself in a nice spot.
Everything is available to you in sPvP.

In WvW things are okay, but people are waiting for the expansion to bring a new map, and new features (airship bombardments and so on) and increased emphasis on defending a taken castle. So there is that.
I really like the PvP in this game, but right now is just so crazy haha. They had to disable a few skills because someone could be one-shotted:D
I really like the new specializations though. As a Warrior they are super cool. And I can't wait for what we are getting!! Please be staffxD

Proven

We have a changelog for this weekend's Stronghold Beta: https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/pvp/Stronghold-Change-List-7-10/first#post5267833

Unfortunately, I'm going to be out tonight. Oh well.

Huge Norfolk said:
Hi all,
Below you can find a list of changes that have been implemented since the last Stronghold Beta. We’re especially interested in feedback on the new Mist Champion and the new overtime mechanic. Check out Stronghold during this weekend’s “Revenant and Stronghold Beta” and let us know what you think!
-Hugh and the PvP team

Supply
  • The way that players gather supply at the depot in the center of the map has changed.
  • Each supply pile only has a maximum of 2 supply in it at any given time.
  • Supply piles will replenish their stores after 15 seconds.
  • NOTE: There is a known issue where if player A finishes a channel while player B finishes channeling, it will cancel player B’s channel and not give them supply.
Stronghold trebuchet changes
  • Trebuchets will now do increased damage to Door Breakers and Archers
  • Trebuchets shots will now remove up to 25 stacks of stability from any targets they hit prior to knocking them down.
NPC/Champion Changes
  • Mist Champions
    • The Mist Champion system is now available in the PvP Build Menu.
    • More information on the Mist Champion system can be found in our recent blog, found here.
  • Archers
    • Archers prioritize guards
    • Archers also do increased damage to guards
    • Archers move faster
  • Guards
    • Guards prioritize Door Breakers
  • Door Breakers
    • Door Breakers prioritize doors
“Behind Enemy Lines”
  • Enemies inside your stronghold now have a buff on them “Behind Enemy Lines”
  • Behind Enemy Lines – Dying while in the enemy stronghold will cause you to drop 2 supply even if you don’t currently have supply
Overtime
  • If a game goes to time (0:00) and a lord is engaged, the game will not end. It will continue on until one of the following conditions has been met:
  • A lord is stomped
  • Both lords are out of combat
  • Overtime lasts longer than 6 (-6:00) minutes

Supply changes (including the Behind Enemy Lines buff) are the biggest balance addition, followed by the diversifying of Archers. Overtime has also been implemented, by popular request.

Retro

Just remember, all my freshly-minted mist-walkers, that it's a beta character and gets wiped so... don't put too much effort into it just to attend missions and burn yourself out.

Unfortunately, I'm going to be out tonight. Oh well.

Thanks for posting that. The test is going to run all weekend, so you can miss tonight and still enjoy it tomorrow, perhaps?

Retro

You can create a Revenant now! They are early.

Still only to create Human revenants, that's very odd. I wonder if there's a reason for that beyond "We don't have the animations / voice acting done yet", perhaps some kind of racial skill component they haven't addressed yet.

Proven

Just remember, all my freshly-minted mist-walkers, that it's a beta character and gets wiped so... don't put too much effort into it just to attend missions and burn yourself out.

Thanks for posting that. The test is going to run all weekend, so you can miss tonight and still enjoy it tomorrow, perhaps?

Yeah, my schedule for tomorrow cleared, so I should get some time in. I just wanted to be off to the races the second the gates opened. Oh well.

Wait, if the Revenant uses the beta character slot I might actually make one. Otherwise I'm going to wait until it's closer to completed.

Spyware

Still only to create Human revenants, that's very odd. I wonder if there's a reason for that beyond "We don't have the animations / voice acting done yet", perhaps some kind of racial skill component they haven't addressed yet.
I had to go back and see if I skipped over that part in the announcement but didn't find anything. So disappointeeeed.

...yes, I care too much about silly stuff. :p

Btw, the beta characters are played on sort of a "cloned version" of your account. You can spend the money and transmutation charges (and such) freely on them because it doesn't matter for your real account. It's basically a different account in your account. Accountception!

Wanderer5

I had to go back and see if I skipped over that part in the announcement but didn't find anything. So disappointeeeed.

Did they say it? Oh well I guess lol, but I was preparing to make a charr. I make a dante wannabe then heh.

Retro

You're not alone, I'm planning to go Norn and I was disappointed to see it's not an option. Oh well.

Also, can confirm; no underwater weapons in this beta.

Guilds appear to be disabled as well, so probably no Revenants at missions unless they're okay not getting comms.

Quenk

Btw, the beta characters are played on sort of a "cloned version" of your account. You can spend the money and transmutation charges (and such) freely on them because it doesn't matter for your real account. It's basically a different account in your account. Accountception!

That's good to hear. I wonder what that means for things like rewards that are per account and drops you get on your beta account.

Guilds appear to be disabled as well, so probably no Revenants at missions unless they're okay not getting comms.

Maybe I'll play on a Revenant for makeups once I get my comms on Saturday.

Do the beta characters have all waypoints unlocked?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom