• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| We've got fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mace/Axe is pretty great with mallyx/jalis. With Invocation, jalis is a really good backup legend that provides stability after switching for the stunbreak. Paired with mallyx, it means that you can eat any lingering conditions on you and turn it into retribution and provides that stability rather lacking in the mallyx utilities.

Mallyx is a little complicated, but not terrible. Banish enchantment is a boon strip that gives condis, not unlike corrupt boon on necro.

Unyielding anguish is interesting, to say the least. It's like a ring of warding on guardian except that instead of blocking creatures from moving through, it teleports them across the area inside the circle. I will need to experiment in WvW, but I suspect it may be capable of sending people off the edge of cliffs. It's also a dark field, so yay more combos.

Then you get Pain Absorption, which is pretty good. It really shines in groups, though. Eating conditions of buddies and then getting resistance for it is great for pumping the heal on empowering misery and serving up condis on enemies through the elite stance.

Invocation:
The empty vessel trait is crazy awesome. Instant legend switch that stunbreaks. I wish I could stunbreak when switching attunements on my ele.
Cleansing channel helps with clearing off condis when switching off Mallyx.

Wanderer5

2015-07-10_00018_zpsopsdyuci.jpg

2015-07-10_00019_zpsmtlvb8ik.jpg

I had waaaay too much with the tablet last night heh.

Proven

I should note: WTS is in a month from now. you have the option of saving potions from PvP dailies up until we get the weekend boost then.

The same thing goes for the WvW event next week; you can save the potions from WvW dailies for that weekend too.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
awww some reason files corrupted got download again sad panda

TIL
necromancers are fun in pwep

all elementalists will love this.

basically we will be able to open every fight with tempest.

on PVP however...

unless i m missing the sarcasm, but isnt the whole point of the ele to attunement dance, spamming skills as needed?(also why i hate every weapon except staff, since I am not into playing like a bot)

Ashodin

TIL

unless i m missing the sarcasm, but isnt the whole point of the ele to attunement dance, spamming skills as needed?(also why i hate every weapon except staff, since I am not into playing like a bot)

Original base Elementalist, yes. Tempest seems to turn that on its head and say "the longer you stay in X attunement, the more benefits you get". Unsure though. We need more info.

Zeroth

TIL

Do you switch attunement every 4 seconds out of combat? Shiozaku's point is that you'll build up time before engaging since you usually sit on an element outside of combat.

Retro

Reminder: Guild Missions in 1 hour.
Because guilds are disabled for Beta Players, you will not receive any commendations or be able to see guild chat if you decide to play on a Revenant for tonight's missions. Sunday Makeups will run at 3pm Eastern time Tomorrow if you decide you'd like to try it, but I can't personally advise it.

QP3

Bought this game in college when it first came out. PLyade it a bunch, then classes overtook and it fell away. Started a new toon tonight and have been having a blast.

Anything a (long) returning player should know? Is it true I do not need to purchase any of the content that has come out since the original release? (excluding the expansion coming soon). Thanks!

Levyne

Banned
Bought this game in college when it first came out. PLyade it a bunch, then classes overtook and it fell away. Started a new toon tonight and have been having a blast.

Anything a (long) returning player should know? Is it true I do not need to purchase any of the content that has come out since the original release? (excluding the expansion coming soon). Thanks!

The only thing that could be interesting would be to grab the "Season Two Complete Pack" for some story episodes. Unfortunately, season one isn't available. And you can play the S2 content with someone else who has it if you know someone.

Other than that, a copper fed salvage o matic never hurts :p

QP3

The only thing that could be interesting would be to grab the "Season Two Complete Pack" for some story episodes. Unfortunately, season one isn't available. And you can play the S2 content with someone else who has it if you know someone.

Other than that, a copper fed salvage o matic never hurts :p

HA, I will keep this in mind. How early on can they be purchased?

Retro

Excellent Ascalon-themed Missions, everyone. Very quick run through Crystal challenge, Shortfuse Bounty, Langmar Puzzle and Chicken Rush. Congrats to all of the lotto winners as well.

Makeup Missions are tomorrow at 3pm Eastern / Noon Pacific. Volunteers are always welcome.

The Revenant / Stronghold Beta continues until 3pm Eastern / Noon Pacific on Monday.

HA, I will keep this in mind. How early on can they be purchased?

You can purchase them as early as you like, but they're for level 80 so you'd have to wait.

Shiokazu

I highly doubt that will be possible, similar to ds in pvp.

most people i know hang in air att outside of combat. because of speed bonus from expecs or swiftness. i see no point in switching outside of combat, i mean, even if its for the boons, why do you need them?

PVP is another complete story, and i dare say, even in WvW i sit long intervals in air too.

not to mention i have traveller's runes, but some people can(could? i dont know if dagger trait for speed is still there) put two daggers to go faster, or just equip the signet and then before engaging switch to whatever you want?

PVE and WvW are like that to me, specially since i always go in groups/armies ( my specs are for support, i can keep people alive for long periods. ) so... tempest will work just fine for me, considering that aspect.

Ashodin

They have tech now that doesn't activate stuff unless you're in combat, so likely they'd make sure Tempests aren't raging storms everywhere

Zeroth

Well, I mean, if we want to get technical, it's more accurate to compare it to Warrior's Adrenaline, and it's not a new tech. It's probable it will only start ticking when you enter combat.

Retro

Guild Mission Makeups in ~35 minutes.
Since most people got comms last night, if anyone wants to come along on a Revenant we can get a special group together to make sure they all know where to go since guild chat is disabled.

Shiokazu

They have tech now that doesn't activate stuff unless you're in combat, so likely they'd make sure Tempests aren't raging storms everywhere

Well, I mean, if we want to get technical, it's more accurate to compare it to Warrior's Adrenaline, and it's not a new tech. It's probable it will only start ticking when you enter combat.

... well... now that would need some adaptation.

but it wouldn't be much different from when you are using this trait: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Pyromancer's_Puissance where you sit in fire to build up might then switch to air/earth depending on the burst of damage you want/weapon you are using. its kind of tricky to maintain, but after two or three encounters you get the way.

Wanderer5

Heh heh feel like doing the arah event, even if it Path 4. Been a looooooooooong while since I went into exp, and it was a fail run at that.:p Granted things are probably a bit easier since then. Maybe it time to face this dungeon again at long last.

Shiokazu

Heh heh feel like doing the arah event, even if it Path 4. Been a looooooooooong while since I went into exp, and it was a fail run at that.:p Granted things are probably a bit easier since then. Maybe it time to face this dungeon again at long last.

that patch means nothing but nightmares.

Wanderer5

Well think I be in for it, with either my engi or warrior (which I probably need to tweak/get a new dungeon build together for him heh).

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3czh8f/wooden_potatoes_guild_wars_2_new_maguuma_teaser/ct0zl4g

ArenaColin said:
I think some of my point was either misunderstood or lost here, in particular reading Nikes comments on the youtube section so I'll try and clarify more simply:

We like the way combat works right now, we really don't plan to change it much other than add more options with elite specs. It works the way we intended: you can play control, support, and DPS actively. To folks who prefer to define by the holy trinity, Gw2 doesn't force you to pick one of the three from heal, tank, or DPS and only do that - it blends a mix depending on your build and allows you to actively swap roles or soft play between roles. Our goal was to remove the forced singular role per you're locked into, people often mistake this as saying gw2 has no trinity elements, that isn't true - we just don't believe in a forced role per for Gw2 for the reasons I covered in the live stream.

That said the point I really wanted to make in the live stream was the issue with the combat system in PvE isn't the combat system. It's that the mobs and encounters we have provided so far very rarely allow/encourage you to make use of the combat system as intended. There are some exceptions, but one of our goals with HoT is to help allow more room for players to experience the full range of the combat system in PvE. From the common world mobs up to the challenging group content we will talk about later, we are asking our design team to design encounters in PvE more focused on using the system we have built.

Hope that helps a bit! - CJ

I think I've talked about this with Retro and Zeroth a few times, and it's related to the World Boss discussion we had a while back. The game's combat is sublime, and all of the basic systems already exist to make fights that require in-depth strategies, but the way open-world PvE encounters happen right now is that groups are able to zerg around to events and completely subvert the intended mechanics (simply from the overwhelming number of players).

It's like one of the Champions in Malchor's Leap: I've seen large groups run up and melt through it without seeing the boss have a chance to fight back, but the day I played around soloing it, every time another player would run up to "help," they would instantly get wrecked and have to waypoint away in shame. They didn't understand the mechanics of the fight because they'd never actually been in a situation where the mechanics mattered for success. I don't know how they'll do it, but I really hope ANet finds a way to balance fights so that, even for large groups, people get split up to different "roles" to take care of every mechanic involved in the fight. No more rolling your face across the keyboard and getting rewarded for it, just because the enemies don't have a way to deal with being outnumbered.

Retro

Edit: Oh shit, Wall of Text crits you for 9999, sorry about that. I also kind of threw this together while getting dinner going so if any of it just trails off I'll explain parts better if people ask.

I think I've talked about this with Retro and Zeroth a few times, and it's related to the World Boss discussion we had a while back. The game's combat is sublime, and all of the basic systems already exist to make fights that require in-depth strategies, but the way open-world PvE encounters happen right now is that groups are able to zerg around to events and completely subvert the intended mechanics.

Meg and I were actually just talking about this because she's finding the dungeons in FFXIV to be much more enjoyable than GW2's. We figured out that it isn't because FFXIV has better combat (unless you're a fan of watching paint dry), but that their dungeon community isn't rancid (more on that in a sec) and their encounter design is tighter. That's always been one of the benefits of the Holy Trinity though; you build encounters that require a very specific configuration of Tank / Healer / DPS and anything else fails. Maybe things have changed, but I don't remember anyone ever doing solo dungeon runs in WoW because the mechanics just didn't allow it (exceptions; when a class had a broken mechanic like Reckobombing or when they out-leveled the content, even I solo'd Onyxia at one point).

The reason I think so many people were attracted to GW2's premise of a 'soft trinity' is because that tightly-designed approach can also feel very restrictive. All of my raiding experiences in past MMOs can be summarized as; "Learn the dance steps, hope everyone else did too," whether I was tanking (which was often the case), damage or heals (which I will admit I did not do very often), and I wanted something that was more twitchy and chaotic. The most fun I ever had in Trinity MMOs were the crazy moments when something bad happened and you had to think and act quickly to recover. Those moments were usually so binary that it could hardly be described as chaos at all; if the Main Tank died, it was a wipe. If the healer died, it was a wipe. It didn't matter if you had an off-tank who could step up or healers who could try to compensate, because the nature of the encounter design usually meant you needed those people up and around because the off-tank or secondary healers had their own dance steps they had to do and couldn't also fill in for the downed player (only certain classes could rez, only two in combat and one of them had to put a buff on a specific person in advance).

The reason things are so bad in GW2, as I see it, is two fold; the game's encounter design isn't harsh enough and the community's horrible behavior has been allowed to fester for so long that changing it requires a massive shake-up.

As far as the first one goes, I can't say what the developers' intentions are/were, but there's no way stacking should still work and there's no way any of the exploits in the game should exist for as long as they do (some since launch). I don't know if they just don't want to spend time fixing exploits for dungeons because they don't consider it worth the effort or if (more likely) they don't know about them because nobody reports them, but I feel like things like standing on rocks, fence posts and crates to glitch bosses would have been fixed immediately in any other game. Likewise, I think stacking should have been dealt with early and harshly, with a variety of mechanics (everything from bosses having a preference to stay ranged to having powerful AOE abilities that scale up with the number of players in them).

As to the second, a massive shakeup is coming in the form of an expansion, though there's going to be a lot of screaming if the bar is raised even a little by the "I don't play games to think, I just want to relax!" crowd. The community can't have it both ways though; "challenging group content" is incompatible with the current emphasis on efficiency, speed and a rewards-first attitude. The Berserker meta is going to have to make way for one in which survival is essential until the content is mastered, not paved over with tricks like stacking.

Of course, everything goes out the window when it comes to World Bosses, even the ones like Tequatl and Wurm, because you can still have a shitload of people mucking about without gumming up the whole works. Apart from turrets, what part of Tequatl fails if people just stand there and press "1?" Why is it, years later, we still have to yell at people "WP if dead" during Taco? Because those people hit 1 and went AFK (and I bet they still get rewards too).

I mean, we've been having similar problems during Guild Missions; people are so used to there being a huge blob of GAFers on Saturday Nights that everyone is running straight to the exit and waiting for the door to open instead of getting on a curtain to make that happen. I consider GAFers to be a cut above the average gamer in terms of teamwork and situational awareness, but it's still super easy to fall into the "someone else will handle it" mentality.

That's why world bosses are never going to be "Challenging group content"; the fact that so many people are involved means personal responsibility cannot be tracked or punished. The sooner they move away from those as the main reward schemes, the better. Naturally, as they add more content with (hopefully) better rewards World Bosses will be more like cool, big events if you happen to be in the area rather than something everyone sets their clock to and does in a great big loop.

We'll have to see what this new challenging stuff is, but I'm 90% sure it won't be stackable and 100% sure it won't be zergable. Nothing would make me happier than for people to set foot into this new content and try to stack up, only for the boss to look at them, laugh at them, and then nuke them all from orbit at once. I doubt it will happen, but I think everyone should prepare themselves for change (probably not to the existing dungeons though).

Semi-related Schadenfreude Alert: Nike's comments on that WP video are atrocious, seeing his very meek little "Thanks for the Reply, Colin" as he slips back into his snooty little hole after getting told is just... delicious.

I love that comment if only because there's something to finally shut up Nike and his self righteousness. In other news, Brazil has become more of a cool guy in my eyes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajZCyIAVuMg

You know what I'm talkin' 'bout.

Part of the way through, Nike was arguing the right things, just (very much) the wrong way and for the wrong reasons. It really doesn't make any sense why he jumped to the conclusions that he did. It was a "What the hell are you talking about? Who are you talking to?" moment.

What Colin said was exactly what DnT proposes in their builds for how content should work (players sharing support, control, and DPS roles), but somehow Nike lost all sight of what was said. He went off acting like Colin was telling everyone the trinity was going to be implemented tomorrow and the game as we know it would be destroyed.

Ashodin

TBH I always try to reach the "interact and help open doors" objectives in Guild Missions - if I can't because someone is already doing that, I make it a point to do scouting out of any potential stuff to help (where the next battery is for the door, etc).

nataku

Edit:
We'll have to see what this new challenging stuff is, but I'm 90% sure it won't be stackable and 100% sure it won't be zergable. Nothing would make me happier than for people to set foot into this new content and try to stack up, only for the boss to look at them, laugh at them, and then nuke them all from orbit at once. I doubt it will happen, but I think everyone should prepare themselves for change (probably not to the existing dungeons though)..

See, I hope this to be true, but as long as they don't fix things like stacking and the exploits they're just doing their entire game and combat engine a disservice. People go through the entire game using those tactics because ANet allows it, and people expect things to work that way. Less so with the exploits, because I'm sure most people can tell that's wrong when doing it, but especially with stacking. They have to go back and fix the old content to prevent things like stacking if they're going to get rid of it in HoT, IMO. New players get conditioned to play the game a certain way, because that's the way everyone else does it, and ANet hasn't done anything to prevent or counter it. It hurts the game overall and I think ignoring it in dungeons and elsewhere is a poor solution.

It's the main thing I'm concerned about with challenging content. If players do find ways to stack, will ANet redesign and tweak things as necessary to fix that? I would hope so, since they're supposed to be difficult. But explorable mode in dungeons were supposed to be difficult, too, and they've let stacking run wild in there.

Retro

Part of the way through, Nike was arguing the right things, just (very much) the wrong way and for the wrong reasons. It really doesn't make any sense why he jumped to the conclusions that he did. It was a "What the hell are you talking about? Who are you talking to?" moment.

What Colin said was exactly what DnT proposes in their builds for how content should work (players sharing support, control, and DPS roles), but somehow Nike lost all sight of what was said. He went off acting like Colin was telling everyone the trinity was going to be implemented tomorrow and the game as we know it would be destroyed.

It's really all very odd because he's screaming at people in all caps about how Jon Peters said one thing years ago and Colin said something on Friday and those two comments are somehow completely incompatible with each other and anyone who thinks they are is (actual quotes) a "hopeless fool" who is "wallowing in delusion." The article he's referring to (but couldn't find, though it took me all of 5 seconds) is pretty clear; "no dedicated healers" (emphasis mine), control is "simply a tool that players have at their disposal." Everyone can do a little of everything and has to work together. The problem with GW2 as it exists now is that players have figured out ways to remove the need for that kind of skillful play by exploiting weaknesses in the AI (stacking) and burning the enemies down before they can inflict enough damage (zerker meta).

Colin's comments are similar; "We never said we don't want to have the DPS, tank and healer in the game, I think that's a common misconception. We never said we don't want those things, what we said we don't want those people locked in to one of those roles forever (Rubi adds; "Right, and not be able to do anything else", to which Colin agrees). The point being made is pretty clear; there is "tanking" via control and "healing" via support, but they're not something one person can ever do alone. Even goofing off with Ventari Stance this weekend it's been obvious you can't use it to keep anyone topped off if they're trying to face-tank a mob. It's about cooperation and diversity. I don't know what Nike thinks is going to happen, but you'd have to be insane to get "Holy Trinity is coming in HoT" from that (and the fact that Reddit didn't immediately flip out about it Friday means they understood that, or they were completely distracted by the Revenant / Stronghold test. Given that it's Reddit, the Affront Page of the Internet, I'm inclined to believe it was the former.

Beyond that, DnT is not and never has been the problem, because if they closed up shop tomorrow and never posted another thing about GW2 again, another group would step up to fill the same role. A large portion of the community either can't or doesn't want to figure out the game on their own, and for that they fill a valued role (though the problem that emerges there is that playing with an ultra-optimized build without the skill-set to use it properly results in lots of death, but that's on players, not DnT).

The problem with DnT, as far as I'm concerned, is the attitude some of their members often display and the emphasis they put playing the game their way while dismissing everyone who doesn't as 'ruining it for them'. I haven't finished Brazil's videos, but his comments about kicking Necros and Rangers from groups is the kind of thing certain people in DnT have fostered in the community. Nike's comments on Youtube are a prime example of that mentality.

TBH I always try to reach the "interact and help open doors" objectives in Guild Missions - if I can't because someone is already doing that, I make it a point to do scouting out of any potential stuff to help (where the next battery is for the door, etc).

I wasn't blaming anyone in particular, it's just something I've been seeing more and more of and really noticed Saturday Night when we had people standing at the gate even after I had asked for help. We ended up having a PUG take one of the curtains and I ended up pulling one, messaging it to you, whispering an emote to someone who's curtain hadn't opened yet while jumping upstairs to a curtain a PUG had decided to abandon. If I hadn't made it we would have had to start all over again because people took off as soon as their curtains opened.

See, I hope this to be true, but as long as they don't fix things like stacking and the exploits they're just doing their entire game and combat engine a disservice. People go through the entire game using those tactics because ANet allows it, and people expect things to work that way. Less so with the exploits, because I'm sure most people can tell that's wrong when doing it, but especially with stacking. They have to go back and fix the old content to prevent things like stacking if they're going to get rid of it in HoT, IMO. New players get conditioned to play the game a certain way, because that's the way everyone else does it, and ANet hasn't done anything to prevent or counter it. It hurts the game overall and I think ignoring it in dungeons and elsewhere is a poor solution.

It's the main thing I'm concerned about with challenging content. If players do find ways to stack, will ANet redesign and tweak things as necessary to fix that? I would hope so, since they're supposed to be difficult. But explorable mode in dungeons were supposed to be difficult, too, and they've let stacking run wild in there.

I agree, it would be an incredible disappointment if HoT launched and didn't solve these problems, because there's really only two options as far as I can tell; make an entirely new game or fix it as early as possible. For the sake of argument let's assume that this is a major overhaul and the earliest they would have been able to make such sweeping changes is the expansion; if HoT is released and stacking is still a thing, they've pretty much decided that it's always going to be a thing.

As Ike said, the combat in this game is sublime, easily the best of any MMO I've played; enough options that you can really dig in and create a unique build, with enough action to keep it from feeling like rote skill spamming, and none of the clunkiness that other action-oriented MMOs have because they're attempting to superficially mimic straight-up action games like Monster Hunter (with none of the reasons for that weightiness to exist). That's why it stings so much when I don't get to enjoy it and why I'm so vehemently anti-stacking; every time I run a dungeon and people start to stack, I go along with it because that's just what people want to do but it's hard not to feel sad about it.

I am extremely impress at how people blindly listen to someone like Nike JUST because he takes the time to make a video.

Then again it goes to show how sad sometimes guild wars 2 forum players can be and yet every single day they act shock and surprise when Arena net has to use PR speak.

I made some more 18 slot bags and threw them in the Guild Stash, feel free to grab them if you're in need. You'll need lots of bag space for the Arah 4 event this weekend so if you're coming and you don't have at least 18 slot bags, those are for you!

To make room I took some of the random stuff that people probably wouldn't ever use and converted it into money, threw it in the Deep Cave for the transfer fund. No idea how much it actually was so I rounded up and put a few gold in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom