• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| We've got fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not being able to access Guild Chat stinks.

How am I supposed to beta test HotW if I can't fight underwater?

Since I was lucky enough to be on the top of the page,,,

THE RUINED CITY OF ARAH: SEER PATH (PATH 4)

SUNDAY JULY 19, DIRECTLY FOLLOWING GUILD MAKE-UP MISSIONS (~4:30 PM EDT)

Event Leaders: UltimateIke, appletoasty, Levyne, and Zeroth

tumblr_noisbaRChB1uw05wlo7_r1_1280.jpg

Challenging Content Ahead! GAFGuild Tackles the Hardest Dungeon!

Arah Path 4 is notorious as one of the game's toughest challenges, and we're here to make sure everyone has a good time completing it while proving that friendships will overcome all hardships!
We will step into the dungeon together with as many people as we can find and assemble the greatest teams GAFGuild has ever seen, all to do battle with Zhaitan's most loyal and powerful undead minions.

Requirements:
  • A level 80 character - Preferably one that is reasonably well-equipped and that you are comfortable playing as. Just be ready to adapt when a fight calls for it!
  • Powerful Potions of Undead Slaying - We will provide these if necessary to anyone unable to acquire them.
  • Mumble - You won't have to talk, but you will need to listen! We can use Guild and Party Chats for small things, but it will benefit everyone if we can mass communicate via voice chat.
  • Time and Patience - We will do our best to shoot for finishing in less than two hours, but we don't want to leave anyone behind! It may take some groups longer than others to clear each challenge, so please be willing to wait and cheer them on so everyone succeeds!
Recommendations:
  • Superior Sigils of Undead Slaying - Any spare weapons you can fit the sigils onto will greatly benefit from the effect within Arah.

THE TEAMS

*The number of parties will change depending on how many people we can get to commit. We want each party to be a mix of both more and less experienced players to ensure everyone is able to help where they are needed most.
*Any team formats suggested here are purely preliminary and will be adjusted as needed.

TEAM 1
☆UltimateIke (Warrior)
  • Emitan (Thief)
  • Tech-Wolf (Guardian)
  • Taffer (Necromancer)
  • -
TEAM 2
☆appletoasty (Thief/Mesmer?)
  • Quenk (Elementalist/Ranger)
  • Proven (Warrior)
  • -
  • -
TEAM 3
☆Levyne (Guardian?)
  • tiijj (?)
  • chuunibyou (Thief?)
  • Wanderer5 (Enigineer/Warrior)
  • -
TEAM 4
☆Zeroth (Elementalist?)
  • Retro (Engineer?)
  • Ashodin (Guardian)
  • Shiokazu (Elementalist)
  • -
TEAM 5+
TBD

nataku

I know that unusual thing that popped up in the PvP window was a while ago, but I noticed Colin posted on reddit about the Stronghold changes so I clicked on his name and noticed he posted a reply in the thread where people were speculating it was build templates.

It's not build templates- that was your one guess, no guesses left!
Usual stuff -> Templates was a great feature for Gw1, it's something that I think would be great for Gw2. We already announced the major features for HoT, our focus is on polishing those, as well as getting to announcing the details of all the ones we haven't yet given any details on.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3b4z6j/something_new_in_the_pvp_build_window/csjg23v

Doesn't sound like templates are something I would expect any time soon.

I know that unusual thing that popped up in the PvP window was a while ago, but I noticed Colin posted on reddit about the Stronghold changes so I clicked on his name and noticed he posted a reply in the thread where people were speculating it was build templates.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3b4z6j/something_new_in_the_pvp_build_window/csjg23v

It was never a secret, they even made a post months ago debunking the possibility of builds appearing.

Mxrz

People are going to rage when they realize nothing done on a beta character is saved to your main account on any map. You get a copy of your bank as it was, so unless you had ascended trinkets in there, no way to do higher level fractals that I can think of.

Proven

The pop up was likely a draft of the Mist Warrior tab. It's there right now if you want to check it.

Got two games of Stronghold in before I had to go. Guild Chat was quiet though, and I see now it's because of Revenants not having guild access. Oh well. Won both games, but there's hardly anyone playing right now.

Retro

POI just covered why Revenant is Human-only; animations and VA are not finalized.

People are going to rage when they realize nothing done on a beta character is saved to your main account on any map. You get a copy of your bank as it was, so unless you had ascended trinkets in there, no way to do higher level fractals that I can think of.

There's a big banner at the top of your screen about it and on all the load screens, and they literally just shouted that during the live stream... so... yeah, people are still going to rage.

Wanderer5

POI just covered why Revenant is Human-only; animations and VA are not finalized.

There's a big banner at the top of your screen about it and on all the load screens, and they literally just shouted that during the live stream... so... yeah, people are still going to rage.

Make sense with all that, but what about guild access.:(

Also saw your char name before I headed out, and lol.

Retro

Make sense with all that, but what about guild access.:(

Also saw your char name before I headed out, and lol.

No guild or TP access, which kind of sucks but it's understandable with the account restrictions (I can imagine it would be a problem if you got a precursor as a drop and then put it in the guild bank to give to your "real" characters).

And yeah, I love that I jumped on and the first thing I got was a whisper saying "Hahahaha, that name, OMG."

Quenk

Now that I know more about how some of that stuff works, I don't think they should allow people that forge precursors on their beta character to keep them. It has the potential to be abused since deleting and remaking your character gives you back the equipment boxes which essentially leads to free forging.

Precursors actually dropping from a mob would be a different story though.

Mxrz

My impression so far dungeon/pvp - Pretty good in organized groups that need utility, complete disaster in unorganized and bad teams. Limited stun breaks. Can't do jack to a lot of the wacky ass condition/burst pvp builds from the last patch. Good chunk of that might just be inexperience with the class.

CoF1 boss - full zerk. Mace/axe, dmg way, way lower than the usual guardian & warrior bits. Same with SE3 bosses. Pug groups do feel much worse lately (super low ap, racial slurs, etc.) but numbers are numbers.

Staff is a cool and fun to use. . .just can't see it doing much in current pve. Maybe HoT will have more useful situations.

Wanderer5

I just named mine Grimm Redgrave heh. Redgrave is a nod to Dante from DMC (Tony Redgrave was a alias he used a couple times in one of the novels and animated series).

Levyne

Banned
Kyanos Kthimi

Was planning on making something not human when the expansion comes, but I dunno, could live with this now that I'm used to it

screenshot56255_crssefs2f.png

Mxrz

Yes, all that torment on mace just tears those stationary bosses apart.

I can't pvp without stun breaks. Get knocked down, dazed, dead. Will be interesting to see if pvp guys stream rev this weekend. I would like to see how they deal with it.

Melee staff makes me want to go play wvw.

Wanderer5

Melee staff feels really weird lol. I definitely haven't gotten into it as much as the cool ass range hammer, but I totally see its potential.

Retro

Early Revenant Impressions:
I've not been super-attentive to stats, damage values or anything like that; mostly I just made a character, went to a lowbie zone and ran around getting a feel for it because that's what ultimately matters to me. Revenant could be the most overpowered iWin class in existence but if I don't enjoy playing it none of that's going to matter.

I've mostly played with Hammer today and I'm happy with how solid it feels. It has a good auto-attack (The 1200 range feels ridiculously far for some reason), a little on the slow side but it hits like a... well... a hammer. That it hits 5 targets also makes it a joy to chuck into crowds. #2 feels like a "more damage" button but the damage/range component makes it feel like a good follow up to #3, which I fell into the groove of using as my opening attack due to the the manual aim and chill component. #4 is a nice defensive option that also gives you ~4 Lifesteal combos because why not, I can see it being used when you go after a crowd that has a few ranged mobs in it. Watching #5's animation does not get old and I can see it falling into the same interrupt / breathing room niche as Mesmer GS #5, but with less space. Having access to two Blast Finishers on Hammer (#3 and 5) just feels insane, and the cooldowns feel like they might be too short but the energy costs should keep it in-line.

I played with staff a little, and range is definitely an issue there; Ash and I had the Skritt Burglar show up and neither of us could keep up with him. #5 is a gap closer, but it also pushes enemies away so if they change direction it may not actually work as intended. I feel like staff is going to shine in dungeons where the passive support will stand out. I wish #4 had a damage component to it, but I can understand that it's sort of like Guardian Staff #4 and I'm perfectly okay with it being a heal / condi cleanse by itself.

Mace / Axe has a lot of room for self combos (Ash and I were able to just pour on stacks of Might using #2 and 3 in a coordinated way) but I haven't spent enough time with it to really feel like I'm doing more than hitting buttons (which is why I plan to level a Revenant manually, to give myself time to learn the class gradually). I'll probably dig into it more tomorrow.

We both feel like Sword / Axe could end up as the crazy Melee DPS spec, unless one of the swords has a leap (I lean towards OH axe because it has both a leap and a pull, but since we know nothing about sword...).

Jalis is fun and his utility skills work well with everything (except the Vengeful Hammers; that was basically useless with Hammer) and I can see him being a good generic stance to back up your main stance with (Mallyx is obviously Boon/Condition-centric, Ventari healing, Shiro probably DPS and Glint control, possibly?).

I didn't play with Ventari enough in combat to appreciate the stance yet. The Tablet is an ingenious healing mechanic that's going to positively shine in the right hands, but it's going to be dismissed as too complicated by people looking for traditional MMO healbotting. It's not that they're bad with it, it's just that I can see some people just clicking with this mechanic and using it like an orchestra conductor and a lot of people wanting to use it but not enjoying it.

I didn't touch Mallyx at all yet, everything there feels like it's a tad complicated and I wanted to get the basics down first.

Last point: Revenants chucking hammers at gobs of enemies, with little baby hammers whirling around, a taunt with a chain-like visual and even a Retribution specialization feels more Paladin-like than any Paladin-like class I've ever played (including Guardian). Sword and Shield could be very interesting on that front. I thought it was kind of funny.

Ashodin

Anet, they subverting the tropes man

Ventari is absolutely the healing legend, and those who wanted a dedicated role like that will appreciate what it has to offer.

Wanderer5

I think that the problem with staff for me, is that even at melee standard, it seems to have a freaking short range lol, despite being a long weapon.

Fishious

Might as well post up my impressions, even though I'm far from a master even at my most played professions. My analysis is probably way off base.

For the first half hour playing the Revenant was kind of awkward. The weapons and heal/utility/elite swapping is so different from every other profession that I kind of fumbled around and failed to be very effective. But after a couple of hours in the silverwastes I have to say I really enjoy it. If not so much for it's combat efficiency, than for the way it controls and plays.

My first hurdle was figuring out stats. I think a lot of people are having trouble with this issue. Berserker is the defacto set to run, but currently there isn't a weapon or legend that seems to benefit heavily from them. It works ok for Hammer, but with it's attack rate and the fact that its a ranged weapon I doubt it's going to hit the kind of numbers people want. Staff is kinda ok, but it's clearly meant more for support and possibly intended to be paired with Ventari's legend which really wants healing power. Mace/ axe deals a lot of its damage through conditions so again, Berserker doesn't work here.

In the end I settled on Mace/ Axe with Mallyx/Ventari using Rampager's gear. Jalis probably would have been a better secondary, but I was having too much fun with Ventari.

Mace/ Axe, like Retro said, has nice self combos. It's essentially a melee set, but has a bit of range with its linear attacks. It deals less damage than other comparable sets for other professions, but hits more enemies and can hit even if they aren't right on top of each other. #1 is a decent chain that stacks on conditions. #2 is a linear fire field with decent reach. The wind up is a little long, but if you use it as you approach the enemy it shouldn't be an issue. #3 moves you a short distance and does another linear attack. Most importantly its a blast finisher. #4 is a 900 teleport. Good as a gap closer if you can hit with it. #5 pulls which is again good for getting enemies outside of your mainhand range into striking distance.

I mainly stayed in Mallyx, but I never really used it well. Utilizing all the utilities was too difficult for me in the couple of hours I played. I mainly just used the elite which gives a nice 10% bonus to all stats. The torment it gives you deals negligible damage and being able to fire back all the conditions the mordrem put on me was great.

As for Ventari I found it pretty great. Even though I clearly wasn't specced for it statwise I felt it was still moderately useful, but tons of fun regardless. Using your heal for the first time summons the tablet, thereafter it becomes a skill which moves the tablet to a ground targeted location and heals a small amount. The "move tablet" skill has a range of 900, but it's worth noting the despawn range for the tablet is much longer. And the 900 range of the skill isn't how far you can move it, it's essentially just how far away from your character you can target. As long as there was nothing between it and me, I could leave it inside Red Rock Bastion and pull it to myself when I'm fighting a mordrem slinger on the north side. It's also important to note that the #7 (projectile block) and #8 (moderate heal) skills don't have a cast time so you can use them while attacking or CC'd.

I've seen a good number of people in map chat being unkind to the Revenant, but I already see a lot of potential. It currently is in a bit of an awkward position though because it doesn't have all its legends or weapons yet. As it is now the class is a bit support heavy which makes it an odd duck when compared to the other professions.

fake edit: While I was typing this it seems Kos has announced his fatherhood. Congratulations Kos.

Proven

Papa Luftar in the house!

My son was born 7 hours ago.
Grats Kos.

Haven't played Revenant, but I hear a lot of people complaining it has no dps line, and most classes have two. The rumored Shiro specialization would need to carry all the PvE weight as far as some people are concerned, when looking at the current dungeon meta.

Then I realized that unlike the core 8 professions, you cannot play Revenant with only five specializations once the game launches; i.e. Revenant is likely balanced around 6 base specializations, one of them happening to be an elite, while the other professions are balanced around 5. Food for thought.

MattyG

Banned
I just found out that you can re-customize appearance with an item from the gem store. I'm definitely going to do that with the gems from when I pre-order my Ultimate Edition of HoT. Gonna get a gender change and make her not as bland as my current look.

Congrats Kos!

Ashodin

ZSVHa1g.jpg

Preliminary Dragonhunter gear transmute. I'm still missing the Dragonhunter gloves, but it's all good. I'm probably going to do a Power/Precision/Toughness gearset, but maybe. It might just be my first Berserker set so who knows!

The idea is that I've ripped pieces of dragons off and I'm wearing them (read: Draconic gear is ugly as hell). Now I'm on the hunt for more dragons to rip pieces off and wear them (Wouldn't a set based on the Wyvern be awesome!)

yukinon

Papa Luftar in the house!

My son was born 7 hours ago.

congrats, papa kos!

So much salt in pvp today, lol. Thanks for the match marathon, Ryuu.

can't do this without ya, lev!

we had to work for our last two wins x.x;

5MqqlMQ.jpg

Ellie (the necro on the other team,) is crazy good at 1v1.
in previous encounters, i couldn't even beat her with my d/d ele. so on this match, i had her on check the whole time.
glad to say that using my guard this match was the perfect counter to her immobalizing/vuln + well one-shot kills.

tl;dr - OP necro owned me in previous matches. finally owned her this match. all is well <-- (pun not intended)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom