• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| We've got fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of news

https://twitter.com/GuildWars2/status/620624204250120192

CJzmbODWgAAmuuX.jpg

Shiokazu

We should do the no news thing more often.

well, we do get some guild events going. and, its nice because we're exploring more, some people starting to experiment on doing things they normally never vouched for. hell, theres people doing even activities.

its a good calm before the storm. when HoT launches its going to be a wild ride, both ingame and in the forums.

QQ will explode to the stratosphere and beyond m8.

nataku

Shiro? I mean, I'm excited to hear about another Revenant legendary, but I wasn't honestly expecting them to do Reverent again since they just did Ventari. Show us some other specializations from other professions.

I still find it a little funny and kind of sad that Druid was announced first but they still haven't showed it off yet.

Wanderer5

Ugh, be nice to actually learn of another profession elite spec and not Revenant for now.:x Anyway well here comes the DPS spec, should be interesting.

Shiokazu

i was there, happily hunting down my karka veterans just for the fun of it. then THE KARKABUSTER TEAM APPEARS AND THE FARMING STARTS AND... i am obliged to find something else to do.

,__, i was trying to not get sad today...

Quenk

Bleh. New stuff is coming up so I may miss the Arah event on Sunday. I'll try to figure out schedule stuff so hopefully I'll be able to make it.

Retro

It feels weird that this week there's nothing new or on sale in the gem store. I don't think there was anything new last week either.

Yeah, I'm surprised considering the Assassin shortbow skin and Harbinger of Mordremoth armor was in the game last week. Maybe they'll get added in later today?

80 Mystic Clovers only spent 20g in Ectos, wish i record that experiment, usually you keep all the t6 mats from failed Mystic Clover tries, but this time around I had all my T6 mats, I sold t6 to fund my ectos, but I had none believers in LA, only took 24 tries to get 80..only twice did i get the crappy worthless t6 mats Cured Leather and Gossamer, the rest of failures were pricey T6 mats i got tons of Vial of Powerful Bloods maybe over 100..

Edit: in reality it was 14g spent could be less if sell the last of the extra T6 mats I got. I started at 420g 2 hours ago and I am at 406g..

I'm kind of interested in this game, but is it too late for me to jump into this game? :/

It'll never be too late to jump in, but it's a decent time to start right now. Expansion is coming soon (ish, no release date announced yet) and the GAF guild is very active, pushing up on max members constantly. If you buy it now you get the base game and the expansion when it comes out.

Elfstruck

It'll never be too late to jump in, but it's a decent time to start right now. Expansion is coming soon (ish, no release date announced yet) and the GAF guild is very active, pushing up on max members constantly. If you buy it now you get the base game and the expansion when it comes out.

Oh, cool! Gonna get the heroic version from Amazon.

Retro

I'm kind of interested in this game, but is it too late for me to jump into this game? :/

Not at all, this isn't that kind of MMO (which can be a good thing or bad depending on what you want out of the experience). There is no gear "treadmill," so once you reach level 80 and obtain a set of Exotic-quality weapons and armor you're more or less done*. Players who reached level 80 and full-exotics at launch and stopped playing have been able to come back without having to 'catch up' to their friends.

Additionally, the developer has stated that there will be no level cap or new gear tier in the upcoming Heart of Thorns expansion, so you don't have to worry in the immediate future.

The game also has two features that will alleviate coming to the game so long after launch. The first is down-leveling, where all characters have their stats and equipment lowered to match the content they're in. Your friends and guildmates can come help you and not only will they not steamroll everything while you watch, but they'll also get rewarded at their 'real' level so it's not a slog for them either.

The second feature are the Megaservers, which basically tries to put as many players into each instance of a zone as possible, regardless of which server they call home. The end result is that zones very rarely feel empty, even though most of the game's population is at max level.

If you'd like an invite to the GAFGuild, just post your account name (it'll be name.####, the numbers are randomly assigned when you create an account) in the OT and we'll get you in. The guild is packed with people happy to help out and answer questions.

* There is one quality tier above exotic ("Ascended"), but they represent only a minor stat update (<10%, give or take a few points) over exotic and take a lot of work to obtain; they're intended as a long term goal and considered quite optional by most players. There are also Legendary-tier weapons, but they're statistically identical to Ascended (they're Legendary in that they have really cool visuals and you can change the stat distribution whenever you want outside of combat). Neither is important to a new player in the slightest, there are lots of people who have been playing for 3 years now who don't have full ascended or a single legendary (myself included), I'm mentioning it because it's something you will inevitably hear about but matters very little in the scheme of things.

That edition doesn't include the expansion like Appletoasty mentioned, just FYI. You can definitely buy the base game now for cheap and get the expansion later if you want, rather than plop down the $50 for the base game + expansion bundle though. Just wanted to make sure you knew that's just the base game there. You can get the game + expansion via their pre-purchase page. Since the digital version looks out of stock at Amazon, that'd be the fastest way to get it instead of waiting for a boxed copy.

Also, for what it's worth, the Deluxe edition (of both the base game and Heart of Thorns) isn't really worth picking up as the extras they include are cosmetic / novelty type stuff (mini-pets, that sort of thing). You can always upgrade to the deluxe edition later if you decide you want them (and you can buy the upgrade via in-game currency as well if you're absolutely against paying real money), but for most new players we generally suggest just getting the Heroic edition.

Proven

Yeah, sorry. The bad news is that the game is in this weird transition phase where a brand new player needs to spend $50 to get good value, or buy a super cheap standard edition as a sort of "preview" of what's to come.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Whoa.

I was lucky I finished teq and got the loot, since after jumping from Sparkfly to LA suddenly my game couldn't connect.

When gold sellers decide to get extra annoying...

screenshot403158_resu8mp7i.jpg

Flooded me with whispers until I blocked them. Maybe I should have left it just to see how long it would have gone on?

Retro

Yikes. Unless I'm mistaken, that's a new spammer site (not that I pay them much mind), I haven't seen that message before. They're...um... eager.

I was trying to learn how to solo the swamp fractal as a mesmer last night. First I had to roll forever to get swamp, and then I had to roll forever to get the right configuration of wisps (some of them are too far to portal).

Took me 30 minutes to finally get what I needed. Figured out what I needed to do, went to drop portal and... nothing... none of my skills would work, I could roll around without using endurance... and then I got disconnected

(&#9583;°&#9633;°&#65289;&#9583;&#65077; &#9531;&#9473;&#9531;

ANET PLS

I was trying to learn how to solo the swamp fractal as a mesmer last night. First I had to roll forever to get swamp, and then I had to roll forever to get the right configuration of wisps (some of them are too far to portal).

Took me 30 minutes to finally get what I needed. Figured out what I needed to do, went to drop portal and... nothing... none of my skills would work, I could roll around without using endurance... and then I got disconnected

ANET PLS
ANET wants people to play together. Stop being a loner.

leng jai

ANET PLS

Someone hasn't spent enough on gems this year.

Elfstruck

That edition doesn't include the expansion like Appletoasty mentioned, just FYI. You can definitely buy the base game now for cheap and get the expansion later if you want, rather than plop down the $50 for the base game + expansion bundle though. Just wanted to make sure you knew that's just the base game there. You can get the game + expansion via their pre-purchase page. Since the digital version looks out of stock at Amazon, that'd be the fastest way to get it instead of waiting for a boxed copy.

Yeah, sorry. The bad news is that the game is in this weird transition phase where a brand new player needs to spend $50 to get good value, or buy a super cheap standard edition as a sort of "preview" of what's to come.

Ah, thanks guys!

mikeGFG

Banned
Hey dudes: I'm coming back to GW2 after a long hiatus, and I'm not exactly sure what I'm suppose to be doing or aiming for [PVE]

Last time I played, the new Tequatl fight was about to be released, as well as Ascended weapons.

Apparently I've missed all of Living Story Season 2, Ascended Armor, Dry Top, and the Silverwastes.

My question is two fold, how do I craft or find this new Ascended gear, and where do players gold/event farm nowadays?

Thanks!

Levyne

Banned
The primary way of getting ascended gear is to craft them with the armor or weapon disciplines at level 500. You can start refining some of the materials you need (Bloodstone, Dragonite, Empyreal) at 450. Bloodstone is mostly from champ bags, dragonite from events, and empyreal from dungeons, but just play the game normally and you will accumulate them, don't worry. The other parts you refine at 450 take lower Tier versions of like, wood and ore and stuff.

You need the recipes from the vendor or trading post (but most from the vendor) which cost gold and laurels.

You can sometimes get weapon boxes from Teq or rarely from pvp or wvw rewards, more commonly from fractals but not a sure thing. Depending on the type of box you might not get the stat spread you want but they recently added a way to switch an ascended weapon's stats using the forge. Getting a freebit Settler hammer and paying a little bit to convert it to whatever you want is way less a hassle than making one from scratch, for instance.

In short, crafting is the only sure way, but Fractal/Teq freebies are nice to get.

For gold, most people I know do Dungeons, usually. Silverwaste chest farming or Bloodtide coast treatbag farming are good sources too. I don't usually play the trading post, except to sell whatever I accumulate naturally if it spikes in price for whatever reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom